Notices

Brunnstrom Question

Old
01-30-2009, 12:31 PM
James Mirtle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Point taken, not agreed with, but I appreciate the reply.

To expand upon the idea Brunnstrom has a two-way contract, which he does, therefore it cannot be called a conditioning assignment by rule, that doesn't mean that isn't precisely why he was sent down. Both Tippett and Jackson have indicated it as such. He was not sent down for poor play; he would have been sent down earlier in the season if that was the case. That's the point.
I was trying to point out why the team is not calling it a conditioning stint, and why I'd missed the fact that he'd be recalled right away. Often I post before the local press does and that information wasn't yet available.

As soon as it was, I updated the post.

James Mirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Chad_

Out of curiosity and because you mentioned you checking the local press (went by TDMN blog that you have linked) and that the information was not available yet, I checked some time stamps.

You posted your content at 2:33 p.m., the exact same time the Dallas Stars organization posted the press release on the Internet regarding Brunnstrom. Heika posted information on Brunnstrom, including the fact it was a conditioning stint, at 1:48 p.m. It was posted at Andrew's Dallas Stars Page, another Stars blog you have linked, at 1:55 p.m. All times central.

It's certainly a legitimate defense that you didn't see any other information regarding the 'demotion,' but to claim that it "wasn't yet available" isn't accurate.

I don't wish to split teeth with you or be unfair, but it really irked me when you piled on Brunnstrom for what you thought was a demotion because it was known around here why he was getting sent down at least two days prior. As I wrote previously, I expected better from you, at least on topics not related to Nashville, Pheonix or the Florida teams. I guess I have to add Brunnstrom to the list. And that is disappointing.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 02:46 PM
James Mirtle

You're right, I've got my time zones mixed up. My bad.

He was demoted, that's not inaccurate. And his numbers are horrible, too. Whether or not he turns out to be a bust, we'll see. I've certainly heard that's not the case from enough Stars fans.

When you try to call it as you see it, across the entire league, you're going to be wrong sometimes. And I disagree that I'm ever unfair to Nashville, Phoenix or Florida... I'm going to Nashville for some games and meet fans in a few weeks.

Old
01-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
You're right, I've got my time zones mixed up. My bad.

He was demoted, that's not inaccurate. And his numbers are horrible, too. Whether or not he turns out to be a bust, we'll see. I've certainly heard that's not the case from enough Stars fans.

When you try to call it as you see it, across the entire league, you're going to be wrong sometimes. And I disagree that I'm ever unfair to Nashville, Phoenix or Florida... I'm going to Nashville for some games and meet fans in a few weeks.
His numbers do not reflect his abilities. They reflect the team as a whole. Stats are the most misleading criteria in sports. Unfortunately for people who don't watch a team as much as the fan base that is all they have to go off of.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Chad_

Quote:

But what was inaccurate was the reason for the 'demotion,' that's all. As I have written, I felt that was unfair and saw it as piling on the guy when there was no need to do so. And you've displayed his numbers aren't good in the Stars own end, be it through that specific post or more comprehensive, league-wide numbers. Those are the statistics that I've come to enjoy over the years.

Again, I'll defer the bust tag until a later date, and whether or not he's playing well is just an opinion. I wouldn't expect Stars fans to consider his play subpar though.

Lastly, once again I do appreciate the reply and the small back and forth.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Yeah, thanks for explaining your post here, even if we disagree.

Here's another stat I've brought up before on Brunnstrom: Only Eriksson has a higher goal-per-minutes-played ratio on the Stars with 1 per 35.7 minutes. Brunnstrom scores every 40.5 minutes.

I don't think there's much question that Brunnstrom was one of the Stars' better players before he got hurt.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
But what was inaccurate was the reason for the 'demotion,' that's all. As I have written, I felt that was unfair and saw it as piling on the guy when there was no need to do so. And you've displayed his numbers aren't good in the Stars own end, be it through that specific post or more comprehensive, league-wide numbers. Those are the statistics that I've come to enjoy over the years.

Again, I'll defer the bust tag until a later date, and whether or not he's playing well is just an opinion. I wouldn't expect Stars fans to consider his play subpar though.

Lastly, once again I do appreciate the reply and the small back and forth.
Ill defer to Stamkos..he was hyped up so much and had so much pressure to perform that he has been nothing more than a disappointment. In 46 games he has 6 goals and 13 assists and is a -6. In addition Stamkos is averaging more ice time than Brunnstrom. Would i call Stamkos a bust? No! What i am saying is that the transition to the NHL is a lot different that the AHl,WHL,CHL or Euro leagues. Some have the ability to transition right away and some take an extra season.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
Ill defer to Stamkos..he was hyped up so much and had so much pressure to perform that he has been nothing more than a disappointment. In 46 games he has 6 goals and 13 assists and is a -6. In addition Stamkos is averaging more ice time than Brunnstrom. Would i call Stamkos a bust? No! What i am saying is that the transition to the NHL is a lot different that the AHl,WHL,CHL or Euro leagues. Some have the ability to transition right away and some take an extra season.
That is not an accurate analogy, at all, given the massive disparity in their ages. Stamkos is 18; Brunnstrom is what, nearly 24 or 25? Rarely do 18 year old players thrive in the NHL; actually, that Stamkos is in the league at all given his age is an accomplishment in and of itself, period.

Transition between leagues is not an issue with Stamkos, again, given his age, though it may be with Brunnstrom.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Brunnstrom is 23, turning 24 in about a week.

I wouldn't call him one of the Stars best players before he got hurt. One of their better scorers totally, but not one of the best players.

But it's hard to judge his stats this season. Yeah, he hasn't been great defensively. But neither has, well, the defense or the goaltending.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 06:43 PM
James Mirtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I don't think there's much question that Brunnstrom was one of the Stars' better players before he got hurt.
Cripes, I really do need to watch the Stars play more ...

Old
01-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Hey James don't take the criticism too harshly. I wouldn't have watched Stars games earlier this year either if they weren't "my team."

As for Brunnstrom. Early in the season he just wasn't sure where to go or which guy he was supposed to pick up or if he did he wasn't very good at actually picking him up. I have no idea how big a transition it is from Sweeden but he did not look comfortable defensively. Marty Turco's league worst save percentage and a defense that couldn't find good coverage with Jesus riding shotgun was a bad combination. After a couple of games Tippet became really gun shy. Brunnstom was averaging like 7 minutes a game and there was one game where he had one shift and 1:15 of ice time. After Avery got the boot and injuries, Tippet had no choice but to play him. He got better. He worked harder at back checking and his linemates changed. His all around game just seemed to improve and his creativity began to show.

He's not a mini Jere Lehtinen, (that's Loui Eriksson) but he's got the best set of hands on this team not named Ribeiro or Richards. If paired with either of them over a season he's got 60+ point potential. He could eventually become a 30 goal scorer, because he seems pretty darn good at elevating the puck in tight.

He probably won't hit very many bonuses and will earn somewhere around 1 million dollars. He's worth every penny and will be worth more next season.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:08 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Cripes, I really do need to watch the Stars play more ...
Quote from Les Jackson

Quote:
“He just needs to get some ice time, prior to his injury here he was one of our top guys,” said Jackson, noting the plan is to have Brunnstrom play two games before returning to the parent club. “This period in Manitoba will give him a start to getting back up to game shape quicker than he would with us starting out. He’s a great kid and he’ll get treated good. He’ll come back more game-ready and with a real appreciation of what he has here.”

When asked about Brunnstrom’s strengths, Jackson rattled off a lengthy list of attributes.

“He’s big, he can skate and he’s got great hands,” said Jackson. “Like a lot of players who come from the (Swedish) environment, he thinks (pass) before shot and we’re trying to balance that off for him. He’s not afraid to get to the net, he’s a big man who is hard for defenders to match up against 1-on-1.

“He does a lot of good things. It’s just a matter of time. He’s going to be a guy who really does well.”
Just so you don't think that it is only a bunch of die hard fans with that opinion.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho...85946-sun.html

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:15 AM
________

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
LW Fabian Brunnstrom (flu) was unable to go, but is expected to be re-assigned to the parent Dallas Stars and will rejoin the team in Columbus, Ohio. later today
Winnipeg Sun

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:18 PM
haf

I think the thing with Brunnstrom was that the team was an awful mess at the beginning of the season. He was able to show individual flashes of top level skill but our team was just completely out of sync. We still aren't really sure how he will fit into the system and create from within it. But we are about to find out.

Last edited by haf: 02-02-2009 at 12:27 PM.
haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:39 PM
map94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
He probably won't hit very many bonuses and will earn somewhere around 1 million dollars. He's worth every penny and will be worth more next season.
You are absolutely right here. He's currently only on pace for one of the minimum targets listed in the CBA for the A bonuses, goals (20, he has 10). In all the other A bonus categories he's not even close to being on pace for earning any of them. The B bonuses are pretty much impossible to earn at this point too, in my opinion. Unless he has a big, big turnaround he'll be lucky to earn any bonus money.

Bonus minimums:
http://www.nhlscap.com/Exhibit5.htm

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote