HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney not happy with todays practice

Old
02-05-2009, 07:55 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Our schedule - which is not too hair-raising imo - is now as follows for February:

Feb 6 @DAL
Feb 9 @NJ
Feb 11 WAS
Feb 13 @FLA
Feb 15 PHI
Feb 16 @STL
Feb 18 NYI
Feb 21 @BUF
Feb 22 TOR
Feb 25 @TOR
Feb 26 FLA
Feb 28 COL

After the Washington game on the 11th (pending no injuries or trades of course) - I would try to bring up AA for another stint on the squad until the end of the month. This would be my "playing lineup" (with Orr and eventually Voros filling in when necessary) for a few games against on paper weaker opposition:

Näslund - Gomez - Zherdev
Dawes - Drury - Prucha
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Korpedo
Sjöström - Betts - Callahan

Voros, Orr

After watching this and hence the results (allowing a bit of patience) - one can make some very nice conclusions of what is eventually necessary from acquiring from the outside at the deadline - as we then have run out of options experimenting with all combinations of our present player park.

This would provide a more offensive sparked and balanced lineup - question is what the results would be under "THE SYSTEM".Thoughts?

Last edited by BBKers: 02-05-2009 at 08:03 AM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:19 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Just finished reading Lohud, and I am amazed at Renney's comments about Prucha's sustainability.

He basically said the best conditioned athlete on the team can't take the pounding.

Actually its because you don't play him a LW you nimrod. You moved him to the right ona struggling line and then benched him when the entire team plays bad.

That's called bad coaching. And making them all skate sprints doesn't change a thing about your carpy system.

Sit Orr, put Voros on the 4th line and let PRucha play LW with Dubi and Zherdev, where he prospered.

I can't wait for him to get fired.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I can't believe som would rather have Tortorella, who gets mad and throws a childish hissy-fit whenever things dont go his way. He cant even handle the media with maturity.

Kid never grew up, i'd never want that attitude teaching the rangers and especially Zherdev.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:16 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I can't believe som would rather have Tortorella, who gets mad and throws a childish hissy-fit whenever things dont go his way. He cant even handle the media with maturity.

Kid never grew up, i'd never want that attitude teaching the rangers and especially Zherdev.
This is the one area where I disagree with most other fire Renney folks (although I agree with you, Fitzy). No question Renney should be gone, but it's all about the game strategy, the line combos and who he gives ice time, not his vanilla personality.

Would a coach who gets a little more fired up be nice? Sure. I'd like to see a bit more personality, a bit more variety in emotional response and a bit more of an animated approach in engaging the refs. Honestly, Mike D'Antoni for the Knicks has exactly the demeanor I'd like to see in just about any coach.

But I don't think this team necessarily needs a Billy Martin or (old) Tom Coughlin to play up to their potential. It's not like they're not working hard or following directions. They're working very hard at what Renney tells them to do. And what he tells them to do is 10x more the problem than his reserved personality.

Having said that, if we get a screamer in here who plays an agressive speed-based forechecking game, I'll have no problem with it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
BroadwayLocal

Nobody is scared of Renney. If anything, I think he's gripped with fear.

He's not a complete coach - he's not going to have a complete team.

He'd be great in Nashville, Cbus... someplace where making the playoffs is good enough.

I just think he's too stuck in his head. He's too cerebral. Not enough real intensity. And, I think the players are turned off by this, which is not to say they are loafing, but just not inspired.

Maybe this is not the case, but something is lacking. Are the Rangers all 2nd and 3rd liners at best? Maybe. But I think with the right setting, including coaches, I'll bet they would overachieve.

BroadwayLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 12:07 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

I'm not looking to fire Renney, but if we did, Tortorella would be my prime candidate for replacing him. Him or Laviolette. No thanks to Quinn or Crawford.

He was good enough to win a Stanley Cup, something I don't see Tom Renney ever doing.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayLocal View Post
Nobody is scared of Renney. If anything, I think he's gripped with fear.

He's not a complete coach - he's not going to have a complete team.

He'd be great in Nashville, Cbus... someplace where making the playoffs is good enough.

I just think he's too stuck in his head. He's too cerebral. Not enough real intensity. And, I think the players are turned off by this, which is not to say they are loafing, but just not inspired.

Maybe this is not the case, but something is lacking. Are the Rangers all 2nd and 3rd liners at best? Maybe. But I think with the right setting, including coaches, I'll bet they would overachieve.
Yeah, a fanbase that missed the playoffs for 7 years before he got here really isn't 'into' just making the playoffs.

And we also don't covet smarts, all that thinking gets in the way of making this team a winner. Cause afterall, 2nd and 3rd liners are ripe candidates to overachieve in a more wide open, unvanilla-like system

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 12:20 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Back on to the topic of Renney's punishment practice:

Does this feel to anyone like when ARod came to camp a couple of years ago and made a conscious effort to all of a sudden start cursing like a crazy person in a bizarre attempt to seem like he was "one of the guys"/"a regular guy"?

This just feels like Renney making a forced attempt to address the criticisms of him as too vanilla and too laid back. Frankly, I wasn't at the practice, but watching the Atlanta game, I thought the team WAS working hard - it's just that what Renney has them work hard AT is not condusive to winning games. So what does he do? Stages a tirade to make it seem like he's more of a hardass. Hell, Tortorella could coach this team, be a genuine hardass, but have them play Renney's 1-2-2 trap and they wouldn't score any more than they do.

Old
02-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
This just feels like Renney making a forced attempt to address the criticisms of him as too vanilla and too laid back.
People are crazy if they think any of the players were actually "shaken up" by his "punishment practice".
Or came away thinking "we really need to respond to this, the coach is pretty pissed".
They were probably all laughing together about his little act after the practice was over.
This guy is not taken seriously.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Markus starting to get a little rebelious?

Anyone get the sense that Markus Naslund is beginning to voice a little discontent with the coach? Right on the heels of yesterday's quote:

Quote:
If Tom thinks we're not scoring because of a lack of effort, I guess that's why he asked us to skate.
We get this report from the lohud blog:

Quote:
Markus Naslund said today after practice that he’d like to see lines with a little more chemistry,
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2009/0...z-and-naslund/

Old
02-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Wow, an explosive update with huge ramifications.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Levitate

On the other hand, no line combinations have shown any chemistry!

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:31 PM
DontStepanMe

That's it Renney is officially the most retarded coach ever.

Voros on the FIRST LINE. great. Lets take a player who's game is regressing w/ each game passing and reward him w/ more ice time.

I am almost at the point where I hope this team loses 15 games straight by the score of 1-0 so we can fire renney for his ineptitude. I absolutely hate him.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:35 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Back on to the topic of Renney's punishment practice:

Does this feel to anyone like when ARod came to camp a couple of years ago and made a conscious effort to all of a sudden start cursing like a crazy person in a bizarre attempt to seem like he was "one of the guys"/"a regular guy"?

This just feels like Renney making a forced attempt to address the criticisms of him as too vanilla and too laid back. Frankly, I wasn't at the practice, but watching the Atlanta game, I thought the team WAS working hard - it's just that what Renney has them work hard AT is not condusive to winning games. So what does he do? Stages a tirade to make it seem like he's more of a hardass. Hell, Tortorella could coach this team, be a genuine hardass, but have them play Renney's 1-2-2 trap and they wouldn't score any more than they do.
I see a lot of responses to posts like this one as "reading too much into things" or "it doesn't make a difference"...

You and I think stuff like this matters. I believe every single time Renney does something like this or yells at his team it is forced. He genuinely doesnt like confrontation and being harsh on players. Its easy to tell. Its well noted hes a players coach, and that is in itself the problem. Why do you think he always sits Prucha? Because he takes it well. This all goes back to the points i bring up at the start of this thread. He has no balls, its not in him to be a "genuine hardass" like you say, you couldn't be more on point with that.

But, we both understand that he does a good job in other areas of coaching, but this one flaw has crept into the systems and decision making of this team. Hes done a good job, but not good enough. Especially the last few months, the lack of killer instinct has reverberated through his decision making and lack of true self confidence to the team. There is an indecisiveness on the powerplay, in the offensive zone and all over the rink because they are too concerned about defense. You cant play this game that way.

Not only is there indecisiveness on the team, but every time Renney makes a lineup. Hes constantly switching lines and trying every combination possible, when all he preaches is patience in the system. He totally contradicts himself there. Once again with Voros.... WHY? He does a horrible job leading by example, and the laid back, overthinking, passive, non-attacking approach the Rangers so deftly execute on a nightly basis is a reflection of their coach.

THAT is why this holds meaning.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
That's it Renney is officially the most retarded coach ever.

Voros on the FIRST LINE. great. Lets take a player who's game is regressing w/ each game passing and reward him w/ more ice time.

I am almost at the point where I hope this team loses 15 games straight by the score of 1-0 so we can fire renney for his ineptitude. I absolutely hate him.
Naslund was most effective in Vancouver when he had big bad Bertuzzi on his off-wing. I'd imagine that's what he's going for here. Of course Voros is nowhere near good enough to skate with either of them, but who else is he going to put there?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Naslund was most effective in Vancouver when he had big, bad Bertuzzi on his off-wing. I'd imagine that's what he's going for here. Of course Voros is nowhere near good enough to skate with either of them, but who else is he going to put there?
should have kept up Ani, and maybe try Dubi on the RW see if he could work out there.

but the flu bug is a problem.

or here's another idea to help scoring... i know this might be far fetched but here it goes.

switch to the 2-1-2 instead of the 1-2-2 or the 1-4. OPEN THE ****IN GAME UP.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Naslund was most effective in Vancouver when he had big bad Bertuzzi on his off-wing. I'd imagine that's what he's going for here. Of course Voros is nowhere near good enough to skate with either of them, but who else is he going to put there?
Players with killer instincts that are currently being stifled, just like HockeyFaceNYC says.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:46 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Players with killer instincts that are currently being stifled, just like HockeyFaceNYC says.
or maybe they need a coach w/ some killer instincts, that demands that the players play aggressive and take some risks... not a coach who benches players for taking any risks if their name isn't Gomez, Drury or Redden.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
should have kept up Ani, and maybe try Dubi on the RW see if he could work out there.

but the flu bug is a problem.

or here's another idea to help scoring... i know this might be far fetched but here it goes.

switch to the 2-1-2 instead of the 1-2-2 or the 1-4. OPEN THE ****IN GAME UP.
Arty didn't look ready for regular NHL duty.

As much as I'd like to see Dubi on that line instead, you can't do it. The Dubi - Drury - Zherdev combo was our most consistent line vs Atlanta, it'd be foolish to break them up now.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
or maybe they need a coach w/ some killer instincts, that demands that the players play aggressive and take some risks... not a coach who benches players for taking any risks if their name isn't Gomez, Drury or Redden.
You keep on believing that sunshine....

Old
02-05-2009, 01:52 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Arty didn't look ready for regular NHL duty.

As much as I'd like to see Dubi on that line instead, you can't do it. The Dubi - Drury - Zherdev combo was our most consistent line vs Atlanta, it'd be foolish to break them up now.
Voros doesn't look ready for regular NHL duty either, but that's not stopping Renney from using him either.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
You keep on believing that sunshine....
I will. and when Renney is gone and somebody else goes in and makes this team better, and more entertaining... I will put a bunch of smiles up and say I told you so to you....

than I will find something else to argue/complain about that's against what you say.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I will. and when Renney is gone and somebody else goes in and makes this team better, and more entertaining... I will put a bunch of smiles up and say I told you so to you....

than I will find something else to argue/complain about that's against what you say.
Probably

And I agree, this team will probably not win a Cup with Renney, but that has to do with personnel on the ice.

Old
02-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Voros doesn't look ready for regular NHL duty either, but that's not stopping Renney from using him either.
But he serves a different purpose than Anisimov does, so you can't compare the two.

Voros had a hot start and provides a big body in front of the net, he's not a good option, but he's really our only option.

Old
02-05-2009, 02:04 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Probably

And I agree, this team will probably not win a Cup with Renney, but that has to do with personnel on the ice.
so why are you against firing Renney if you don't think the team will win a cup under him? Considering the contracts that we are saddled w/ don't you think it would be easier to get a new coach w/ a new philosophy to see if maybe he can do better, and if he can't then try to move some of the salaries? it just seems it would be more logical to do this than try to dismantle this team.