HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New skates

Old
01-17-2009, 02:16 PM
TBLightningFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
New skates

Today I decided to take a chance and get some skates so I can learn and maybe even look into beginner hockey.

After trying on a bunch of skates, I ended up ordering the CCM Vector V06 skates. The other pair I considered was the Reebok 5k skates. I like the pump ones because it felt extra snug around the higher part of my ankle. I went with the CCM because the cost was much less and it fit my heel and the rest of my foot perfectly. However, the upper part of the boot is more on the open side compared the the rest i tried on. It feels a little funny. The shop stressed that having the heel and rest of the boot fit well is most important (which I can agree with)

Being a beginning skater, am I going to do fine with the skate being more open up top? Does anyone have these skates and if so how do you like them?

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 05:18 PM
tcjsport1928

I have the vector v10s which i love, and i also have the vector v3 which i like also. yours are a step up from the 3s so i think you should like the skates

tcjsport1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:52 PM
EmptyNetter

You might love them but it's not what I would have recommended for a beginning skater. I started playing hockey in a pair of CCM Tacks which have a high boot that provides plenty of ankle support. Everybody's different but I'm glad I started with them. I just bought a pair of Eastons that are cut lower like the Vectors you ordered. After playing for 5 years I'm enjoying the added mobility but think they would have been a tough to skate in when I was just starting and my ankles lacked the strength to support my weight.

I'm still pretty happy with the Tacks (CCM discontinued them a few years ago, though) but with the Eastons I hope to take the next step with my skating. The lighter boot means I should be quicker and I'll have less fatigue, and the added range of movement in my ankle should improve my agility. Maybe the Vectors really are the right skate for you -- I'm sure plenty of people have started with a lower boot and had no problem with it. Hope you enjoy them.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:13 AM
Grind Line

When i started playing in July last year i also learnt to skate at the same time.
I bought the cheapest pair of skates CCM 92. They were go enough to learn in.
Last night i tried a pair of Easton for the first time. Much much better.
Better fit. Better blade. So much more comfotable and more blade on the ice as the CCM have a short radius and the Easton being longer give you more stability and much better contact with the ice. I used to find doing cross overs in the CCM that the back of the skate would sometimes slip away a bit. The Easton don't.
To summarise my rambling...CCM good to learn in....Easton for progression.

Grind Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 08:43 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Thanks for all of the input! I will let you know how my first class goes. I'm sure I will feel like idiot at first but thats ok.

In the end it will be worth it to participate with my son learning to play some hockey.

Old
01-20-2009, 01:08 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "more open up top." BUT the skates fit completely different. The RBKs have a wider heel and forefoot, as well as more depth. This might explain the "more open up top," what you might be explaining is less boot wrap.

A pic might help.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:11 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
You might love them but it's not what I would have recommended for a beginning skater. I started playing hockey in a pair of CCM Tacks which have a high boot that provides plenty of ankle support. Everybody's different but I'm glad I started with them. I just bought a pair of Eastons that are cut lower like the Vectors you ordered. After playing for 5 years I'm enjoying the added mobility but think they would have been a tough to skate in when I was just starting and my ankles lacked the strength to support my weight.

I'm still pretty happy with the Tacks (CCM discontinued them a few years ago, though) but with the Eastons I hope to take the next step with my skating. The lighter boot means I should be quicker and I'll have less fatigue, and the added range of movement in my ankle should improve my agility. Maybe the Vectors really are the right skate for you -- I'm sure plenty of people have started with a lower boot and had no problem with it. Hope you enjoy them.
We agree completely on this one. Even when you haven't skated for a few months, your ankles lose strength pretty quickly. Support=good, even at the cost of a little weight.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
TBLightningFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "more open up top." .
I guess a way to put it is that my ankle had a very large range of motion in those skates compared to the others i tried on that day and had in the past. I mainly had concerns about how my ankles would hold up while i learn to skate.

It was hard not to choose those, the fit felt too good to pass up on them

Old
01-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

for those with the vectors, how is the fit? i used to have tacks 152 ( a while ago) im thinking about getting some ccms. are they more of a classic skate, not as much composite? im not used to the newer stuff. i want somethiung that is comfortable. i dont mind something that isnt the lightest skate and whatever it is is probably lighter than my 3000s. anyway how are the vectors?

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 03:45 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
for those with the vectors, how is the fit? i used to have tacks 152 ( a while ago) im thinking about getting some ccms. are they more of a classic skate, not as much composite? im not used to the newer stuff. i want somethiung that is comfortable. i dont mind something that isnt the lightest skate and whatever it is is probably lighter than my 3000s. anyway how are the vectors?
Tacks and Vectors are completely different fits. You'd have to try them on to see for yourself. I believe the Tacks are much wider.

Sorry, the Vectors aren't your classic old school boot. Which by the way will be hard to find unless you go with Graf's.

It won't be hard to find something lighter than your 3000's. You really should spend some time trying on skates at a local shop. It's the only way to get a good feel for what the newer skates have to offer.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Tacks and Vectors are completely different fits. You'd have to try them on to see for yourself. I believe the Tacks are much wider.

Sorry, the Vectors aren't your classic old school boot. Which by the way will be hard to find unless you go with Graf's.

It won't be hard to find something lighter than your 3000's. You really should spend some time trying on skates at a local shop. It's the only way to get a good feel for what the newer skates have to offer.
thanks for the response. yea i actualy play goal but recently have been skating up a bit. anyway i have graf 750 goalie skates which i love and are more of that classic fit but graf doent really make a skater skate in my price range. i went to my local pro shop and tried some stuff on but they didnt have much. they only other place that would have alot of stuff is like an hour and a half away.

thanks again

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Hamilton35

By more open up top, I am guessing you are talking about the lower cut a Vector skate has. they don't go as high around the ankles as an Easton or Graf (for comparison). However, the 5k is a much softer skate than any Vector skate. Vector are notoriously stiff.

I work at a pro shop, in case anyone has anymore questions.

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 12:36 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
It was hard not to choose those, the fit felt too good to pass up on them
Actually, that's as good a reason as any.
Before I bought my new skates I tried them on in the store. They were about $75 more than I was hoping to pay and I was unsure about having less ankle support but they fit my arch beautifully, they were nice and light and felt like I was wearing sneakers. I think I dreamed about them that night.

I'm reading a book right now called "Open Ice" by Jack Falla -- it's a number of essays about hockey, life, etc. Ironically, there's one called "New Skates" where Falla finally gives in and replaces his rusting 20-something year old skates. The pair he buys are clearly superior to the old ones -- heat molded, lighter, etc -- but they are not extensions of his feet like the old skates had become. I guess what I'm saying is that there's a breaking in of any new skates. The longer you use them the more they'll become a part of you. Good luck, good skating and kudos to you for doing this with your son.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
TBLightningFan

Just an update. I went out for the first time and the skates were awesome. Because I haven't skated since I was 12 or 13. Even then I could only really skate forward anyway. It took me a good 10 minutes to have any sort of decent balance. By the time the class was over I was able to do quite a bit. I could get moving easily but pulling off a snowplow was not going to happen. The instructor had me doing swizzles and I could feel what I was supposed to do to stop. Then I turn around to actually do it and the edge still just digs in too much. I hope to do it right this week!!

The skates were comfortable but the ankle support was awful. I had just picked them up before class. So they were not baked yet so I could use them. I had that done right away after class and I look forward to seeing how much better it feels. In the shop after they baked them they felt really snug and seem like that will make a world of difference.

I'm still surprised I picked up that much that fast after almost 17 years.