HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

HDTV TV Help

Old
01-30-2009, 01:59 PM
theotis77

vCash: 500
You'd be surprised at how many people do. But, yeah... there really is no such thing as "good quality" sound from a TV. If you're not hooking it up to a Dolby Digital receiver, you're not really taking advantage of HD.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
I use my Panny plasma's internal speakers. Sound fine to me. I'm in a condo though and I don't own a console or a BR player, so I didn't feel I needed to build a HT or buy a HTIB until I get a house in a couple years. 5.1+ would be nice, but I can wait for now.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
ladybugblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModanoMan View Post
Your TV's scaler will upscale the DVD signal to 1080p.

But yes, if you have a upscaling 1080p DVD player, component won't work. Your TV will do it for you though.
So you are saying from a s-video connection the TV will upscale to 1080p? If so, where is this setting as the picture is crap through s-video and great through HDMI.

Confused.

ladybugblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Smelling Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugblue View Post
So you are saying from a s-video connection the TV will upscale to 1080p? If so, where is this setting as the picture is crap through s-video and great through HDMI.

Confused.
That's because S-Video is the worst possible connection you can use. Of course it looks better through HDMI. Ditch the S-Video pronto.

Old
01-30-2009, 11:35 PM
theotis77

Quote:

Confused.
No, S-Video typically will not. S-Video passes a lower-quality 480i analog signal. But, just about ANY modern DVD player manufactured in the past 5 years is capable of Progressive Scan, and will have Component outputs (the Red/Blue/Green RCA connectors) on it. Progressive Scan outputs in high-quality 480p over the Component connectors, and your TV will automatically upscale that to 720 or 1080, whichever your native resolution is.

Old
01-31-2009, 10:30 AM
ladybugblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
No, S-Video typically will not. S-Video passes a lower-quality 480i analog signal. But, just about ANY modern DVD player manufactured in the past 5 years is capable of Progressive Scan, and will have Component outputs (the Red/Blue/Green RCA connectors) on it. Progressive Scan outputs in high-quality 480p over the Component connectors, and your TV will automatically upscale that to 720 or 1080, whichever your native resolution is.
Okay I get it...so if you DVD player does not have component out and progressive then the upscaling does not occur. My old DVD player didn't have this, so I am glad I got the Blu ray player as this upscale. I was just confused with what another poster said about my TV upscaling from just a regular DVD player.

Thanks

ladybugblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
theotis77

Quote:
Okay I get it...so if you DVD player does not have component out and progressive then the upscaling does not occur. My old DVD player didn't have this, so I am glad I got the Blu ray player as this upscale. I was just confused with what another poster said about my TV upscaling from just a regular DVD player.

Thanks
I should clarify a little... if you're seeing a full-screen picture (even if it's 4:3) over S-Video, then your TV is upscaling it. However, it'll look terrible because S-Video is pretty low quality, so the TV doesn't have much to work with.

If you're not seeing full-screen (i.e., the picture is a small box in the middle of the TV), then it's not upscaling. I believe some TVs may not upscale S-Video or composite.

Old
01-31-2009, 01:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

S-Video is the worst option possible!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 02:49 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Steve View Post
sports and fast action equals plasma.

Look into Panasonic! Everyone i know has one and loves it for sport, action movies etc

Great quality screen.

Dont buy Samsung. Sound quality is pretty bad!
I won a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma 720p TV from a car dealership I got my car from in a raffle, and I absolutely love the thing. I was in the market for a plasma anyway, and I ended up winning it, which saved me some money. Just wanted to say Im very happy with it and my future plasma TV's will probably be panasonic as well.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 01:00 AM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Steve View Post
sports and fast action equals plasma.

Look into Panasonic! Everyone i know has one and loves it for sport, action movies etc

Great quality screen.
It's true - I have had my Panasonic TH50PZ800 for about 5 weeks now and it still blows me away. I actually spent about 30 minutes last weekend watching golf ( and I freaking hate golf !!!! ) just because I was mesmerized by the picture.

BostonBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
The reason is simple: the average human eye will not notice the difference between 720 and 1080 unless you are sitting very close (what most would consider too close) or have a very large TV (58"+). There are many 720 sets that are reviewed and test higher than 1080 sets for picture quality and other factors. In a normal viewing position you will not notice the difference.

Also, the jump between 720 and 1080 in model lines is more like $400 plus. Unless you are comparing cheap brand 1080 to good brand 720. The difference is usually around 25-50% of total purchase price.

That said, I bought a 1080, but I'm sucker for marketing.
The difference is pretty clear to me and most other people for that matter.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Smelling Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
No, it's not. But keep saying it because it might come true.

Old
02-02-2009, 05:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
It's a matter of biology not opinion/preference... Your eyes physically cannot see more detail at certain distances from the source.... That's why the chart was created....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Meaning any difference you think you see is all in your head.

Which is what the manufacturers hope happens.