HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Who is your bait?

Old
02-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I'm surprised not many have mentioned Finley yet. I think he'd be a prime example of someone that could get moved.
He would tend to fit the general description of the Ducks team, though I don't know if Murray has the same tendencies when it comes to team building. He tends to be off the radar somewhat since he is a college player who isn't a new prospect in the system relatively speaking.

That said...the Ducks are currently fifth in the West. They are just four points up on a mass of teams and they do just have three out of twelve at home between now and the deadline but at this rate it's going to take a tumble or a very bold mgmt. decision for them to sell off. Selanne is back now and they seem to be playing much better on whole.

The bait all depends on what you're trying to lure. If it's more of a depth move then Mo, Lepisto, Bourque, their 2nd & 3rd and Bouchard are on the top of my list to be moved. If it's a big fish they're after then the only untouchable roster players to me are Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, Semin, Fedorov, Poti and Theodore. Varlamov and Alzner are the only prospects that wouldn't be on the table.

There are two ways to look at a big deadline deal. Such a move would disturb chemistry--and that has been a problem for middling Caps clubs in the past--but it would also signal that the front office is trying just as hard as the team to reach higher levels of achievement and put the best team on the ice. McPhee was bold in addressing weaknesses last season due to their performance up until that point. The only reason he shouldn't be this season is if the prices are unreasonable or if he's just too constrained by the cap either in the short- or long-term.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 11:04 AM
tim

vCash: 50
Willingly give up:
Fehr
Nylander
Morrisonn
Jurcina
Erskine
Schultz

Hershey/Prospects *unwilling* to give up:
Alzner
Varlamov
Osala (maybe)
Bourque (maybe)

And this Joel Broda guy.. I want to see what he can do in a Caps jersey too.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Foy

It would obviously take moving some salary, but has anyone thought about Mathieu Schnieder in Atlanta? Lots of reasons not to, but he's certainly someone that could help us out.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:05 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I'm surprised not many have mentioned Finley yet. I think he'd be a prime example of someone that could get moved.
He's on my list.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:07 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomppav View Post
I have to say that I'm quite surprised to see so many of you willing to trade Caps #1 powerforward prospect away even thought he's having a good rookie season in AHL.

Do Caps have so many other promising powerforward prospects that they are willing to trade him away? I know he's been struggling lately, but IMO it would be a huge mistake if they trade him.
If we're talking Pronger then yeah adios. You have to give to get and with young forwards like Ovy, Semin, Backstrom, Flash he becomes expendable.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:44 PM
FrankM73

like others: you have to give to get although I trust GMGM to make the right trade for the team.

I mean, who could have known he was going to get Feds, Huet and Cooke and we'd roll to the SE crown and the playoffs by winning 85%+ of our games???

if he makes a trade for Pronger, I'll trust that they know what they are doing!

but I'd still like keep Finley, Carlson, Alzner, Varlamov, Osala and Gustafsson if we aren't trading for Chris Pronger!

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Does it matter? Its not like we have the cap space to bring anyone in... Trading our young cheap players is prolly the worst thing we can do with big raises coming to backstrom and semin in the future.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:41 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Does it matter? Its not like we have the cap space to bring anyone in... Trading our young cheap players is prolly the worst thing we can do with big raises coming to backstrom and semin in the future.
We have plenty of cap space to play with now, if Pothier doesn't come back before the playoffs (that's something they may have figured out already, otherwise it is a risk). We can take close to 5 million in some scenarios even without losing Nylander, but at the very least we can replace Clark's salary and that gives us tons of options (obviously Alzner would eat up some of that, though, but there are other moves that would likely be made at the same time to mitigate all that). At the very least we've got more options if we're taking on UFAs, or shorter contract players (1 more year or so) to not have to worry about Backstrom/Semin/Fleischmann.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:05 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
in no particular order:

-Lepisto
-Osala
-draft picks (1st if it's a blockbuster, otherwise 2nd or 3rd)
-Morrisonn/Jurcina
-Nylander
-Neuvirth
I agree with this but would remove Osala.

A few people have mentioned Godfrey. He has an absolute Canon! I'd like to see him develop a bit more in our organization. Getting rid of him will come back to bite us (hunch).

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Icetime

Not willing to give up Carlson so Pronger is probably not an option.

I would give up Osala, (any two of Lepisto,Schultz, Bourque, Bouchard, Finley, Godfrey or Morrison) and a first and a third for Pronger, but GMGM probably would look at that as a one player overpayment. I would do it for Pronger in a heartbeat.

What I really want is just a very good # 3-4 defensive defenseman and with that we can make a very good run at the Finals IMO.

Last edited by Icetime: 02-03-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
I agree with this but would remove Osala.

A few people have mentioned Godfrey. He has an absolute Canon! I'd like to see him develop a bit more in our organization. Getting rid of him will come back to bite us (hunch).
The thing with Godfrey, though, is that he'd be great to have but he's almost a luxury. Carlson's basically a younger version of Godfrey, but better in every way expect pure shot power (and he's still got a cannon). That's not to say we dump Godfrey, but he's not what you might call a unique prospect anymore so he probably can't be looked at as a deal-breaker on our end.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Once Minnesota slides a touch further out of the playoff race, Chris Bourque, Josh Godfrey and a 2nd rounder for pending UFA goaltender Niklas Backstrom at the trade deadline.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:15 AM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:43 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Well played sir.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
finally, some action.

\Commandos flashback

Cleaver, you obviously need to post more often.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:44 AM
FrankM73

seriously... those are the kind of posts that spruce up the intelligence of this community... keep 'em coming...

Old
02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
FrankM73

on a serious note, if anyone can get Pronger away from Anaheim for minimu value going back, I think it's GMGM... some of his trades in the past have been rediculous!!!

Old
02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
pgreene

cleaver finally posts what all of us have wanted to. i nearly made a that-chick-from-harry-potter joke, but decided against it at the last minute.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
cleaver finally posts what all of us have wanted to. i nearly made a that-chick-from-harry-potter joke, but decided against it at the last minute.
I thought about it, and then decided one warning was enough this week. I didn't need to get in trouble for a "babe thread."

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellix View Post
Willingly give up:
Fehr
Nylander
Morrisonn
Jurcina
Erskine
Schultz

Hershey/Prospects *unwilling* to give up:
Alzner
Varlamov
Osala (maybe)
Bourque (maybe)

And this Joel Broda guy.. I want to see what he can do in a Caps jersey too.
No kidding !!!! I just saw he was killing it in the W .... we are sooo deep. Think our ranking on HF is on point?

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Carlson/Varlamov - untouchable.

Fehr/Morrisonn/Schultz/Nylander/Erskine/Jurcina any other prospects - touchable for Pronger, but not necessarily anyone else.

If it'd definitely take Carlson to get Pronger....I don't think I'd do it

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote