HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Junior A Spring Camp Advice

Old
02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

vCash: 500
Junior A Spring Camp Advice

Ok so when I got home today I had mail from Alberni Valley Bulldogs inviting me to their prospect camp in April. I just got back into playing after a back injury that had me on the sidelines for 2 months, I have basically 2 1/2 months to get back in shape but what should I expect when I go into the camp?

Plebeian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

They are going to want you to be going at full speed the first day. Make sure your ready.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorgie 06 View Post
Ok so when I got home today I had mail from Alberni Valley Bulldogs inviting me to their prospect camp in April. I just got back into playing after a back injury that had me on the sidelines for 2 months, I have basically 2 1/2 months to get back in shape but what should I expect when I go into the camp?
I agree with Harv. Go with you skates sharpened. Don't do them yourself. Go to someone who's good at doing it. You can't afford to lose an edge. This is the cross roads for you and your career. Go in there with a "get it done" attitude.

Plus, I hope you know how to give and take a punch. Because they (the coaches) will be seeing if you can protect yourself.

If I were going to be evaluating the camp, I would look for guys that are fast, have great hands, can play defense, and playmakers.

Remembers this....

Anyone can score goals, they are a dime a dozen. However, on the other hand, playmakers are hard to find.

If I were you, don't be afraid, go up to the coach and ask what he is looking for?

If he says last goal scorers....go score goals!

If he says playmakers...pass the puck tape to tape!

If he says defensemen...you better know how to play that and good.

I hope that you have had the opportunity to play defense some time in your career. I think everyone should start off playing defense because it forces them to skate hard and see the whole ice.

So when I select, I look for players that have played defense and playmakers.

Good Luck!
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
raganblink

If you play balls out you will probably make the team. There is a reason you were invited. If you play as hard as a scout saw you and harder youll make the team. Most, if not all players who get an invite they have the capabilites to play at such skill level. From there they only difference is how hard they play against their peers.

If you kick the piss out of a kid who starts a fight with you, set up some goals and or score some sick goals, and can play good D, you'll make the team. Or atleast, should make the team.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Thanks everyone, I'm training for 2+ hours a day now trying to get in top shape for the event...Does anyone know what the age group for prospect camps usually is? I'm only 14 so I don't know how old the other players are going to be..

EDIT: To Headcoach, becasue I know how much you love OHS (I do too), the reason I got the invite was because they saw me play up at the camp and were impressed, so just another reason to go there!

Old
02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
raganblink

Most of the players are going to be 16-18. A couple younger and older. But 75% will be in that three year range.

Old
02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post
Most of the players are going to be 16-18. A couple younger and older. But 75% will be in that three year range.
Ok, looks like I'm going to be the young one coming in to camp

Old
02-04-2009, 07:43 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post
Actually I would wager that at the prospect camp that most players will be 14-16. If you get an offer to go to the actual team camp then most if not all players will be 16-20.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
raganblink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman03 View Post
Actually I would wager that at the prospect camp that most players will be 14-16. If you get an offer to go to the actual team camp then most if not all players will be 16-20.
oh prospect? my bad. i thought it was the tryout camp.

in that case yes, most if not all will be under 17.

Old
02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I'm training for 2+ hours a day now trying to get in top shape for the event...Does anyone know what the age group for prospect camps usually is? I'm only 14 so I don't know how old the other players are going to be..

EDIT: To Headcoach, becasue I know how much you love OHS (I do too), the reason I got the invite was because they saw me play up at the camp and were impressed, so just another reason to go there!
I'm guessing they want you for your skill set, possibly for the future.

Don't feel you have to drop the gloves with anyone, just play your type of game as hard as you can (and as HC says, don't forget to be defensively responsible).

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
beardedgraf

keep your head up because i promise you everyone is going to be looking for a hard hit

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
I'm guessing they want you for your skill set, possibly for the future.

Don't feel you have to drop the gloves with anyone, just play your type of game as hard as you can (and as HC says, don't forget to be defensively responsible).
I not a fighter, although I will if I need to. I play more of a powerforward/playmaker style game but I tend to get in people face alot. I think the best example of me would be someone like Alex Burrows with some more size

Old
02-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

I'm not sure how much you've played this season due to your injury but be ready. Seeing as how this is in April it will be when players are their best and in their prime of the season. Some people would argue that they would be tired and exhausted but teenagers are not exhausted/tired after a few months of hockey.

Good luck, make sure to let us know how it went.

02-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Adam91

You have to be at least 16 to make a Jr.A team in Canada. You'll most likely be going to the prospect game, which will most like be 3-4 scrimmage games and maybe 1 skill session/practice. If you do well there they will probably invite you to the main camp even though you technically can't make the team.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
You have to be at least 16 to make a Jr.A team in Canada. You'll most likely be going to the prospect game, which will most like be 3-4 scrimmage games and maybe 1 skill session/practice. If you do well there they will probably invite you to the main camp even though you technically can't make the team.
Thats exactly how it goes. I'm not sure about the 16 I heard some where that Tavares played Junior A before then but maybe not In Canada.

I just got back from my back injury I have played 3 games with 3G 6A. Getting back into shape will be the biggest obstacle.

Old
02-09-2009, 06:21 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Thats exactly how it goes. I'm not sure about the 16 I heard some where that Tavares played Junior A before then but maybe not In Canada.

I just got back from my back injury I have played 3 games with 3G 6A. Getting back into shape will be the biggest obstacle.
Tavares had a special exemption to play major junior at 15...He did play Junior A at 14 but I think it was after his Midget season was done.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
Tavares had a special exemption to play major junior at 15...He did play Junior A at 14 but I think it was after his Midget season was done.
Ahh makes sense now...Thanks for the help