HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preferred Playoff Opponent

Old
01-26-2009, 08:48 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think I would have to disagree with your second point. If they trade Pronger for prospects and picks in order to rebuild the team, it makes no sense at all to keep the already once retired Neidermeyer who's in the last year of his deal.

I could see them trading Neidermeyer and keeping Pronger if they feel like they are going to miss this season but have a realistic chance to make the playoffs next season. Half their roster are pending ufa's. This is the prime time to sell off and rebuild. Since Pronger is signed beyond this season, he might bring more than any of the rentals.

I see no reason for the Ducks to keep Scott of Chris departs.
My point is actually that Niedermeyer is probably going to retire at the end of the year, so they will keep Pronger. It's too much to lose both.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Golden AWe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
For a couple of games.

I'm not worried about Ovechkin.

It's players like Flash and Kozlov who need to show up.
They still did a good job and it was enough to put them past the first round. However, I'm not worried about Ovie either. It's our goaltending, penalty killing and secondary scoring that can hurt us if something.

A healthy Tom Poti is one of the musts. Another veteran defenseman wouldn't hurt either.

Golden AWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think Ero here thinks the Caps are pretenders. That they are a regular season team that can't compete in the playoffs.

Actually, San Jose is exactly like that with a track record to prove it. I am a little surprised he chose to use the Sharks as an example of what the Caps are not.

Here is where I think Ero's argument fails. The Caps record against the top 8 teams in the east is 13-3-2. If you think the Pens are going to replace one of them, then there's another 2-0-0 record to add in. I this argument about the Caps would hold more water if their record looked more like Boston's. Where they eat the bad teams alive but barely break even against the good teams. Boston is 0-2-0 vs the Caps and haven't played the Flyers yet.

In my view the Caps play a more complete game when they are up against the best teams. That would tend to indicate that they are a playoff team waiting for the playoff games and less interested than they should be in the daily drudgery of the 82 games schedule.

A final point. Theodore is an erratic goaltender. His lows are bad. However, when he is locked in he is as good as the Vezina and Hart Trophy would indicate. If Theodore brings his A game to a playoff run, he could carry the team to the cup on his own. The question of course is whether they get his A or A- or B+ game for an entire playoff run.
The B's are 18-6-4 against teams above .500 (12-3-4 vs East, 6-3-0 vs West), for a total of 40 pts out of a possible 56.

The Caps are 18-12-2 against teams above .500 (15-5-2 vs East, 3-7-0 vs West), for a total of 38 pts out of a possible 64.

So, Boston has played 28 games vs teams above .500...Washington has played 32. A four game gap (not as huge as you imply), but the B's have taken more pts in less games.

On the road, Boston is 17-5-3 compared to the Caps 11-12-2 record, which is the main reason why the B's have a 10 pt cushion (with a game in hand).

The Caps have a very good team, and have been hit hard by injuries, but the B's have as well, and strictly my homer opinion, but Boston has better goaltending and a better defensive system, which is huge come playoff time. Difference is, this year the B's can score as well. I would not plan on just walking over them if the two teams meet in the playoffs, if anything, I would say that Boston has the advantage if the standings remain the same.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
The B's are 18-6-4 against teams above .500 (12-3-4 vs East, 6-3-0 vs West), for a total of 40 pts out of a possible 56.

The Caps are 18-12-2 against teams above .500 (15-5-2 vs East, 3-7-0 vs West), for a total of 38 pts out of a possible 64.

So, Boston has played 28 games vs teams above .500...Washington has played 32. A four game gap (not as huge as you imply), but the B's have taken more pts in less games.

On the road, Boston is 17-5-3 compared to the Caps 11-12-2 record, which is the main reason why the B's have a 10 pt cushion (with a game in hand).

The Caps have a very good team, and have been hit hard by injuries, but the B's have as well, and strictly my homer opinion, but Boston has better goaltending and a better defensive system, which is huge come playoff time. Difference is, this year the B's can score as well. I would not plan on just walking over them if the two teams meet in the playoffs, if anything, I would say that Boston has the advantage if the standings remain the same.
Or you could just as easily say it is Boston's 11-2-0 record against the SE where as Washington is only 5-3-0. Boston has clearly feasted on the weak SE teams.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'm going to change my vote to... the Boston Bruins, though probably no earlier than the conference finals if they remain in the top two spots of the East (which is not by any means assured).

The matchup would not be the easiest, by any means, but board trolling would reach fantastic proportions.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/GS020407.HTM

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/GS020666.HTM

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

OK.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/GS020701.HTM

Old
01-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
I probably look like a dumb *** right now.

It doesn't matter though, the Caps have already clinched the season series.

Old
01-27-2009, 10:29 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I probably look like a dumb *** right now.

It doesn't matter though, the Caps have already clinched the season series.
LOL.

Just busting you. Every game has been close, and I am sure the playoff series would be the same way.

Just cannot imagine why anybody in CapLand would prefer to face the Bruins? I know I'm hoping another team takes the Caps out before the B's have to face them.

Old
01-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
LOL.

Just busting you. Every game has been close, and I am sure the playoff series would be the same way.

Just cannot imagine why anybody in CapLand would prefer to face the Bruins? I know I'm hoping another team takes the Caps out before the B's have to face them.
I think some of our fans want to go through the hardest possible route to the Stanley Cup. Also playoffs create rivalries. I guess Boston and Washington are starting to get something going right now(the teams and fans), and the playoffs would help it out.

Old
01-27-2009, 10:42 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
I think some of our fans want to go through the hardest possible route to the Stanley Cup. Also playoffs create rivalries. I guess Boston and Washington are starting to get something going right now(the teams and fans), and the playoffs would help it out.
I hear ya, but I'd rather get an "easier" route to the Cup, and win...than build character by going through a "tougher" route, and lose, lol.

Don't be surprised if the next Winter Classic (or the one after that) features the B's and Caps at Fenway (although Harvard Stadium would actually be a better venue).

Old
01-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
I hear ya, but I'd rather get an "easier" route to the Cup, and win...than build character by going through a "tougher" route, and lose, lol.

Don't be surprised if the next Winter Classic (or the one after that) features the B's and Caps at Fenway (although Harvard Stadium would actually be a better venue).
After 30+ years, I just want the Caps to win the damn thing.

It would be cool if it was at Fenway. The Caps and Bruins are a possibility to play each other in the Winter Classic. I think it'll be 2 American teams from the east this year. Washington-Philly, and Washington-Boston make sense from a Caps point of view.

Old
01-27-2009, 11:19 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
After 30+ years, I just want the Caps to win the damn thing.

It would be cool if it was at Fenway. The Caps and Bruins are a possibility to play each other in the Winter Classic. I think it'll be 2 American teams from the east this year. Washington-Philly, and Washington-Boston make sense from a Caps point of view.
Jacobs is one of the lead owners in the NHL (head of the Board of Govs, I believe?), and he supposedly wants the game in Boston, combined with the fact that the NHL would certainly like to make Ovechkin part of the show, and the fact that Boston and Washington are two of the largest TV markets...no brainer.

Old
01-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Jacobs is one of the lead owners in the NHL (head of the Board of Govs, I believe?), and he supposedly wants the game in Boston, combined with the fact that the NHL would certainly like to make Ovechkin part of the show, and the fact that Boston and Washington are two of the largest TV markets...no brainer.
I hope so because I want the Caps in the Winter Classic. The NHL needs Ovechkin to be in it. And add in the fact that the Caps and Bruins are 2 of the top teams in the East.

Old
01-27-2009, 11:31 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
I hope so because I want the Caps in the Winter Classic. The NHL needs Ovechkin to be in it. And add in the fact that the Caps and Bruins are 2 of the top teams in the East.
Makes sense.

I'm going to bed, some of your fellow posters seem less than enamored that we are trying to have a discussion with you guys, so adios.

Good luck the rest of the way, nice talking with you.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:42 AM
gtowncapsfan

I think that we cannot underestimate the Pens' performance in the playoffs yet. While they have not been great, they have been missing Gonchar for the entire season. They also beat the Rags last night handily, 5-2. If they get healthy, and fix some parts of their game, they could be tougher than what we have seen thus far this season.

That being said, however, if we were to choose today who to face, I would take almost any team over Philly in round 1. They are the team that is playing very well agains us right now. Here are the teams I would love to face in order of preference (first team is the one that I would most love to meet, last I would not like to meet):

Group 1, Not likely to make the playoffs:

Islanders
Atlanta
Ottawa
Toronto

Group 2: On the bubble

Tampa (8 points out of 8th spot)
Carolina (1 point out of 8th spot)
Florida (currently 8th)

Group 3: Teams I suspect may be seeds 6-8

Pittsburgh (currently tied with 8th, but Florida has 2 games in hand over them)
Buffalo (Currently 7th, and while inconsistent, will probably make it)
Rangers (Currently 4th, but Philly is only 3 points behind with 3 games in hand)

Group 4: The other 4 Teams I think will be in the top 5

Montreal
Boston (we'll be unlikely to play them early, but they top my list in this group)
New Jersey (assuming the Broudeur is back and healthy)
Philly (Who I think will win their division)

gtowncapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:48 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I don't have a preferred opponent and don't really like the mojo of this thread but we don't have a playoff thread (maybe the general viewing thread could be converted).

But I wanted to add some numbers for thought.

-We'd have to go 24-6-0 in last 30 games to catch Boston if they were to SLOW to to a .600 pace (18-12-1) and finish with 117 pts. Translation: not going to happen.

-7th and 8th place last year finished with 94 points. 20-10-0 in last 30 games leaves Pitt at 93 pts. Buffalo would need just 37 pts (18-12-1) to finish with 94 pts and ahead of Pitt and prevent us from playing Pitt in round 1.

There's a lot of season left but options are narrowing.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:30 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I finally have a preference, the Rangers.

I'm hoping Caps maintain 2nd, and the Sabres pass the Rangers (making Sabres 6th and Rangers 7th). This way if the Pens make the playoffs its most likely in 8th. Setting up Bruins vs Pens/Panthers/Hurricans, Caps vs Rangers, Devs/Flyers vs Sabres, Devs/Flyers vs Habs.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:34 PM
CapsChemist

Either of the PA teams.

Preferably the Cryers in their own building in overtime would be great.

I think we would match up best against the Pens, although our PK will have to improve for me to be comfortable.

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Devil Dancer

I want nothing to do with Pittsburgh if Gonchar is back near 100% and Therien is replaced by someone competent.

Give me Buffalo in the first. The Caps can out score them, out hit them, and out hustle them. Miller is good but not great, and that defense is soft.

Give me Buffalo!

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:27 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
I finally have a preference, the Rangers.

I'm hoping Caps maintain 2nd, and the Sabres pass the Rangers (making Sabres 6th and Rangers 7th). This way if the Pens make the playoffs its most likely in 8th. Setting up Bruins vs Pens/Panthers/Hurricans, Caps vs Rangers, Devs/Flyers vs Sabres, Devs/Flyers vs Habs.
Agreed. Them or the Habs, but the Rangers are going to be, by far, the worst team to make the playoffs (unless the Pens pull off a miraculous run here). The only thing you'd have to worry about is Lundqvist but even so you can work around that (and hopefully he'll be tired by then anyways).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Langway
Intangibles

It's hard to state a preference in terms of ideal match-ups until the trade deadline passes. Chemistry concerns aside, a few teams could look quite different in a month.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It's hard to state a preference in terms of ideal match-ups until the trade deadline passes. Chemistry concerns aside, a few teams could look quite different in a month.
Yes but its always nice to catch a team that slid down the standings instead of a team that fought its way into the playoffs in the last week or two.

I think the Rangers are that team, started off on fire and then held the top for the first 2 months or so mostly due to winning overtime and shootouts, now they aren't winning the extra point as frequently....

Not saying there is an easy series out there but I much rather win the first round, something the Caps haven't done in a long time.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote