HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Player won't wear his protective gear

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2009, 03:26 PM
  #26
190Octane
Registered User
 
190Octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,583
vCash: 500
I Dont understand why some of you don't wear elbow pads, do you find them too bulky or do they impair your movements?

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:50 PM
  #27
Steelhead16
Registered User
 
Steelhead16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 500
I wear minimal pads for most games or scrimmages but I would never complain about getting hit. He can play that way but he needs to shut his yap if he gets hit. I do wear a helmet now most of the time but I didn't for about 10 years. I was playing with better guys then though. Now playing with guys who wear cages the sticks are always up around the head. I did notice that it took a few slapshots to the chest and a few sticks to the head before guys knew that it was okay to just play normally against me and that I wasn't going to cry. That's part of the reason I wear more gear now. He is affecting the ways you guys play I'm sure and that isn't fair to you guys. Just try and play the same aginst him. If he gets hit too bad. If it happens enough he'll either gear up or get out. If you guys keep altering your game to accomidate him he will never change and you'll be stuck with him forever.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
  #28
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Is the pick up session run by an idividual or the rink itself?

If it's run by an individual, don't let him play unless he wears at least his shins and pants. He has them so this isn't a question of not having the proper gear.

If it's run by the rink, go to the manager and tell them you are affraid this guy is going to get hurt. He has the gear, just chooses not to wear it.

Oh, and it his responsibility to protect himself. I'd be the first person to tell him so when he whinned about getting dinged...aka "stop your whinning and go put your gear on, otherwise shut the hell up".

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
  #29
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
I wear minimal pads for most games or scrimmages but I would never complain about getting hit. He can play that way but he needs to shut his yap if he gets hit. I do wear a helmet now most of the time but I didn't for about 10 years. I was playing with better guys then though. Now playing with guys who wear cages the sticks are always up around the head. I did notice that it took a few slapshots to the chest and a few sticks to the head before guys knew that it was okay to just play normally against me and that I wasn't going to cry. That's part of the reason I wear more gear now. He is affecting the ways you guys play I'm sure and that isn't fair to you guys. Just try and play the same aginst him. If he gets hit too bad. If it happens enough he'll either gear up or get out. If you guys keep altering your game to accomidate him he will never change and you'll be stuck with him forever.
Seriously. Don't accomidate him. Make it so that he has three choices:

1. Wear pads.
2. Stop coming to open hockey.
3. Be miserable and get whacked in the shins a lot.


I would go out of my way to make sure he didn't have a good time. Nothing dirty, but when I go into the corner for a puck, I look at who I'm going in with (instinct from playing in real games; I wanna know how big the guy is or who it is, etc.) and if I saw it was him, I would make sure to not ease up and go after the puck just like I would against the best guy out there. If his shins are getting hacked up it's his own damn problem and not a single other person's.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:07 AM
  #30
Keetz
Registered User
 
Keetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Little Falls
Country: Scotland
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
Seriously. Don't accomidate him. Make it so that he has three choices:

1. Wear pads.
2. Stop coming to open hockey.
3. Be miserable and get whacked in the shins a lot.


I would go out of my way to make sure he didn't have a good time. Nothing dirty, but when I go into the corner for a puck, I look at who I'm going in with (instinct from playing in real games; I wanna know how big the guy is or who it is, etc.) and if I saw it was him, I would make sure to not ease up and go after the puck just like I would against the best guy out there. If his shins are getting hacked up it's his own damn problem and not a single other person's.
so very true if you let up on your play YOUR the one who's going to get hurt. Float a few hard passes through his legs no matter if your playing with or against him. if he cries foul, tell him you pay money to play hard and your going to get your moneys worth.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:43 PM
  #31
Pog Form
Registered User
 
Pog Form's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Talk to the rink manager. The rink should have rules in place re: use of protective equipment. If they don't, let the rink manager know that they really ought to.

Honestly, that is ridiculous. I can't even imagine somebody playing pick-up with no gear on. I know a couple of guys who don't wear shoulder pads and I think that even THAT is irresponsible.

Yikes.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 01:28 AM
  #32
night-timer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Thanks for the replies.. . yes, I played 'softly' against him last weekend and he skated around me on the boards (I kinda let him) and he scored a nice goal... one that he didn't really deserve.

(If he had pads on, I would've driven him toward the boards - just to cut him off, not to knock him over.)

This is a non-contact scrimmage but, as I said, accidental falls or collisions can still happen.

Even professional skaters fall over.

Or he could connect with a loose puck or stick.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 06:23 AM
  #33
DevilsFan38
Registered User
 
DevilsFan38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
Thanks for the replies.. . yes, I played 'softly' against him last weekend and he skated around me on the boards (I kinda let him) and he scored a nice goal... one that he didn't really deserve.

(If he had pads on, I would've driven him toward the boards - just to cut him off, not to knock him over.)

This is a non-contact scrimmage but, as I said, accidental falls or collisions can still happen.

Even professional skaters fall over.

Or he could connect with a loose puck or stick.
So what's happened with the situation? Have you gotten him to put on pads yet?

I agree with what everyone else has said - talk to the rink manager.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:41 AM
  #34
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'd seek him out when I have the puck and let it rip if he's actually playing defense(sounds like the kind of idiot that hangs out at the other teams blueline in pickup...lol)

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:29 AM
  #35
night-timer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
So what's happened with the situation? Have you gotten him to put on pads yet?

I agree with what everyone else has said - talk to the rink manager.

He's still showing up without gear. I can't understand him, either. Does he think it looks 'cool'?

And he has been known to throw a hissy fit when he takes a tumble. He blames us, not himself.

The guy must have his head buried in the sand about possible injuries. Personally, I'd be terrified of a slapshot to the shins. (Or anywhere else, for that matter!)

I am NOT kidding when I say I avoid rink politics. I'm concerned about this guy, but I don't want to get involved in policing the behavior of other players.

I'll mention it to rink management without identifying the guy. He might get cute and try to take legal action if he is injured by a fellow player or on rink property.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 07:45 AM
  #36
Wisent
Registered User
 
Wisent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mannheim
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 500
I would just not let him play with me. Obviously, if he likes to get injured, I want no part of that.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:00 AM
  #37
Q038
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Edm
Country: Canada
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
He's still showing up without gear. I can't understand him, either. Does he think it looks 'cool'?

And he has been known to throw a hissy fit when he takes a tumble. He blames us, not himself.

The guy must have his head buried in the sand about possible injuries. Personally, I'd be terrified of a slapshot to the shins. (Or anywhere else, for that matter!)

I am NOT kidding when I say I avoid rink politics. I'm concerned about this guy, but I don't want to get involved in policing the behavior of other players.

I'll mention it to rink management without identifying the guy. He might get cute and try to take legal action if he is injured by a fellow player or on rink property.

If he has the equipment and won't wear it then the injuries are entirely his own responsibility.. Just treat him like he's wearing it and ignor his hissy fits and he'll start wearing it... It sounds like to me you all are to blame for enabling him to get away with the lack of equipment..

the only exception ive been a part of was for a couple weeks a very nice gentlemen started showed up for some pickup games and made it known he couldn't afford equipment at the time so everyone avoided hurting him to much when we were sure he wanted to hang around awhile a few of us pooled a few dollars and a quick trip to a couple second hand sporting goods stores and he was gtg from then on..

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
  #38
MikeD
Registered User
 
MikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
I'll mention it to rink management without identifying the guy. He might get cute and try to take legal action if he is injured by a fellow player or on rink property.
If this is in the US, play at a rink is "at your own risk". Unless there is a hazard or unsafe condition that the rink has been notified of, there is no legal action that can be taken (successfully). The exception to this would be any action done with the intention of causing bodily harm to this player beyond that reasonable and expected, with in the rules.

with that being said, every rink does post notice asking that any unsafe condition be brought to the attention of the rink staff. A sure fire way to put a stop to this, if the majority of your group are regulars to this open skate, is boycott as a group. The rink management will get that message VERY fast. If dont want to go to those extremes..when the guy takes the ice for his shift..empty the ice, including goalies. everyone go to the bench. If you can get the goalies to join your cause, it will work.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.