HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Renney not happy with todays practice

Old
02-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Renney not happy with todays practice

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...t=NHL&hl=80725

nypost

I like it.........they need a kick in the arse

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

"We know we have to play better, we know we have to score. If Tom thinks we're not scoring because of a lack of effort, I guess that's why he asked us to skate." - Naslund

There it is in writing, plain as day. Now we'll see how much the discipline works. I hope it helps, but I still don't think 'not working hard' is our problem.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:14 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Good to see Renney starting to get a little tough with the guys. I truly think that effort is part of the problem. Read Dubi's article in BB+ and he sums it up perfectly. It seems like when they are desperate suddenly everything changes and the team magically starts playing well.

Quote:
*whistle* AGAIN!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:17 PM
ThisYearsModel

Not good enough. Someone not named Prucha, Dawes or Voros needs to take a seat for a couple games.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:18 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Fans of this team need to realize that Tom knows how to get **** done. He knows how to get the most out of his players. It's why we've made the playoffs three years running. And don't give me that ******** about the players making the playoffs and not the coach. People on this board say that like teams with the skill set of the Islanders are winning stanley cups left and right. Fact is they're not.

I'm not Renney supporter number 1, but give the guy some credit already.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:21 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
Fans of this team need to realize that Tom knows how to get **** done. He knows how to get the most out of his players. It's why we've made the playoffs three years running. And don't give me that ******** about the players making the playoffs and not the coach. People on this board say that like teams with the skill set of the Islanders are winning stanley cups left and right. Fact is they're not.

I'm not Renney supporter number 1, but give the guy some credit already.
Amen. But some people are hell bent on thinking that because they don't see the guy flip out on the bench during games that he has no intensity. Of course, all those people are privy to every practice and meeting, aren't they?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Tom Renney is a terrible motivator, and today's practice wont make any difference.

The killer instinct the Rangers lack is a reflection of their coach's demeanor and his methods.

Hey I like Tom Renney, hes great at some things, just not that.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Amen. But some people are hell bent on thinking that because they don't see the guy flip out on the bench during games that he has no intensity. Of course, all those people are privy to every practice and meeting, aren't they?
To comment on Renney's demeanor on the bench. I love it. We've seen him get in the refs faces when we desperately need it so we know he's capable. But thank god he's not like Michel Therrien and throwing a hissy fit like a child in the refs faces every night.

I can think of another [former] NY coach who had the exact same personality as Renney, and his team won a lot of championships. Think about it. Just because he ain't throwing a hissy fit, doesn't mean he's not getting his point across.

Last edited by silverfish: 02-04-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: images
Old
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
To comment on Renney's demeanor on the bench. I love it. We've seen him get in the refs faces when we desperately need it so we know he's capable. But thank god he's not like Michel Therrien and throwing a hissy fit like a child in the refs faces every night.

I can think of another [former] NY coach who had the exact same personality as Renney, and his team won a lot of championships. Think about it. Just because he ain't throwing a hissy fit, doesn't mean he's not getting his point across.
While not looking at them in the eye. Hmmm, looks like a ton of confidence to me.

Watch the Blackhawks game again.

Old
02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
While not looking at them in the eye. Hmmm, looks like a ton of confidence to me.

Yep he's just staring at his wife who made the trip to chicago across the way.

Old
clmetsfan

Quote:

Oh puh-leeease.

Old
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
"We know we have to play better, we know we have to score. If Tom thinks we're not scoring because of a lack of effort, I guess that's why he asked us to skate." - Naslund

There it is in writing, plain as day. Now we'll see how much the discipline works. I hope it helps, but I still don't think 'not working hard' is our problem.
Hey, we agree up to this point!

Also, note from Naslund's quote: "If Tom thinks we're not scoring because of a lack of effort"...

If he really said it exactly like that, then clearly MARKUS doesn't think it's due to a lack of effort. Wonder what Markus thinks it's due to...? Hmmm....

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

We won that game, no?

Old
02-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

Also, note from Naslund's quote "If Tom thinks we're not scoring because of a lack of effort"... If he really said it exactly like that, then clearly MARKUS doesn't think it's due to a lack of effort. Wonder what Markus thinks it's due to...? Hmmm....
Yeah he's thinking if its not effort its the skill level.

Old
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Yeah and neither are you, so how do you know if his motivational tactics work and actually reach the players?

No one knows. This pissing match will go on forever between us.

I believe he doesnt have the necessary level of personality, intensity, fire, gumption, whatever you want to call it to make an impression on a hockey team in a way that will last.

Just my opinion from what ive seen over the past 3 years. You are entitled to your own and thats fine. Im not saying hes a horrible coach - just pointing out that that is one of his major cons as a coach, one by the way he has candidly admitted to i might add.

Old
02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah he's thinking if its not effort its the skill level.
Burned.

The blame falls wrong on this board. It is not Tom's fault. He didn't bring this group of 'players' together. He's just struggling to make it work like any coach would.

Old
02-04-2009, 03:38 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

Also, note from Naslund's quote: "If Tom thinks we're not scoring because of a lack of effort"...

If he really said it exactly like that, then clearly MARKUS doesn't think it's due to a lack of effort. Wonder what Markus thinks it's due to...? Hmmm....
Yep.

Old
02-04-2009, 03:38 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Burned.

The blame falls wrong on this board. It is not Tom's fault. He didn't bring this group of 'players' together. He's just struggling to make it work like any coach would.
Its never one persons fault. Saying its just the coaches is wrong, but he sure is part of the problem.

Old
02-04-2009, 03:39 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Yeah and neither are you, so how do you know if his motivational tactics work and actually reach the players?

I believe he doesnt have the necessary level of personality, intensity, fire, gumption, whatever you want to call it to make an impression on a hockey team in a way that will last.

Just my opinion from what ive seen over the past 3 years. You are entitled to your own and thats fine. Im not saying hes a horrible coach - just pointing out that that is one of his major cons as a coach, one by the way he has candidly admitted to i might add.
So change the captain, not the coach. Renney is brilliant. If you have a quiet coach a la Renney (and Torre), it's no use having a quiet leader, Drury.

Give Mara the 'C' for ****s sake. He's earned it.

Old
02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

You see, even though I agree with all of these things, I still understand that even if you brought in the complete opposite of Renney, even if you brought in Bowman to coach this team, a team that ices two second liners and a third liner on it's first line is going nowhere.

No style or attitude will change the lack of talent or skill.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:44 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You see, even though I agree with all of these things, I still understand that even if you brought in the complete opposite of Renney, even if you brought in Bowman to coach this team, a team that ices two second liners and a third liner on it's first line is going nowhere.

This.

Old
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

I'm glad someone in here has the honesty to admit that flaw of Renney.

Thats all im talking about and thats all i have been talking about.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Again Mother****ers.

Again.

Again.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:

Bingo!

And Jonathan. your avatar is HILARIOUS. I died when I saw that.

Old
02-04-2009, 03:50 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Bingo!

And Jonathan. your avatar is HILARIOUS. I died when I saw that.
That episode was great. I was a little down on the last few, started to think the show might be losing some steam, but this episode took it back up a notch.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote