HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trade for a Center?

Old
02-01-2009, 09:29 PM
bib
#believe

vCash: 500
All I know is that at this point, some kind of trade or shakeup is imminent. It may not have to be for a center, a top 4 d-man with offensive ability would help immensely, especially when it comes to our struggling powerplay. That's what cost us against the B's IMO.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:29 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

We should be able to pick up Doug Weight for fairly cheap. He's playing very well this year and brings a ton of experience.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Stradale

What about Vermette?

I know he's not having a good season but i have a feeling he could be useful with the Habs and the Sens doesnt seem to have plan for him either.

Vermette is still young, not too expensive, could play PP, PK so he could filled Lang's spot.

EDIT: Oh and i forgot, he's a quebecer!

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Doug Weight is a UFA at the end of the season...

33 pts in 39 games for the islanders. He could replace Lang.

Antropov is another guy on the market who could help us.
Actually when I saw this thread, Weight's name is the first I thought of. He's a UFA that shouldn't cost us very much. His style of play would fit in nicely on our team. Plus he has plenty of playoff experience.

He might not be the star that a lot of us are hoping for. But neither was Lang, and before his unfortunate injury, he did pretty well if you ask me.

Antropov I'm not a big fan of, nothing I can pin point. I just don't like him.

02-01-2009, 09:38 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I was just looking at the Preds lineup and was wondering if we could get:

Hamhuis, Legwand and Tootoo. We get a good young D, a fast mobile center with some offense and a two-way game and an absolute **** disturber who is a pain in the ass to play against. I'm just throwing out ideas to see if I'm way of base or not.

Old
02-01-2009, 09:45 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Actually when I saw this thread, Weight's name is the first I thought of. He's a UFA that shouldn't cost us very much. His style of play would fit in nicely on our team. Plus he has plenty of playoff experience.

He might not be the star that a lot of us are hoping for. But neither was Lang, and before his unfortunate injury, he did pretty well if you ask me.

I agree with you.
But by the trade deadline if we have not made a significant improvement within the team without an addition and we are in a hurting position, I say we aim high and try to trade big, or go home and keep what we have. I don't want to trade bits and pieces for more bits and pieces for a shot at a 2nd round knock out. Pittsburgh, Detroit, New Jersey, Boston, San Jose are all more then capable of out scoring, out shooting, out playing, and just being overall better then us. We can't rely on Price for every game.

I propose we go big aka: Lecavalier, Kopitar, Eric Staal, or a 1st round pick that ends us up with Tavares or Hedman (never will happen i know but I can dream!)
Or Go home aka: Do nothing at the deadline have a disappointing finish and pray to the high heavens we land a few nice picks.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:46 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
I was just looking at the Preds lineup and was wondering if we could get:

Hamhuis, Legwand and Tootoo. We get a good young D, a fast mobile center with some offense and a two-way game and an absolute **** disturber who is a pain in the ass to play against. I'm just throwing out ideas to see if I'm way of base or not.
Why would the Preds unload the core of their team?

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Pascal

95% of the posts in this thread with players to target and/or potential offers make no sense whatsoever. That's why I'm glad Gainey is running the team instead of the armchair GMs who complain about him all the time here.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post

many teams will now come calling, trying to take advantage of habs. i expect gainey to stand pat, and hope that pleks wakes up. you might see a deal for weight but i would think he might want to go for someone bigger and more tough. i expect chip to be called up and laps take over lang's spot

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:54 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Why would the Preds unload the core of their team?
Not sure if they're considered "Core" or not. They have a good group of young D and at some point they may want to get rid of one. Hamhuis may be the one. I'm not asking for Suter or Weber. Legwand may be hard to get, I would just rather him than Arnott if we're going to look at the Preds for a possible center. Tootoo would be hard to replace, seeing he seems to be a fan favorite. Like I said, just putting out some ideas. It's probably more realistic than trying for VL.

Old
02-02-2009, 12:56 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
How come? He's in the most offensive system!

Boudreau's is very uptempo and north south whereas Nylander is more deliberate and slow paced.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:16 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I say we screw the D and go for Jordan or Vinny and Kovalchuk, and rip the NHL a new one.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:20 PM
nic27

jordan staal ?

nic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:33 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Now that we are relying on our Captain who can be injured again, and a failing at life Center Pleks. I think its time to address the biggest hole in our lineup. CENTER. Go for friggn Lecavalier, or Kopitar, or someone to plug that hole up.
no offense to your post what so ever, but it took lang(you has been fine) , to get hurt to see the habs need a GREAT centre.

unreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
many teams will now come calling, trying to take advantage of habs. i expect gainey to stand pat, and hope that pleks wakes up. you might see a deal for weight but i would think he might want to go for someone bigger and more tough. i expect chip to be called up and laps take over lang's spot
bob is drunk, sorry, but what the H, was he doing all year, one center goes down , and this team is screwed, shows the depth we really have, at centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
95% of the posts in this thread with players to target and/or potential offers make no sense whatsoever. That's why I'm glad Gainey is running the team instead of the armchair GMs who complain about him all the time here.
yes and bob has brought us the team that we compete in the playoffs,

draft wise yes, bob has done well,

but day to day hockey, this team is a grade c.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:46 PM
sampollock

bob will bring in some retread, or euro 35 pt player,

who can smile good for the team photo, at the end of apr/09

Old
02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAF HABS AWISS View Post
SUNDIN
You know what? It's not as silly as it may seem! It's obviously not working for Vancouver and they're starting to be desperate out here. I would do a Sundin for Kovalev trade straight up! The change could be good for both of them!

But my first choice might just be to call Tampa Bay and up the ante, give them an offer that they can't refuse for Lecavalier, at the risk of overpaying.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam[U
[/U]pollock;17685926]bob will bring in some retread, or euro 35 pt player,

who can smile good for the team photo, at the end of apr/09
you sir are becoming annoying with your trashing BG talk !

and why would BG want to get a used tire rebulit to new ?

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:50 PM
sampollock

bob is fricked

he will bring in a old fart, and hope the fans wet there pants

Old
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
bob is fricked

he will bring in a old fart, and hope the fans wet there pants
Last time I checked, it takes two to tango and the salary cap needs to be taken into consideration. Trades just don't happen the way they use to before the salary cap. Give the man a little time. You know that other GMs are waiting for a call from BG, they know he's in a tough spot right now and will try to get every little thing they can from him. Patience is a good thing, something you seem to lack.

Old
02-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
If only the Habs took Anze Kopitar instead of Carey Price...

Typical shallow thinking. If the Habs had drafted Kopitar and had to rely on an overpaid Huet and an inadequate Halak and one of THEM had a season-ending injury, they would have suffered a disappointing season as well as a bleak outlook in goal for several more seasons. Price would have a greater impact on the future of the Habs than Kopitar. Besides, the team is playing so badly right now that Kopitar wouldn't be a game changer.

Hey, why not replace Lang with scintillating Sergei? He's soooo much better than anyone else even if he isn't even in uniform every game.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 02-02-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree with you.
But by the trade deadline if we have not made a significant improvement within the team without an addition and we are in a hurting position, I say we aim high and try to trade big, or go home and keep what we have. I don't want to trade bits and pieces for more bits and pieces for a shot at a 2nd round knock out. Pittsburgh, Detroit, New Jersey, Boston, San Jose are all more then capable of out scoring, out shooting, out playing, and just being overall better then us. We can't rely on Price for every game.

I propose we go big aka: Lecavalier, Kopitar, Eric Staal, or a 1st round pick that ends us up with Tavares or Hedman (never will happen i know but I can dream!)
Or Go home aka: Do nothing at the deadline have a disappointing finish and pray to the high heavens we land a few nice picks.
I like your thinking Yarfangor, adding a Lecavalier, Kopitar, Eric Staal or even a Bouwmeester, Pronger, Niedermayer would be great. But IMHO Gainey is more likely to add a center like Weight, and a top 4 type defenseman like Schneider.

Gainey might surprise us all and pull off something big, you know the saying with Gainey "Expect the Unexpected".

I would be very surprised if Gainey sits back and does nothing before the trade deadline.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 08:41 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Would both weight and schneider fit under the cap? This would fill both holes. Maybe the D man could be a long term such as a Priessing sort of player. Edit; already mentiontioned sorry

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 08:43 AM
couz

Weight would be such a typical Gainey acquisition...

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 08:48 AM
HabsHockey

Quote:
I say we screw the D and go for Jordan or Vinny and Kovalchuk, and rip the NHL a new one.
Cause your mentioning guys that we can't pick up, well at least 2 of them. I'll gladly read your imaginary trades for the last 2 players you mentioned.

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Would both weight and schneider fit under the cap? This would fill both holes. Maybe the D man could be a long term such as a Priessing sort of player. Edit; already mentiontioned sorry
Some current players (salary) would have to be moved, plus we're allowed to go over the cap due to Lang's injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Weight would be such a typical Gainey acquisition...
I agree, but in this situation I think it would be the right move. Weight easily slips into Lang's spot without disrupting team chemistry. He's not going to cost us a lot, where obtaining a super star would.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote