HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does Gainey do Now?

Old
02-02-2009, 10:53 AM
HotPie

vCash: 500
I think some people here are way too quick to rag on Gainey, when hardly any of the blame lies on him.

The reality is that a lot of the players that were expected to do well on this team are not.

To put this into illustration, our leading forward is LANG. The same Lang who was merely. supposed to be our 3rd line centre and add some offensive depth to our team. IMO, this characterizes exactly what kind of problems we are having this season.

Higgins, the Kostitsyn brothers, Kovalev (to a certain extent; he's not playing as badly as a lot of people seem to think but he is definitely not performing to expectations) Hamrlik (not having a great season); all these players have one thing in common:

They're not performing up to expectations. I think at this point it's useless to gut this team to get a superstar (not as if any are that available anyways).

What Gainey needs to do is lock-up Komisarek to a 4 year deal (at least), lock up Koivu, and then constantly assess our team's play throughout the rest of the season and THEN decide who to sign new contracts to and who to trade. In the off season.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:27 AM
AlexMeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I think some people here are way too quick to rag on Gainey, when hardly any of the blame lies on him.

The reality is that a lot of the players that were expected to do well on this team are not.

To put this into illustration, our leading forward is LANG. The same Lang who was merely. supposed to be our 3rd line centre and add some offensive depth to our team. IMO, this characterizes exactly what kind of problems we are having this season.

Higgins, the Kostitsyn brothers, Kovalev (to a certain extent; he's not playing as badly as a lot of people seem to think but he is definitely not performing to expectations) Hamrlik (not having a great season); all these players have one thing in common:

They're not performing up to expectations. I think at this point it's useless to gut this team to get a superstar (not as if any are that available anyways).

What Gainey needs to do is lock-up Komisarek to a 4 year deal (at least), lock up Koivu, and then constantly assess our team's play throughout the rest of the season and THEN decide who to sign new contracts to and who to trade. In the off season.
I don't think anyone blames Gainey for what he did, but people try to anticipate what he will do (if he does anything).

AlexMeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Macs

1. Order a st-hubert meal
2. Call-up young players from Hamilton
3. Evaluate
4. Get on the phone

Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Just to add, The Habs really pulled to have an A team for the centennial, but let's be honest, it hasn't been easy with injuries to Price, Saku, Tanguay, Higgins, Dandenault, A. Kostitsyn and BGL. Yet they are still 2nd in the NE division. If everyone is health by the start of the play-offs, except maybe Lang and can at least play motivated until the end of the season, it's still a better team then last year considering the experience gained by the younger players.

Let's just hope that that Kovy, Plecky and Kosty start playing to their potential and pray the Habs start the play-offs with everyone ok except again for Lang.
These young players like Pleks and Higgins were counted on to score around 30 goals each this year while guys like Sergei and Lats had to break out and get around 20...Price 17 wins in 31 games? That's not good enough.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:55 AM
la25ecoupe

As someone here said, let's hear his thoughts..

Last edited by la25ecoupe: 02-02-2009 at 12:01 PM.
la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
habsdude

That reporter needs to stick the microphone closer to his ear! What are those little voices inside his head saying!? "Chicken breasts or fingers? Ah, screw it, i'll just order both."

habsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
la25ecoupe

I have a feeling we will be on fire from now on. Everyone will step their game up for the missing players.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I've talked about it already, I know he's not THE answer, far from it, too young for that, but how about Brian Boyle? How about a fresh start for this 6'6'' centerman who struggles a little, might not be the fastest skater and is probably not the most physical guy despite his size....I know, as far as the physical part, things like that were said about Blake Wheeler, but it seems that when he was brought in in LA to play in a first 2 lines role, he scored 4 goals in 8 games. LA doesn't have room for him on the top 2 line, we might find room for him and he could still adress some size issue despite not being physical.

Again, I know I didn't find THE answer to all of our problems, but if players can have fresh starts elsewhere how about we try it and it shouldn't cost that much.

It is possible that he has a Blake Wheeler's type of development....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:14 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I've talked about it already, I know he's not THE answer, far from it, too young for that, but how about Brian Boyle? How about a fresh start for this 6'6'' centerman who struggles a little, might not be the fastest skater and is probably not the most physical guy despite his size....I know, as far as the physical part, things like that were said about Blake Wheeler, but it seems that when he was brought in in LA to play in a first 2 lines role, he scored 4 goals in 8 games. LA doesn't have room for him on the top 2 line, we might find room for him and he could still adress some size issue despite not being physical.

Again, I know I didn't find THE answer to all of our problems, but if players can have fresh starts elsewhere how about we try it and it shouldn't cost that much.

Boyle, right now, doesn't bring anything to a team other than being tall.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
Boyle, right now, doesn't bring anything to a team other than being tall.
Boyle is a PPG......in the AHL, I know. Now, seems that he's not used properly. The guy skates well, still have some nice abilities and if paired with something decent, the guy might have just lost the confidence....not the abilities to play.

Again, I wasn't throwing all my hope and players at him and the Kings, just an idea....I'm pretty sure that having Blake Wheeler at the beginning of the year would not have been seen as the promised land either...

Old
02-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Habs

He's trying to figure out how to trade Markov and get nothing in return. This will complete his destruction of his blueline, rendering his 5 year plan a success.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:35 PM
HotHabsFan*

as from Bobs mouth, he is trying to figure out what to do with the
"plafond cereale".

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
as from Bobs mouth, he is trying to figure out what to do with the
"plafond cereale".
He should be going after Chris CHEERIOS....

Old
02-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Capitano

If I were BG I would try to trade Kovalev for a draft pick. I'm a Kovy fan, but I think it's time for him to go.

I'm even wondering if removing him from the lineup would help us more than when he plays!

I wonder if Guy will sit him down?

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
As someone here said, let's ear his thoughts..

I think that makes it a bit better.

Probably in like a week trades will come ? We'll need some players for the west coast trip.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

He would be nice but in all honesty, Bob want a vet for this season. Summers will be a busy time for GM in theis new NHL

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:52 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
He would be nice but in all honesty, Bob want a vet for this season. Summers will be a busy time for GM in theis new NHL
wow at 6'7 245 lbs, he is huge for a center !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Capitano

Quote:
But does he speak french?

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
He doesn't play so big though he has 40ish hits in 20 games...He does make Phaneuf look like a puppet though...

P.S. Please tell me if the youtube works, 'cause it doesn't for me.

Old
02-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Megaforce

Video works fine. Man, even if he never does anything else in his career thats a heckuva hightlight. He turned the Sloppy Second guy into a frozen pancake.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:24 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Kovalev would look good with Pittsburgh

Kovalev for Ryan Withney!

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:25 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Video works fine. Man, even if he never does anything else in his career thats a heckuva hightlight. He turned the Sloppy Second guy into a frozen pancake.
His 1st NHL goal was vs Brodeur!
He could be very nice to be in the mix. This year, I'm not sure he is the answer

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Craig71

We are becoming Edmonton Oilers of the east, tons of great young talent, develop them, and watch them leave as ufas. Komisarek will be gone this summer, straight back to long Island. He is the only defenceman with both grit and skill and without him it will get even worse. Kovalev is respected by the two young kos brothers and he is a terrible role model, one good game out of five is'nt good enough in the NHl and he needs to go.Did anyone watch the game yesterday? The bruins beat Montreal with their size and basically shut them down. Gainey needs to do something but I dont think he is able to, becuse of the cba and the way things have tightened up with regards to trades. I think we will be lucky to make the playoffs, and it will be at best a first round departure, then back to the drawing board in the off-season ,clean house and new philosophy.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 cupless years View Post
Team is struggling, lost our best center for the year, lats is out for a month, tanguay won't be back for several weeks (apparently)...

What will Gainey do to spark plug this team? We're going on a brutal road trip at a time when we're playing like junk away from home...
Gainey has to do something and fast. We can't afford to sit and wait for the deadline and be outbid again for our potential 'target' acquisitions.

Don't make a move for the sake of making a move, but hurry the hell up in your 'assessment' of the team and make this team better. the trade rumors and the media are a sandstorm and obviously on the minds of all the affected players....make a move, make a statement and then give the guys an assurance about their future with the team. He works in such ambiguity that it makes me go crazy.

Bah, what do you guys think the team should do? Ride it out so we end up like the Canucks or be aggressive and save the season from a failure of epic proportions?
It's not the GM's job to get the team out of slumps, it's the coach.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 cupless years View Post
hahaha, yah...exactly.

Team is on a 3 game losing streak - so bob what are you doing?
"assessing the team, i don't want to rush anything"

Team has won 1 game in 7 games and falling down the standings- so bob what are you doing?
"oh hey, still assessing the team...this is hard work i'm telling ya"

Team is fighting for the playoffs with the Deadline approaching in a hurry
- so bob what are you doing?
"well, listen folks. i've assessed this team and there are some players available but this would require us to give something back, so at this time i'll continue to assess my team until the other teams feel ready to lower their expectations...so brb, assessing team"

Team has missed the playoffs and trade deadline is over - so bob what are you doing?
"well, assessing the team as always...getting ready to assess the potential draft picks"
It's stupid to think that the GM has to make a trade every time the team is in a slump. It's not up to the GM to get the team out of the slump.

Gainey gave Carbo a very deep and talented team, I'm not sure Carbo is good enough of a coach to get full mileage out of that team.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote