HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Sbisa has been reassigned (Feb. 2, 2009 -- post #176 with quotes)

Old
02-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Get Carter

vCash: 500
Sbisa reassigned.

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page
Quote:

The Philadelphia Flyers announced on today that they have reassigned defenseman Luca Sbisa to the Lethbridge Hurricanes of the Western Hockey League, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren.

"We feel that it is in the best interest of Luca and the Flyers organization that he gets back to playing on a regular basis," said Holmgren in making the announcement. "Luca will join Lethbridge for its game in Portland, Oregon on Wednesday."
http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...LPage&id=18891
Quote:

Flyers defenseman Luca Sbisa was reassigned to his junior club today, the Lethbridge Hurricanes. Sbisa spoke with On The Fly regarding the announcement by the club earlier this afternoon.

Q: What is your reaction being sent back to juniors?
Sbisa: “Obviously, I am disappointed. I kind of had a feeling that it may happen. I did not play for a long time, so you start to think that something might be up. They told me this morning. I was kind of disappointed, but now I know where I am going to play. It’s just another step to playing in the NHL. I am going to back to Lethbridge and help the team out. I am really looking forward to playing a lot of minutes there, play the power play, [penalty kill] and the last minutes of a game. I kind of missed that stuff. This is just another experience that I have to go through. I am disappointed, but I am looking forward to getting a lot of playing time.”

Q: Talk about your time playing for the Flyers. How was the experience?
Sbisa: “It was a great experience. I played 39 games here and it was just amazing and the locker room was just filled with great guys here. A lot of stuff happened in a short amount of time. I played my first couple of NHL games and I thought it went pretty well. I had a very good start this season and made the team out of training camp. I played pretty good. But, when all the injured guys coming I got less and less ice time. I tried to get back into the lineup, but we have a very good team here. I just didn’t play much. But it was a great, great time and a great experience playing in my first couple of NHL games. I would never had expected to play at 18 years old in the NHL.”

Q: Obviously the experience you got on the NHL level is going to help you back in juniors.
Sbisa: “Oh, yes. I have almost 40 games in my pocket at the NHL level. I just want to show what I learned up here, down there. I am sure it will help my game in juniors. I will take a lot of responsibility down there to Lethrbridge and try to go as far as we can in the playoffs.”
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...280&feedID=695
Quote:

The big question is, how will Sbisa handle this demotion given it comes late into the season.

“I spent a lot of time over the past month or so preparing him for this,” Holmgren admitted, “even though I didn’t know a date in my own mind if this was the direction we wanted to go. He’s aware of the thought process. He knows he needs to play.

“When I talked to him today, he seemed OK. I talked to him about having the right attitude and told him this would only work if he had the right attitude. He had a big smile on his face and he said, ‘I know and I want to play.’ ”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-02-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:33 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
This kinda sucks but, it's about damn time. Sitting in the press box was doing the kid no good.

Thanks for the link btw.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Snotbubbles

Long overdue, sitting in the press box is such a waste for this kid.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I just got the text message. It is definitely time. It was time 2 months ago.

From Eklund ...
Quote:
Interesting twist here...Not yet sure why the Flyers made this move...
Does he follow hockey at all? Interesting twist? How is it remotely a twist?

Last edited by DeadPhish5858: 02-02-2009 at 02:09 PM.
DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

About ****ing time.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post

From Eklund ...

Follow it? I'm sure he does, he just doesn't actually understand it at all.

Anyway, it's about time.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:37 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Ek is a ****ing idiot. That text was probably from a friend who reads the flyers website.

Old
02-02-2009, 02:43 PM
chaosof99*

Lethbridge is currently sitting 7th in the Eastern Conference of the WHL with a record of 26-23-3-2 (W-L-OTL-SOL), 57 points and even with 6th place Kootenay who have one game less played. The hurricanes got 18 games left to go. Their next is against league-last Portland on Wednesday.

Let's see how Luca will be doing back in the WHL. He was a great replacement for the injuries at the beginning of the team. I expect him to make the team next training camp. He definitely needs some more experience and gain some weight and he will definitely do that playing 20 minutes a night the WHL rather than sitting in the press box in the NHL.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:00 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Lethbridge is currently sitting 7th in the Eastern Conference of the WHL with a record of 26-23-3-2 (W-L-OTL-SOL), 57 points and even with 6th place Kootenay who have one game less played. The hurricanes got 18 games left to go. Their next is against league-last Portland on Wednesday.

Let's see how Luca will be doing back in the WHL. He was a great replacement for the injuries at the beginning of the team. I expect him to make the team next training camp. He definitely needs some more experience and gain some weight and he will definitely do that playing 20 minutes a night the WHL rather than sitting in the press box in the NHL.
I agree...but he shouldnt have been here to begin with in my opinion. If this bonehead coach would just play Kukkonen we wouldnt have had all these cap problems.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
About time.

Quote:

From Eklund ...

What a joke.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Wow. Terrible asset management.

I'm glad he's been sent back to Lethbridge but, as noted by several others, this should have been done a long time ago.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
turkinaa

Finally, kid needs to play and not be a healthy scratch.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:03 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

It's about damn time. Although I have no idea what the hell the Flyers were thinking, sitting him for the better part of a month and then sending him back. Just stupid.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:10 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:

From Eklund ...

The only thing I can think of is he thought that because Sbisa played in the last game that there is a reason besides the obvious...

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Unstable

Hope he has a great time down there - big fish in a small pond and all that.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:46 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Sweet, maybe I can get tickets to the Portland game.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 06:19 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
Sweet, maybe I can get tickets to the Portland game.
Shouldn't be that hard. Attendance isn't exactly breaking any records around here. And just a head's up, the Hawks just raised ticket prices. The cheap seats are now $14.25 (if you pay cash, $14.75 with a card). Not sure what they're thinking raising prices in the middle of another losing season AND a 10 (11 now?) game losing streak. Anyway, have fun if you go. I'll be working that night.

p.s. at least Luca gets to return to the WHL for what should be an almost automatic win.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Joey Mac

Finally, Homer smartened up and did what was best for Sbisa... He needs to move either Alberts, Jones, or both and bring Parent up to the big club

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 06:49 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Instead of whining and moaning about how the Flyers waited so long to send Sbisa back to junior, how about every be excited that the Flyers have yet another prospect who looks like he's going to be a gamer for us for years to come. The guy played with the big boys and he more than handled his own. Now, he's being sent back to junior to play. Maybe the fact that it took so long for the Flyers to send him back was a sign that Sbisa maybe more than earned the right to stay and maybe, just maybe they were looking for another option besides sending Sbisa back to get him some playing time.......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 07:13 AM
kicksave27

So they can't bring him back up again this year?

Assuming jones is traded, give you kuks as your 7th d, and you know the flyers are going to loose at least 2 dmen in the playoffs. I'm assuming his Jr season will be over by the time the NHL playoffs start.

As good as the flyers are now, they are going to be that much better in the next 2 or 3 years with JVR and giroux coming into their own, and their young D maturing.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Instead of whining and moaning about how the Flyers waited so long to send Sbisa back to junior, how about every be excited that the Flyers have yet another prospect who looks like he's going to be a gamer for us for years to come. The guy played with the big boys and he more than handled his own. Now, he's being sent back to junior to play. Maybe the fact that it took so long for the Flyers to send him back was a sign that Sbisa maybe more than earned the right to stay and maybe, just maybe they were looking for another option besides sending Sbisa back to get him some playing time.......
Like dumping Jones' worthless overpaid ass? Ahh, one can always dream...

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post

Assuming jones is traded, give you kuks as your 7th d, and you know the flyers are going to loose at least 2 dmen in the playoffs. I'm assuming his Jr season will be over by the time the NHL playoffs start.

As good as the flyers are now, they are going to be that much better in the next 2 or 3 years with JVR and giroux coming into their own, and their young D maturing.
They can bring him back once his season in the WHL is over.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 08:20 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post

I understand what your saying. But can you explain where I made bold? I'm not quite sure what you mean, loose two dmen in the playoffs.

Old
02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
bodangleroo28

Injury's

bodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 08:49 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm with you, I just read through a lot of this thread, and all it is is complaining, I don't understand it. I mean did Holmgren mishandle Sbisa? Possibly, but we can't judge that for another 3-4 years when he fully develops. For now, we have a 19 year old offensive-minded defensiveman prospect, who already has a half a season under his belt at the NHL level. Not many teams can say that.

And like you said, there could be something behind all this press box mess. Maybe, like you said, they were actually tying to trade Jones (god that would be sweet), but were unsuccessful in doing so, so Sbisa was finally sent down so he could get playing time.

Regardless of what happened with Sbisa this year, Holmgren did a great job of turning Umberger into a pick, and while he may have been aiming for Pikard, Sbisa has certainly showed why he is a 1st round pick, and that he can actually play in the NHL...At 18 years old.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote