HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Circuit City to liquidate remaining U.S. stores

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2009, 01:34 PM
  #76
87vert
 
87vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
any idea if the ps3's will be on sale? and if so how much?

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:57 PM
  #77
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 25,477
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
any idea if the ps3's will be on sale? and if so how much?
I doubt it.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:59 PM
  #78
87vert
 
87vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
drats, Im looking to offload my 360 and get a ps3. Someone told me that Circuit city had Wii's for 200 so I thought ps3's might be on sale.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
  #79
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen View Post
You're a different breed, then. Any time I go to Best Buy and need help finding something or have a question, there's nobody to be found.
Agreed, I was looking to pickup NHL09 a few weeks ago because it was on sale at BB and I had to hound 2 employees having a conversion. I seemed to have ticked off one of the guys and he bluntly said "Which Console?" to which I answered "Xbox 360" and he answered just a bluntly "No, it's sold out" and went right back to his conversation. He didn't even offer to tell me when they might be getting new copies.

I've worked at retail and if I answered like that I probably would have been fired. I mean I would have at least said: "I'm sorry sir, we are all sold out. If you come back on *insert later date here* we might get a new shipment of copies".

Just to see if all the departments were acting the same way I walked around every section of the store: Computers/Laptops, Sound Systems, HDTVs, CD/DVD section, I didn't get a peep out of anyone, not even a "Can I help you, sir?"

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:29 PM
  #80
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Agreed, I was looking to pickup NHL09 a few weeks ago because it was on sale at BB and I had to hound 2 employees having a conversion. I seemed to have ticked off one of the guys and he bluntly said "Which Console?" to which I answered "Xbox 360" and he answered just a bluntly "No, it's sold out" and went right back to his conversation. He didn't even offer to tell me when they might be getting new copies.

I've worked at retail and if I answered like that I probably would have been fired. I mean I would have at least said: "I'm sorry sir, we are all sold out. If you come back on *insert later date here* we might get a new shipment of copies".

Just to see if all the departments were acting the same way I walked around every section of the store: Computers/Laptops, Sound Systems, HDTVs, CD/DVD section, I didn't get a peep out of anyone, not even a "Can I help you, sir?"
I find this story to be highly exagerated. I work at Best buy and we have to contact customers. We even get complaints from customers who get contacted too much.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:31 PM
  #81
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Why? A DVI signal is electrically compatible with an HDMI video signal; no signal conversion needs to take place when an adapter is used, so no loss in video quality occurs.

DVI = HDMI - (Sound + HDCP)
its stupid because the adapter slows it down. there are cables with both ends to them so you don't need an adapter.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:47 PM
  #82
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I find this story to be highly exagerated. I work at Best buy and we have to contact customers. We even get complaints from customers who get contacted too much.
It has to be different from BB to BB because I'm telling you no-one approached me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
its stupid because the adapter slows it down. there are cables with both ends to them so you don't need an adapter.
I don't think you understood my post too well. If you remove the HDCP Copyright protection and the Digital Sound Signal carried by HDMI, it become electrically identical to DVI. There is ZERO conversion from HDMI to DVI.

Not to mention the idea of "slowing down" doesn't affect the parameters of the test. All the matters in the test is a pixel for pixel comparison. The test concluded that every pixel going in the cable was identical to every pixel going out the cable.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:07 PM
  #83
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
It has to be different from BB to BB because I'm telling you no-one approached me.



I don't think you understood my post too well. If you remove the HDCP Copyright protection and the Digital Sound Signal carried by HDMI, it become electrically identical to DVI. There is ZERO conversion from HDMI to DVI.

Not to mention the idea of "slowing down" doesn't affect the parameters of the test. All the matters in the test is a pixel for pixel comparison. The test concluded that every pixel going in the cable was identical to every pixel going out the cable.
I know it is an identical signal, but putting it through an adapter is still bad. You are more likely to get motion blur by doing that, not to mention its more expensive.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:43 PM
  #84
Smelling Salt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Motion blur? Oh man FOTS you are priceless.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
  #85
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I know it is an identical signal, but putting it through an adapter is still bad. You are more likely to get motion blur by doing that, not to mention its more expensive.
That doesn't even make sense not to mention it is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to the validity of the test.

Converters are perfectly fine, how the hell do you think Home Theater Personal Computers have gained popularity, given your statement.

The majority of video cards do not even have HDMI output but most come with DVI -> HDMI connectors, there is no evidence of your claim.

Lastly expense? Are you kidding me you can find one online for $5-10.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
  #86
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I know it is an identical signal, but putting it through an adapter is still bad. You are more likely to get motion blur by doing that, not to mention its more expensive.
Epic.

You probably believe those color calibration displays BB puts up are legit too.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:02 PM
  #87
StatesideSensFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 621
vCash: 626
haha i notice the calibration display at my local BB had the ol ESPN vs. ESPNHD trick.

of course, i did still end up buying a tv from them, but not the calibration service.

StatesideSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.