HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Kovalev, Tomas Plekanec, Sergei Kostitsyn...what's wrong with them?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2009, 09:28 PM
  #51
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Kovafloat his having a 50 point season or so. If you think he's been bad for the last 2 games, you haven't seen the same hockey as me or Carbonneau (who lambasted him today after the game).

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:40 PM
  #52
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Alex Kovalev - Does he not realize that it's his contract year? Last season, he was dangerous EVERY time he touched the puck. I really wish he could pull it together. It seems that he's been doing the same deke to get into the other teams zone for 3 years now..and lately he's been failing alot more than succeeding. It's gotten to the point where I just wish Carbo wouldn't use him on the PP at all. He's not dangerous AT ALL with the puck this year IMO, and I'm growing tired of his 11 turnovers per game.

Tomas Plekanec - He really is playing like a little girl this season. He seems to lack confidence out there and he's not setting up beautiful plays like in the past. He's a very skilled guy, but you wouldn't know that if you just started watching the Habs this year. I'd even say he's been completely invisible on MANY nights this season. I think he could be a regular 70 point guy in this league..I just wish he'd show us more.

Sergei Kostitsyn - This may not be a popular opinion, but I honestly think with the way he's been playing this year...he belongs in Hamilton. I think he's going to be a really good player for us down the road...but what the hell is wrong with him? On many nights he looks like our slowest player and nothing really ever happens when he has the puck. Sophmore slump possibly? Either way, he's been awful.

There's really only 3 or so players who are having good seasons..but these 3 players in particular have really dissapointed me this season. If they could step up their games it'd be a start to get this team back on track.

What do you guys think?
A silly post.

Sergei played a good game. If you want to pick on the kid a la RDS save it for when he deserves it. Totally bogus attack post

Every shift (and I was watchingly closely) you can't knock SK for this one

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:40 PM
  #53
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
I fully expect and hope Kovalev does not get another contract from this team unless it is a big discount. I think his attitude permeates the team and rookies as he is looked up to. It is time to move on and use his 4-5million on a player who wants to be here.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:45 PM
  #54
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I fully expect and hope Kovalev does not get another contract from this team unless it is a big discount. I think his attitude permeates the team and rookies as he is looked up to. It is time to move on and use his 4-5million on a player who wants to be here.
There's absolutely no doubt that Kovalev wants to be here... he just doesn't work for that to happen...

The big difference between this year and last... he was moving and skating... this year he's always slowing down the pace, trying to use his muscles instead of his skills and trying to undress everyone instead of trusting his teammates...

Someone who goes from Superman to Frankenstein from one year to the next, from one week to the next, from one game to the next... even the next shift can't be relied on... that's why I think Kovy's a lost cause.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:46 PM
  #55
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
A silly post.

Sergei played a good game. If you want to pick on the kid a la RDS save it for when he deserves it. Totally bogus attack post

Every shift (and I was watchingly closely) you can't knock SK for this one
I'm not surprised to see you come in and defend Sergei.

I really don't know how anyone can be impressed/satisfied with his play so far this season.

He's going to be good for us...but he's certainly not having a good year.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:01 PM
  #56
emb24*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
in a league filled with parity the margin between winning and losing is the play of a team's best players. the habs are an exceptionally young team. a guy like kovalev, who makes big money among our forwards is expected to play well. all he does is hog the puck, all the time, take selfish penalties that swing momentum and practice the same predictable blue line curl and shot on the PP. he Never uses is line mates. what kind of player plays his best game of the last 2 months in the ASG? he lived a DREAM. won mvp, scored and got to blow all his kisses to the fans. the guy could've used that momentum to carry over in the second half but all he has done is disappear. unbelievable. is it because the C was removed? talk about a big child. this guy is not going to be resigned. bet on it.

as for sergie, he's a sophomore and a bit up and down. pleks has been better but still plays way too much of a perimeter game

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:08 PM
  #57
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm not surprised to see you come in and defend Sergei.

I really don't know how anyone can be impressed/satisfied with his play so far this season.

He's going to be good for us...but he's certainly not having a good year.
1st full season in the nhl...sophmore slump

call it wtvr u want

fans in mtl fall in love with young player way too quickly and expect way too much way too fast. prolly cuz we havent had a real star in such a long time

he is not the reason we will go far this year or not...sure he will help. but give him time. maybe a trip to hamilton would be good for him

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:10 PM
  #58
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Very disappointing to the expectations you placed on him, that's your fault. His disapointing season might allow him to lead our team in goals and points among forwards by the end of the year...which tells you something about his progression, so to blame Andrei and call him out is in my opinion not right.

What more can you ask for than a forward who's been juggled around all year because our coach can't keep stable lines to score 30 goals in his second nhl season?

Fans asking too much? I think so.
My expectations on him is to see him working every day. Not finish 1st in points. Even if he doesn't score or have assists, I expect him to work hard, so win battles along the boards, to screen the goalie, to give bodychecks 'cause he is able to do that. So expectations as far as work should be at the highest level for every player.

Again, as far as fans asking too much, I will not buy it. If you want to defend him, well go with wrong place at the wrong time 'cause we've been waiting for 15 years before having something we could call a team.....and now that it's looking good, it's not looking so good anymore.....Fans have been filling the building, buying their stuff, watching the games and doing everything you have to ask from fans....the return in investment is not there....yet. Unfortunately, 'cause of the history, fans are indeed asking for some results in return....something like the Wings are giving their fans for the past same number of years....Actually as far as the greatest franchise in history, I would have expected the Habs to be the Wings at one point....they don't win every year, they still have more wins than we do in the past 15 years and they are a contender ever year.....

Who's fault it is? A lot of people. Is it Gainey's fault? Probably not. Gainey was able to take a mediocre team to something pretty good. Now it's his job to put that team in the great category. And he might just be able to do it. But even if it's not his fault, we freakin need results. And I couldn't care less if he's able or not to close deals or not......but in the end we need results once and for all. Need to move to the other level.

So we've been behind our team all this time. And for whoever keeps calling the fans bandwagoners....well actually the same fans that are dissapointed in how some events are turning, please acknowledge that while we may criticize some of the moves, we're still here game after game wishing our luck will turn around. I would think that bandwagoners are just more than people criticizing their team.....and wishing they'd do better.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:27 PM
  #59
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm not surprised to see you come in and defend Sergei.

I really don't know how anyone can be impressed/satisfied with his play so far this season.

He's going to be good for us...but he's certainly not having a good year.
Hey take it game for game

The kid played a clean game. If you can't give credit where due, that's your problem.

If you have a problem how he played against the Bruins please elaborate.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:31 PM
  #60
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
If you have a problem how he played against the Bruins please elaborate.
Where did you get the idea that i'm basing this thread off of today's game?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:34 PM
  #61
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Where did you get the idea that i'm basing this thread off of today's game?
Then what's the point? Flog a guy even when he plays a good game?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:35 PM
  #62
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan75 View Post
Kovalev will pick up his play next year when he is given the C and Koivu signs with Minneosta
Koivu will re-sign and retire as Hab, have his number retired and still try to get this team to the Cup.

Kovalev will go where ever the money is, and it isn't going to come from Montreal.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:36 PM
  #63
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Koivu will re-sign and retire as Hab, have his number retired and still try to get this team to the Cup.

Kovalev will go where ever the money is, and it isn't going to come from Montreal.
so he is going to the KHL?

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:44 PM
  #64
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Then what's the point? Flog a guy even when he plays a good game?
I really don't see what you're getting at here...

What does Sergei's play in the most recent game have to do with his all-around performance this season?

Face it, Sergei hasn't really been impressive at all this season..that's why he was included in this thread.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:47 PM
  #65
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
so he is going to the KHL?
wouldn't be shocked to see it happen

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:53 PM
  #66
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I really don't see what you're getting at here...

What does Sergei's play in the most recent game have to do with his all-around performance this season?

Face it, Sergei hasn't really been impressive at all this season..that's why he was included in this thread.
If you want to keep it current you stick to the facts. Sounds like you just want to ***** about something

The Habs lost today and it had NOTHING to do with Plekanec or SK

Sounds to me as if you are some moaner about nothing in particular

I'm sick of listening to the crap from RDS who do not want to target ALL players


Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 02-01-2009 at 11:03 PM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:05 PM
  #67
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Ive been saying for a while that Kovy's attitude is a major prob for this team, he plays when he wants, the way he wants and you just cant have a structured hockey team when a big head like him doesnt play the system and doesnt even give a legitimate effort.. There is a reason why no one click with him.. Who cant play with Koivu outside Kovalev? Everyone playing with our little captain have some success.. Kovalev just drag the energy of his line (and of the whole team as well) down most of the time.. Plekanec lost any confidence this season, can it be entirely attribuable to Kovalev? Probably not, but one think I know, Pleks is playing way better hockey with new linemates on his sides.. What did A.Kost do when separated from Kovy a couple of weeks ago? Was flying out there, had his best moments of the season..

The moral of the story, Kovalev has only himself to blame, he has to earn his ice time like every ****ing players on this team, and it start by working hard every shift and being commited to pay the price just like the other 19 players on the ice.. If he isnt willing to do that, sorry but trade him for the most offering.. It lasted long enough, his little prima dona attitude can be replaced by 20 guys dedicated to work togheter as a team..

I was one of the rare who put the Perezhogin's depature on the back of Kovy.. Kovy was even worst 2 years ago that he is right now from, was often seeing with the kid after games.. His attitude probs have been pointed out (thx to the excellent job of Mattias Brunet) and Im convinced that Kovy had an influence (a bad one) of Perez's decision.. a good vet would have told him to be patient and that the money will come once established in the NHL.. Hypothetical, but that what I feel.. I would even say that Kovy vonlontary played bad 2 years ago to join the WC where the event was held in Russia.. He was talking of this WC with stars in the eyes, so I laughed a good shot when Russian national team did not even want him on their team.. Total humiliation.. Came back at the camp with ALOT to prove and you know the rest, he had a good season where there was much more regularity in his efforts...

I would try him for another game but if he plays like he played today and for the most part of the season, Im 100% in favour to bench him for a couple of games..


Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 02-01-2009 at 11:17 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:05 PM
  #68
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Koivu will re-sign and retire as Hab, have his number retired and still try to get this team to the Cup.

Kovalev will go where ever the money is, and it isn't going to come from Montreal.
Koivu might retire this summer, he looks weak out there, little guy has alot of heart but time has taken its toll on him.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:11 PM
  #69
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
If you want to keep it current you stick to the facts. Sounds like you just want to ***** about something

The Habs lost today and it had NOTHING to do with Plekanec or SK

Sounds to me as if you are some moaner about nothing in particular

I'm sick of listening to the crap from RDS who do not want to target ALL players
Does this thread bother you that much?

I even stated in my original post that there's maybe 3 players on this team who are having what you'd call good seasons..or succeeding expectations, however you want to word it.

These 3 players in particular are the ones who have dissapointed with their play the most..atleast in my opinion.

Do you really believe Sergei is having a good season? Once again, this thread is based off this season..not this past game..

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:16 PM
  #70
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Koivu might retire this summer, he looks weak out there, little guy has alot of heart but time has taken its toll on him.
Are you talking Koivu, the guy who has been the best hab on the ice lately. It ain't saying a heck of a lot but he appears stronger than of the other top 6.

Not every one gets 10 minute cat naps in the middle of the game like Kovalev. Sorry someone actually has to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Kovafloat his having a 50 point season or so. If you think he's been bad for the last 2 games, you haven't seen the same hockey as me or Carbonneau (who lambasted him today after the game).
Kovaflaot and girlanec. Can anyone honestly say that hab fans don't come up with the best mocking nicknames.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-02-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:58 PM
  #71
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Alex Kovalev - Does he not realize that it's his contract year? Last season, he was dangerous EVERY time he touched the puck. I really wish he could pull it together. It seems that he's been doing the same deke to get into the other teams zone for 3 years now..and lately he's been failing alot more than succeeding. It's gotten to the point where I just wish Carbo wouldn't use him on the PP at all. He's not dangerous AT ALL with the puck this year IMO, and I'm growing tired of his 11 turnovers per game.

Tomas Plekanec - He really is playing like a little girl this season. He seems to lack confidence out there and he's not setting up beautiful plays like in the past. He's a very skilled guy, but you wouldn't know that if you just started watching the Habs this year. I'd even say he's been completely invisible on MANY nights this season. I think he could be a regular 70 point guy in this league..I just wish he'd show us more.

Sergei Kostitsyn - This may not be a popular opinion, but I honestly think with the way he's been playing this year...he belongs in Hamilton. I think he's going to be a really good player for us down the road...but what the hell is wrong with him? On many nights he looks like our slowest player and nothing really ever happens when he has the puck. Sophmore slump possibly? Either way, he's been awful.

There's really only 3 or so players who are having good seasons..but these 3 players in particular have really dissapointed me this season. If they could step up their games it'd be a start to get this team back on track.

What do you guys think?

Nothing more than with the rest of the team.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
  #72
38 cupless years*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
Queue Therrien's "soff" interview video.

Sergei needs to pretend that he's playing Grabovski every game. I think the Habs should hire a hypnotist so he can think that.

Kovy is Kovy.

Pleks needs to trade in his turtle necks, invest in a laptop and watch videos of Saku Koivu on youtube.

38 cupless years* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:16 AM
  #73
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
It really struck me what the biggest difference is between Plekanec's breakout season and his current lullaby season. Last season he would always be skating in the corners and come out as fast as he can, this year once he gets the puck in the corners he stops moving his legs completely and he looks around for a pass out front, and if there isn't one, he turns the puck over

I think the golden rule for every hockey player in the world is: always keep your legs moving

Same could be said for Kovalev

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:31 AM
  #74
Spectaculard
Registered User
 
Spectaculard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,205
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
I've never been biased against Kovy and nor have I ever pimped him out to much. I cheered him last year and was upset at him the year before that. I've always liked him and always seen him for what he is, a talented player that carries significant baggage. Plus im half Russian so it always ment a little more when he scored.

That said, I don't think want him back next year. I don't think he is a very positive influence and role model on our young forwards (thats if they actually see him as one). You can see some of his habits rub off on the K brothers, or maybe thats just how they are themselves, I dunno. It doesn't feel right for me to type this, I've always liked Alexei, so don't go thinking this is just one those reaction posts. I just think its time to part ways whether via free agency or trade.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:34 AM
  #75
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My expectations on him is to see him working every day. Not finish 1st in points. Even if he doesn't score or have assists, I expect him to work hard, so win battles along the boards, to screen the goalie, to give bodychecks 'cause he is able to do that. So expectations as far as work should be at the highest level for every player.

Again, as far as fans asking too much, I will not buy it. If you want to defend him, well go with wrong place at the wrong time 'cause we've been waiting for 15 years before having something we could call a team.....and now that it's looking good, it's not looking so good anymore.....Fans have been filling the building, buying their stuff, watching the games and doing everything you have to ask from fans....the return in investment is not there....yet. Unfortunately, 'cause of the history, fans are indeed asking for some results in return....something like the Wings are giving their fans for the past same number of years....Actually as far as the greatest franchise in history, I would have expected the Habs to be the Wings at one point....they don't win every year, they still have more wins than we do in the past 15 years and they are a contender ever year.....

Who's fault it is? A lot of people. Is it Gainey's fault? Probably not. Gainey was able to take a mediocre team to something pretty good. Now it's his job to put that team in the great category. And he might just be able to do it. But even if it's not his fault, we freakin need results. And I couldn't care less if he's able or not to close deals or not......but in the end we need results once and for all. Need to move to the other level.

So we've been behind our team all this time. And for whoever keeps calling the fans bandwagoners....well actually the same fans that are dissapointed in how some events are turning, please acknowledge that while we may criticize some of the moves, we're still here game after game wishing our luck will turn around. I would think that bandwagoners are just more than people criticizing their team.....and wishing they'd do better.....

good post

bandwagon fans are fans that only show up to follow "their" team when it is having success, but otherwise are invisible.

habs fans, for the most part, are there through thick and thin. through the late 90's/early 2000's, the team sucked, and yet the arena was still more or less full game-in game-out, talk shows/media still focused on the team, merchandise still being bought (how many poor souls have Mackay jerseys somewhere in the closet from that great UFA signing!?).

the fact that people literally live and die by the habs means that some, maybe even most, are a little too quick to praise and criticize the team/players, but thats just a reflection of the sincere and deep emotional connection our fan base has...

Barcelona football club has a great team slogan "Mes que un club"- "more than a club"... that's what the habs are to most of us, that's why we tend to get a little to emotional.

but band wagon... not even close.

you want bandwagon, take a look at Calgary. they had a similar rough spell through the 90's. I moved there in '98. When i arrived, i was literally shocked at how little support there was for the team. there was even quite a bit of talk about the club relocating... games were almost always 1/3 or more empty, and people just didn't care or talk much about the team. They go on a cup run in '04, and all of a sudden it's "cool" to be a flames fan. "redmile" is born, and people start flooding into the arena/banging their chests about how great the team is... now THAT is the epitomy of bandwagoners!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.