HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Derek Morris

Old
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Maybe you misinterpretted what I was saying.

If the Coyotes are in the top 8 (or a few points out) come the trade deadline, I would hang onto Morris however if their current slide continues and they fall to 8 or more points out of a playoff spot, you may as well get what you can for him.

In my opinion, if they fall to 8 or more points out of a playoff spot, they gotta rely on help from around the league to get in. These 4 games since the All Star break will be remembered.

I WOULD NOT throw away their 1st rounder in this draft for some UFA help that may or may not get them a mere 2 or 3 home games in the playoffs.

Enlighten me, which UFAs do you have in mind? Perhaps my stance could be swayed!!!

I don't think their chances of getting in would be greatly diminished if they could get the previously mentioned Parent in a deal. Highly unlikely though unless the Flyers brass covet what Morris has to offer.

Those playoff games would be of huge importance to the growth of the youngsters. The next 2 weeks will reveal what direction the team is headed.
Fair enough. If we are way out of it at the deadline, and Morris is clearly moving on, after the season, then we should deal him.

As far as adding. I'd do it right now and try to alleviate this awful tailspin. A total meltdown would be disasterous for everybody at this point in time. I think right now is the time to try and do something to turn this thing around. The team looks like a bunch of drowning victims out there. Desperate, and flailing about. We have to do something to get this offense going, and straighten out that power play.

What can be done? I have no idea. A far as trades are concerned, we are very limited in what we can do because of our budget situation. Short of waiting for another gift from the waiver wire, we are going to have to give to get. Good players on cheap contracts will cost valuable assets.

One player I think would be a very, very good fit is Doug Weight. While he has a high cap hit at four million, making him less attractive to teams with high payrolls, his actually salary is very low, at less than two million dollars. More than half of which as already been paid, so it's actually more like half to three quarters of a million. His pending UFA status probably makes him less attractive to teams not in contention. Therefore, contending teams close to the cap will probably look at other options first, as will teams building more for the future. The lower the demand, the less he should cost to acquire. Thus, making him a decent target for a team like us. Desperate to improve right away, but with no money to do so, although having plenty of depth in future assets with which to pull from. Likewise, the Islanders seem to be pretty good trade partners. They are looking to add exactly what we have more than our fair share of. Young players, prospects, and draft picks.

So what might make sense? I'm not entirely sure on what Weight's value would be. I would guess somewhere between a low first round pick and a high second round pick. We will probably end up with a mid first round pick, which could be a little much to give up for a 38 year old pending UFA. Though, one name comes to mind that seems like a good fit. Nick Ross. We just recently drafted him late in the first round of 2007. The Isles do not look particularly strong as far as defense prospects go, and Ross is a good one. He was worth a late first, a couple of drafts ago, and has probably only improved his stock. Since being traded to the Vancouver Giants earlier this season, he's put up something like 10 points in 13 games. Perhaps the Isles might be interested in acquiring him for Weight. I don't really know.

It does seem like Weight would be just what the doctor ordered, for us, though. A guy who could really settle down our powerplay, he has 20 pp points, so far, this season. To put that into perspective, our top three pp points leaders are Doan with 14, Jokinen with 14, and Jovanovski with 12. He is also ahead of the rest of his teammates, with exception to Streit(22pp pts), by a good margin. I also think he'd be a great fit at even strength. He may be that perfect playmaker to finally Peter Mueller going.(Kyle Turris isn't ready for those minutes, and let's face it, Jokinen likes to shoot). Weight and Pete play a similar, more cerebral game.

I think we can afford to move Ross. Especially if we hang onto our first rounder. This draft is deep with defenseman. Likewise, I think we can afford to part with our first. Especially if we hang on to Ross, who is a great prospect with very good upside. Whether or not either would be enough to get Weight, I don't know. I think it would be at least worth considering, though. I want to make the playoffs. The only way we are going to accomplish that is if our offense, especially our power play, improves drastically. I think Doug Weight could really help out in that regard. So what's that worth to us? I don't really know.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
mmfs*

Addiction is probably the biggest homer on this forum and he's 12 years old.

/ignorelist

mmfs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:25 PM
iceless
-`ღ-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Phoenix is no were near going under. Gary Bettman went on NHL Live last week and said that the Phoenix Coyotes will go nowwhere. Also the NHL awarded the Coyotes the 2011 All-Star game so they arent leaving.
Correction: The Coyotes go nowhere as long as Bettman remains commish.

I long for the day he's canned and hockey returns to Canada (it's rightful home).

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 07:15 PM
JorgeRocks!

To Calgary for Mitch Wahl+

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 08:41 PM
The Depahted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Phoenix is no were near going under. Gary Bettman went on NHL Live last week and said that the Phoenix Coyotes will go nowwhere. Also the NHL awarded the Coyotes the 2011 All-Star game so they arent leaving.
Well, they are almost bankrupt... they have a pretty negative revenue if I recall as well. If they dont gain some popularity this year they may be forced to fold as a franchise, since their arena lease evidently doesnt expire for a while. I'm not an expert on the business side of hockey but I have heard that the Yotes are in a rough place.

The Depahted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface Vimes View Post
You want a grinder? Take Gauthier. Pending UFA
You want a power play guy? Take Preissing. 2 years @ 2.75
I'd like Gauthier on the Rangers.

Voros, Prucha (RFA), and Kalinin (UFA) for Gauthier and Zeiler? or some other low payed forward.

Last edited by In The Flesh: 02-04-2009 at 09:12 PM.
In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:29 PM
captainpaxil

I threw thes around in another morris thread

asham
jones
vaananen

for

morris
winncik

or possibly

lupul
nodl
jones

for

morris
tikhonov

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
Correction: The Coyotes go nowhere as long as Bettman remains commish.

I long for the day he's canned and hockey returns to Canada (it's rightful home).
Stay classy!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote