HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Renney not happy with todays practice

Old
02-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Rags225

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
But he serves a different purpose than Anisimov does, so you can't compare the two.

Voros had a hot start and provides a big body in front of the net, he's not a good option, but he's really our only option.
so b/c of 8 games we keep him around. Voros officially has become Marcel Hossa, just w/ alot less skill and of much less importance.

The only purpose Voros serves on this team, is that of waste of space. Having a big body is good and all but if you don't have any skill or hockey sense whatsoever than what good does it do. We are better off getting a sumo wrestler and placing him in front of the goalie than.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
so b/c of 8 games we keep him around. Voros officially has become Marcel Hossa, just w/ alot less skill and of much less importance.

The only purpose Voros serves on this team, is that of waste of space. Having a big body is good and all but if you don't have any skill or hockey sense whatsoever than what good does it do. We are better off getting a sumo wrestler and placing him in front of the goalie than.
Like I said, it's because he's the only option. I'm not a fan of his in the slightest, and I'm certainly not making the argument that I want him to be in the lineup. All I'm saying is that this team needs some size up front, and for now, we have to make-do with what we've got.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:11 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
so why are you against firing Renney if you don't think the team will win a cup under him? Considering the contracts that we are saddled w/ don't you think it would be easier to get a new coach w/ a new philosophy to see if maybe he can do better, and if he can't then try to move some of the salaries? it just seems it would be more logical to do this than try to dismantle this team.
This would mean wasting ANOTHER year or two. The logical thing to do would be to come to grips with the fact that a team whose first line is Markus Naslund-Scott Gomez-Ryan Callahan (or worse, Aaron Voros), is a team built to lose.

Tom Renney realizes that the team isn't very good. Now, you can fault him for playing Voros over other players or not benching certain people, and believe me, I do blame him for all of those things.

But Tom Renney understands that this team isn't very good. It isn't very good because the players aren't very good. Sure, there are some players here and there that are good. But as a whole, the team is, as the record and all the statistics show, a mediocre team. A slightly above average team at best.

Until you get better players, that won't change.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:34 PM
OverTheCap

Ha, Markus speaks his mind by saying the lines need more chemistry so Renney punishes him by putting Voros on his line.

Really, what is Voros going to accomplish by getting first line minutes? It's not like this trio was setting the world on fire when they played on the PP together on Tuesday.

Yes, Voros is big and this team lacks size. But Voros can barely skate and he's only effective if his ass is planted in the crease, something that this team has been hesitant to do lately.

Maybe Sather will freak out when he sees Voros on the top line and realize we desperately need another top 6 winger. This is just embarrassing already when you have a 3rd liner like Cally & a 4th liner like Voros playing on the first line.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
This would mean wasting ANOTHER year or two. The logical thing to do would be to come to grips with the fact that a team whose first line is Markus Naslund-Scott Gomez-Ryan Callahan (or worse, Aaron Voros), is a team built to lose.

Tom Renney realizes that the team isn't very good. Now, you can fault him for playing Voros over other players or not benching certain people, and believe me, I do blame him for all of those things.

But Tom Renney understands that this team isn't very good. It isn't very good because the players aren't very good. Sure, there are some players here and there that are good. But as a whole, the team is, as the record and all the statistics show, a mediocre team. A slightly above average team at best.

Until you get better players, that won't change.

Sting I think you have to come to grips that we cannot move these horrible salaries. Naslund and drury both have full NMC. Redden and Gomers contracts are completely horrendous that probably nobody would want to take them unless you trade a first w/ it which defeats the purpose. We can't just banish players to the AHL b/c it would reflect poorly on us and the NHLPA would throw a fit.

so we need to see if a coach can get these players to play better, and utilize them better than our current coach is doing.

Give the coach another year. of trying. In a two years Grachev, Ani, Sangs, Zotto maybe all will be up here. Maybe they are exactly what thist team needs. Then Drury maybe will become more tradeable, same w/ Gomer and Redden b/c contracts are shorter and front loaded. who knows?

but first thing that should be tried is finding a new coach. its the easiest way, and even after a half a season you can make a better judgement if it is the players or the coach that was the problem. Just look at the Caps and what Boudreau has done.

Unfortunately the coach I really wanted was take at the beginning of the season in Quenville. But I think Lavs would do a real real good job w/ this team.

it's easier to get a new coach (and less risky) than trying to get a whole new team.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
BroadwayLocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah, a fanbase that missed the playoffs for 7 years before he got here really isn't 'into' just making the playoffs.

And we also don't covet smarts, all that thinking gets in the way of making this team a winner. Cause afterall, 2nd and 3rd liners are ripe candidates to overachieve in a more wide open, unvanilla-like system
I don't know a serious Ranger fan who isn't ready for another cup.

Over thinking kills.

A lot of people over achieve when led properly.

Last edited by BroadwayLocal: 02-05-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: I put my sentence in the quotation
BroadwayLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Not a big fan of Quenville. Wouldnt mind Laviolette though.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Nick00

This top line is going to be a train wreck.
I look forward to watching it crash and burn.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
This top line is going to be a train wreck.
I look forward to watching it crash and burn.
It probably wont even be able to pick up enough speed to crash.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:38 PM
DutchShamrock

The line will get two goals in Dallas and not a single point in the next 6 games.

Voros would be effective if he just stood in front of the net instead of 3 feet left of the crease. He doesn't need to pass, he doesn't need to shoot, and god help me he does not need to skate. If Gomez wants to shoot at the middle of the net every offensive rush we may as well put Voros in the goalie's way.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:53 PM
frozenH20

Quote:

Voros does provide a big body in front of the net. At first, it seemed to help, but now i'm not so sure. Aside from the stupid lazy penalities, i've notice Voros isn't helping much. First of all, he's slow to get to the net. Once he gets there, he doesn't have soft enough hands for deflections, the agility to get out of the way to let good shots pass through, or the speed to chase rebounds.

On several occasions, i've noticed the shots are actually hit him. With so few shots getting on net, the last thing we need is one of our own blocking them.

frozenH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think Voros actually has pretty good speed for a guy his size.

my issue with him is his horrendous board play, and his even worse balance.

What good is it having this guy go to the net when he spends 95% of hte time there on his ass after being knocked over by the breeze of pucks whizzing by him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Sting I think you have to come to grips that we cannot move these horrible salaries. Naslund and drury both have full NMC. Redden and Gomers contracts are completely horrendous that probably nobody would want to take them unless you trade a first w/ it which defeats the purpose. We can't just banish players to the AHL b/c it would reflect poorly on us and the NHLPA would throw a fit.

so we need to see if a coach can get these players to play better, and utilize them better than our current coach is doing.

Give the coach another year. of trying. In a two years Grachev, Ani, Sangs, Zotto maybe all will be up here. Maybe they are exactly what thist team needs. Then Drury maybe will become more tradeable, same w/ Gomer and Redden b/c contracts are shorter and front loaded. who knows?

but first thing that should be tried is finding a new coach. its the easiest way, and even after a half a season you can make a better judgement if it is the players or the coach that was the problem. Just look at the Caps and what Boudreau has done.

Unfortunately the coach I really wanted was take at the beginning of the season in Quenville. But I think Lavs would do a real real good job w/ this team.

it's easier to get a new coach (and less risky) than trying to get a whole new team.
I'm not looking to trade Drury (or Naslund, he'll be gone after next season), and I know no one will be stupid enough to take Redden. But someone must want Gomez, and I don't care if we have to give him away. It's not like we had to give anything up to get him. Take whatever you can get for him.

How much worse do you think this team would be without Gomez than it is with him? I'm pretty sure we can still have one of the worst offenses in the league without him. Not much is going to change.

So take whatever you can get for him, be it a player or a prospect or a pick, and take that cap space and use it to re-sign the young players and then KEEP IT FREE until a player that might actually help the team comes along.

Mind you, I would do the same with Rozsival, not because I dislike him, but because he's easier to trade than Redden.

Unless Grachev and Anisimov become bona fide first line players, nothing will change, because the team will just replace one group of second liners with this incoming groups. This cycle will continue and continue, because Sather will never allow the team to get the high draft picks it needs to get the players it needs.

It's going to be year after year of this.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:32 PM
trademasterb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i think Voros actually has pretty good speed for a guy his size.

my issue with him is his horrendous board play, and his even worse balance.

What good is it having this guy go to the net when he spends 95% of hte time there on his ass after being knocked over by the breeze of pucks whizzing by him.

To me, this team needs to rid itself of Renney first. Then get rid of Voros and Betts. Then make sure the new coach plays Orr about 10 to 15 games a year. Sjostrom might be a decent 4th line guy if he could play with two role players with a little bit of offensive game.

trademasterb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademasterb View Post
To me, this team needs to rid itself of Renney first. Then get rid of Voros and Betts. Then make sure the new coach plays Orr about 10 to 15 games a year. Sjostrom might be a decent 4th line guy if he could play with two role players with a little bit of offensive game.
Betts must have slept with ur sister or wife. Your only the person that wants him gone for no reason.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Jim Ramsay

Betts is one of the best players on this team in fulfilling his role....Expecting any more out of him is asking too much.......It's not his fault that Renney continues to play this line so much. He is what he is, I guarantee 90% of other teams would take Betts on their 4th line.

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:04 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
because Sather will never allow the team to get the high draft picks it needs to get the players it needs.

It's going to be year after year of this.
Stinger, how does Sather or any other GM dictate draft position? I find it difficult to think Don Waddell from Atlanta or Garth Snow put out an edict to their team to lose. Unless we hire Rachel Phelps from Major League. I'll take Sather over a GM who tells his team to lose. I am sure Jim Dolan enjoys the playoff game revenue he gets even if he gets only 2 games.

Sting, I do agree with you on many of your points. Like Rags has said, we have come to grips with our situation. I don't think a coaching change is going to help this team. Ted Nolan and Laviolette would be interesting but it is still the same team. Everyone always longs for Mike Keenan. Does anyone think this squad would be different under Keenan? Personally, I look at his time in Florida. He did nothing with that squad. We still lack a number one center, a top scoring winger (Zherdev is not right now), and a number one Defenseman (Staal will be but not yet, I am speaking of the present). What coach is going to come in here and all of a sudden make this team an offensive juggernaut? Most of these players are on pace for their normal output.

If anyone goes to TSN and looks at the "On Pace" statistics and compare them to their historical stats, they aren't too far apart.

I actually think Gomez can be moved. Maybe even Redden. However, we are going to have throw in a high draft pick. Lammorello traded Malakhov with a conditional 1st rounder. We have to deal with our cap space. It's time to get creative. You never know when an injury presents itself. The Caps just lost Brent Johnson for 8 weeks. That doesn't make us a match but a playoff bound team loses a D and is looking for an experienced defenseman , a second rounder and Redden? I hate the fact that we have to give up draft picks but some of the trade proposals I have read are a bit unrealistic. Teams know they would be doing us a favor removing Gomez's or Redden's salary. WE have to reward the team that is willing to take on the salary.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:23 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Not a big fan of Quenville. Wouldnt mind Laviolette though.
Isnt Quenneville coaching the Hawks to there best season in about 20 years? I could only dream of having him.

I dream of having Laviolette as well. Him Quinn or Nolan.

A offensive minded coach, we have lundqvist, we dont need to stress on DEFENSE when we have a top 5 goalie in the league on the team..if Dunham was in net still...that would be a different story.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 04:06 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Isnt Quenneville coaching the Hawks to there best season in about 20 years? I could only dream of having him.

A offensive minded coach, we have lundqvist, we dont need to stress on DEFENSE when we have a top 5 goalie in the league on the team..if Dunham was in net still...that would be a different story.
Watch us get an offensive minded coach and watch Lundqvist drop from the 'top 5' talk real quick. We'll have Ryan Miller pt. 2, until the NHL shrinks pads... then who knows what we'll be paying almost $7M a season for.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

What coach can possibly morph a team filled with 10-20 goal scorers into a team of 20-30 goal scorers?

This team isn't all Lundqvist....It's Lundqvist and the defensive system....take away either part and this team will be back to the flyline era...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote