HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

CTV Story: Holy Habs, on Thursday Feb 5th @ Noon EST and @ 6pm EST

Old
02-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Daniel Bigras

vCash: 500
CTV Story: Holy Habs, on Thursday Feb 5th @ Noon EST and @ 6pm EST

Hi there,

As I mentionned in my new tattoo thread, CTV News is doing a story on the Canadiens frenziness, on the fact that the Montreal Canadiens are considered a religion by many.

It will air Thursday, February 5th, during the news broadcast at noon and at 6pm.

I wanted to post a seperate thread, because it deserves to be, as I will not be the only fan interviewed in that story.

That story will show different fans, crazy like me, that talks about their love for our favorite team, our favorite passion. I hope you will enjoy it.

--
Daniel Bigras

Last edited by Daniel Bigras: 02-05-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Edited out link(s) to personal site.
Daniel Bigras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:25 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
damn, i didnt know i was gonna be on tv

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:25 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
So this is in celebration of the 100th year, right?

Old
02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Daniel Bigras

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
damn, i didnt know i was gonna be on tv
Actually, the title of the story came from the reporter and the cameraman's reaction when they entered my place and saw all my CH logos:

'Holy CHit!' ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
So this is in celebration of the 100th year, right?
I don't know which calendar you are following, it's the 2009th year. ;-)

Old
02-04-2009, 11:30 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
But not the 100th season
Obviously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
Actually, the title of the story came from the reporter and the cameraman's reaction when they entered my place and saw all my CH logos:

'Holy CHit!' ;-)

For me, nothing existed until the Habs existed.

Old
02-04-2009, 11:32 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
check out existing habs videos from ctv right here: http://watch.ctv.ca/news/top-picks/holy-habs/

Im an encoder on the site, and made/named this package...can't help but think they 'borrowed' from me for the name of thursday's programme.

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Congratulations DB, I look forward to watching the broadcast.

02-04-2009, 11:45 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:

'Holy CHit!' ;-)

haha good stuff. ill keep an eye out for that

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Alright you kids have had your fun. No more OT or personal comments.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
It's the 2010th year

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I've had "Montreal Canadiens" in my Facebook Religion since 2006, the city's just catching up now?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Daniel Bigras

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
It's the 2010th year
Asti. Hahaha. Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I've had "Montreal Canadiens" in my Facebook Religion since 2006, the city's just catching up now?
While I agree it has SOME similarities with a religion, personally it's more than that. A religion has rules, responsibilities, things you can't do, etc..

The Montreal Canadiens, to me, is more than a religion, it's a way of life, it's a reason to live, not the only reason anymore, but at some points in my life, it was the only positive thing I had going.

I think it's too easy to call it a religion; either that, or I'm misunderstanding what a religion is and maybe it's truely a religion.

Old
02-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Asti. Hahaha. Good one.

While I agree it has SOME similarities with a religion, personally it's more than that. A religion has rules, responsibilities, things you can't do, etc..

The Montreal Canadiens, to me, is more than a religion, it's a way of life, it's a reason to live, not the only reason anymore, but at some points in my life, it was the only positive thing I had going.

I think it's too easy to call it a religion; either that, or I'm misunderstanding what a religion is and maybe it's truely a religion.
Don't you 'worship' the Habs like we all do???

If yes, then you have your answer.

To some people, the same as you, the only thing positive they have in their life is their religion.

I remember a post someone else and I made on the RDS forum, comparing the Habs legion to the Muslims, the reasons why we call Montreal the hockey mecca. It was a nice thread.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Daniel Bigras

Quote:
Don't you 'worship' the Habs like we all do???

If yes, then you have your answer.

To some people, the same as you, the only thing positive they have in their life is their religion.

I remember a post someone else and I made on the RDS forum, comparing the Habs legion to the Muslims, the reasons why we call Montreal the hockey mecca. It was a nice thread.
You are mixing faith and religion.

Having faith in something doesn't make one religious. And being religious doesn't mean that person has faith.

Believing in something, worshipping, thinking and wishing (aka praying) is one thing. Following a religion is another, in my opinion.

A religion has rules. Sure, as fans, we make rules, like watching the games, like only supporting our team, etc.. But these rules are fan-made, not Canadiens-made.

We are faithful, worshippers, yes, but does that make us religious? I like to think not.

Old
02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
You are mixing faith and religion.

Having faith in something doesn't make one religious. And being religious doesn't mean that person has faith.

Believing in something, worshipping, thinking and wishing (aka praying) is one thing. Following a religion is another, in my opinion.

A religion has rules. Sure, as fans, we make rules, like watching the games, like only supporting our team, etc.. But these rules are fan-made, not Canadiens-made.

We are faithful, worshippers, yes, but does that make us religious? I like to think not.
No, you are the one mixing it up. All the truly religious people HAVE faith, while not all who are not religious have faith.

You are mixing dogma and organized religion... we are talking about HAVING a religion, which is pretty much the same as stating your "faith". have you ever heard someone say 'My faith is Christianity" (or something else)??

You are basing this on your pre-mis/conception of religion. The basis of religion IS worship and faith. A lot of believers will worship and have faith in the God of their chosen religion without following the rules and dogmas of the figureheads. The rules and dogmas are only an unfortunate extent of religion. The basis remains faith and worship, which is highly similar to how we hold the Habs.

Old
02-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Daniel Bigras

Quote:
No, you are the one mixing it up. All the truly religious people HAVE faith, while not all who are not religious have faith.

You are mixing dogma and organized religion... we are talking about HAVING a religion, which is pretty much the same as stating your "faith". have you ever heard someone say 'My faith is Christianity" (or something else)??

You are basing this on your pre-mis/conception of religion. The basis of religion IS worship and faith. A lot of believers will worship and have faith in the God of their chosen religion without following the rules and dogmas of the figureheads. The rules and dogmas are only an unfortunate extent of religion. The basis remains faith and worship, which is highly similar to how we hold the Habs.
You are obviously too stubborn to read what people write.

Religions has laws, some punisheable by death, being passionnate about a hockey team doesn't.

Religion has responsibilities; the Canadiens don't impose us any.

Religio, latin, reverence of the gods, of divine things. If Maurice Richard is a god, my goodness, Mother Teresa, Princess Diana, Teletubbies must be gods too.

I agree that worshipping something, like a sports team, like a singer, like a music group, has SOME similarities with a religion, but only the positive is similar, not the negative ones. And every religion has laws, responsibilities.

Not because a passion unites people it makes it a religion.

Calling the Montreal Canadiens a religion is too easy. I think it deserves to be more than that, that's all.

People like easy; they invented english cuz it was easy. :-P

Old
02-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Daniel Bigras

Btw, I added the commercial that runs on CTV since sunday on Youtube.. I added the link in the first post of this thread.

Old
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
You are obviously too stubborn to read what people write.

Religions has laws, some punisheable by death, being passionnate about a hockey team doesn't.

Religion has responsibilities; the Canadiens don't impose us any.

Religio, latin, reverence of the gods, of divine things. If Maurice Richard is a god, my goodness, Mother Teresa, Princess Diana, Teletubbies must be gods too.

I agree that worshipping something, like a sports team, like a singer, like a music group, has SOME similarities with a religion, but only the positive is similar, not the negative ones. And every religion has laws, responsibilities.

Not because a passion unites people it makes it a religion.

Calling the Montreal Canadiens a religion is too easy. I think it deserves to be more than that, that's all.

People like easy; they invented english cuz it was easy. :-P
R'garde ticoune, je parle français aussi, alors si tu crois que ça va m'offenser de dire que l'anglais est plus facile, tu te trompes ben nette.

And English is not "easy" per se, it is a language made to be talked, while French is a language made to be written. That's why lyrics often sound better in English than in French, while an argumental discourse is more accurate in French.

I think I'll let you with your opinion of the analogy of religion, as you really don't seem to get it. I did read your part about rules, I also made a very good counter argument which you have totally ignored, so give this advice to yourself, maudit paresseux, c'est toi qui a la tête dure et qui ne lit pas se que les autres écrivent.

EDIT
And there, since you will respond with another blank statement, still ignoring the fact that the basis of religion is worship and faith, tell me, doesn't the analogy correspond to at least one of these four descriptions of religion :

Main Entry: re·li·gion
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈli-jən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back — more at rely
Date: 13th century
1 a: the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith— re·li·gion·less adjective

Stop saying others are stubborn. You are the kettle buddy. We have threads about the centennial to show just how stubborn you are. And even when the facts stare you blank in the face, you still refuse to admit to them. If the facts showing you that you are wrong were a big 60 foot pink elephant sitting in your living room, you would still not see it.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 02-04-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old
02-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Daniel Bigras

Quote:
R'garde ticoune, je parle français aussi, alors si tu crois que ça va m'offenser de dire que l'anglais est plus facile, tu te trompes ben nette.

And English is not "easy" per se, it is a language made to be talked, while French is a language made to be written. That's why lyrics often sound better in English than in French, while an argumental discourse is more accurate in French.

I think I'll let you with your opinion of the analogy of religion, as you really don't seem to get it. I did read your part about rules, I also made a very good counter argument which you have totally ignored, so give this advice to yourself, maudit paresseux, c'est toi qui a la tête dure et qui ne lit pas se que les autres écrivent.
Tu penses que je ne le savais pas? Une attitude comme ça, ça peut juste venir d'un autre québécois.

What did I say that was so negative? I just think it's a lot more than a religion to A FEW FANATICS LIKE US.

But it's also far from being close to a faith for 80% of the people following the Canadiens. For most fans, it's an interest, like a tv show, like Star Académie, like So You Think You Can Dance, etc.. It's just a few exceptions, like us, that behave insanely, that makes the most noise, that takes the front of every talk-show, radio or TV, of every Internet sites, english or french.

Either way, it's exagerated or too easy.

On peux-tu se calmer le ponpon là?

Old
02-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Tu penses que je ne le savais pas? Une attitude comme ça, ça peut juste venir d'un autre québécois.

What did I say that was so negative? I just think it's a lot more than a religion to A FEW FANATICS LIKE US.

But it's also far from being close to a faith for 80% of the people following the Canadiens. For most fans, it's an interest, like a tv show, like Star Académie, like So You Think You Can Dance, etc.. It's just a few exceptions, like us, that behave insanely, that makes the most noise, that takes the front of every talk-show, radio or TV, of every Internet sites, english or french.

Either way, it's exagerated or too easy.

On peux-tu se calmer le ponpon là?

That's where I don't agree. It's not just a few. And you can't quantify it to 80%. I would say it is much lower than that that only have it as a hobby, but there is no sure way to tell, so neither you or me can quantify that. And still, 20% is somewhere near 400000 people... that's almost the Raelien cult all to itself in terms of numbers.

I see what you mean by easiness, still, the analogy, to me is quite good, since there are A LOT of similar things. I could start to expound on them, but I don't think you would be interested. It goes even further than just faith and worship. Think about the weekly mass... Saturday night at the BC, everybody chanting.

Just saying, there are many similarities and the analogy is warranted.

Old
02-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Daniel Bigras

Quote:
That's where I don't agree. It's not just a few. And you can't quantify it to 80%. I would say it is much lower than that that only have it as a hobby, but there is no sure way to tell, so neither you or me can quantify that. And still, 20% is somewhere near 400000 people... that's almost the Raelien cult all to itself in terms of numbers.

I see what you mean by easiness, still, the analogy, to me is quite good, since there are A LOT of similar things. I could start to expound on them, but I don't think you would be interested. It goes even further than just faith and worship. Think about the weekly mass... Saturday night at the BC, everybody chanting.

Just saying, there are many similarities and the analogy is warranted.
I don't know if you go to the Bell Center a lot. I go 10-15 times a year. I think the ambiance at the BC is also hyped. Last night, it was difficult to hold a Olé Olé Olé for more than 20 seconds. We didn't have a major Go Habs Go either.

In a way, maybe it did look like a church. Everybody was quiet. :-P

The funniest was the Saputo section trying to start a wave in both directions. I guess there were many newcomers that didn't know the wave has to be clockwise.

But at the end, with 90 seconds left, a good Na Na Na started and lasted until the end. So, nothing major, just 90 seconds of good ambiance. The media will say that the ambiance was nuts last night, while it was dead. I know it happened last season, 2-3 times, when they said the crowd was unreal when it was sleeping most of the game.

That's why I say it's hyped. The media is controlling the information, they are shaping what we are given, especially in the french media. So when I see something this big, like calling the Canadiens a religion, I also think it's hyped.

Old
02-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I don't know if you go to the Bell Center a lot. I go 10-15 times a year. I think the ambiance at the BC is also hyped. Last night, it was difficult to hold a Olé Olé Olé for more than 20 seconds. We didn't have a major Go Habs Go either.

In a way, maybe it did look like a church. Everybody was quiet. :-P

The funniest was the Saputo section trying to start a wave in both directions. I guess there were many newcomers that didn't know the wave has to be clockwise.

But at the end, with 90 seconds left, a good Na Na Na started and lasted until the end. So, nothing major, just 90 seconds of good ambiance. The media will say that the ambiance was nuts last night, while it was dead. I know it happened last season, 2-3 times, when they said the crowd was unreal when it was sleeping most of the game.

That's why I say it's hyped. The media is controlling the information, they are shaping what we are given, especially in the french media. So when I see something this big, like calling the Canadiens a religion, I also think it's hyped.
It has nothing to do with being hyped. This analogy has been going around way before the media started talking about it, come on.

And sorry, whether I see the game at the BC or on the télé, I can hear the crowd the same and can trust my own judgement to know if the crowd was wild or not, saying that the media controls this info is totally ridiculous. People just need to watch the game on TV and they'll hear the crowd the same and hear for themselves, and that's over 1 million viewers that can see that for themselves, and I don,t think the media lying about it will change their minds.

Have you went to other NHL venues? I've never heard the crowd being so loud so constantly as the BC.

Anyway, as usual, you are missing the point. The religion analogy isn't the media's creature, its our own.

Old
02-04-2009, 11:29 PM
rudethedude66

children children children

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Mustafa*

When i see rwo Queeebecers fighting it brings tears to my eyes.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:25 AM
3TB3*

Religion as it once was ended many years ago in Quebec.

And so did what the Habs meant back then when a Morenz or a Maurice Richard once played.

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote