HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to rebuild? Discuss...

View Poll Results: At the trade deadline, What direction would you likes to see the rangers take?
Sellers, Full rebuild. Get picks/prospects and young players. 35 40.70%
Buyers, Let make us a better team now. Trade away young talent for older, better players. 6 6.98%
stay in the same direction. A mix of young talent and vets.Staying competitive and slowly rebuild 45 52.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Time to rebuild? Discuss...

So, as the trade deadline approaches we have to decide if we are going to be a buyer, seller or just do nothing.

This sparked the thought so I must give credit where credit is due.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenator1 View Post
Most years there are a bunch of teams out of it, who trade players for picks/prospects to contenders and contender wanna-bes. Usually they are UFA to be, sometimes not.

This year, the west is tight in the lower standings, last place St Louis is only 6 points out of 8th, all other teams are within 4 points of 8th.

In the east, Toronto, Tampa, Ottawa, Atlanta, and the Islanders look to be done.

Lets assume the west stays tight, or gets even tighter at 8th and below.

That leaves 5 teams, the Eastern doormats who are sellers, and want to trade Antropov, Kuba, Comrie, etc., for futures.

That would leave 25 teams that think they can at least make the playoffs in the NHL.

5 sellers, 25 buyers.

I know Florida might trade JayBo, and other contenders might move UFAs to be, but those won't be purely for prospects / picks, as those teams want to win now and will want players that are good now, along with a pick perhaps.

Does this drive up the cost of players (which has been stupid in recent years where Hossa gets a boatload, and even Rivet gets a first and an alright prospect) ?

Have there been other years in the past with a conference like the west this year / no team out of it ?

What will the cost be this year for players, when there is a shortage of available rentals ?
So should we be sellers? Many teams in the playoff race would want a grab players like Naslund, Rosival and if we are lucky, Gomez. The way we have been playing it's fairly obvious we are not getting past the 2nd round without tremendous luck and a red hot franchise goalie. The return we could get on these players with such big sellers market could really help us in the future and with future contracts to hold onto some of our up-coming UFA's this year and next. Also, We could take a chance and sign another big free agent if we really wanted to in the off-season if the price is right to help fill the 1st-line void. (This is New York, Many players want a chance to play here in the biggest stage on earth)

Discuss....

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:04 PM
turcotte8

I would love it if we could trade Gomez and Redden,maybe Naslund. Even if just for picks. I know it's not likely.
But we'll probably do what the last we've done the last few years, swap around some 4th line players with the hope of being a cup contender and get eliminated in the first or second round.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Sellers? Hardly. This team is in second place. No team has EVER been a seller that was in second place in their div, going into the trade deadline..

If that wjere the Rangers are going into the first week of March then selling is not an option imo..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Sellers? Hardly. This team is in second place. No team has EVER been a seller that was in second place in their div going into the trade deadline..

If that wjere the Rangers are going into the first week of March then selling is not an option imo..
So, what do we do?

We do nothing, we don't get past the first two rounds alive. We have an above average team with TOP goal tending. However, we don't have enough line chemistry to compete with the best.

Buyer - Well, we strangled ourselves with the cap so it will be very hard improve without moving big contracts and trading away top picks which we need to refill our prospect pool.

Sellers - We could get HUGE returns on players that would have much less value any other time of the way. Players we can most likely replace in the free agency is necessary. We wouldn't make it out of the first round this way but it would give us a much brighter future.

Old
02-04-2009, 09:13 PM
NYReign

If we could get any kind of decent return (in addition to the major cap relief which is the real bonus) I would be all for it, but I can't say I'd get my hopes up for this. If I had my choice of options, I would say the most important thing is get to the playoffs no matter what, where we can at least hope that Henrik gets hot and something amazing happens. However, if we could trade away some high priced guys for younger players and picks, I would be happy with that too. We've gotten this far without any scoring so maybe we can sneak into the playoffs anyway if our defense stays strong /pipe dream

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
I'd love to see us go down the sellers route but is there a chance of it happening? no chance.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:16 PM
ThisYearsModel

The last thing that Jimmy-Boy Dolan wants is a sell-off. He wants rear ends in the seats.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
OverTheCap

About 5 years too late for a proper rebuild, and the Rangers are not going to rebuild with Lundqvist entering his prime.

Sather has 3 options:

1) Admit he made some mistakes and attempt to trade 1 or more of the Big 4 in attempt to acquire some top 6 forwards, prospects, or picks.

2) Put Renney & Co. on the hot seat and tell them to develop a system that can maximize the potential of our underachievers and fix the PP because the players aren't going anywhere. If this fails, then Renney is gone and a new coach is hired.

3) Exercise patience and stay the course. Stick with the current roster and coach and wait until the summer to make any decisions about the team.

Option 3 is what he's going to do. He will not rebuild now and he is too proud to admit he made any mistakes in signing free agents.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Why bother discussing something that will never happen as long as Sather is President and GM? Sather is gunning for a Stanley Cup, he's not going start another rebuild either at the trade deadline or over the summer. He's not going to dump free agents he's signed in the last 2 years for draft picks. Period, end of story.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
The last thing that Jimmy-Boy Dolan wants is a sell-off. He wants rear ends in the seats.
This.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Voted for the third option. Given the albatross contracts this team has, it is impossible to go into full rebuild mode at this time. The Rangers should have started the rebuild the moment after the lockout ended, but the emergence of Lundqvist directly prevented that from happening.

They should have started to rebuild after this past offseason (in my opinion of course), and build around what the team already has. Now they are in cap trouble for the foreseeable future. I'm curious to see what Sather will do in the coming offseasons, as I truly believe it will be the focal point in determining how Sather's tenure as GM will be remembered.

In short, the moves Sather made post lockout make it impossible for the team to go into a full rebuild for the next 5 years or so.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zaius

this team will never rebuild. especially with our current contracts.

zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:22 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
So, what do we do?

We do nothing, we don't get past the first two rounds alive. We have an above average team with TOP goal tending. However, we don't have enough line chemistry to compete with the best.

Buyer - Well, we strangled ourselves with the cap so it will be very hard improve without moving big contracts and trading away top picks which we need to refill our prospect pool.

Sellers - We could get HUGE returns on players that would have much less value any other time of the way. Players we can most likely replace in the free agency is necessary. We wouldn't make it out of the first round this way but it would give us a much brighter future.
The Rangers will try to add some sort of scoring potential to their top six forwards IF the price is deemed reasonable.

Wouldn't be suprised to see the Rangers also try to add a offensive D-man again if the price is right.

Don't think they can do both.

Dream all you want but you will not see Gomer, Redden , Naslund traded for picks.
at the deadline.

What GM would say, with their team in second place "well we were going to lose in the first round anyway so I cleaned house."

Disclaimer: this opinion is based solely on the Rangers not going 0 for February.....

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 02-04-2009 at 09:35 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I want Sather to buy. But the right kind of buy.

I want the Rangers to move one of Sanguinetti or Del Zotto in a package that brings in some elite scoring skills. If that means Gomez or Drury have to go than so be it, but you have to give to get and the Rangers have two excellent D prospects that kind of fit the same role.

Prucha, Dawes, Sjostrum are all easy to let go but have little value alone...or together for that matter...

If I'm a GM and Sather calls I ask for Staal and Dubinski, Girardi. When Sather say no I ask for Callahan, Korpikoski and Grachev, Sanguinetti, Del Zotto, Anisimov, Wiikman.

You have to give to get.

02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post

Disclaimer: this opinion is based solely on the Rangers not going 0 for February.....

If they go 0 for February I hope they go 0 for March as well.

Than I change my vote to SELL SELL SELL

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
I want Sather to buy. But the right kind of buy.

I want the Rangers to move one of Sanguinetti or Del Zotto in a package that brings in some elite scoring skills. If that means Gomez or Drury have to go than so be it, but you have to give to get and the Rangers have two excellent D prospects that kind of fit the same role.

Prucha, Dawes, Sjostrum are all easy to let go but have little value alone...or together for that matter...

If I'm a GM and Sather calls I ask for Staal and Dubinski, Girardi. When Sather say no I ask for Callahan, Korpikoski and Grachev, Sanguinetti, Del Zotto, Anisimov, Wiikman.

You have to give to get.
Or you can give all of your garbage away for picks and prospects and then get your own elite young talent. That is, unless you decide to draft Hugh Jessiman instead.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Bury Your Head

This team will NEVER rebuild with a guy like Sather at the helm. As soon as Jagr turned this team around after the lockout, Sather got this notion that we're 3 or 4 enormously unjustified contracts away from a Championship. For Sather, it'll be BUY BUY BUY until the day he goes BYE BYE.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:46 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Or you can give all of your garbage away for picks and prospects and then get your own elite young talent. That is, unless you decide to draft Hugh Jessiman instead.

Dont get me started on Hugh

Granted the Rangers have faired much better on draft day recently, but they are in the playoff mix. I dont see Sather selling off when he has Lundqivst. They get in, who knows what can happen....

Old
02-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
This team will NEVER rebuild with a guy like Sather at the helm. As soon as Jagr turned this team around after the lockout, Sather got this notion that we're 3 or 4 enormously unjustified contracts away from a Championship. For Sather, it'll be BUY BUY BUY until the day he goes BYE BYE.

I think the Jagr trade could be Sathers best ever. Yea he got lucky but thats the breaks. We were ALL very excited by that team. Jagr was a JOY to watch DOMINATE. ahhh those were good times. Teams FEARED the Rangers.

But we were essentially a one line threat. Our biggest need than was a puck moving D man and a bona fide 2nd line center. Rucchin was the 2nd line C that year...

Sathers answer was to sign Matt Cullen with the idea that he would step UP into a 2nd line C role. It didnt work. Renny also refused to use Cullen on the point which made that aquisition a waste of time.

You know its that ****ing Nylander who's to blame for all this mess. That's where it all started going downhill. Nylander wanting to cash in on his cushy Jagr enhanced stats...

Old
02-04-2009, 09:55 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If Sather found a way to get rid of Gomez & Redden, I'd be content.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:59 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
I think the Jagr trade could be Sathers best ever. Yea he got lucky but thats the breaks. We were ALL very excited by that team. Jagr was a JOY to watch DOMINATE. ahhh those were good times. Teams FEARED the Rangers.

But we were essentially a one line threat. Our biggest need than was a puck moving D man and a bona fide 2nd line center. Rucchin was the 2nd line C that year...

Sathers answer was to sign Matt Cullen with the idea that he would step UP into a 2nd line C role. It didnt work. Renny also refused to use Cullen on the point which made that aquisition a waste of time.

You know its that ****ing Nylander who's to blame for all this mess. That's where it all started going downhill. Nylander wanting to cash in on his cushy Jagr enhanced stats...
It's sad but true. Had Nylander signed a 2 year deal, Jagr would have probably put up his 80 points and the two would still be on broadway today (along with Straka). Last year the team would have probably gone further as well and we wouldn't be in as much of a mess with these two huge contracts for players who aren't worth the price.

Old
02-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Hahaha sadly that is true. CANT blame him but it's true.

Wasn't he asking for 4mill?

Old
02-04-2009, 10:03 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Hahaha sadly that is true. CANT blame him but it's true.

Wasn't he asking for 4mill?
I believe so, but it wasn't so much the money as the length. I believe that he wanted 4 years and Sather wasn't willing to invest that much into him. He knew that Jagr would be around for one maybe two more seasons and who knows how Nylander would have been without Jagr on this team. So they let him go.

Old
02-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I believe so, but it wasn't so much the money as the length. I believe that he wanted 4 years and Sather wasn't willing to invest that much into him. He knew that Jagr would be around for one maybe two more seasons and who knows how Nylander would have been without Jagr on this team. So they let him go.
At least he has some sense. 4 years was way too much.

2 - 3 years max. he would be a bad contract on the later years...

Old
02-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Yes it was the length not the girth.