HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good Larry Brooks column today

Old
02-02-2009, 09:36 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
Great article. I've said all season long, on paper we are garbage---and it is translating onto the ice. We do not have that player that other teams would look at during the game to shutdown.

It used to be Jagr, but no more.

Other teams have that player....some have more than one. We have ZERO. I think every team in the east has one, except us.

So have a few of us but if i remember correctly we were referred to as the glass half empty gang, and nine times out of ten the replies were "look at our record".

Obviously i dont want us to lose but when we go out like i expect it will be interesting to see what the excuses would be if we miss the playoffs or lose in the 1st or 2nd rnd.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:08 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Give me a break, its **** we knew already
So you agree with him then. I see.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:42 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

No thread about Brooks is complete without the all-time classic Torts video.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
So have a few of us but if i remember correctly we were referred to as the glass half empty gang, and nine times out of ten the replies were "look at our record".

Obviously i dont want us to lose but when we go out like i expect it will be interesting to see what the excuses would be if we miss the playoffs or lose in the 1st or 2nd rnd.
Generally the people who say "look at the record", such as myself, do so because we had moderate (and apparently realistic) expectations for this squad. You can't have such a dramatic changeover in personnel and expect a cup contender.

My personal feeling was that this would be a 5/6th place team heading into the playoffs ending with a 1st or 2nd round knock out. Many people around here didn't even have this team pegged to make the playoffs. So some of us are willing to say "This team is doing better than I thought it would" and we do so by pointing out the teams record.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:49 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Turcotte - what's wrong with Rozsival's contract? $5MM per seems pretty fair, and four years ain't so much. One needs to ask the question, however, as to why Redden got $6.5MM over 6 seasons. There's a huge disconnect here. Both were UFA. Rozsival played better than Redden in the prior three seasons. One also gets an NMC clause. I can't believe a hometown discount was that great. The Redden contract is a bit disheartening. Hopefully the second half of year one and years 2-6 will be better.

Rosie is a very solid d-man when he is at the top of his game and has actually recovered from a horrendous 1st half.

But come on man, he isnt worth that much money. 5 mil a season? I would have done 10 million for 2 or 12 for 3...but 20 for four is stretching it.

Besides, it's clear that Streit would have been just as good with Staal as his partner at even strength but light years better on the PP.

Unless, of course, Pearn is the cancer, not Rosie or Redden, killing our PP

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
eco's - I actually think that Gomez could be the most overrated setup guy in the game. He's good, but I don't see him making linemates better. If Gomez was that good of a setup man, Naslund would be back on track for a 35 goal season instead of being "on pace" for a down season. Perhaps Gomez should be trying to find his linemate a bit more than taking the low percentage shot that has been a trademark of his throughout his career (he's always taken a lot of shots throughout his career). Further, he's such a streaky offensive player. Three times he went three games without a point. You don't hear that a lot from your top line guy who's out there 21+ minutes per game. Perhaps Renney should take a page from the Devils' playbook and not play Gomez on the PK and only have him out there 18-19 minutes per game, focused on what he's supposed to be doing, which is providing offense while not being irresponsible on defense.

I agree on Drury.

But both of these guys are support guys. These aren't the guys you look too in order to lead you to offense.
Excellent, excellent post.

But let me add one thing about Gomez that people don't seem to realize. He's always taken a lot of shots, but he's taken it to another level since the lockout. He had his fluke 33-goal season in 05-06, when he had a career high in shots and since then he has been shooting more than ever. There is a misconception that this has to do with Renney or the lack of wingers for Gomez to play with. WRONG. He did this before he came to the Rangers. It's almost three years since that fluke year and he still hasn't realized that it was jsut that: a fluke.

99-00 - 204 shots, 9.3 shooting %
00-01 - 155 shots, 9.0 shooting %
01-02 - 156 shots, 6.4 shooting %
02-03 - 205 shots, 6.3 shooting %
03-04 - 189 shots, 7.4 shooting %
05-06 - 244 shots, 13.5 shooting %
06-07 - 248 shots, 5.2 shooting %
07-08 - 242 shots, 6.6 shooting %
SO FAR 08-09 - 158 shots, 6.3 shooting %
ON PACE 08-09 - 254 shots, 6.3 shooting %

So he keeps shooting. Lead the team in shots, ranks among the league leaders in shots on goal, yet among those same league leaders, only one player has a worse shooting % than Gomez (Dion Phaneuf).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 08:40 AM
eco's bones

Well whatever the case on Gomez and I'm inclined to (I think I have to) concede the point about his shooting the puck history--he doesn't seem to have that much chemistry with anybody but neither in fact does Naslund or Drury. As 3 of our go to guys on offense it's more like they go it alone. In respect to Naslund at 35 and with declining numbers the past few seasons it just may be that he's lost a bit.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Well whatever the case on Gomez and I'm inclined to (I think I have to) concede the point about his shooting the puck history--he doesn't seem to have that much chemistry with anybody but neither in fact does Naslund or Drury. As 3 of our go to guys on offense it's more like they go it alone. In respect to Naslund at 35 and with declining numbers the past few seasons it just may be that he's lost a bit.
....not just a bit!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:23 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
No thread about Brooks is complete without the all-time classic Torts video.

ok that settles it.

I WANT TORTS TO COACH THIS TEAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i freeekin love this guy.

fire renney !

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Perhaps Gomez should be trying to find his linemate a bit more than taking the low percentage shot...
As SOS pointed out last week, it may have more to do with Renney if his instructions are to put the puck on net when you don't have any other play.

"Safe plays" could be also be an answer the perceived lack of chemistry as well. Player A might instinctually know where Player B is going to be on the ice, but if it's going to take a high risk pass to get the puck to him, the instructions are to choose another option.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Fletch

Turcotte...

sometimes it's better to go with the devil you know, as opposed to the devil you don't know. Given where UFA contracts were the last couple seasons, $5MM was actually a steal for Rozy based on his overall performance the last three seasons. At times, he was a warrior, taking pucks off all parts of his body while tallying around 40 points per season, which, not surprising, he's on pace for this season. Streit's been a pleasant surprise for the Islanders, no doubt, and perhaps he would've been a better signing than Rozsival (or Redden) and for cheaper (honestly, I would've preferred to have Rozy and Streit than Redden and Streit), but I'm not commenting on what other options were available at the time. Look at the defensive UFAs over the last couple seasons and you'll find that the Rozy contract is quite reasonable. Not the best, but quite reasonable. He began the season playing through an injury and has been quite good the last month or so. I don't think he'll get worse over the next few seasons (which is something I can't say of Redden).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Fletch

MJ...

that's the way Gomez plays. He doesn't typically setup in the offensive zone and make the beautiful pass to his winger for the finish. He acts quick, but doesn't think quick. He's always been a low-percentage shooter and he seems to do something different each times he gets into the zone - sometimes he shows patience, other times he does not. This is why he's just an above average centerman, and not a great centerman.

eco's - I agree about the chemistry, but with Gomez, it seems to appear that sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, which plays into Gomez' streakiness. There wasn't chemistry with Jagr and Gomez initially, and Renney was quick to yank that. There was chemistry later, though. It depends on in which cycle you catch Gomez. This isn't meant to be ultra negative towards Gomez. It's meant as an honest evaluation. I thought he did very well as a second line center last season (when the focus was not on him), and I think it's the opposite this season.

Old
02-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Fletch

great Torts interview. Gotta love Brooksie for getting under his skin like that too; surprised Larry left with a parting shot.

Old
02-04-2009, 07:23 AM
eco's bones

How completely unrelated the performance pre-game to retire Adam Graves' #9 seemed from the teams' performance later on against one of the most mediocre teams in the league--almost as if one had nothing to do with the other.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
BRINGBACKAVERY

As usually Larry gets it right. Winning hockey games is about the right set of personalities as much as talent (probably much more so since to get to the NHL you have to be incredibly tallented)

And these lifeless drones don't have it. Maybe some of the younger guys if they had exposure to players with heart nd drive who cared about the TEAM would pick up there games. But the front office did nothing to make that happen this offseason and Renny seemed disinterested in actually motivating his players.

His last three questions really nailed it and called the team otu:

Where is the player who can be expected to step up his game in the tournament?

Where is the player with the capability of inspiring his teammates?

Where is the player an opponent is going to have to worry about stopping in a best-of-seven?

The answer is no one.

BRINGBACKAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 01:14 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

That was Larry Brooks that got told in the vid?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote