HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Per Zipay, the Rangers aren't done on the trade front

Old
02-01-2009, 04:54 PM
McMonster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Ok so Max Afiniguenov has only 2 goals and 12 points in 34 games for Buffalo, with an expiring 3.5 mil contract. Buffalo is going to be GIVING him away at the deadline. Is it worth the risk for say a 3rd round pick or say, Voros to add him? Any Thoughts?
I would try to get Afinogenov... He needs to get out of Buffalo. Lindy Ruff absolutely hates him. A change in scenery might be awesome for him.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The Rangers have three 5th rounders. Would it really be a big deal if one of them got moved? The last time the Rangers dealt a 2nd round pick was 2005, and it was used to moved up to get Staal. The last 1st rounder was dealt when the Rangers moved up to get Korpikoski. A 3rd rounders was used to get Avery, and later, one used for Alex Bourret. Not seeing anything worth getting uptight about yet.
No problem trading picks to move up in the draft. I also have no problem trading picks to get solid players. However, this team has no need for more marginal NHL talent, so why waste the pick? What are we possibly going to get for a 5th round pick that would make this team better?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:06 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
I truely believe we can unload Gomez. I think he has value out there.
I agree but think this will have to wait for the off season.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:19 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I agree but think this will have to wait for the off season.
well lang just suffered a lacerated achillies tendon and hes out for the year .....any chance a gomez to habs can work.....

idk.....but they def need a center now

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
well lang just suffered a lacerated achillies tendon and hes out for the year .....any chance a gomez to habs can work.....

Gomez for PK Subban

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

gomez isn't getting traded...you guys act shocked his numbers are down, who is he playing with?

btw zipay is not really going out on a limb here...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:33 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

It actually fills me with dread thinking of what Sather may do

I have Zero confidence in him or the teams ability to contend for the cup with this roster, i just hope he doesnt do something in desperation.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:27 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
No problem trading picks to move up in the draft. I also have no problem trading picks to get solid players. However, this team has no need for more marginal NHL talent, so why waste the pick? What are we possibly going to get for a 5th round pick that would make this team better?
All I'm saying is that I don't see the Rangers giving up a 1st or 2nd, and when they've dealt a 3rd, in the first case it was for an impact player (Avery), and in the 2nd case it was for a prospect just about every thought was worth the gamble. People get all up in arms around the trade deadline, when, truthfully, there usually is anything worth getting upset over.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Gomez for PK Subban
I'll take Pacioretty. Heck, if they don't expect to sign Higgins, I'll take him just as well, especially if salary has to come back.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:50 PM
fourhole

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I'm getting the feeling that Dawes isn't going to finish this season as a Ranger.
Send him to Nashville for Zannon, Klein or ???

Old
02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I have a problem trading away a 4th when it is for a player who should not be in the National Hockey League. But then again I'm not a fan of signing guys like that to one-way deals, either, but Sather did that with Voros anyway.
Backman is a servicable 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman(moreso 3rd pairing). He's +1 in 42 games this season, he's not anyones first choice but he's an NHL player. Don't be so dramatic.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:27 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourhole View Post
Send him to Nashville for Zannon, Klein or ???
Dawes (.558, RFA) , Prucha (1.6, RFA), and Voros (1.2, .900 next 2)

for

Tootoo (.975), Zanon (.750, UFA), and Radulov's rights

future considerations from the Jessiman deal would probably be worked into it somehow, don't know how futures actually work.

Don't know how NASH fans would feel about this deal thou. I made a "Value of" Tootoo thread on the trade board a while back. Respones varied from a bag of pucks to a 2nd and a prospect, so.. yea.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Every year I don't think Sather could be any stupider, and every time he proves me wrong.

If a first or second round pick is traded for a rental, I'm going to lose it.
Actually the one thing Slats does well is trade. See Z for T last summer.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
I sense more third liner, and some more 8-9 defenseman.
lol

I agree. I doubt Sather blows it up enough to make a significant deal.

Something like last year, probably.

However... because of the Backman deal, even though it was insignificant at the time, DID help us land Zherdev in the summer.

So you never know how those small deals will turn out in the long run.

Earlier in the year, i felt that there may be a significant deal and change the look of the team at the deadline... but now i'm not so sure anymore. Doesn't look like anyone wants to take on any salary.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The guy was playing around 18-22 minutes a night for us towards the end of the season and overall was a fine 6th defenseman. The majority of GM's who have the playoffs to look forward to at the trade deadline do add depth. It doesn't make them stupid for giving up a 3rd, 4th, 5th round pick to get this insurance.

And to think, people wanted a sexier pickup than Backman at the trade deadline in the form of a Campbell, Gill, Foote, Stuart, Bergeron. Guys that definitely costed more than a 3rd at that. So, yes, be happy that we didn't sacrifice more than that..

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:03 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I just hope that the Rangers don't make another Marc Savard-esc trade. I still can't get over how bad that trade was.

We got Hlavac, Lundmark and Johan Asplund out of it. Hlavac then was traded at some point as part of the Lindros deal then resigned in the future before leaving again. Lundmark for Jeff Taffe who left through FA. Asplund never played in the NHL.

Disaster. I can see trading a guy like Zherdev, Dubinsky, or maybe Callahan, Dawes, or Prucha turning out like that.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post

Gomez for Sergei Kostitsyn and Guillaume Latendresse

Do it!

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I just hope that the Rangers don't make another Marc Savard-esc trade. I still can't get over how bad that trade was.

We got Hlavac, Lundmark and Johan Asplund out of it. Hlavac then was traded at some point as part of the Lindros deal then resigned in the future before leaving again. Lundmark for Jeff Taffe who left through FA. Asplund never played in the NHL.

Disaster. I can see trading a guy like Zherdev, Dubinsky, or maybe Callahan, Dawes, or Prucha turning out like that.
No need to worry about Zherdev. We already have seen what he is capable of. Sather traded for something he thought he could get out of NZ, and it looks like he got it. Callahan and Prucha don't have the raw skill that Savvy had.

Really, Dubi is the only one that worries me. He's got a package that seems to need time to develop.

Dawes may turn out to be a nasty sniper, like a sniper version of Savard in the way that he can be so good at shooting like Marc is passing, but its not something I would get mad at Sather for if he did indeed cut him loose. Right now, he has not shown the consistency or effort.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Gomez for Sergei Kostitsyn and Guillaume Latendresse

Do it!
Hell, I would do Higgins+Latendresse/Lapierre for Gomez.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I'm getting the feeling that Dawes isn't going to finish this season as a Ranger.
If he continues to smurf the giveaways that ultimately lead to goals...his days are numbered. What happened in Boston is not the first time he's done that. I can't remember which game(s) it was...but I do remember another giveaway in our own zone that lead to a GWG.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
gomez isn't getting traded...you guys act shocked his numbers are down, who is he playing with?

btw zipay is not really going out on a limb here...

I think Callahan is a nice player and all...but it's pretty obvious (skill-wise) that he does not belong on Gomez's wing nor the 1st line period. Renney is trying to make Cally into something he'll never be.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:28 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Backman is a servicable 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman(moreso 3rd pairing). He's +1 in 42 games this season, he's not anyones first choice but he's an NHL player. Don't be so dramatic.
No, he isn't. He's one of the worst players in the NHL. An atrocious, atrocious decision maker. I have never seen a player as nervous and unsure in his own zone. I've never seen an NHLer so often out of position, nor have I ever seen an NHLer as prone to simply giving the puck away. When he carries the puck in his own zone, I hold my breath every time I see it.

And, in addition to his downright horrid defensive play and judgment, even though he has decent offensive skills, he hardly contributes any points.

Just because he's in the league doesn't mean he deserves to be. Ryan Hollweg is in the league, too. The only reason Backman has played as much as he has this season is because Klesla has been out a ton.

Let's see how eager Hitchcock is to bring back Backman when his contract ends this summer. My guess: not very eager at all.

One of the worst NHL players I have ever seen (goons excluded).

Your analysis of Backman is almost as on-target as your Eric Lindros analysis. :

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I agree. Backman was as unspectacularly serviceable as Kalinin is, but I guess it's "hip" to bash anyone on the blueline who isn't making a run at a Norris trophy. You've either got people who WON'T admit that a player is meeting expectations because they have a bias, or you have people who are CAN'T identify good defensive play from an average defenseman when they see it.

--

The people in this thread who believe that the Rangers will sellers at the deadline, I just don't know what to say to you without being extremely insulting.

--

Dubinsky remains my bet to be traded, particularly if Anisimov looks to be a suitable replacement.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The people in this thread who believe that the Rangers will sellers at the deadline, I just don't know what to say to you without being extremely insulting.
Yep. Unfortunately, there's a belief that a successful season is winning the Cup or picking first overall.

02-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Fletch

just say it, MJ!!!

but seriously, Sather made his bed with these players and he's going to build a team around these players, so we might as well just get used to it and hope he rounds out the team with nice, complementary players who y'all fall in love with and the team continues to win despite being saddled with the contracts of Drury, Gomez, and Redden.

The only vet I can see this team potentially moving is Kalinin. Not because he sucks, but because he should be the most replaceable. Unfortunately, either there hasn't been a replacement for him in HFD, or they didn't give anyone down there a chance to show he belongs here, so that ain't happening. And if my calculations are correct, the Rangers lost a total of one man game on defense, so there really hasn't been a chance for anyone to step up.

Realize this, Sather will only try to make this team better. There won't be any major moves; at least I don't believe there will be.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote