HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CTV Story: Holy Habs, on Thursday Feb 5th @ Noon EST and @ 6pm EST

Old
02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
The whole HABs religion thingie was started by a university professor trying to get students to his class. Then media jumped on the opportunity.

A religion needs to offer a lot more : - a system of beliefs that explains the world, that helps you understand reality; - a set of values, of normative prescriptions guiding your behavior; - a sense, a purpose in life. It's hard to find that with the HABs.

My take is that many real fans actually see the habs as part of their family, as their friends (should a Hab player or Bob Gainey enter a bar, people would probably try to buy him a drink and talk hockey and not to bow and worship him as a bringer of light).

If you want to bring a scientific approach to this, it's not the philosophy/teology I'd suggest, but more sociology/social psychology, since I think the Habs are part of the group and individual identity for many Quebecers.

...or maybe an obsession for many, which would be the object of psychiatry

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Mustafa*

The teacher himself came with the conclusion that the Habs frenzy have some similarities, the Habs doesn't form a religion. When you look at it objectivly, their is almost no similarities apart from esthetic aspects.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:09 AM
number 11

what time is this on tonight?

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
what time is this on tonight?
It will air Thursday, February 5th, during the news broadcast at noon and at 6pm.

(Edited title to included time)

02-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Daniel Bigras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It will air Thursday, February 5th, during the news broadcast at noon and at 6pm.

(Edited title to included time)
Thanks, good point, I forgot to add the time.

It airs in one hour. :-)

I'm KINDA stressed.

:-D

Daniel Bigras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Sorry DB, I forgot to add 12 noon today.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Daniel Bigras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
When i see rwo Queeebecers fighting it brings tears to my eyes.
I often feel that my province is a ghetto'd society. We are always infighting, we are often very cuthroat toward each other. The only thing that brings us together is the Montreal Canadiens, or ice rain. :-)

Quote:
When i see rwo Queeebecers fighting it brings tears to my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
The whole HABs religion thingie was started by a university professor trying to get students to his class. Then media jumped on the opportunity.

A religion needs to offer a lot more : - a system of beliefs that explains the world, that helps you understand reality; - a set of values, of normative prescriptions guiding your behavior; - a sense, a purpose in life. It's hard to find that with the HABs.

My take is that many real fans actually see the habs as part of their family, as their friends (should a Hab player or Bob Gainey enter a bar, people would probably try to buy him a drink and talk hockey and not to bow and worship him as a bringer of light).

If you want to bring a scientific approach to this, it's not the philosophy/teology I'd suggest, but more sociology/social psychology, since I think the Habs are part of the group and individual identity for many Quebecers.

...or maybe an obsession for many, which would be the object of psychiatry
Quote:
The teacher himself came with the conclusion that the Habs frenzy have some similarities, the Habs doesn't form a religion. When you look at it objectivly, their is almost no similarities apart from esthetic aspects.
Good arguments guys. That's what I refer to as well. It's too easy to call the Canadiens a religion, as it's insulting to a religion to call the Canadiens one.

We are still sore from the religion canvas that was put on our society, and we use religious swear words all the time, so it's kinda easy to make the connection. But a passion is not a religion.

While I do feel it's a faith, while I do feel it's something I'm fanatic about, I don't think there's any deity involved. But it's easy to see the positive impacts the Canadiens have on us as religious ones.

For example, as we might see in the story, I might have called the Bell Center my basilica, but I also changed my mind right away and called it my second home. I don't know what they kept or not.

At first, I also thought it had many similarities with a religion, but changed my mind recently. It's more than that to me and it's less than a religion to religious people.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-05-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old
02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
Good arguments guys. That's what I refer to as well. It's too easy to call the Canadiens a religion, as it's insulting to a religion to call the Canadiens one.

We are still sore from the religion canvas that was put on our society, and we use religious swear words all the time, so it's kinda easy to make the connection. But a passion is not a religion.

While I do feel it's a faith, while I do feel it's something I'm fanatic about, I don't think there's any deity involved. But it's easy to see the positive impacts the Canadiens have on us as religious ones.

For example, as we might see in the story, I might have called the Bell Center my basilica, but I also changed my mind right away and called it my second home. I don't know what they kept or not.

At first, I also thought it had many similarities with a religion, but changed my mind recently. It's more than that to me and it's less than a religion to religious people.
Totally agree with that. We are talking about an analogy, a simple relation of similarities that do exist which makes it close. They also say car racing is a religion for Italians, even more important to them than Christianity. It,s just an analogy, nobody needs to get their panties in a bunch because the analogy is not 100% accurate. It still has a lot of similarities, which is the point of the analogy. Stating that their is no deity invoved is just ridiculous captain obvious, I mean, no duh genius. We still do worship the TEAM. That's the analogy. Get over it.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:42 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I love having the habs as my faith(or for some a religion). It doesn't give me flawed rules that someone thought of 2000 years(or more, maybe less for some other religions) and today people still hold these as important. The best part about having a hockey team to follow and praise is that I choose to do this. I don't have to go to the BC and watch a game, I don't have to watch the games on TV, but I want too.

Religion in this day and age needs to adapt to the changes in the world. We should no longer fear our neighbors and those different then us. See that's where I find great similarity between sport and religions, is that we fight battles with those not with us and go to war in the playoffs, quite like people do on behalf of religion. But in sports no one is dying.

I would much rather have "the rocket" as my hero since I actually saw how he united a population(I didn't see as I am only 23, but some did and I at least got to read about it from someone who was alive when he did it), then read about some religious figure head and his story from 2000 years ago.

People can believe whatever they want, that's what's great about being human in a country where everyone has the right to believe what they want. In the end, I know where I stand. The habs are probably one of the most important things in my life today, will that hold true forever? i sure hope so, but I don't know what tomorrow bring. So is it my religion, not really, but sure does make for interesting conversation when someone asks(because sincerely for me religion offers me nothing but lies and rules, which I don't need. Unfortunately I can see that some people do need this, they need a path to walk on, I prefer finding my own way.)

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Daniel Bigras

Oh
My
God

They used all the footage I was not crazy about..

My moose

My slippers

My boxers

Oh well.. One life to live..

Old
02-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I hope I didn't miss it. I'm watch CTV, but they show nothing of the habs thing...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I can't see ****, Bigras, you're a fraud!

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
still nothing did i miss it?

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
hah just it nice one man

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Daniel is badass...his view is the bell centre

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Missed it,any chance it replays ?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I've been watching CTV and didn't see anything...

****, I thought it was on any CTV, not just CTV Montréal.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I didn't get to see it either. Hopefully it will pop up on youtube and someone will post it.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Anybody Youtube this? I'm looking at you, Daniel.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Daniel Bigras

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pissed!

I recorded the HD channel in order to get the best picture quality and they didn't show it! It only played on the normal channel, cuz the HD channel is Toronto mostly.

I didn't record the normal channel, but a friend did. I should receive it shortly. Unless someone else did record it?

I should receive a copy shortly.. Damnit..