HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value: What is Kovalev worth?

Old
02-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
I could have sworn last week Kovalev was honourary King Of Montreal. Alas, it's a short walk to the outhouse.

I'm sure Gainey and Carbo will have their little tete-a-tete again, Carbo will get back on the right page, and they'll move forward with the Good Times approach to Kovalev again. It's the only way we get something out of him. Josef Balej Jr. and a 2nd round pick would do nothing for us. Even Kovalev playing at 80% is better than a lot else we have to choose from. The team made their bed with Kovalev, and they will continue to have to sleep in it.

Well, maybe until July 1st. The way he finishes this season might introduce some unlooked-for changes in the way the club would have expected to approach his contract status for next year.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Right now, nothing. Not only he struggles, his coach doesn't use him despite needed him and he's UFA......So if he's not worth for us this year, why would he be worth something for another team. Next year, we'll be different, team that will sign him will know that he will want to prove to Carbo that ha makes a mistake....and cue the thread about how Kovalev performs well elsewhere....I just don't see Kovalev coming back now....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:04 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Kovalev to Pittsburgh for Goligoski or Brooks Orpik would actually be nice. Pittsburgh might do it for Orpik, they have cap troubles right now and Kovalev will be off their books next season.

Carbonneau needs to sit Andrei Kostitsyn down and tell him that he's gotta be the go-to-offensive player now. Increase his ice-time and give him more PP time.
If we could get Orpik, I'd definitely consider it very hard (even with the cap troubles it may bring in the next few years).

On the bright side, I doubt Plekanec or Higgins can ask for what their worth after the pathetic seasons their having.

If we do lose Komisarek, Orpik would be a nice replacement as well. If not, we have two very good defensive defeseman, who can both throw the body and play a rough game.

Markov - Komisarek
Orpik - Gorges
Hamrlik - Brisebois

Would look pretty nice.. in my opinion.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:54 AM
smon

You can't really get a player who's not a rental for a rental...at least I don't think so.

Kovalev could easily be swapped at the deadline for a late 1st, 2nd + prospect, that kind of thing. But seeing as how it wouldn't really help the Canadiens much, why bother?

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Iwishihadacup

addition by substraction will be the key, we must get rid of the UFAs who are taking a free ride with the team when we rely on them (Kovalev itslef makes a category)

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Does he not have a NTC to the WEST?
That clause expired on January 1st. He can now be traded anywhere in the NHL.

If I'm Gainey, I put him up on the block and take the best offer!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
That clause expired on January 1st. He can now be traded anywhere in the NHL.

If I'm Gainey, I put him up on the block and take the best offer!

GOD BLESS GAINEY

its part of the plan I tell you

I heard Phenix would be a place where Kovy would thrive

he could get the C there

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:51 AM
habfaninvictoria

I hope Kovalev doesn't read these boards, he's a great asset for us who happens to be a very frustrating player. We'd be having none of this if even half of the posts he hit this year went in.

That being said.... And forgive me if I'm repeating something that's been said. I believe the all-star game showed great insight into the enigma that is Kovalev. He played a great game and was engaged because he really wanted the MVP of that game. I have no problem with that, what I find distressing is that he apparently doesn't know that they give an MVP out for the league. Based on his history in the playoffs he knows there's a Conn Smythe. So why can't or doesn't he seem to care sometimes in the regular season. Is it too long for him to concentrate on that many games? Doubt it. I think somehow somewhere in his mind he decided he wasn't good enough to be the best in the league. Maybe it was playing with Lemieux and Jagr and being resigned to not being considered? Maybe being one of the first Russians and the stigma the league placed on that. I don't know but there is something in his mental makeup that just isn't right. He's got all the talent, and the drive in short spurts. An angry Kovalev is THE most dangerous player in the league because he want to hurt you, both physically and on the scoreboard.

I don't care that he values personal goals, like having the "C" or MVP's of meaningless games. I do care that it seems to be the manifestation of some type of inferiority ego type thing. If you look at most people you know with a big ego, it's probably an overcompensation for insecurity. They sulk, they know they have the talent so blame their woes on everyone around them instead of taking responsibility for their own problems. Maybe I'm wrong but that looks like Kovy to me.

What to do??

I don't know what to do but I do know what not to do. The solution isn't a trade. We will not win the cup this year (and yes it's still a possibility) without him, but he could most certainly put another team over the edge.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Habs 1909

Don't trade Kovalev. Kovalev will step up when he realizes that he's the one that needs to lead this team offensively. With the injury to Lang, expect Kovalev to pick up his game and the slack. There is a hole to fill though with Lang injured. I don't see Gainey doing anything but calling-up someone from the 'Dogs.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:13 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Right now, Kovalev looks like he needs a change of scenery, and at this point unless he wakes up, Gainey probably won't resign him.

What we need would be something like a gritty center who can play the point on the PP.

What kind of player is Kovalev worth?
No one needs Kovalev- with the type of game he is playing.

The only solution for the Habs: let him walk at the end of this season. He can then join the harlem Globetrotter or do his tricks with the Cirque du Soleil.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:17 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
this is ridiculous, first off we are not trading Kovy. second off why would we want to get rid of our only natural scoring talent besides maybe A Kost ? third off he is in a funk right now ( which to me means he is playing through some sort of an injury ) he will pull out of it just in time, when we need him most the playoffs !

Trade Kovy.. thanks for the laugh.
1. We aren't go far in the playoff with Kovalev
2. He does have value for at least a 2nd round pick; trade him to the west
3. He's more of a defensive liability than an offensive threat

Trade Kovy ... absolutely!!!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:23 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I hope Kovalev doesn't read these boards, he's a great asset for us who happens to be a very frustrating player. We'd be having none of this if even half of the posts he hit this year went in.

That being said.... And forgive me if I'm repeating something that's been said. I believe the all-star game showed great insight into the enigma that is Kovalev. He played a great game and was engaged because he really wanted the MVP of that game. I have no problem with that, what I find distressing is that he apparently doesn't know that they give an MVP out for the league. Based on his history in the playoffs he knows there's a Conn Smythe. So why can't or doesn't he seem to care sometimes in the regular season. Is it too long for him to concentrate on that many games? Doubt it. I think somehow somewhere in his mind he decided he wasn't good enough to be the best in the league. Maybe it was playing with Lemieux and Jagr and being resigned to not being considered? Maybe being one of the first Russians and the stigma the league placed on that. I don't know but there is something in his mental makeup that just isn't right. He's got all the talent, and the drive in short spurts. An angry Kovalev is THE most dangerous player in the league because he want to hurt you, both physically and on the scoreboard.

I don't care that he values personal goals, like having the "C" or MVP's of meaningless games. I do care that it seems to be the manifestation of some type of inferiority ego type thing. If you look at most people you know with a big ego, it's probably an overcompensation for insecurity. They sulk, they know they have the talent so blame their woes on everyone around them instead of taking responsibility for their own problems. Maybe I'm wrong but that looks like Kovy to me.

What to do??

I don't know what to do but I do know what not to do. The solution isn't a trade. We will not win the cup this year (and yes it's still a possibility) without him, but he could most certainly put another team over the edge.

You answered your own question in the last sentence of your post.

We aren't going to win the cup, and we aren't going to re-sign him, therefore you have an asset that may be SECONDARY scoring for an offensively challanged team; thus he MUST be moved! Just move him out west!

The #1 reason I want kovy moved:

"I refuse to watch my team's fortunes rest on the shoulders of a man who has all the talent in the world, but has neither the heart and desire to use it."

"Show me a man that has to be motivated to work, and I show the results of his work that is less than desirable."

yes, you can use those quotes if you want.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Right now, Kovalev looks like he needs a change of scenery, and at this point unless he wakes up, Gainey probably won't resign him.

What we need would be something like a gritty center who can play the point on the PP.

What kind of player is Kovalev worth?
Give Kovy a change of scenery...change Carbonneau's job title to "advance scout" and hire a coach that can coach offensive players. Bob Hartley anyone?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:25 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Ryan Withney!

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:40 PM
gillyguzzler

Kovy is really being blasted today in the media. I saw Saturday's game and he wasn't bad. He fought through checks and made some plays. I was not able to watch Sunday's game other than the highlights. Other than the two penalties (the 2nd was a joke), was he that bad, bad enough for Carbo to bench him again and blast him in his post-game interview? I don't see how things can be patched up between Carbo and Kovy now. Kovy, with all his faults, is a proud individual and won't respond positively to this. Hopefully, Carbo had tried everything in private before doing this.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:42 PM
habdynasty

2 draft picks, he is getting older and has slowed down bigtime,

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:10 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
To answer the question.

He's worth more off the team than he is on the team.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Kovalev to Pittsburgh for Goligoski or Brooks Orpik would actually be nice. Pittsburgh might do it for Orpik, they have cap troubles right now and Kovalev will be off their books next season.

Carbonneau needs to sit Andrei Kostitsyn down and tell him that he's gotta be the go-to-offensive player now. Increase his ice-time and give him more PP time.
do you really think Andrei is ready to be that guy, the lack of consistency kinda bothers me.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

He's really soon going to appear in the "Addition by substraction" category.....

But then, we are are going to read a few more of those "Where are the haters now" as soon as this week....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Kovy is really being blasted today in the media. I saw Saturday's game and he wasn't bad. He fought through checks and made some plays. I was not able to watch Sunday's game other than the highlights. Other than the two penalties (the 2nd was a joke), was he that bad, bad enough for Carbo to bench him again and blast him in his post-game interview? I don't see how things can be patched up between Carbo and Kovy now. Kovy, with all his faults, is a proud individual and won't respond positively to this. Hopefully, Carbo had tried everything in private before doing this.
Oh he was bad.. Saturday he was fine, but Sunday was probably one of the worst games I've ever seen him play.

He created nothing on the PP.. he kept going offside, he wasn't passing and thus turned over the puck, he had 2 penalties within 5 minutes.. just brutal stuff.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:46 PM
suprez

1992–93 New York Rangers NHL 65 GP 38 pts
1993–94 New York Rangers NHL 76 Gp 56 Pts
1994–95 New York Rangers NHL 48 gp 28 pts
1995–96 New York Rangers NHL 81 gp 58 pts
1996–97 New York Rangers NHL 45 gp 35 pts
1997–98 New York Rangers NHL 73 gp 53 pts
1998–99 Rangers Penguins NHL 78 gp 53 pts
1999–00 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 82 gp 66 pts
2000–01 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 79 gp 95 pts (record)
2001–02 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 67 gp 76 pts
2002–03 Pittsburgh Penguins New York Rangers 78 GP 77 pts
2003–04 New York Rangers Montreal Canadiens 78 GP 44 pts
2005–06 Montreal Canadiens NHL 69 gp 65 pts
2006–07 Montreal Canadiens NHL 73 gp 47 pts
2007–08 Montreal Canadiens NHL 82 gp 84 pts

Kovalev Average Point per season :58 pts.
Koivu Average points per season : 50 pts
Tanguay average point per season : 67 Pts

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:49 PM
RE-HABS

Nashville is trying to make a push to get into the playoffs and want a top 6 winger and have cap space and lots of D available and Dan Hamhuis seems to be available.

I would offer Kovalev and a prospect for Dan Hamhuis. His 2,000,000 cap hit is very affordable and at 26 he is still very young and a good two way Dman.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
do you really think Andrei is ready to be that guy, the lack of consistency kinda bothers me.
Oh, you're right. Alexei Kovalev is the model for consistency.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
playbedar

Send a message via MSN to playbedar
I seriously think the fans will, one day, kill this team. This is ridiculous. You vote for him for the ASG and one week after you want him out of Montreal. Good thing Bob doesn't care about what you guys think.

playbedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:40 PM
suprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by playbedar View Post
I seriously think the fans will, one day, kill this team. This is ridiculous. You vote for him for the ASG and one week after you want him out of Montreal. Good thing Bob doesn't care about what you guys think.

That probably why this team won 24 Stanley Cup . Because we're too hard with them.

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote