HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Spezza to L.A

Old
02-03-2009, 10:03 AM
sgupca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiensfan1909 View Post
Rumors r starting to fly around the league the one I'm hearing now is spezza to LA which would prolly include a package going back to Ottawa that would prolly look sumthing like

To LAK: spezza, 6th

To OTT: frolov, defensive prospect maybe hickey, 1st
source?

and don't say Eklund

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwikWit View Post
The problem with this line of thinking as the Senators have learned is that if you wait too long you will start to lose your young talent to free agency (both restricted and unrestricted). What makes this even more difficult for LA is that they don't spend to the cap so their purchasing power is more limited than other teams. Remember that you have 5 RFA's and 5 UFA's next year and they either need to be signed or replaced with someone else. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that everyone can't be signed for 09/10 but it is only going to get more and more difficult with each passing year. Eventually your team will plateau (2-3 years), there will be alot of salary pressure to pay your young stars and at some point you're going to have to decide when it is time to make your run. Lombardi may have decided that this may be the time and he is ramping up for some kind of a run in 2010/11, 2011/12. Finally for those of you that then say well wait until next year (or the year after) to make your move...Spezza is available now and won't be available then. You would be passing up on a very high talent because...well why exactly...?
That's why he's signing his youth to long-term deals, and at the same time will probably move his pricey UFA's(Preissing). Why pass on Spezza? The same reason your logic dictates: An expensive signing. Not only that, but he's a center. The Kings need an elite left wing/sniper.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:12 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
ALL OF THIS absolutely flies in the face of what Lombardi has been doing. For him to make a deal like this is telling L.A. fans is that his patient approach and let our young guys develop into a contender was all a load of BS.

I just don't see Lombardi making a deal like this. He definitely isn't being pressured by ownership to compete now because AEG could really care less.

You may get one solid prospect and some picks....but guys like O'Sullivan, Johnson, etc...just are not going anywhere...and any rumor-monger who insinuates otherwise is full ot it.
I think the original proposal was decent. Frolov who's older than Spezza, plus a 1st is a great deal.

Now i hate the sens, so i'm not making an argument in their case, but if I was LA i'd do Frolov + pick + prospect for Spezza any day.

Imagin

O'Sullivan - Kopitar - Purcell
Calder - Spezza - Brown

pretty high flying lines, if you ask me.

Old
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
That's why he's signing his youth to long-term deals, and at the same time will probably move his pricey UFA's(Preissing). Why pass on Spezza? The same reason your logic dictates: An expensive signing. Not only that, but he's a center. The Kings need an elite left wing/sniper.
A sniper, sure,,,everyone needs a sniper,,,,but those are harder to get and will cost a lot more.

Spezza + Brown would make a deadly combo for years to come.

btw - how long of a contract is Brown locked into?

Old
02-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Kingler

A 1-2 punch with Spezza and Kopitar would be awesome but then the Kings would have Stoll at 3.6M and Handzus at 4M playing 3rd and 4th line center. Not to mention Kopitar 6.8M and Spezza 7M. It would be just way too much money commit to centers.

If Spezza does come over then IMO Stoll or Handzus would be going the other way. Since Stoll just signed, it should then be Handzus. But IMO Ottawa don't want to take that salary.

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Zal

A sniper, sure,,,everyone needs a sniper,,,,but those are harder to get and will cost a lot more. Many teams have a solid sniper(Ottawa, Atlanta, Detroit, San Jose, Boston, on and on..

Spezza + Brown does make a deadly combo for years to come. They seem to think that with Kopitar, but we'll see. My point is, and I believe Kings management and fans believe the need at wing is greater than that of at center. So, why should we give Frolov+ up for a center when we can trade for a sniper? There's just no logic in it.

btw - how long of a contract is Brown locked into? On October 26, 2007, the Kings and Brown agreed to a six-year, $19.05 million contract extension that will keep him with the team until the 2014–2015 NHL season

Last edited by Zal: 02-03-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Spezza plays no defense. Yet another player who is overrated by fans who don't take defensive hockey into account. I thought hockey was Canada's game. You would think their fans would understand the concept of a player actually trying to play defense when they evaluate his worth.

Although i on the other hand am not surprised that another ill informed american fan is spewing innacurate nonsense about a player he clearly knows very little about.
You are right about one thing, it is canada's game.

Spezza's defence is good. Feel free to watch a game, they must be on before you get home from middle school.
He's not having a particularly great year, like the rest of the team - but there's no need just to make stuff up.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
Although i on the other hand am not surprised that another ill informed american fan is spewing innacurate nonsense about a player he clearly knows very little about.
You are right about one thing, it is canada's game.

Spezza's defence is good. Feel free to watch a game, they must be on before you get home from middle school.
He's not having a particularly great year, like the rest of the team - but there's no need just to make stuff up.
I'm pretty sure that guy is a Leafs fan. He's not a Kings fan that's for sure.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote