HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help with backward skating

Old
02-01-2009, 07:47 AM
night-timer

vCash: 500
Can anyone recommend good drills to help me improve my speed during backward skating? I am also looking for drills that will help me perfect my backwards cross-overs. One player recommended practicing big C-cuts.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Q038

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
Can anyone recommend good drills to help me improve my speed during backward skating? I am also looking for drills that will help me perfect my backwards cross-overs. One player recommended practicing big C-cuts.
Quote:
figure 8's helps for both sides equally build endurance and repetitive muscle training.

Forwards to Backwards and visa versa Transition can't be over looked
6/12 drill: skate around the circles, but always face towards the same end of the arena (make sure to skate both directions equally around circles) tighten the circle as your skill increases.

Pulling a partner with a stick backwards to increase strength and balance..

Work equally on backward skating with no cross overs as well.. hip shifting while keeping your legs apart (the faster and better latteral movement you get at that, the far less you will be beat one on one, since a good forward will always try ot take advantage of a ill timed cross over)

stops and starts backwards over and over and over till you can go from a stand still to top speed as fast as you could do it forward..

im sure im missing something, but i think i covered the basics

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Ok, looking for drills....http://www.passthepuck.net

I have some drills you can use. PM me and I will recommend some to you.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Q038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Ok, looking for drills....http://www.passthepuck.net

I have some drills you can use. PM me and I will recommend some to you.

Head coach
why would you link a pay membership site with about 200 million adds flashing?

PM you so you can spend more time trying to convince him to send you money?

or is the PM about something else entirely? Your name wouldn't happen to be Graham James would it?

Head Coach needs an ethics lesson

Old
02-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24godard View Post
also, i need some help with my backwards crossovers too. im good at my backwards skating, transitions etc but i just cant crossover backwards
Well, without going into a lot of detail, which I could. Here's a great drill to use to help with backwards cross overs.

Place two hand on the cross bar of the net and pull the net backwards. By doing this, you will have more stability by pulling the net and two, be aggressive. Shift the net from side to side as you do these crossover. Do two or three crossover one way and then two or three crossovers the other way, each time shifting the net for balance.

Once you can get that balance down, then try it without the net.

Oh, and as for the site, yeah I do have a lot of ads of the main page, but those ads, I don't make a dime. I only make a dime if someone buy. The site is more of an information site rather than a get rich scheme site. Trust me, I know.

My wife keeps telling me to give it up because it cost me more what it's worth. But, I tell her that this is how I vent. It allows me to help over 700 coaches world wide with their team and also at the same time provide content.

Is there free stuff out there? You bet. All one needs to do is know where to look. If fact, here's some free stuff. http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...splay.php?f=67

Hope this helps
Head coach

Old
02-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q038 View Post
why would you link a pay membership site with about 200 million adds flashing?

PM you so you can spend more time trying to convince him to send you money?

or is the PM about something else entirely? Your name wouldn't happen to be Graham James would it?

Head Coach needs an ethics lesson
Headcoach is one of the most helpful posters I've ever seen on HF, especially in this section. I've learned a lot about playing ice hockey from reading his posts. You should bite your tongue before lashing out.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Q038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Headcoach is one of the most helpful posters I've ever seen on HF, especially in this section. I've learned a lot about playing ice hockey from reading his posts. You should bite your tongue before lashing out.
so him placing his own pay to use site as a responce to the person request for help was a helpfull thing then?

i call it as i see it. i stand by my post 100%

i got a few suggestions as to what you can bite.

Old
02-03-2009, 05:37 PM
3hirty6ix

Once you're comfortable skating backwards, try what Subban does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDbnm_IdYY

3hirty6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q038 View Post
so him placing his own pay to use site as a responce to the person request for help was a helpfull thing then?

i call it as i see it. i stand by my post 100%

i got a few suggestions as to what you can bite.
Wait, your mad because he posted a link to a site that you can pay for if you want but there is also free stuff too?

Did you look at the website or did you base your opinion after the first 3 seconds?

Plebeian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
87vert

What are some things I can use to improve my backward skating speed? I have practicing backskating but I still feel Im pretty slow. Should I just keep at it or trying something else?

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
What are some things I can use to improve my backward skating speed? I have practicing backskating but I still feel Im pretty slow. Should I just keep at it or trying something else?
Just like you improve your normal skating speed. Practice.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Bend down like you're sitting in a chair. You MUST feel the burn in your outside glutes when you're skating backward, or you won't get much power.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
I'm not sure what you've tried so far but maybe these questions will help:

1. Can you cross over skating backwards?
2. Can you pivot from forwards to backwards comfortably?
3. Do you bend forward when you skate backward or are your shoulders back and your head up?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 12:03 PM
87vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I'm not sure what you've tried so far but maybe these questions will help:

3. Do you bend forward when you skate backward or are your shoulders back and your head up?
1.) No, havent tried, I have just begun doing forward crossovers
2.) No
3.) Bent Forward

Old
02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
2.) No
3.) Bent Forward
if you lean forward you are going to be ****ed trying skating backwards. you need to stay balanced on your skates, not too much weight on your toes or heels and you have to keep a deep knee bend. picture an imaginiary line going up from your feet through your head

like in this picture (on the left)

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 12:48 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
2.) No
3.) Bent Forward
3. I think your first order of business shoud be to work on your skating posture. Keep your shoulders over your feet, not hunched over your knees. You may have to battle a fear of falling backward for awhile but once you find your balance points (proper knee bend, etc) you'll be in much better position to lengthen your stride, to cross over, to pivot or simply do what needs to be done. With better balance you'll be able to lean left or right to make wider cuts on your skates.
2. Practice your pivot. It's not often that a player will skate the length of the ice backward -- you'll switch from forward to backward either to open for a pass or to keep an eye on an opponent who's trying to score. If you can build up a good head of steam skating forward and then pivot to skate backward all you'll need is to not fall and try to maintain that momentum.

3-point turn: Skate forward. To turn clockwise step normally on your left foot and put your weight on it. Lift your right foot and turn it 180-degrees so it's pointing in the opposite direction of your left. Shift your weight to your right foot and pivot your body so both feet are pointing "backwards". Don't fall and start your c-cut stride.

Spin: To turn clockwise glide with your left foot forward. With your right foot turn your toes out (3 o'clock), hook the toe of your blade in the ice and quickly turn with your left foot. When you get 180 degrees around release and start your c-cuts.

1. Let's hold off on that conversation for a little while.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, without going into a lot of detail, which I could. Here's a great drill to use to help with backwards cross overs.

Place two hand on the cross bar of the net and pull the net backwards. By doing this, you will have more stability by pulling the net and two, be aggressive. Shift the net from side to side as you do these crossover. Do two or three crossover one way and then two or three crossovers the other way, each time shifting the net for balance.

Once you can get that balance down, then try it without the net.
this is a great drill. it really lets you get the feel for what you are suppose to be doing with out teh fear of falling down. even if you arent afraid of falling i still think its just natural to not want to fall down and skate improperly but still maintain your balance enough to not fall, thats why with the net you dont have to worry about going back to your old habbits.

when i did it i had an awesome (but pricey) instructor and he would help be balance by me holding one end of his stick and mine and him holdin the other and he would direct me and i would have to cross over. i was flying and with time it became more comfortable to do it and not feel like it was some thing out of the ordinary and became natural

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Headcoach

Quote:

Well, learning how to skate backwards should be taught in a progression....should be!

So lets talk about the progression side of it.

Step One

First:Stand on the goal line or Blue line where your body is facing perpendicular to the line. Which mean your body will be facing down in. What I want you to do is start at one side with your body next to the boards and you are going to walk down the line putting one skate up and over the other skate. Kind of like a crab walking side ways.

Now, I know this sound easy, but it not. Your balance needs to be kind of perfect to make this happen. When you pick that foot up and try to step over the leading foot, you body is not going to want to move that foot over the other.

The way you make this work is to allow that lead skate to roll over on it side. This rolling over on it's side will allow you to land the skate that is coming up and over to set down on the ice.

Now, I have heard that they do things differently in Europe. My European coach friend says that crossing over takes too much time. So he says he teaches his kids to just bring one skate closer to the other and make sure that the players is on his toes during the crossover.

However, I feel this is for an advanced player. Once you have the crossover under your belt, then we can talk about doing it on your toes. This concludes the first step in the progression.

Step Two.

First: Lets talk about posture. Just like the rest of the poster's said, you need to bend your knees almost to the point where you are sitting on a chair, with you shoulders and head up. We have a saying here at the rink..."you look at your toes, you end up on your nose!"

Second: Start at a circle. Place one skate on the circle line. We will call this the inside skate because this is the skate that is closest to the center of the circle.

Now, with one skate on the circle, the other skate needs to be place so that the toes is touching the inside skate with the heel out.

Third: The next thing you are going to do is balance your full weight on the inside skate and with the outside skate you are going to push with the ball of your foot in an outward motion, you are going to make a "C" motion with that out side skate.

This sound easy, but it is not. The main thing you want to concentrate on is proper edge work.

Now, first, the "ball of the foot" is where the toes meet the foot. This is area on which you want to add weight to the foot during this "C" motion.

Now, this "C" motion, you will get to the point in the apogee where you will not have any more driving force to propel you backwards.

At this point, you need to turn the direction of the skate back to the inside skate and start the process all over again. It should look like a onesided flat football.

Make sure you have this edge work down in both directions before you move on.

Step Four

Now we want you to place that out side foot on the circle. This mean that the inside skate will be closer to the center of the circle. With that inside skate, you are going to pick it up and place the skate about 12 inches away from your outside skate that is now on the circle.

Then you are going to use that inner groin muscle to pull your body towards that inside skate. When you move that inside skate out, away from the outside skate by 12 inches, you are going to place your toe on the ice and then use that groin muscle to move your body towards the inside skate and that toes. Make sure you dig into the ice with that toes.

Now, if you have too, just move that skate out to 8 inches if you feel too much strain on your groin. Then once you are using the muscle and it is getting easier, then move out to 12 inches.

Now, remember the first section where you were walking down the line side ways like a crab? This is the next phase or step in the progression.

As the outer skate makes the "C" cut and you are balancing the weight on the inner skate, you are going to make this first complete cross over the inside skate.

This is the first transition point from from "C" to moving the inside skate out to 12 inches. Once you make that cross over, move the inside skate out by several inches and pull in.

As you pull in, the majority of the weight will be on this leg. At the point where you are brining this inner leg back, bring the outside skate, up and over the inside skate and start the "C" cut. How you have completed one cycle.

Now, as you go faster backwards, centrifugal force will make you want to go away from the circle. This is just part of the laws of physics.

To compensate for this, all you have to do is lean into the circle. The more you lean, the tighter the circle.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Head coach

Old
02-06-2009, 12:01 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

In my experiences, backward skating is a component of two things, agility and forward skating. As those two factors improve, your backward skating will improve too. So in order to get better at backward skating, Confucius say work on other stuff too...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:25 AM
87vert

I went out and practiced the other day for about an hour, I can now do forwards to backwards pivots pretty well turning to my left, still a little shakey on backwards to forwards. and turning to the right.

Old
02-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Headcoach

Quote:
I went out and practiced the other day for about an hour, I can now do forwards to backwards pivots pretty well turning to my left, still a little shakey on backwards to forwards. and turning to the right.
Ok, as for "Backwards to Forwards" it's almost the same as Forwards to Backwards minus one step. Let me explain....

When you are skating forwards and you want to do a 180, you use what is know as a "Heel to Heel Pivot"

Lets say we want to turn towards our right. You balance the weight on your left leg with your knee bent. Then you pick up that right leg and turn the skate 180 degrees in the air, while you are still balancing in that left leg.

Once you set this right leg down, your Heels will be touching. You will kind of look like you are "Bow" legged at this point. You want to transfer the weight to both legs.

Then, once you make the weight transfer shift all of the weight to the right leg and bring the left leg back parallel with the other skate. Now you are skating backwards.

Now, In Europe, some players don't do this. It takes too much time. So they, hop, turn 180 in the air and land back down. But you must have great balance to do this. I have posted many threads on this forum on how to do this.

Now, for turning backwards to forwards, you simply step out. Which means, you just do the opposite. You heel to heel pivot out. It feel easier because it seems more natural. Where as going front to back, there's that concern of weight transfer and bending your knees like you are sitting on a chair.

Where back to front, you are in the process of standing more upright. However, try not to stand up. If you make this trasition from front to back, you want to keep those knees bent for speed.

A good drill to try is, going into a cross over when you come out of that backward skating for a burst of speed.

Hope this helps
Headcoach