HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hasek v. Roy

Old
02-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Zalos
Berktwad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader View Post
Look the real reason anyone doesnt think Hasek is better, is bias nothing else.
Eh? And I guess you don't have a bias?

Hahahaha.

Please bring better arguements, friend.

Patrick won two of these cups by himself, and that is not only my opinion, but everyone who watched the 86 and 93 playoffs.

So the *team* arguement isn't worth crap.

Patrick was a winner.

Zalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Blackfader*

Hasek for sure. I mean look at those Buffalo rosters. He WAS the team.

Blackfader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 06:45 PM
RedLeader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalos View Post
Eh? And I guess you don't have a bias?

Hahahaha.

Please bring better arguements, friend.

Patrick won two of these cups by himself, and that is not only my opinion, but everyone who watched the 86 and 93 playoffs.

So the *team* arguement isn't worth crap.

Patrick was a winner.
I'm biased from what? I have no angle(my angle is antibias though I have to admit, thinking really hard about it), you don't see the correlation between winning stanley cup and the conn smyth ?(here's an hint, there usually from the same team..)

Hasek blows Roy away in hard statistics (most important save%), individual awards(Vezina, Hart). On ice play, most people consider Hasek to be one of the most dominant player ever to play the game hence the "dominator". The 1998-1999 season is soo good it can draw comparisons to even Orr,Gretzky seasons without standing to shame.

Conn smyth is an individual award yes, but extremley limited to being the best on your own team basicly. Still a good thing to have, but not comparable to Harts.

So arguements for Hasek (statistics,vezinas,harts,dominance)

Arguements for Roy (stanley cups and conn smyth, both proven to have strong team correlation)

Last edited by RedLeader: 02-04-2009 at 07:34 PM.
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Go Habs Go

Hasek certainly has the better skill but untilmately the reason why most people play hockey is to win the Stanley Cup. Roy was a champion and he stole the 86 and 93 Stanley Cup pretty much by himself.

If you value Vezinas, stats and consistency then go with Hasek. But if you had to win the Stanley Cup and could have any goalie in their prime, what better goalie then Roy?

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Go Habs Go

For all those who think its a joke that Roy is considered, remember that Roy's best asset, what he is most remembered for is his willingness to win. Its his determination and his win at all cost mentality that makes him special. If you take that away from him or dismiss that argument then you obviously know nothing about Roy.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 07:02 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
For all those who think its a joke that Roy is considered, remember that Roy's best asset, what he is most remembered for is his willingness to win. Its his determination and his win at all cost mentality that makes him special. If you take that away from him or dismiss that argument then you obviously know nothing about Roy.
yea because hasek didn't want to win either.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 07:42 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
Orr(Hasek) or Howe(Roy).

Both Hasek and Orr had shortened careers but were the most dominating players at their position, both Roy and Howe had very long and desirable careers. Roy and Howe had the better careers, but if you want to win a game, you take Hasek and Orr.

Hasek.
hasek did not have a short career. his career was longer than roy's.

roy played from '86 to '03. roy also played the equivalent of a couple of extra seasons in playoff games.

hasek was probably the best goalie in europe starting in '86 or '87. he retired in '08.

Quote:
Hasek certainly has the better skill but untilmately the reason why most people play hockey is to win the Stanley Cup. Roy was a champion and he stole the 86 and 93 Stanley Cup pretty much by himself.

If you value Vezinas, stats and consistency then go with Hasek. But if you had to win the Stanley Cup and could have any goalie in their prime, what better goalie then Roy?
roy deserved all his smythes, but he didn't have to steal the cup.

habs' opponents in '86:
bruins: 86
whalers: 84
NYR: 78
flames: 89

the '86 habs were 6th in scoring and 4th in D. not a weak team, and especially not in comparison to those 4 teams they played in the playoffs.

habs' opponents in '93:
nordiques: 104
sabres: 89
NYI: 87
LAK: 88

the '93 habs were the top team in the NHL until march, when they slumped and fell to 6th.

the '93 habs still had a better winning percentage than the '90 oilers, the '91 penguins, the '92 penguins, the '95 devils, and the '97 DRW.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Incognito

Quote:

I agree 100%. If you're building a team to make a run at the Stanley Cup, you'd have to be crazy not to choose Roy as your goalie. His playoff wins record, his overtime record, his shutouts record, and his 3 Conn Smythe trophies speak for themselves.

What do most people find more impressive (not including Stanley Cups, because they aren't individual awards)? 6 Vezinas and 2 Harts, or 3 Vezinas and 3 Conn Smythes? Obviously, the Conn Smythe is by far the most prestigious of these three awards, followed by the Hart, then the Vezina.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote