HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryder Rejects his Qualifying Offer...

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2004, 04:25 PM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Ryder Rejects his Qualifying Offer...

Are you guys surprised? Does he have any bargaining power? BG says they want to sign Souray and then he will look at the Ryder situation... Is this just Ryder's agent trying to get his client a similar contract to what Ribs signed?

Old
08-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
It's no big deal for me.

Dont know what is the $ on the qualifying offer but it was probably small.
I read Gainey comments in the newspapers and he said he would look at Ryder case a bit later, From those comments I think Gainey was not waiting for any other kind of answer from Ryder camp anyways...

Old
08-11-2004, 04:37 PM
velimiiro

Its no surprise he rejected it... he deserves way more.

Old
08-11-2004, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velimiiro
Its no surprise he rejected it... he deserves way more.
I wouldn't say way more, but a bit more than the mandatory 10% raise is understandable

Old
08-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Traitor8

what was he making last year? let's find out what he was offered by Gainey then..

Old
08-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Patty Roy

Well Trent Hunter took his qualifying offer in New York (a 10% raise on 500k i believe). So if Gainey is looking for a comparable case, there's one.

I'd like to sign Ryder to a "fair" contract in the range of 750k for 1 year and make him prove last year wasn't a fluke (for the record i don't think it was, but his season did kind of come out from nowhere...). If he builds on his rookie campaign then reward him with a lucrative multi-year deal.

Old
08-11-2004, 05:15 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
what was he making last year? let's find out what he was offered by Gainey then..
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...er&player=1031

$605 000

Old
08-11-2004, 05:21 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
something i dont understand... why they gave 1,24 million to Kostitsyn and offer less to ryder who played for the habs last season and was close to be rookie of the year???

Old
08-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX
something i dont understand... why they gave 1,24 million to Kostitsyn and offer less to ryder who played for the habs last season and was close to be rookie of the year???
Kostitsyn's is most likely two way, which means he'll actually be earning peanuts next year (unless he impresses enough to earn a full-time spot, then the money is deservedly his).

Old
08-11-2004, 05:31 PM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX
Blame the system, the agents, the NHLPA, and the draft re-entry rule... add in the factor that a good player can pull in very good money in russia and especially in switzerland and prospects (especially 1st rounders with high-end potential) have lots of bargaining weight.

Personally, i'm with you. Pay every prospect a 500K/yr deal for 2 years and then sign them to a longer higher-paying deal... it's too much too early.

The reason teams can do this is this... how often does a player play his first three full years under contract all in the NHL? Almost never... it's a sham for the kids: they think they've got all this money, but they can't break the nhl at age 20, so they muck in the minors for a few years. By the time the 3yr rookie deal is up, the table has turned generally in the GMs favor... the kid hasn't broken in yet and can't ask for the same cash as a 1st rounder who has broken out. They sign another 2-3yr deal for less money and break into the nhl... this is why you see rfa holdouts from guys in the mid-20s who have been productively scoring since the year AFTER the rookie contract was over...

Any prospect who breaks this mold is obviously worth the cash, so who cares if you pay a 20yr old kid 1mil to pot 20goals while playing the 3rd line...

This also allows teams to cut their losses on a kid who doesn't develop because they have only had to pay out AHL money for maybe a year or two...

the term of the contract definitely suits the teams.

Old
08-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Koivu2001

and also Kotsy was a 1st rounder

Old
08-11-2004, 05:36 PM
EaGLE1

I would like Ryder to accept a 1year/1M $. After that year, we sign a multi-year depending on how good he really is.

Old
08-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Ryder's qualifier was 665K. No surprise he didn't accept it after the season he got (Hunter to me is the surprise, he had the leverage to get more IMO). But that doesn't mean Michael is looking for the jackpot. He probably wants a small raise, just around 1M would be fine. He deserves it, and if there's a player you know is not a one-year-wonder, it's Ryder. One of the most consistent rookie I ever saw, effort and production wise.

Closed Thread