HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official Evgeny Grachev Thread *Highlights*

Old
02-03-2009, 10:50 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
I've been telling you guys for months that he is a legit, blue chip FIRST LINE prospect in the same class with anyone who was drafted in the top 10 in last year's draft. NOW do you believe me?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I've been telling you guys for months that he is a legit, blue chip FIRST LINE prospect in the same class with anyone who was drafted in the top 10 in last year's draft. NOW do you believe me?
Nope.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Nope.
Me neither.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Salvage21

Appreciate the info-thanks, Nyr2k2 and Squishy.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
I'm pretty sure he's been playing on Hodgson's left wing for most of the season. I could be wrong but I think he only played center in the very beginning of the season when the Battalion were horrible and then when Hodgson left early for WJ Canada camp. Oh, and he played center a couple games into the world juniors himself when Filatov felt uncomfortable there..
So, haha.. yeah, I'm just hoping they keep him at left wing!
I've seen them a couple of times and then he was a LW on Duschenes line. I actually don't think he have played center all season, Renney or Clarke made some comments about them beeing forced to decide wheter to turn him into a winger or center at some rookie camp. I guess the CHL teams do what the NHL teams want to a certain extent.

Anyway I think its a great call.

I love Grachev, I think he got all the potential in the world, almost. He isn't the 2nd comming of Malkin. And at center and 6'5, you almost got to be that good. Heck even Vinny LeCav is struggling. He is among the best in the world in teh attackingzone. But if you get the puck deep on him, he isn't the threat off the rush as a Malkin or Crosby. These days so many centers in the East are able to do just that. Everyone from Booth to Betts basically from time to time.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I've seen them a couple of times and then he was a LW on Duschenes line. I actually don't think he have played center all season, Renney or Clarke made some comments about them beeing forced to decide wheter to turn him into a winger or center at some rookie camp. I guess the CHL teams do what the NHL teams want to a certain extent.

Anyway I think its a great call.

I love Grachev, I think he got all the potential in the world, almost. He isn't the 2nd comming of Malkin. And at center and 6'5, you almost got to be that good. Heck even Vinny LeCav is struggling. He is among the best in the world in teh attackingzone. But if you get the puck deep on him, he isn't the threat off the rush as a Malkin or Crosby. These days so many centers in the East are able to do just that. Everyone from Booth to Betts basically from time to time.

Yeah, I think that the organization that drafts a player gives a rough outline of what they expect his development to look like and encourage certain weight training programs/on ice assignments. I believe I read/heard somewhere that Renny and Clarke were trying to encourage the Battallion staff to get Grachev shooting the puck more- Don't quote me on that because I really cannot think of where I heard it- it may verywell been during the WJ's or even on these boards.
I see what you're saying about the center position.. and it's funny that you say "he's not the second coming of malkin" because in his own blog he says that he models his game after Malkin. I don't think he'll turn into a Malkin parsay, but I think he has all the tools to become a very successful power forward Ala Todd Bertuzzi.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:24 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
You are a legend for finding and posting those minute marks!
No problem... Once I started watching highlights on YouTube I started posting the links on another Ranger forum and figured I'd just post them here since there's a lot of interested fans....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 02-03-2009 at 05:41 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I
I love Grachev, I think he got all the potential in the world, almost. He isn't the 2nd comming of Malkin. And at center and 6'5, you almost got to be that good.

Battalion website has him at 6'3" 212

Ranger website has him at 6'3" 202
(Edit: someone should email the Rangers and notify them that Grachev is a lefty)
http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app?page...4&service=page

Although since he's only turning 19 in a few weeks, it's not out of the question that he finishes fiilling out at 6'4 - 6'5 and 225....

Old
02-03-2009, 05:31 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
Yeah, I think that the organization that drafts a player gives a rough outline of what they expect his development to look like and encourage certain weight training programs/on ice assignments. I believe I read/heard somewhere that Renny and Clarke were trying to encourage the Battallion staff to get Grachev shooting the puck more- Don't quote me on that because I really cannot think of where I heard it- it may verywell been during the WJ's or even on these boards.
I see what you're saying about the center position.. and it's funny that you say "he's not the second coming of malkin" because in his own blog he says that he models his game after Malkin. I don't think he'll turn into a Malkin parsay, but I think he has all the tools to become a very successful power forward Ala Todd Bertuzzi.
He doesn't have the meanness of Bertuzzi. But, watching those clips, he does remind me of Rick Nash...big man with deceptive speed and great hands.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Depends... If your basis for saying that was just being an overly optimistic Ranger fan, that's one thing...

However if you had seen him play on multiple occasions prior to this and were basing your opinion on what you saw with your own eyes, that's another thing....

Which was it? (Be Honest )

Old
02-03-2009, 06:03 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/

Quote:
The Dean Prentice Prospect of the Month

Evgeny Grachev got his 2009 off to a very impressive start as the Ranger's 2008 3rd round pick put up excellent numbers for the month of January. In a total of 14 games, Grachev was 10-13-23 for the month.,

In 3 games with Team Russia during the medal round of the World Under-20 Championships, Grachev was 2-2-4. Upon returning to Brampton of the OHL Grachev got even better as he was 8-11-19 +16 in 11 games.

It was a month where Grachev simply got better and better as the month wore on. Even more impressive was that Grachev had points in 13 straight games with just the last game of the month as the only one where Grachev failed to record any points.

You want more perhaps? How about that Grachev had just one game where he was a "minus", 4 games where Grachev had 3 points and a 4 game goal scoring streak. It was also a month where Grachev had 3 First Stars, 1 Second Star, and 2 Third Stars.

Oh and Grachev was also named to play in the OHL All-Star Game but if you want to find a reason to knock Grachev then it will be that he only had one game winning goal. Other than that there is nothing but positives about Grachev's efforts.

Other players who earned consideration were Michael Del Zotto of the London Knights (4-9-13) and Max Campbell of Western Michigan (5-1-6).

----------------------------------------------

But now we are in the month of February and Evgeny Grachev is starting a new streak. Grachev scored his prospect leading 28th goal of the season as his Brampton Battalion won their 10th straight game 6-3 over the Sudbury Wolves.

Grachev's goal was all him as Grachev forced a turnover, took the puck up ice and using his backhand to score what proved to be the game winner at 16:40 of the second period. Grachev has a legit chance to score 40 goals this season as well as 80 points.

This kid is really learning what it takes to "win" in the Juniors.... I'm really happy he's playing on a team like Brampton.... If he pans out he's definitely going to show up in big games...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 02-03-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old
02-04-2009, 08:17 AM
bogans

At the OHL All-Star Game Skills Competition last night Evgeny Grachev posted the second fastest time in the fastest skater competition with a time of 14.179 seconds. First place was Taylor Hall of the Windsor Spitfires who beat Grachev by 1/100th of a second with a time of 14.178 seconds. This kid has speed, skill and size, and hopefully a bright future.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
At the OHL All-Star Game Skills Competition last night Evgeny Grachev posted the second fastest time in the fastest skater competition with a time of 14.179 seconds. First place was Taylor Hall of the Windsor Spitfires who beat Grachev by 1/100th of a second with a time of 14.178 seconds. This kid has speed, skill and size, and hopefully a bright future.
He definitely has all the tools to be an excellent player. I can't remember any prospect in our recent history that was performing at such an impressive level, without any question marks about his attitude, desire, etc. It's pretty damn awesome.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Depends... If your basis for saying that was just being an overly optimistic Ranger fan, that's one thing...

However if you had seen him play on multiple occasions prior to this and were basing your opinion on what you saw with your own eyes, that's another thing....

Which was it? (Be Honest )
Honestly? Somewhere in the middle. I've been gobbling up everything in "print" (mostly online) I could find on him since draft day and have seen literally dozens of video clips. But I've never seen him live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He definitely has all the tools to be an excellent player. I can't remember any prospect in our recent history that was performing at such an impressive level, without any question marks about his attitude, desire, etc. It's pretty damn awesome.
And that's why I feel so strongly.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 05:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Honestly? Somewhere in the middle. I've been gobbling up everything in "print" (mostly online) I could find on him since draft day and have seen literally dozens of video clips. But I've never seen him live.
Didn't expect you to have seen him live but that's good enough that you've seen video footage of him before.... I feel pretty comfortable characterizing his offensive game based on the short clips I've seen of him... He sure stands out....

I wish we could have gotten footage of his 4 goal game... Does anyone remember which team was that again? Possibly we can find it on YouTube somewhere.... Battalion Media didn't post it because it was an away game... I'm sure there's a lot of impressive goals that we're missing out on...

Old
02-04-2009, 07:22 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I wish we could have gotten footage of his 4 goal game... Does anyone remember which team was that again? Possibly we can find it on YouTube somewhere.... Battalion Media didn't post it because it was an away game... I'm sure there's a lot of impressive goals that we're missing out on...
Highlights were in the old Euro/junior prospects thread:
http://www.rogerstv.com/option.asp?l...ag=2&gid=48309

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Pizza

I really like what I see from Grachev. Very excited about him as a prospect.

He looks like a very complete package of size, speed, and skill. Heads straight to the net and is not afraid to shoot the puck. So looking like a VERY nice selection by the Rangers right now.

hat said, there should be no illusions as to how tough a transition juniors to the pro game can be. It will be a major adjustment for Grachev IMO.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:42 AM
CallMeJerry

Grachev in 09-10

Where do you expect Grachev to play next season - NY, Hartford (is he AHL eligible?) or Brampton?

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:08 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
Where do you expect Grachev to play next season - NY, Hartford (is he AHL eligible?) or Brampton?
He'll be at training camp next year hopefully

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:27 PM
FLYLine24*

Congrats to Grachev who scored goal #30 tonight

His team lost 3-1. The other goalie appears to have stood on his head stopping 39 shots, only goal against was Grachevs.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote