HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Van Ryn

Old
02-05-2009, 04:00 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
If thats what you're starting with, the phone call wouldn't last long. Hell, a rental would get more than that.
I think it's a pretty solid offer. We get a slightly more developed prospect and a decent mid pick. It's pretty fair value IMO

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:04 AM
D3ADLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
$3million bucks is not a great contract for a guy that has been so injury prone lately. I like Van Ryn, but he's had a rough couple of years, and is not a $3million dollar defenseman at this point.
well if ur going to cheap shot a guy into the boards when he had a terrific start.. than its not really his fault to be injured...

D3ADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:16 AM
D3ADLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Tazer View Post
AHH... I finally get it.

And they want MORE than a second for this guy.
first of all u posted for van ryn.. now this is the nhl stuff like this happens.. Feb 3 2009 niklas hagman schooled 3 florida panthers including JAY BO b4 scoring.. so basically we should all assume he shouldnt sign for more than 2 mil coz he was beat like van ryn was.. looks like u knw ur hockey alot

Old
02-05-2009, 08:32 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsin2010 View Post
well if ur going to cheap shot a guy into the boards when he had a terrific start.. than its not really his fault to be injured...
I get that it was a cheap shot and not his fault, and I get that last year's injury was not his fault. But 40 games in two years is still 40 games in two years, no matter how he got injured. Just like Bergeron with the Bruins, I think TML would be better off keeping him because I don't see many teams willing to give up a ton for him because of his injuries/contract.

WreckItRask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:49 AM
BigG44

He played a ton of minutes last night so I guess he isn't having issues with his latest injury, right?

When did he come back?

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Cappo40*

MVR is actually a pretty solid defenceman, even with his contract..Disregard what Neely06 says..If any player gets checked from behind, whether making $3M or $300M, they are going to be injury prone after that..

Depending on if Kubina and Kabby move, I don't see him being moved as he would be the veteran presence on the back line..

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
first of all u posted for van ryn.. now this is the nhl stuff like this happens.. Feb 3 2009 niklas hagman schooled 3 florida panthers including JAY BO b4 scoring.. so basically we should all assume he shouldnt sign for more than 2 mil coz he was beat like van ryn was.. looks like u knw ur hockey alot
I forget to put the sarcasm icon and all of a sudden I know nothing about hockey?

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:29 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Tazer View Post
I forget to put the sarcasm icon and all of a sudden I know nothing about hockey?
You'll feel better after you check his post history.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
$3million bucks is not a great contract for a guy that has been so injury prone lately. I like Van Ryn, but he's had a rough couple of years, and is not a $3million dollar defenseman at this point.
3 Million doesn't buy you much.

Here is a few 3 or around 3 Million dollar Defencemen you can use as examples:

Salei-3
Stuart-3.75
Jackman-3.625
Sutton-3
Clark-3
Gleason-2.75
Carle-3.4375

There are lots more. And most of the good 3 Million range DMen are players that were locked up early in there careers when their team took a chance on the contract.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
3 Million doesn't buy you much.

Here is a few 3 or around 3 Million dollar Defencemen you can use as examples:

Salei-3
Stuart-3.75
Jackman-3.625
Sutton-3
Clark-3
Gleason-2.75
Carle-3.4375

There are lots more. And most of the good 3 Million range DMen are players that were locked up early in there careers when their team took a chance on the contract.
Wideman- $3.875
Ohlund- $3.5
Seabrook- $3.5
Ehrhoff- $3.1
Kronwall- $3
Kuba- $3
Volchenkov- $2.5
Daley- $2.3
Robidas- $2
Martin- $3.8
Jackman- $3.6

Just to clarify, I think Van Ryn is a good player when healthy, he's a huge character guy in the room, and was certainly a $3million defenseman when he signed the deal. But we're talking about trade value here, and his trade value is discernably diminished because of the injuries the last two years. Given that, and the fact that he's a good player, good leader, and great character guy, he's probably worth a lot more to the Leafs than he would be worth in a trade.

Old
02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Wideman- $3.875
Ohlund- $3.5
Seabrook- $3.5
Ehrhoff- $3.1
Kronwall- $3
Kuba- $3
Volchenkov- $2.5
Daley- $2.3
Robidas- $2

Martin- $3.8
Jackman- $3.6

Just to clarify, I think Van Ryn is a good player when healthy, he's a huge character guy in the room, and was certainly a $3million defenseman when he signed the deal. But we're talking about trade value here, and his trade value is discernably diminished because of the injuries the last two years. Given that, and the fact that he's a good player, good leader, and great character guy, he's probably worth a lot more to the Leafs than he would be worth in a trade.

Robidas and Daley getting some love. That never happens.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:52 AM
DougGilmour93

2nd and a prospect. (B or C level)

To be honest. I'd rather hold onto Van Ryn. He's now one of my fav defensemen. Very underated IMO.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Wideman- $3.875
Ohlund- $3.5
Seabrook- $3.5
Ehrhoff- $3.1
Kronwall- $3
Kuba- $3
Volchenkov- $2.5
Daley- $2.3
Robidas- $2
Martin- $3.8
Jackman- $3.6

Your list proves the point that I stated: "And most of the good 3 Million range DMen are players that were locked up early in there careers when their team took a chance on the contract".

As another poster mentioned the fact that you show some love to Robidas and Daley is great. These guys are steals at those cap figures and nobody ever mentions their names.

His contract isn't the best in the market but it certainly isn't that bad of a contract either. You are right though about his trade value though probably not being that high mostly as a result of his injuries.

And have you seen Kuba play? The guy has been absolutely brutal in Ottawa 5 on 5 for the majority of the season.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 12:43 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Your list proves the point that I stated: "And most of the good 3 Million range DMen are players that were locked up early in there careers when their team took a chance on the contract".

As another poster mentioned the fact that you show some love to Robidas and Daley is great. These guys are steals at those cap figures and nobody ever mentions their names.

His contract isn't the best in the market but it certainly isn't that bad of a contract either. You are right though about his trade value though probably not being that high mostly as a result of his injuries.

And have you seen Kuba play? The guy has been absolutely brutal in Ottawa 5 on 5 for the majority of the season.

This is mostly what I was saying. With a clean bill of health, he's worth that money for sure. But his injuries have made his trade value dip, so he probably is worth more to keep. The thing with Van Ryn, IMO, is that he's just the type of guy to keep around during this major rebuild. He's a high character guy, a steady influence on the D core, and a good guy to have around. If he stays healthy for another year, then you trade him at next year's deadline, and you're probably looking at a great return. I don't see them getting that return this year.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Wideman- $3.875
But we're talking about trade value here, and his trade value is discernably diminished because of the injuries the last two years.
Again, you're acting as if the guy is a Cam Neely and always getting injured.

For the record he doesn't get injured because he's made of glass, he got injured because of a dirty dumb play by a habs nobody. Would have happened to anyone in the league. He's back and ready. GMs realize he is not injury prone, was just a victim of bad luck and timing the past two seasons.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:31 PM
grabo84

I agree with Neely actually, we'll get more for him if he plays a bigger role next year in the absence of Kaberle and/or Kubina. We can't trade everybody this year, there still has to be a team after the deadline.

Old
02-05-2009, 02:09 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I agree with Neely actually, we'll get more for him if he plays a bigger role next year in the absence of Kaberle and/or Kubina. We can't trade everybody this year, there still has to be a team after the deadline.
I love how defensive some Leaf fans have gotten lately. I basically spent two paragraphs complementing Van Ryn, and saying that the Leafs would be better served to keep such a high character guy around for another year, and then try to get more for him at next year's deadline. So what happens? I get one sentence quoted and taken to task on that one sentence.

Old
02-05-2009, 02:56 PM
grabo84

Quote:
I love how defensive some Leaf fans have gotten lately.
We're all a little fragile. It's no fun tanking.

Old
02-05-2009, 03:04 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I'm not sure what Burke plans on doing with Van Ryn. On one hand, he's one of those players that will make the potential departures of Kubina/Kaberle easier on the team. On the other, he seems like a good bit to move.

I really like him as a 2nd pairing, two-way defender. Not sure I'd move him unless there was something really nice coming back.

It'll depend on the direction he goes with the other defenders that will determine his availability I'd imagine. He's a good all-round defender though I find. Judging by what his type of defender went at last years deadline I'd guess a 2nd + is a starting point.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
We're all a little fragile. It's no fun tanking.
Tanking can be fun if you're a NYI fan and are virtually guaranteed the first pick. Being guaranteed the 6th or 7th pick is no fun.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:16 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias4Prez View Post
We got a pick and McCabe
And we got MVR,who is playing much better then Caber ever was with the Leafs

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:20 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho99 View Post
I'm not sure what Burke plans on doing with Van Ryn. On one hand, he's one of those players that will make the potential departures of Kubina/Kaberle easier on the team. On the other, he seems like a good bit to move.

I really like him as a 2nd pairing, two-way defender. Not sure I'd move him unless there was something really nice coming back.

It'll depend on the direction he goes with the other defenders that will determine his availability I'd imagine. He's a good all-round defender though I find. Judging by what his type of defender went at last years deadline I'd guess a 2nd + is a starting point.
They were all UFA's. Van Ryn, given that he stays healthy, gets the leafs a bunch more at next year's trade deadline than he does this year IMO. Most teams are going to struggle to fit his $3mil under the cap for another year and give up a decent package, largely given is health.

Old
02-05-2009, 04:44 PM
D3ADLY

Quote:
You'll feel better after you check his post history.
who r u again...ohh i get it another one from Atlantic region that claims he/she knows everything.....go peel ur potatoes..LoL

Old
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
grabo84

Quote:
who r u again...ohh i get it another one from Atlantic region that claims he/she knows everything.....go peel ur potatoes..LoL
Ontario actually, but nice try. Isn't this a school night for you?

Old
02-05-2009, 04:59 PM
EndlessNameless9319
Tank Mode Engaged

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Mike Van Ryn is worth the jockstrap he lost at HSBC Arena last night courtesy of Drew Stafford. He's still looking for it....

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote