HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Tom Renny teach Robbie Schremp how to play NHL hockey? (merged)

Old
02-02-2009, 02:22 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Schremp reminds me of FedFed.

Worth a risk for a guy like....I dunno....Jessiman? But i wouldnt want to give up anything of worth...and sadly we dont have Jessiman to deal.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:52 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

I would love to know which players get the most threads started about them on this site, i bet the top 3 is

1- Crosby
2- Avery
3- Schremp

There has been 3 Schremp threads alone on this board in the past year, saying that though i wouldnt mind Schremp he would be worth taking a risk on if the price was right

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Matt

If you didn't like Fritsche, you would hate Schremp

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:21 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Bottom line on Rob Schremp seems to be he aint crackin the Oil and if that continues will likely be dealt.

Some team takes a chance to see if those incredible skills can translate in a different system, a different environment, a different coach.

The question becomes whats the price to take that chance?

He sure is an interesting player.

I believe the previous thread was called something like

"Can Tom Renny teach Rob Schremp to play better hockey?"

02-02-2009, 08:24 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
this kid is his own worst enemy and at this point in the season breaking this headcase in the lineup isn't worth it...

If anything this seems more prudent. Pick him up for next season. He's not this years savior, BUT he could help fill the hole left by losing our top prospect. The reality of being traded, a different franchise, living situation, team mates... who knows

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:26 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I wouldn't want to give up anything of value for him. If Edmonton was willing to basically give him away, obviously I'd take a flier. That said, the player that he is currently would do nothing to help the team as it is currently. Not really a priority, IMO.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:13 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That said, the player that he is currently would do nothing to help the team as it is currently. Not really a priority, IMO.
The guy will put up points. He's a head case but he's very talented. What you have to ask is

Can Renny help him be a better player? I believe the answer is yes.

Whats he worth? A guy who cant crack the lineup of a team that might very well miss the playoffs.

What does the Oil need? They are in fact tied with 5 other teams today for the final spot in the West.

Old
02-02-2009, 09:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
The guy will put up points. He's a head case but he's very talented. What you have to ask is

Can Renny help him be a better player? I believe the answer is yes.

Whats he worth? A guy who cant crack the lineup of a team that might very well miss the playoffs.

What does the Oil need? They are in fact tied with 5 other teams today for the final spot in the West.
Again, if he could be had for very little, I'd take a flier.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The Rangers management also thought it was a good idea to sign Wade Redden to a 6 year, 6.5 million dollar contract. Forgive me if I don't agree with Rangers management.

I didn't want Redden....I took on the majority of this board during the summer about the offseason moves, sadly i was correct.....I was told that these moves were made because the Rangers were going to play a wide-open style...I argued, "not with this roster" I was right, but what i was wrong about is how good of a job Renney would do...

Quote:
My anti-Tkachuk rants are boring? Again, forgive me if I'd rather the Rangers didn't follow in the glorious footsteps of the Atlanta Thrashers. That's just what we need, for Sather to start looking to Waddell for answers.
Why do you assume the Rangers would pay the same price for Tkachuk? Maybe you should hold off on your daily school girl rants until the deal is actually made....

Quote:
What I find boring is the incessant need of some of this team's fans to push for the club to just throw assets away, throw cap space away, for ridiculous and unrealistic playoff aspirations.

Unrealistic playoff aspirations......Really? You realize this team could win the division, have home ice in a round or two etc.....You know they have a word for people that have a loser mentality....i won't insult you by calling you a loser but I'm thankful someone with you personality doesn't run this team.......

Quote:
As far as Schremp goes, a month ago, the entire Oilers fanbase was clamoring for MacT's head and praising Schremp for the way he was handling a difficult situation. Lazy he may be, but he had 3 points in 4 games when he was called up before being inexplicably sent down. PPG player last season in the AHL, too.

Besides, if Sather doesn't like lazy players, maybe he shouldn't have signed Gomez.

THE entire fanbase? You're telling me there isn't one Oilers fan that doesn't think Shremp has made his own bed in his career? 3 points in 4 games is a pretty small sample size wouldn't you agree?

Your daily Gomez rants are more annoying the the Tkachuk rants....Scott Gomez does a lot for this team (win faceoff kills penalties) and has nobody to play with...If Gomez had a snipper on his wing wouldn't he have the numbers to match his effort?

Wait....que the "gomez was scratched in the playoffs" retort....rinse and repeat....YAWN...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:43 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Why do you assume the Rangers would pay the same price for Tkachuk? Maybe you should hold off on your daily school girl rants until the deal is actually made....
That's intelligent...

I don't need to assume what the price will be, nor do I think it will be the same price. It will most certainly be less than what Atlanta paid, but that doesn't mean it's a price worth paying. The price is going to be a first, or a second + prospect. Either way, it's too high.

Quote:
Unrealistic playoff aspirations......Really? You realize this team could win the division, have home ice in a round or two etc.....You know they have a word for people that have a loser mentality....i won't insult you by calling you a loser but I'm thankful someone with you personality doesn't run this team.......
How is my hypothesis that the team will finish in the 5th, 6th (most likely), or 7th seed, and will later be eliminated in the first or second round, any less realistic than yours?

But yes, be thankful that Sather is in charge. That's the personality you want running the team. Guy hasn't done squat in two decades and basically has a job for life as long as the team is good enough to make the playoffs. Clearly, he's really motivated to do what's right for the team.

Quote:
THE entire fanbase? You're telling me there isn't one Oilers fan that doesn't think Shremp has made his own bed in his career? 3 points in 4 games is a pretty small sample size wouldn't you agree?
Doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to figure out that I was exaggerating, but my point is still valid. The MAJORITY of the Oiler fanbase held that opinion....better?

It is a pretty small sample size, which is, once again, why it's just as fair to say that he was good in those games as it is to say that he was bad. I think he was pretty good, especially when you consider he must have been aware that this was a big, big opportunity for him. There was a lot of pressure. He knows the coach doesn't like him, but he played pretty well considering.

Quote:
Your daily Gomez rants are more annoying the the Tkachuk rants....Scott Gomez does a lot for this team (win faceoff kills penalties) and has nobody to play with...If Gomez had a snipper on his wing wouldn't he have the numbers to match his effort?
Ummm...no? He's on pace for 56 points in 74 games. Say he played all 82, that's what, 60 points? He's always been a 60-70 point player. This isn't much different than the usual. Besides, if you think you need a sniper for him to play with, maybe you shouldn't pay him and 2 other guys so much money that you can't afford to get one.

You think Gomez does a lot for this team, and I think Gomez does a lot more bad than good. Gomez kills penalties? Half the team's forwards kill penalties. I'll gladly take a player who earns less than Gomez does, produces more offensively, and DOESN'T kill penalties. We don't need him to kill penalties. Blair Betts, Sjostrom, Drury, Callahan, Dubinsky...all capable of killing penalties.

Him being a penalty killer and good at faceoffs doesn't make up for the fact that he has a ridiculous obsession with shooting the puck (team leader in SOG, one of the worst shooting %'s in the NHL), that he is a turnover machine, and that he apparently can't find chemistry with anyone other than Elias and Gionta.

Quote:
Wait....que the "gomez was scratched in the playoffs" retort....rinse and repeat....YAWN...
Say what you want, but the Devils were smart enough to realize he wasn't worth it. You want Sather to emulate someone? Try Lamorriello, not Waddell.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:49 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
My anti-Tkachuk rants are boring? Again, forgive me if I'd rather the Rangers didn't follow in the glorious footsteps of the Atlanta Thrashers. That's just what we need, for Sather to start looking to Waddell for answers.
Uh, Tkachuk was not the problem that year. He was actually great in the playoffs for the first time in God knows how long.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:04 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Uh, Tkachuk was not the problem that year. He was actually great in the playoffs for the first time in God knows how long.
I watched that series, and he was no better (or worse) than he always was. But that isn't even the point. The point is that it was a terrible trade because it made no sense to give up that many assets for a player that wasn't going to elevate your team in any significant fashion.

The same applies here. The addition of Keith Tkachuk will not elevate this team to the conference finals.

At least Atlanta had some kind of a reason: they were desperate to make the playoffs. This team isn't as desperate, it's a virtual lock for the playoffs. Why trade away a first or second round pick. Considering how many picks Sather has blown, we need all the opportunities we can get. A first or a second is another chance at drafting another top prospect. That chance is not worthing giving away for a month and a half of Keith Tkachuk.

Old
02-02-2009, 12:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Why trade away a first or second round pick. Considering how many picks Sather has blown, we need all the opportunities we can get. A first or a second is another chance at drafting another top prospect.
Have you seen the Rangers recent draft history?

Staal
Sanguinetti
Cherepanov
Del Zotto
Anisimov
Grachev
Dubinsky
Callahan
Korpikoski
Stepan
Hagelin
Kundratek
Doyle
Kveton

All drafted since 2004

All either in the NHL or have a chance to make it. Except for Cherepanov (RIP).

Yes, we understand the Montoya and Jessiman picks didn't pan out... can we get over it?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:33 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Staal
Sanguinetti
Cherepanov
Del Zotto
Anisimov
Grachev
Dubinsky
Callahan
Korpikoski
Stepan
Hagelin
Kundratek
Doyle
Kveton

All drafted since 2004

Yes, we understand the Montoya and Jessiman picks didn't pan out... can we get over it?
3 of those guys have actually amounted to something at this point. Considering Sather's draft history, I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that all of these players are going to be NHLers just yet. Most of them have a long, long way to go.

Besides, I'm with you. I'm for taking a chance on Schremp. What I'm against is dealing draft picks for Keith Tkachuk.

Old
02-02-2009, 12:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
3 of those guys have actually amounted to something at this point. Considering Sather's draft history, I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that all of these players are going to be NHLers just yet. Most of them have a long, long way to go.

Besides, I'm with you. I'm for taking a chance on Schremp. What I'm against is dealing draft picks for Keith Tkachuk.
I'm with you on that. I definitely wouldn't want to give up a pick this year. The next two drafts are very deep.

I was just saying, you have to give some of them time to develop. I think there are good NHL players in that group.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:08 PM
gardenfaithful44

I've been saying for the past 2 years that Shremp would look great in a Ranger uniform. As for him teaching Shremp how to play NHL hockey, well Zherdev has learned to play defense and kicked the team killer attitude since his arrival, so I think Renney could do the same for Schremp.

gardenfaithful44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:09 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Again, if he could be had for very little, I'd take a flier.

Well if the Oil are looking to do something to help the team THIS year , giving Schremp for 5th rounder probably isnt high on the to do list.

They could hold him throw him in the package for whatever they do need and if that doesnt work give him up to Sather on Draft day.

I wish he was the answer to the Rangers immediate needs but thats a long shot

Old
02-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfaithful44 View Post
I've been saying for the past 2 years that Shremp would look great in a Ranger uniform. As for him teaching Shremp how to play NHL hockey, well Zherdev has learned to play defense and kicked the team killer attitude since his arrival, so I think Renney could do the same for Schremp.

Renny is GREAT with young players from a skills and attitude standpoint. Hes a GREAT coach one on one.

Old
02-02-2009, 01:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Well if the Oil are looking to do something to help the team THIS year , giving Schremp for 5th rounder probably isnt high on the to do list.

They could hold him throw him in the package for whatever they do need and if that doesnt work give him up to Sather on Draft day.

I wish he was the answer to the Rangers immediate needs but thats a long shot
I agree that the trade wont help either team immediately however if Schremp is just going to rot in the AHL they may just be willing to get rid of him soon so as to possibly be able to use that extra pick to make another trade for something they need.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Renny is GREAT with young players from a skills and attitude standpoint. Hes a GREAT coach one on one.
Exactly. He'd be phenomenal as the VP of player development...

As for Schremp, like others have said, I'd take a flier - for a flier's market price.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:42 PM
trilobyte

A guy like Claude Julien maybe could maybe make a guy like Schremp shine. I honestly think Renney has the opposite effect on players. The ones with signs of dazzle come down in performance to percolate around where the bar is set (low), the pluggers improve somewhat.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:21 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Staal
Sanguinetti
Cherepanov
Del Zotto
Anisimov
Grachev
Dubinsky
Callahan
Korpikoski
Stepan
Hagelin
Kundratek
Doyle
Kveton

All drafted since 2004

It's true the Jessiman pick didn't pan out. But we went back to that round and picked up Zherdev who went #4 overall that year.

And don't forget we were able to trade Montoya and Hossa. One of which, I don't think is even in the NHL anymore and Montoya is not even a back up goal tender in Phoenix. Out of the deal, at least we got a major upgrade to Ryan Hollweg with likes of Frederik Sjostrom. Sjostrom doesn't take dumb penalties, he kills penalties, he's an all around better two way player. Betts is probably much happier he has a reliable and responsible left winger who can even plug in some points through out the season as well.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:42 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Exactly. He'd be phenomenal as the VP of player development...

As for Schremp, like others have said, I'd take a flier - for a flier's market price.
Are you proposing a coaching change? The Sens just fired Hartsburg? We got Torts out there. Laviolette? I'll tell you the one guy I like.

Marc Crawford. He won coach of the year with the old Quebec Nordiques, no less. He did a much better job in Vancouver over the quitter (Mike Keenen). He is by far the winningest coach in Canucks history. They let him go because he never won the Stanley Cup with Vancouver (Something they're still working on) but did manage to hoist a Stanley Cup with the Avalanche. His last job was with the Kings who haven't had success with Crawford. I have to check and see we're they are in the standings now and since.

I'm not saying, fire Tom Renney but are you?

Old
02-03-2009, 01:21 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
It's true the Jessiman pick didn't pan out. But we went back to that round and picked up Zherdev who went #4 overall that year.
You really need to stop dwelling on these points because this is a very silly way of looking at it. We "picked up" Nik Zherdev in exchange for a second round pick that turned out to be a pretty good defenseman. It's not like we got Zherdev for free so that makes up for the fact that Jessiman was a terrible pick. We had to give up something of value for him. We didn't trade Jessiman for Zherdev, it doesn't work that way.

Quote:
And don't forget we were able to trade Montoya and Hossa. One of which, I don't think is even in the NHL anymore and Montoya is not even a back up goal tender in Phoenix. Out of the deal, at least we got a major upgrade to Ryan Hollweg with likes of Frederik Sjostrom. Sjostrom doesn't take dumb penalties, he kills penalties, he's an all around better two way player. Betts is probably much happier he has a reliable and responsible left winger who can even plug in some points through out the season as well.
Again, same thing here. Montoya was the 6th pick in the draft. So essentially, we got a 4th line player with the 6th pick in the draft. That isn't something to be proud of, that's Sather trying to make the most of another terrible pick. Is it good that he turned this horrid pick into ANYTHING remotely useful like Sjostrom? Sure, but this isn't something to talk about and praise him for. The end result is for our 6th overall selection, we have a 4th line player to show for it.

Old
02-03-2009, 01:37 AM
gravytrain6t

Why is it so silly. I think Tyutin is a solid defense man. Think it's silly too say that's not a terrific trade from a Rangers stand point. If anyone is too say that. And yea, what is so bad about going back and trading Hossa who was useless and Montoya who is not playing at all for a guy who plays every day. And you can play him 3rd line and 4th line and he does his job well.

Why in the world is this so silly?