HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Eager

Old
01-31-2009, 08:24 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

vCash: 500
Asham > Eager

i'd even go as far as saying Gratton > Eager

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:57 PM
BringBackStevens

ive liked eager since day one

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:26 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Eager was more of a thorn in the Flyer's sides than the opposing team's. He took so many bad penalties. We have Hartnell for that now, who takes less stupid reactionary penalties and he actually contributes positively, unlike Eager.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:31 PM
Winston Wolf

I've seen less than a handful of games the entire year, but I read that the Flyers are undisciplined and have a penalty problem. If that is so, Ben Eager is probably the last player this team needs. Hartnell brings some of the same things that Eager does, but is 10x the player.

I've always liked Eager and his style of play, but this team and it's reputation don't need someone with the reckless abandon of Ben Eager.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
i'm sorry, but josh gratton is the same player that eager is--he doesn't take a night off and has the ability to forecheck. roll out gratton-metro-asham for the playoffs.
Eager is a much better skater and has better hands than Gratton. I was never much of a fan of his but Stevens did certainly misuse him. He's probably a much more valuable player in Chicago or wherever he is.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 01:12 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
i'm sorry, but josh gratton is the same player that eager is--he doesn't take a night off and has the ability to forecheck. roll out gratton-metro-asham for the playoffs.
no way...gratton has 2 career goals?

eager is a better skater & has more (not a lot) offensive ability.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 01:14 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Eager was more of a thorn in the Flyer's sides than the opposing team's. He took so many bad penalties. We have Hartnell for that now, who takes less stupid reactionary penalties and he actually contributes positively, unlike Eager.
the idea isn't eager over hartnell, that's a no brainer...it's eager over cote.

Old
02-01-2009, 01:48 PM
sharkeyanti

Was that Eager or Fedoruk who had that saaaaaaawwwwwwwweeeeet backhand breakaway goal a couple years back? I think it was in some like 5-1 rout. Whoever it was stole the puck at the blueline near side and threw down a pretty solid deke.

sharkeyanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I remember Eager at one point having a pretty sweet goal

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Wud

I saw two Chicago games this year, and Eager scored in both of them.

Also played on the second line.

Wud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
the idea isn't eager over hartnell, that's a no brainer...it's eager over cote.
eager and cote are two different players

eager is an agitator, cote is a, well, he used to be a legit fighter

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:05 PM
miltons rules

Miss Eager ? not at all, when we need one of our players to get beatup we send out Cote now!

miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:05 PM
pcgflyers12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
I miss Dowd, Thor, and Kappy much more than I miss Eager.
o yea, especially Kappy. I would like to see eager again in a flyer uniform but, i think he fits in better as a 'Hawk

pcgflyers12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:02 PM
bney7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Totally agree, especially last year he did absolutely nothing. I think the org had fairly high hopes for him after his 06-07 year.

But he was really having a bad year, he had 0 points and was taking stupid penalty after stupid penalty. He also had a knack for starting things with other teams fighters, but then would hide from them the rest of the game. There were also rumors that he was a big partyer and the org pretty much shipped him out as a wakeup call for the other young guys who enjoy partying all the time.

I'll take Asham over him personally, the only thing Eager really did better was agitate, but Upshall/Hartnell make up for that in my mind.

bney7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:12 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by bney7 View Post
Totally agree, especially last year he did absolutely nothing. I think the org had fairly high hopes for him after his 06-07 year.

But he was really having a bad year, he had 0 points and was taking stupid penalty after stupid penalty. He also had a knack for starting things with other teams fighters, but then would hide from them the rest of the game. There were also rumors that he was a big partyer and the org pretty much shipped him out as a wakeup call for the other young guys who enjoy partying all the time.

I'll take Asham over him personally, the only thing Eager really did better was agitate, but Upshall/Hartnell make up for that in my mind.
he had a bad start...first week of the season he had a concussion and really came back too soon...stevens d*cked around w/ with like he did with upshall and downie so he never found a groove.

as for penalties, the whole team was under the microscope after the downie and boulerice incidents...
i don't have a problem w/ upshall, hartnell or asham...well, asham a little bit...he plays hard but doesn't play with enough of an edge sometimes.

upshall is balls to the wall every night but can only do so much damage at 180lbs.

hartnell logs a lot of minutes plus killing penalties and PP so i understand him having to pace himself at times.

like i said he isn't the key to the cup but i wish the flyers had another player like him right now. anybody no what sean avery is up to?

Old
02-02-2009, 12:14 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
in nhl 09 im doing a dynasty mode with the hawks... first move i made was trade eager. i dont even remember or care what i got in return.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:58 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Asham > Eager

i'd even go as far as saying Gratton > Eager
lets not foget that eager was a 1st rd pick by the coyotes and was a big scorer for that ahl team. he just didnt have the speed to perform at that level in the nhl. he was trying to find a home and a role with the flyers and the position of energy player/enforcer was open. his audition didnt go too well. on a skill level though he had better stuff then asham or gratton. but on gritt and the ability to actually win a fight, the stuff you need in that role hes the worst of the 3. just my opinion gratton>asham>eager in that department.

the guy i really miss is rj. watching that interview earlier this season felt like reading a kids letters home from camp. "i miss the team" "i really miss all the guys" i wanted him to just pack up and come home. take off that stupid other team jersey and be welcomed back into the fam with open arms.

the guys who were a part of that calder team when there was no nhl to watch and then the year that we sucked they hold a special place for me. i like think they were feeling my pain. theres a bond thats there when your that good and that bad. i think both experiences did alot to gel the core of this team together and i remember them fondly for it.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:19 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
Anybody miss this guy?

I know he'll never live down losing a fight to gary roberts (people act like he lost to julia roberts) but watching a lot of games this season i miss having someone that is a constant thorn in the opponents backside.

upshall brings it every night but there is only so much damage you can do at 190lbs. i like hartnell and asham but there are too many nights when they don't play with an edge. as for cote, let's face it the guys a wasted roster spot, too slow to forecheck and not worth keeping as an enforcer. hell, i'd rather have thor back.

when i watch 'hawks games you can see dmen going back to get the puck know when he is on the ice and he always finishes his checks. i am not saying he is the key to the cup (8 goals, 11 pts, and +4) but we miss that intensity on too many nights.

is there somene out there that offers that who the flyers can get on the cheap?
I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
another stevens special ther, he didnt like eager, so he was shipped out. much rather have him than asham and cote. they did a terribel job with his development. when they had the bad year they forced him into a role( enforcer) that he had no business being put into. he did ok but he has more to offer imo. he is a nice secodn option to fight and can play in the 3rd line or 2 for a short periods.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Yea exactly. Eager sucked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Mac View Post
Eager and Sharp are two players I wish never got traded

Ignore everyone that is going to blow this out of proportion and say we are all "loving" some 4th line goon cause I am sure there will be many. I look at it this way.

It is just another example of mismanaging a player in my opinion, it happens often on many teams. He was miscast as a 4th line goon when he really was never meant to be that type of player. He was young, immature and had a lot of developing to do. I still think the guy is capable of being a good 3rd line player that can score 12-15 goal if given the chance. He can skate and doesnt have terrible hands. People forget he was a 1st round pick.

Same as with Downie, and to an extent Upshall last year.....Stevens gets all this credit for being great with young players....Anyone can coach Richards, Carter, etc. who were always mature for their age. It doesnt appear that dealing with the more "loose cannon" types (Downie, Upshall, Eager) is his forte. These guys need to be coached cause they usually they take several years before they mature and reach their effectiveness in the NHL. (Darcy Tucker anybody???)

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:32 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
lets not foget that eager was a 1st rd pick by the coyotes and was a big scorer for that ahl team. he just didnt have the speed to perform at that level in the nhl. he was trying to find a home and a role with the flyers and the position of energy player/enforcer was open. his audition didnt go too well. on a skill level though he had better stuff then asham or gratton. but on gritt and the ability to actually win a fight, the stuff you need in that role hes the worst of the 3. just my opinion gratton>asham>eager in that department.

the guy i really miss is rj. watching that interview earlier this season felt like reading a kids letters home from camp. "i miss the team" "i really miss all the guys" i wanted him to just pack up and come home. take off that stupid other team jersey and be welcomed back into the fam with open arms.

the guys who were a part of that calder team when there was no nhl to watch and then the year that we sucked they hold a special place for me. i like think they were feeling my pain. theres a bond thats there when your that good and that bad. i think both experiences did alot to gel the core of this team together and i remember them fondly for it.
I agree he doesnt have the speed to be a scorer per say in the NHL, but he has good speed for his size and can be a 3rd line guy.

Old
02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
soldmysoul2rocknroll

Brashear is the one that got away. I wish he'd had finished his career in black and orange.
Not to hijack the thread....Eager has time on his side to develop, he could become a legit 3rd/4th line player in time.

soldmysoul2rocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:30 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldmysoul2rocknroll View Post
Brashear is the one that got away. I wish he'd had finished his career in black and orange.
Not to hijack the thread....Eager has time on his side to develop, he could become a legit 3rd/4th line player in time.
He is already at least a legit 4th line player. He is on his way to becoming a legit 3rd line player. He does have 7 more goals than Metropolit after all

Old
02-02-2009, 07:26 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I do.

Agreed.

Ignore everyone that is going to blow this out of proportion and say we are all "loving" some 4th line goon cause I am sure there will be many. I look at it this way.

It is just another example of mismanaging a player in my opinion, it happens often on many teams. He was miscast as a 4th line goon when he really was never meant to be that type of player. He was young, immature and had a lot of developing to do. I still think the guy is capable of being a good 3rd line player that can score 12-15 goal if given the chance. He can skate and doesnt have terrible hands. People forget he was a 1st round pick.

Same as with Downie, and to an extent Upshall last year.....Stevens gets all this credit for being great with young players....Anyone can coach Richards, Carter, etc. who were always mature for their age. It doesnt appear that dealing with the more "loose cannon" types (Downie, Upshall, Eager) is his forte. These guys need to be coached cause they usually they take several years before they mature and reach their effectiveness in the NHL. (Darcy Tucker anybody???)
i agree...people say he wasn't a good enforcer but he shouldn't have been put in that role...he is a decent #2 fighter on a team but mainly an agitator, grinder that can chip in 15 goals (he is on pace for 16).

alot of people say he couldn't win any fights because they are stuck on his fight w/ roberts...i don't think he is a great fighter but you look at some of the wins he had in that 2006 season (orr, gleason, rupp, commodore).

Old
02-03-2009, 09:32 AM
soldmysoul2rocknroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
He is already at least a legit 4th line player. He is on his way to becoming a legit 3rd line player. He does have 7 more goals than Metropolit after all

Very true, I should have stated 3rd line only. All in all I think our fourth line changed too much from last year to have any chemistry. I'd be willing to give Metro at least until the begining of next year to kind of find his role and score at least a few more goals.

soldmysoul2rocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
As a Hawks fan i am extremely happy with Eager!

He plays mostly on our 4th line but at times has played on our 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

He has great hands and speed to keep up with our team. Eager could be a 20 goal scorer if he continues to grow.

Him and Sharp are fan favorites here. And Fraser has done a solid job as our #4 C. Too bad though Fraser is the worst fighter i have ever seen. Cant recall him ever winning a fight!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 08:32 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
As a Hawks fan i am extremely happy with Eager!

He plays mostly on our 4th line but at times has played on our 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

He has great hands and speed to keep up with our team. Eager could be a 20 goal scorer if he continues to grow.

Him and Sharp are fan favorites here. And Fraser has done a solid job as our #4 C. Too bad though Fraser is the worst fighter i have ever seen. Cant recall him ever winning a fight!
i am glad the flyers were able to contribute to the hawks success...we flyers fans feel the same about getting ellison & vandermeer.

i believe fraser was part of the zhamnov trade so i can't complain about that.