HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Kovalev, Tomas Plekanec, Sergei Kostitsyn...what's wrong with them?

Old
02-01-2009, 06:09 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
kovalev - no hope. too old

plekanec - expectations too high for him. afraid of physical play. way too perimeter

sergei - only guy we have hope for. he needs a good mentor to teach him to play hard all the time. under dale in london u can tell he had a fighters attitude so despite his size he can play tough. much like he did last year.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
It's strange that the name of Andrei K has not be added to this discussion.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
AK46 hasn't been nearly as bad as the 3 mentioned in this thread.

As long as Andrei isn't on a line with Kovalev he's a pretty dangerous player. Best shot on the team and he's been using it lately.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Answer is to play them on the same line.......

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:07 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Alex Kovalev - Does he not realize that it's his contract year? Last season, he was dangerous EVERY time he touched the puck. I really wish he could pull it together. It seems that he's been doing the same deke to get into the other teams zone for 3 years now..and lately he's been failing alot more than succeeding. It's gotten to the point where I just wish Carbo wouldn't use him on the PP at all. He's not dangerous AT ALL with the puck this year IMO, and I'm growing tired of his 11 turnovers per game.

Tomas Plekanec - He really is playing like a little girl this season. He seems to lack confidence out there and he's not setting up beautiful plays like in the past. He's a very skilled guy, but you wouldn't know that if you just started watching the Habs this year. I'd even say he's been completely invisible on MANY nights this season. I think he could be a regular 70 point guy in this league..I just wish he'd show us more.

Sergei Kostitsyn - This may not be a popular opinion, but I honestly think with the way he's been playing this year...he belongs in Hamilton. I think he's going to be a really good player for us down the road...but what the hell is wrong with him? On many nights he looks like our slowest player and nothing really ever happens when he has the puck. Sophmore slump possibly? Either way, he's been awful.

There's really only 3 or so players who are having good seasons..but these 3 players in particular have really dissapointed me this season. If they could step up their games it'd be a start to get this team back on track.

What do you guys think?
They aren't North American, they ain't tough and don't have the same passion and love we have for the game.

Ask Burke, hell look at our last Cup winner...no Euro's!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:13 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Andrei K has looked pretty strong the last few games I thought. Other then when hes with Kovalev that is.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Adam91

Kovy has been very bad the last 2 games. Besides that hes had a few bad games but mostly bad luck.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Wow, very insightful, thank you for the time you took to share your wisdom with us

Hey Pazuzu,

I was responding to Habsfan18 who asked......" What do you guys think?"

And, being the thoughtful person that I am - I figured I had better simplify my response in order to give a person like yourself an opportunity to understand it!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
Andrei K has looked pretty strong the last few games I thought. Other then when hes with Kovalev that is.
He's as soft as the three others. The problem with him is that he shows some flashes of being the physical talented guy that we need but it's always only for a short while. He was invisible again tonight.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Ross MacLochness

I was done with Kovalev in November. Used to love him, but this guy can't be the centerpiece to our offense, thats just embarrassing. Last year was magic, but its long gone.

AKost has made him replaceable. Andrei is basically a more efficient, younger and cheaper version of Kovalev. Lose Kovalev, Tanguay and get a real number 1 offensive threat. Then guys like AK46, Sergei, Koivu, Higgins, etc are the perfect compliments.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
They aren't North American, they ain't tough and don't have the same passion and love we have for the game.

Ask Burke, hell look at our last Cup winner...no Euro's
!

Excellent points - couldn't disagree!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I thought Pleks has been better the last couple of games. SK and Kovalev have been bad though.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Whether we like them or not, unless there's a trade we'll need to go forward with the healthy bodies.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:35 PM
smon

Plekanec really looked much better than he is last season due to his two linemates clicking. He's a solid two-way player, but his offensive talents always seemed a little suspect.

Kovalev has been this way his entire career. He's just a maddeningly enigmatic piece of work and essentially every coach's nightmare.

SK is picking up bad habits as a result of getting too much, too early. Headed down the Latendresse (although Lats was playing better) route of making the team young but not working hard enough to stay on it. Honestly - he doesn't score, takes stupid penalties and is generally just not working hard. He's got the talent to do it, just slacking.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:45 PM
JAVO16

This is a pretty funny thread considering there's a good chance that these 3 players might play on the same line next game.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Corgidequebec

Plecs...still trying, gripping the stick to much.
Kovalev...Never a winner, only with Mark Messier around.
Kostitsyn...Why should I worry about ice time? Alex can not hustle and he never gets benched.

Sitting Kovalev is better as an example to the other Russians, but it will wreck him. He is strong physically and weak mentally.

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Andy

Quote:
Maybe because he leads our team in goals? Is only 10 points from leading our team in points despite being injured and playing for God knows how many games on a line that didn't work(Plekanec and Kovalev). Everytime he plays without Kovalev he becomes a dangerous player and Remember he only was taken away from Kovalev around 25 games into the season imagine. Don't forget that he does this with very little icetime and he's not even top 5 in icetime for forwards!

Oh did you forget he's the only player aside from Koivu who knows how to play in front of the net, he's one of our better players at protecting the puck along the boards. Oh right, he has the hardest shot on our team, the most raw talent...why you're calling him out? I don't know, I think maybe you should stop listening to Brunet.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Alfredsson11

Kovalev will pick up his play next year when he is given the C and Koivu signs with Minneosta

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:27 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan75 View Post
Kovalev will pick up his play next year when he is given the C and Koivu signs with Minneosta
Yeah, he'll make a nice line with Spezza.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:36 PM
mario66lemieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Maybe because he leads our team in goals? Is only 10 points from leading our team in points despite being injured and playing for God knows how many games on a line that didn't work(Plekanec and Kovalev). Everytime he plays without Kovalev he becomes a dangerous player and Remember he only was taken away from Kovalev around 25 games into the season imagine. Don't forget that he does this with very little icetime and he's not even top 5 in icetime for forwards!

Oh did you forget he's the only player aside from Koivu who knows how to play in front of the net, he's one of our better players at protecting the puck along the boards. Oh right, he has the hardest shot on our team, the most raw talent...why you're calling him out? I don't know, I think maybe you should stop listening to Brunet.
Andrei has been terribly inconsistent this year. All of those things are excuses.

He needs to play up to potential, case closed. That means having more then 13 assists and 30 pts with 30 games to go.

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:

I wonder if there's any way, we fans, could have him fired... he sucks so bad, he's a pain in the ass, everytime he open his mouth, it's a rant against an Euro player, or he plays Captain Obvious, or he juggle with his words... he simply miss the chance to shut up too often...

But as for your post, I agree with you, while not the most intense player on the ice, I'm really tired to read posts about him being soft, doing nothing on the ice, or whatever... is he supposed to be SuperKost ? Ok he made a glaring mistake on the last play... but it's called 'Learn by mistakes'. He's still incredibly raw, but still has alot of upside... to me, he's some kind of Belarus PF, as he's very strong, can hit like a truck, and can park himself in front of the net, and his shot is a beauty to watch, especially on the RW.

As for Kovy, I so hope he wake up... but I wonder if he can at all, if the expectations and the pressure the fans put on him, is too hard to handle...

Plekanec, I was so happy to see him score last game, he just need to find his confidence back, he's playing better. Expectations were too high for him too, he's not a 1st line player, but a very good 2nd line speedy playmaking center.

And SK... work ethic, work ethic, work ethic ! He just seem not to care at all... I miss the fire he had last season, the puck handling and passing game he had. Now all he's good to, is on the PK... he could be a 2nd liner, as he has the skillset, but somebody need to kick his ass !

Anyway, they probably will see more time now that Lats is out for 1 month, and Lang, well, perhaps forever

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66lemieux View Post
Andrei has been terribly inconsistent this year. All of those things are excuses.

He needs to play up to potential, case closed. That means having more then 13 assists and 30 pts with 30 games to go.

See this is the problem with habs fans, they overrate their players to the point where they disappoint themselves and turn on the player. Do you guys really expect Andrei to be a 50 goal scorer 90 point player??? You're getting exactly what you see a 30-35 goal scorer and 55-65 point player.

He's still very raw, only his second full nhl season and has already elevated his game to be one of our key players on our team...what more do you want? He's the only player, who plays remotely like a powerforward on our team.

Oh and I'll agree with you that he hasnt played up to his potential, but he's only 23 and it's his second year in the nhl, he's not even in his prime yet and you're asking for the kitchen sink, only in Montreal are the fans impatient with youth. Maybe that's why our players do well elsewhere...because the coaches let them develop without putting the world on their shoulders. Btw, what more do you want then our leading goal scorer, and could possibly lead forwards in points by the end of the season.

Old
02-01-2009, 08:47 PM
mario66lemieux*

Quote:
See this is the problem with habs fans, they overrate their players to the point where they disappoint themselves and turn on the player. Do you guys really expect Andrei to be a 50 goal scorer 90 point player??? You're getting exactly what you see a 30-35 goal scorer and 55-65 point player.

He's still very raw, only his second full nhl season and has already elevated his game to be one of our key players on our team...what more do you want? He's the only player, who plays remotely like a powerforward on our team.
That's the thing, he has not played as well as he did in the last half of last year, not even close.

He used to be amazing to watch, dominant with the puck, used to make sweet plays. He was sick, and he showed he has all the talents of a 35-45-80 pt player. But he has 30 pts this year, VERY dissapointing.

Old
02-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66lemieux View Post
That's the thing, he has not played as well as he did in the last half of last year, not even close.

He used to be amazing to watch, dominant with the puck, used to make sweet plays. He was sick, and he showed he has all the talents of a 35-45-80 pt player. But he has 30 pts this year, VERY dissapointing.
Very disappointing to the expectations you placed on him, that's your fault. His disapointing season might allow him to lead our team in goals and points among forwards by the end of the year...which tells you something about his progression, so to blame Andrei and call him out is in my opinion not right.

What more can you ask for than a forward who's been juggled around all year because our coach can't keep stable lines to score 30 goals in his second nhl season?

Fans asking too much? I think so.

Old
02-01-2009, 08:54 PM
mario66lemieux*

Quote:
Very disappointing to the expectations you placed on him, that's your fault. His disapointing season might allow him to lead our team in goals and points among forwards by the end of the year...which tells you something about his progression, so to blame Andrei and call him out is in my opinion not right.

What more can you ask for than a forward who's been juggled around all year because our coach can't keep stable lines to score 30 goals in his second nhl season?

Fans asking too much? I think so.
Thats the thing though. Kovalev should not even be close to him in points with the way he has been playing this year, yet he has 7 more points then Kost. That's just not good at all.