HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Big ouch for Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Alexj4x*

vCash: 500
Big ouch for Toronto

Something stinks in Toronto
Mike Toth/Sportsnet

It's true, no man is an island. But don't tell that to the Toronto Maple Leafs, who continue to operate like they're playing in a one-team NHL.
www.sportsnet.ca

edited by Buffaloed: please follow copyright guidelines in our FAQ. Copying entire articles is not permitted without permission of the author.

Old
08-12-2004, 11:30 AM
6 String Benny

One of the best articles I've rear in a long time.Well said Toth.And thanks Alex.

Old
08-12-2004, 11:32 AM
gohabsgo613

:bonk: wake up and smell the coffee Fergie!!! your team's going nowhere!

great txt, thanks Alex

Old
08-12-2004, 11:40 AM
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
You should post it on the NHL board and on the Leaf board, to see what fans of other teams say and how the Maple Leaf fan will react.

Well I just posted it on the NHL board and I put that it was you who found the article. I hope it's ok with you or else I'll delete it.

Last edited by KLu: 08-12-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old
08-12-2004, 11:40 AM
HappyFan

So true... So true.

Old
08-12-2004, 11:45 AM
prevail

Awesome

It's true, he also forgot their so called prospects because they barely have any who will break the NHL and so many of their players will retire at once leaving them...

Old
08-12-2004, 11:52 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Mike Toth is awesome. He's the best sports anchor out there in my opinion, and his articles and opinions are always tremendously entertaining and well written. Good call Toth!

Old
08-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Alexj4x*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLu
You should post it on the NHL board and on the Leaf board, to see what fans of other teams say and how the Maple Leaf fan will react.

Well I just posted it on the NHL board and I put that it was you who found the article. I hope it's ok with you or else I'll delete it.
Lol, no problem, i took it from another board myself

Old
08-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Heh.

We'll just ignore that this article is totally stupid and makes no sense. Complaining about Kaberle's contract?

Of course you love it here because it bashes the Leafs, but that's ok...Toth is a sensfan, so we understand why he's so angry.

Old
08-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Heh.

We'll just ignore that this article is totally stupid and makes no sense. Complaining about Kaberle's contract?

Of course you love it here because it bashes the Leafs, but that's ok...Toth is a sensfan, so we understand why he's so angry.
Thanks for the input, helps me understand even better.

Old
08-12-2004, 12:45 PM
BLONG7

The Leafs and the Rangers should be both blamed for alot of the fiscal issues in the NHL.... both organizations think it's OK to spend big money because they can.

Old
08-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Guy Caballero

What's really funny is that many, many Toronto fans have the audacity to accuse Detroit of "buying" the Cup. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that complaint.

To be fair, though, I think a lot of TO fans are seeing the light now and are upset that the Leafs have chosen to go with this bunch one more time rather than scrapping it, preparing for the new CBA, and rebuilding (especially since even the New York Rangers, of all teams, seem to be doing this). Perhaps Fergie simply doesn't have confidence in his scouting staff, and with good reason. Maybe that's the first thing he should change.

Old
08-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
What's really funny is that many, many Toronto fans have the audacity to accuse Detroit of "buying" the Cup. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that complaint.
Ya but Toronto can't be accused of buying a cup, maybe accused of buying a second round loss to Philly, but not a Cup!!!!!

Old
08-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Greek_physique
Sids my *****...

vCash: 50
Wow that was a great article.

I live in Toronto, and watch Mr.Toth on Sportsnet, however I've never read one of his articles on there site.

Good read

Old
08-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Good Article... some 1 is awake in Tdot (bsides me :p)

Old
08-12-2004, 02:51 PM
RyanWhite53

Send a message via MSN to RyanWhite53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Heh.

Oh, is someone questioning the practices of the almighty Leafs? Well, they've got to be wrong, don't they?

Toth is a little over the top, but the article is honest, and I suspect, what most people outside of T.O feel.

by the way, nice input as always Cheese. I look forward to your first post that isn't unbelievably slanted in Leaf bias.

Old
08-12-2004, 03:03 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

If Mike Toth's opinion was of any value he would be working for TSN still, and not the other ran. Total rubbish as usual and if anything stinks in Toronto it's Mike Toth.

Old
08-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Legolas

I personally don't like Toth. He's too campy and goes out of his way to ad lib and make ridiculous comments that just aren't funny on the Sportsnet broadcasts and when he's on the Fan 590 in Toronto. Sometimes I suspect that Darren Millard or whomever he's working with just wants to ignore him. But, he is knowledgable....the nature of his job is such that he can't be ignorant, it's impossible.

I thought Toth was from out West and that he was an Oilers fan, but I could be confused.

Old
08-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas
I personally don't like Toth. He's too campy and goes out of his way to ad lib and make ridiculous comments that just aren't funny on the Sportsnet broadcasts and when he's on the Fan 590 in Toronto. Sometimes I suspect that Darren Millard or whomever he's working with just wants to ignore him. But, he is knowledgable....the nature of his job is such that he can't be ignorant, it's impossible.

I thought Toth was from out West and that he was an Oilers fan, but I could be confused.
I respectfully disagree with some of what you are saying. Making a living covering sports does not necessarily imply a good understanding of it, IMO. I'm sure many of us can think of examples where reporters are more concerned with selling copy than accuracy and where some reporters are frankly clueless. Witness Brad Richards' recent little spat with a PEI newspaper.

For what it's worth, I may not approve of Toth but I admire the fact that he is expressing his convictions and the fact that he is not being a sycophant. His article is a little over the top but it should give some people food for thought.

Closed Thread