HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella

Old
02-04-2009, 12:35 AM
gardenfaithful44

vCash: 500
John Tortorella

I was at the game tonight and before I start my rant, the ceromony was great. Adam Graves deserved this honor. Now, first off on a night when the Rangers honor their heart and soul player for 10 years how does this team come out and play like that. Then Renney' postgame sounds so familiar like I've heard it before, "were working on our powerplay", "good effort", Renny last time I checked talking doesnt win cups. This team needs a shake up, its needs a spark. I feel the sooner the better. My solution, John Tortorella. He bring toughness, intensity, passion to the bench and will get this team going. Also, if it were a perfect world, someone other than Sather would be extending an offer to Torts.

Thoughts?

gardenfaithful44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:37 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:55 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

We should take both JT and Laviolette

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:56 AM
nevesis

Torts is what this team needs. However I would be happy with Laviolette as well.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:59 AM
broadwayblue

We don't have the right guys to get it done...so changing the coach isn't the answer.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 01:10 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

On the contrary, I think we have solid veterans that could put it together and lead a team to the playoffs and gather some wins, advance some rounds. However I think this defensive system Renney has implemented has limited this whole team. And I believe guys like Drury, Gomez, Naslund, and Redden aren't going to disobey the coach, they are character guys and they will play the way renney wants them to play, but again I think this has limited to them to their full ability out there. Drury was very effective on the PP in Buffalo, its not like he played a whole different style of game there, at least the way he plays the game because technically here in NY its the Tome Renney show that is performed here.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 01:11 AM
gardenfaithful44

I'll agree that they dont have the guys to get it done, but a change is needed. I've supported Renney since his arrival in NY, and I still think he is a good coach. But he is not the coach the Rangers need. This team as gotten to complacent(sp?). They need a change. They need a new face, a new system, someone who will let the players know that if they dont produce the press box is only a few floors up. I've seen many fire Renny boards. Its time to accept it and move on.

gardenfaithful44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZherdeV View Post
Torts is what this team needs. However I would be happy with Laviolette as well.
Torts is 100% what this team doesn't need. He failed to go anywhere after they won the cup. He had tons of talent and did noting and his players hated his guts.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 01:32 AM
The Thomas J.*

I too was at tonights game & it was just down right BORING ZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

My take on it is this, These players don't fit Renneys system, it's a complete disaster, an example, I looked up at the shot on goal midway though the 2nd period, we had 21 shots they had 12. I was STUNNED I would say 19 out of those 21 shots were weak, while Atlanta seemed to have qulaity chances one roght after the other.

We are not a good team. Either Drury or Gomez has to go, I;ve been screaming for months that Gomez is more tradeable due to his age, Signing both of these guys at the same time was a huge mistake, they basically cancel the other one out, it's just not meant to be.

Naslund is giving us exactly what I thought he would, he will get his 30 goals & 30 Assists, just by default.

Redden Does NOTHING that makes me thing he is going to get anybetter, he is DONE D O N E

Before we toss Renney out & bring in a guy that will totally over turn everthing we need to get Renney the right miz of players here.

& for the love of God Trade either Prucha & Dawes or both or Play them.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 01:44 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
On the contrary, I think we have solid veterans that could put it together and lead a team to the playoffs and gather some wins, advance some rounds. However I think this defensive system Renney has implemented has limited this whole team. And I believe guys like Drury, Gomez, Naslund, and Redden aren't going to disobey the coach, they are character guys and they will play the way renney wants them to play, but again I think this has limited to them to their full ability out there. Drury was very effective on the PP in Buffalo, its not like he played a whole different style of game there, at least the way he plays the game because technically here in NY its the Tome Renney show that is performed here.
That's the thing. This team has gone to the playoffs and won some rounds lately. At this point that isn't going to impress me any more. I just don't see the team as currently configured getting beyond that.

Old
02-04-2009, 01:46 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfaithful44 View Post
I'll agree that they dont have the guys to get it done, but a change is needed. I've supported Renney since his arrival in NY, and I still think he is a good coach. But he is not the coach the Rangers need. This team as gotten to complacent(sp?). They need a change. They need a new face, a new system, someone who will let the players know that if they dont produce the press box is only a few floors up. I've seen many fire Renny boards. Its time to accept it and move on.
I do agree. They don't seem fired up. If that's the coaches job, he's not getting it right. But where is Drury in all this?

Old
02-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
I like Torts, but no, not at this time. Changing the coach will not help whatsoever with this team.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:00 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Torts is 100% what this team doesn't need. He failed to go anywhere after they won the cup. He had tons of talent and did noting and his players hated his guts.
The players are the most spoiled in the league. Renney is SOFT.

They need a coach who does not let all the fringe benefits of being a Ranger get in the way.

Someone who will bench them when they do anything wrong, and won't care if he does it.

Someone who will call out the players in the media when they aren't performing up to standards or the money they are being paid.

Someone who will get irate at referee's and actually take a stand when it means something.

Being soft gets you nowhere in the NHL. Renney has no cups remember.

Failed to go anywhere after they won the cup? Do you expect him to win the cup every year? Cmon. Be realistic.

In six seasons, Tortorella helped produce, two division championships, 1 stanley cup, and 4 total playoff appearances.

He has fire, and ability. He is not afraid to answer questions from the tough NY media. I could go on all night.

Just like how Avery sparked this team and kept people on their toes, a head coach with the same type of spark and keeping people honest and on their toes I think would create a better team than the snoozefest, non scoring, team Renney has created.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

my preferences:

1) Shoenfeld - not super culture shock, similar system, but more aggressive. plus he doesnt take crap and is unafraid to bench his stars

2) Pat Burns - Great great great coach, but cancer...not sure how that one would work

3)Torts

4) Laviolette

5) Quinn

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:38 AM
levski87

Bruce Boudreau ... btw a coaching change CAN make a difference. Does no one remember the Caps last year? They lost so many games in a row.. (maybe 14 straight? or something along those lines)... they get Boudreau and he gets them in the playoffs...

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:28 AM
TrueBlueNorwegian

I am a fan of Tom Renney. He is very well spoken, and he is a great coach. However, it does not seem like it is working out anymore. I have never been criticizing Renney before but I am beginning to feel like its time for a change.
When I hear Chris Drury, Scott Gomez and Wade Redden talk, i yawn. It seems like they dont give a **** about this team and winning hockey games.

A guy that i have always admired, who i think has gotten a lot out of his players, is John Tortorella. If we were to make a coaching change, my choice would be Torts.
He is vocal!!! both in the media and to his players, he demands the best out of his players no matter what the **** their name is and is not afraid to sit players out if they dont compete and bleed for their team. You play for the logo on the front, not the name on the back or your huge paycheck, and Torts is the man for us if we were to fire Renney.

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
all wrong! we dont' need a new coach we need a new GM!

Renney is getting the best of what he's got. Its not his fault that Redden is a dog.
Its not his fault that our forwards are offensively challenged.

This team hasn't got it. it saddens me to say this.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 06:48 AM
NYRSchrute217

This team needs a finisher, and someone to stand in front of the net. Anyone who watches Rangers games sees that our opponent's goalies always leave about 5 or 6 big rebounds a game, but for whatever reason, we can't get to the puck. We need a big sized player in front of the net at all times in the offensive zone. Voros did it earlier in the season, but he showed why he's making 1 million bucks this year.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
This team needs a finisher, and someone to stand in front of the net. Anyone who watches Rangers games sees that our opponent's goalies always leave about 5 or 6 big rebounds a game, but for whatever reason, we can't get to the puck. We need a big sized player in front of the net at all times in the offensive zone. Voros did it earlier in the season, but he showed why he's making 1 million bucks this year.
Shanny?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 07:33 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
all wrong! we dont' need a new coach we need a new GM!

Renney is getting the best of what he's got. Its not his fault that Redden is a dog.
Its not his fault that our forwards are offensively challenged.

This team hasn't got it. it saddens me to say this.
I agree. Sather is the bigger problem and he's handicapped this team for the next few years with his bad decisions--signing too many less than elite players for too much.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:16 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
my preferences:

1) Shoenfeld - not super culture shock, similar system, but more aggressive. plus he doesnt take crap and is unafraid to bench his stars

2) Pat Burns - Great great great coach, but cancer...not sure how that one would work

3)Torts

4) Laviolette

5) Quinn
1) I also would have Schoeny first and for the same reasons, but have discounted him heretofor, because Slats offered it to him before Renney and he preferred to be the GM in HFD. If he's changed his stance, by all means, he's no. 1 on my list.

2) Laviolette - has faith in his players, values offense (while still understanding defense) and has won a cup with arguably the weakest lineup in years

3) Torts - I understand why people want him and I too would appreciate the no-BS approach. My only concern is that he may have a bit of Keenan's egoism. After all, it's possible to go too far the other way from Renney's temperment and get a guy who's more obsessed with himself than the team. But hey, I'd certainly give him the benefit of the doubt and welcome him with open arms.

4) Burns - would be great, but I think the cancer probably precludes it. Per Wikipedia:
Quote:
he survived colon cancer in 2004 and liver cancer in 2005[1]. On January 21st, 2009, Burns acknowledged had been diagnosed with cancer for a third time; this time lung cancer. [2] He has said that the prognosis is not good and that his focus is on enjoying the time that he has left.[3]
Otherwise we would've heard his name a lot more in connection with the other vacancies out there.

5) Quinn - certainly has the credentials, but I worry that the game has passed him by. I honestly believe that it's time to go with a younger guy.

I'd also be willing to try somebody new. We don't always have to go with a guy who's tested his mettle elsewhere, and at this point, I think a change -any change- is required. Anyone know of rising stars in the ranks of the assistant coaches/AHL coaches/NCAA coaches/juniors coaches?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:41 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

It'd be nice if more than 5 players every night showed at least a little bit that cared about being a Ranger.

If I was coach, the first thing I'd do would be to teach the players what the **** it means to be a Ranger in the first place. Make them love what they're playing for and you'd see a change.

THERE IS NO PASSION, outside of Dubi, Cally, Zherdev, Lundqvist and Staal. None of them seem that they even want to be on the ice. So, take them off it.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:51 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
It'd be nice if more than 5 players every night showed at least a little bit that cared about being a Ranger.

If I was coach, the first thing I'd do would be to teach the players what the **** it means to be a Ranger in the first place. Make them love what they're playing for and you'd see a change.

THERE IS NO PASSION, outside of Dubi, Cally, Zherdev, Lundqvist and Staal. None of them seem that they even want to be on the ice. So, take them off it.
You want to bench everyone but those 5?

Interesting that you mention Staal there, because I see him as the perfect example of why you don't need to be a whirling dervish of energy in order to be an effective player.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfaithful44 View Post
I was at the game tonight and before I start my rant, the ceromony was great. Adam Graves deserved this honor. Now, first off on a night when the Rangers honor their heart and soul player for 10 years how does this team come out and play like that. Then Renney' postgame sounds so familiar like I've heard it before, "were working on our powerplay", "good effort", Renny last time I checked talking doesnt win cups. This team needs a shake up, its needs a spark. I feel the sooner the better. My solution, John Tortorella. He bring toughness, intensity, passion to the bench and will get this team going. Also, if it were a perfect world, someone other than Sather would be extending an offer to Torts.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that I think its amateur time when our fans start in with 'they need a disciplinarian to get the team to score goals'.

Ridiculous.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:55 AM
beastly115

The players on this team just aren't suited for Renney's ultra-defensive style. I can see this team being like the 06-07 Sabres. Run and Gun with a lot of depth. But what about our lack of scoring, you say? It's Renney's system that is stifling our offense. Let our guys attack and they will score. Stop putting the ****ing 4th line on and they will score.

It's not the players, it's the coach's system. It doesn't suit the players.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote