HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trading from a position of stregnth

Old
02-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Habman

vCash: 500
Trading from a position of stregnth

Hey guys and Gals

The last few years i have become more and more frustrated with trading and I think the habs have made one mistake. The last few years we have had good seasons and at points in each year have been great. Even when we are great we all know what the teams weaknesses are, so I am assuming so do the coaches and BG.
I have always felt that when they are playing well is the time to trade because they are not desperate. I think we should have traded when we were on our ;ast hot streak. I mean lets say we BG is interested in Vinny....... I think the price just went up with the loss of Lang by quite a bit because they know we are desperate. I am not one to trade just to trade but what are your guys thoughts about the timing of trades. Trading when winning rather than trading when cold...

My opinion is that it is the perfect time for the Boston Bruins to make a trade for example, they are playing great and people know they are not desperate?

Thoughts

Habman

Habman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
You're usually trading in order to fill a need. When you're winning on a consistent basis (I.E. like the Bruins have been doing as of late), you don't have any glaring need. Making a trade and disrupting the locker room's chemistry can come back and bite you hard on the ass.

Dutchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Habman

Yeah I understand that. but every team has areas they can be better, I am just saying that trading when you are playing poorly like we are right now is not easy to make a fair trade, I dont think. Maybe Boston is a bad example becasue they have only lost 8 games but say Montreal when they are playing well, trading then when weakness are obvious is a better move than waiting when we are losing and people will gouge us..

Habman

Old
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
BJG

Why, when they are crushing the conference (13 points ahead of #2 Devils and 16 points ahead of the Habs), would the Bruins make any moves? Where do they need to improve? In net, with their league-leading in save % goalie? With their league-leading balance scoring, or their physical, stifling defence? Just curious.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Bullsmith

The new CBA has managed to pretty much kill off major trades during the season, with the exception of deadline rental deals for players heading for UFA. Other than the Richards trade, which was indeed pretty major, what other big moves have there been in the last few years that happened during the season? Nothing against Craig Rivet, but he's not exactly a franchise player and yet his trade was far and away the biggest deal we've made in-season.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Habman

I already said Boston was a bad example

do you think it is better for Montreal to trade when playing well rather than poorly.

habman

Old
02-03-2009, 10:18 AM
couz

People praise BG for his patience but at times patience backfires, this is true in many aspects of life.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habman View Post
Yeah I understand that. but every team has areas they can be better, I am just saying that trading when you are playing poorly like we are right now is not easy to make a fair trade, I dont think. Maybe Boston is a bad example becasue they have only lost 8 games but say Montreal when they are playing well, trading then when weakness are obvious is a better move than waiting when we are losing and people will gouge us..

Habman
I see what you mean Habman, but I agree with Dutchy. When things are going well, the last thing you want to do is mess with the teams chemistry.

Also injuries happen, there was no way for Gainey to predict that we would be hit this hard.

Without the injuries we have a very solid team. That just needed a few tweaks here and there.

02-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Habman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I see what you mean Habman, but I agree with Dutchy. When things are going well, the last thing you want to do is mess with the teams chemistry.

Also injuries happen, there was no way for Gainey to predict that we would be hit this hard.
Thanks for the input guys, I think I am just frustrated because 2 weeks ago this team was playing great but we all knew the weakness that had to be filled now those weaknesses are exposed more with untimely injuries and I FEEL it is going to be much harder to fill them now and not get gutted

Habman

Old
02-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Hey guys and Gals

The last few years i have become more and more frustrated with trading and I think the habs have made one mistake. The last few years we have had good seasons and at points in each year have been great. Even when we are great we all know what the teams weaknesses are, so I am assuming so do the coaches and BG.
I have always felt that when they are playing well is the time to trade because they are not desperate. I think we should have traded when we were on our ;ast hot streak. I mean lets say we BG is interested in Vinny....... I think the price just went up with the loss of Lang by quite a bit because they know we are desperate. I am not one to trade just to trade but what are your guys thoughts about the timing of trades. Trading when winning rather than trading when cold...

My opinion is that it is the perfect time for the Boston Bruins to make a trade for example, they are playing great and people know they are not desperate?

Thoughts

Habman
First off, we had 1 good seasons in the past few years, last season. Other than that, we haven't been that good.

Second, we don't know what when on with the Vinny situation.

Third of all, you don't trade for the fun of it, you do it to fill up a need. Can you tell me the need the Bruins, or Sharks for that matter, have right now?..

Finally, if we look at the teams that went after the big names these past years, they weren't desperate. Pittsburgh and Dallas were part of the best teams.

BG would also put an ''X'' on this season before selling out the farm, because he knows it wouldn't help us long term, which is more important.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:29 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Hey guys and Gals

Thoughts

Habman
it takes a great GM to do what you are saying.I agree with u though.Almost every Cup winnner adds a piece at deadline.Your way its cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
First off, we had 1 good seasons in the past few years, last season. Other than that, we haven't been that good.

Second, we don't know what when on with the Vinny situation.

Third of all, you don't trade for the fun of it, you do it to fill up a need. Can you tell me the need the Bruins, or Sharks for that matter, have right now?..

Finally, if we look at the teams that went after the big names these past years, they weren't desperate. Pittsburgh and Dallas were part of the best teams.

BG would also put an ''X'' on this season before selling out the farm, because he knows it wouldn't help us long term, which is more important.
i can,,, a replacement for Marco Sturms production for one and or a top 3 d man to help with puck movement which is always harder in playoffs.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-03-2009 at 12:15 PM.
22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:32 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
You're usually trading in order to fill a need. When you're winning on a consistent basis (I.E. like the Bruins have been doing as of late), you don't have any glaring need. Making a trade and disrupting the locker room's chemistry can come back and bite you hard on the ass.
Exactly....

example: Sundin

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote