HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Sean Avery Possibly To Philly?

Old
02-04-2009, 10:50 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
No please no. We all hate him in Philly.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:50 AM
TheFlyingP

vCash: 500
We don't want, need, or can afford that clown

TheFlyingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingP View Post
We don't want, need, or can afford that clown
agreed. They have to get Briere under the cap first (which they may need to move someone to do). They don't need another forward even though he plays a different game than any of their current forwards. It doesn't make any sense on a lot of levels....

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How could the Flyers sign him? Doesn't he have a contract?
I could have sworn he was bought out by the Stars... which makes him ellidgible to sign with any team he wants... If in fact he was bought out.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Pogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
agreed. They have to get Briere under the cap first (which they may need to move someone to do). They don't need another forward even though he plays a different game than any of their current forwards. It doesn't make any sense on a lot of levels....
.......Briere for Avery+7th round conditional pick

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:42 AM
BRINGBACKAVERY

No idea how much truth is to this "rumor" but this is terrible for the blueshirts. with Avery on there team there is no way the Flyers won't pass us in teh standings.

This team is just about dead in the water. Last night it seemed the guy who wanted to win the most was Graves.

BRINGBACKAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Did he now? Let's not kid ourselves. Sean Avery is a heck of a lot more of a hockey player than Aaron Voros. Better skater, alot better agitator, better hands, better awareness, well, better at pretty much everything, including getting in trouble unfortunately.
I think I've made clear enough in past posts that I thought Avery raised the combative level of the team. Anyway that post you commented on was meant as sarcasm.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:39 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Voros actually was to replace Jagr. But after the first two weeks, going 5-4-9 in 8 games, he assumed he had permanently secured that job and took his foot off the pedal. He's been looking for that pedal ever since.

Crazy how those two guys are even the same player. He has eclipsed his previous season's total but if you look at his stats from last year, they all came in the first half of the season, after which he only tallied on assist in the final 34 games.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 01:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
I could have sworn he was bought out by the Stars... which makes him ellidgible to sign with any team he wants... If in fact he was bought out.
Definitely has not been bought out.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
No not yet, In fact last I heard about a week ago was he was still in treatment for his Anger issues & the Starts are continuing to pay him.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Vitto79

I think its not a bad idea for the Rangers to consider this if on Re entry Dallas will have to eat half the salary in years

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=265791&l...headlines_main

not sure if that is true but it says it hear

thought it was just this years

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
DutchShamrock

Philly fans will hate it at first but he is exactly the kind of player they love and make no mistakes, his antics would have them creaming their pants. If they can saddle the Stars with a bad contract or even swap him with Briere it can work.

The riddle of Sean Avery is boundaries. Renney and NY gave him none except for contributions on the ice. Dallas and Morrow blasted him before he stepped foot in Texas, put him on a short leash and outcasted him. That is the yin and the yang of it. He is compelled to test boundaries. If you tell Avery to not act like an ass, he will act like an ass. If you treat him like a man, he acts like a man. Maybe that's an immature mentality for an adult, but I can't think of a better description for the Stars' behavior either.

Supposedly Upshall might be the odd man out in Philly because his contract status and the glut of forwards. I'll say this: the Philly management has balls, if they want someone they will find a way (right Roenick, and that goes for how that got him and shed him). If, and its a big if, they can add Schnieder, Avery and a true #1 goalie, watch out. And it can happen too by moving Biron, Briere and Upshall.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 06:33 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Did he now? Let's not kid ourselves. Sean Avery is a heck of a lot more of a hockey player than Aaron Voros. Better skater, alot better agitator, better hands, better awareness, well, better at pretty much everything, including getting in trouble unfortunately.
Avery replaced Hollweg then Voros replaced Hollweg but I'd agree with you, Voros never replaced Avery.

Doesn't both Philly and Dallas need help on the blueline?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 07:49 PM
In The Flesh

I'd welcome Avery back with open arms.

Sean going to philly would be horrible.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 08:02 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Philly fans will hate it at first but he is exactly the kind of player they love and make no mistakes, his antics would have them creaming their pants.
We kinda have an aversion to guys who are locker room problems down here, actually.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 08:22 PM
nyrmetros

Word about this spread on the LIRR last night coming back form the game. About 25 NYR fans started arguing with each other about this rumor. haha

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:58 PM
polako

Sideshow or not, I'd kill to have this guy back on the team.

The guy had more fun and displayed more energy on the ice in one week than gomez and drury have in two years.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:54 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
We kinda have an aversion to guys who are locker room problems down here, actually.
First off, I'm down there.

Second, I watched him play for 18 months and not a peep came out of the New York Rangers lockerroom concerning Avery or any distractions.

What you and every detractor are saying is exactly what every Ranger fan said prior to his arrival. That sentiment changed exactly 1 game into his New York career. Anyone that was happy to see him go cited injuries and his contract demands as their reasons at the time of his departure.

I do conceed that he can and has been a problem in lockerrooms, but I really feel that in the right situation and when handled properly, Sean Avery is a tremendous asset and he can be a real difference maker. He is a gamble but it is shortsighted to reject the notion out of hand.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:02 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

please not philly....i wasn't (and still wouldn't be) for getting avery at the money/years he demanded this summer..but if its possible (and i dont even understand if it is with the stars situation) at the right price id love to have that man back on my team

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:07 PM
eph1413*

Don't the Flyers already have to shed some salary to take Briere off LTIR when the time comes?

Anyway, not a Rags fan, but live in NY and watch the games. Would love for Avery to come back to NY. Team needs a spark of some sort and Renney & Drury don't seem to have pulses.
On re-entry, not counting this season (which I think could fit), that's $1.9375 million/year for 3 years. That's more than a million/year less than Sather offered in July, correct?
For the Stars, it would probably make more sense than buying him out as well. Re-entry, they would waste $1.9375 million/year for 3 years. With a buyout, they'd waste $1.33 million/year for 6 years.

I know there are issues with him, but I don't think he's gone any further off the deep end than he had last season. He made a stupid comment that everyone got way too offended by.
Rangers could use more of a sniper, but those are going to cost. Avery will cost very little and could be of some use for a dull Rangers team.

Just my 2 cents.

eph1413* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:33 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Seriously not happening (I hope). I hope he gets back into the NHL and is accepted by a team somewhere, but not in Philly we already have an agitator, and he gets along with his teammates.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote