HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burke: I say three to six (first round) draft picks moving

Old
02-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Kaberle is NOT worth our first, sorry. A signed Bouwmeester maybe (in a package of course).
don't the Habs need a puck moving defenseman that can QB a PP?... that is Kaberle... Kaberle is an asset to ANY team... and with his current contract he is easily worth any teams first round pick

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
So Burke says that 3-6 first round picks could get moved at the deadline ... which is what we've historically seen, with the notable exception of 2007 which saw the record 9 1st-round picks moved.

Burke is such a genius!
It's a shame we don't have a "Captain Obvious" smiley here, because it would fit for Burke's statement.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Kaberle is NOT worth our first, sorry. A signed Bouwmeester maybe (in a package of course).

Are you honestly saying you wouldn't give up a 25-30 overall pick for a proven All Star?

And that there is a level of doubt moving it for a possible Norris candidate for the next decade?

Hahaha, how ridiculous. Why the hell would it matter if they had the first rounder, if the team is worse this year on ice than what they are capable of?

That was just silly..

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
don't the Habs need a puck moving defenseman that can QB a PP?... that is Kaberle... Kaberle is an asset to ANY team... and with his current contract he is easily worth any teams first round pick
Not our team, sorry. You can disagree all you want, it's just my opinion, which isn't better and certainly not worse than yours.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Okposofan21

the Habs could probably get Chris Campoli. he isn't a number 1 or 2 dman but can move the puck on the PP.

Okposofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Easily. Certainly worth the pick+ of any team in or near the playoff picture right now.

The extent to which draft picks are overrated around here has reached epic proportions. Now a superb, in-his-prime dman is not worth a friggin' mid to late first rounder?

HF, the comic site that just keeps on giving laughs.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:35 PM
WildWolfdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post
i dont really see whats groundbreaking or shocking about what he said. 1st rnders get moved at the deadline all the time...
Not on here.

"25th overall for Kubina? Leafs will be lucky to get a 3rd round pick!"

Quote:
Agreed. Unless it's for a player like Lecavalier, I highly doubt that the Habs trade their first round pick.
I don't understand why having a 1st pick is such a big deal just because the draft is being held in your city.

WildWolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:36 PM
State of Hockey

I could easily see three - Boston, San Jose, and Detroit. When you're that good, you have to go for it all. I'd say 3-6 is a fair guess.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:43 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
Yes, I agree with you. However, there are many posters on HF Boards who have stated teams will most likely not move their first round draft picks this year because of the deep draft. Many members like to over value the first round draft pick, as opposed to the proven player, and it just shows that even in this years deep draft that first round picks can be moved.

No, there would be no thread started for HF Board members. That is the problem, too many people put in their personal opinion on the value of players and first round draft picks. There is nothing wrong with providing your honest opinion or assessment, but it is good to see what an actual hockey executive believes the number of first round picks being traded in this upcoming deep draft.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
The most interesting thing from that Burke interview is how certain he seems to be that Pronger is getting moved.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:05 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolfdog View Post
I don't understand why having a 1st pick is such a big deal just because the draft is being held in your city.
Who the hell would go to the Draft on the first day if your team is not even picking?

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
So Burke says that 3-6 first round picks could get moved at the deadline ... which is what we've historically seen, with the notable exception of 2007 which saw the record 9 1st-round picks moved.

Burke is such a genius!
It's a shame we don't have a "Captain Obvious" smiley here, because it would fit for Burke's statement.
I'm pretty sure he didnt mean to say it to sound like he's smart and all. He might just be predicting.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:23 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
The bigger question and frankly more interesting matter is which teams will part with their first, and what players are worth a first in this market?

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 01:06 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
The bigger question and frankly more interesting matter is which teams will part with their first, and what players are worth a first in this market?
The available rentals are like the average looking girl at the bar. The closer it gets to last call the better she looks. Finally after pretending to ignore her all night the 3 most desperate guys finally take a run at her

The Pens did not pay hugely for Hossa last year, but I believe they expected to be resigning him when they dealt. What winger wouldn't want a season or two with those centers? Resigning has to be the mindset of any club who goes after Jaybo in terms of what they give up, but a 1st would be a start. You wouldn't even have to be a contender to want him, provided you knew you could sign him.

The picks I see getting moved are in the 20s for players like Jaybo and Kaberle plus at least one really talented guy nobody thought was moving, and one guy that only his mother thought was worth trading for a number one

In spite of the fact they are hosting the draft I think the Habs are likely to deal their 1st. They cheaped out last year because they didn't realize how close they were to it and they won't do that again as long as they are showing something good at the stretch. They need to be winning without Lang to sell them on it though.

Maybe the Hawks, not because they have a glaring weakness, but because they have so much young depth a late 1st has limited worth and the right veteran might attract them.

The Devils too, so long as they know they have Brodeur healthy, and if they don't have a healthy RB would they deal for a goalie? They are a contender without him but I don't think they want to ride Clemmer into the playoffs.

Philly has always been willing to deal picks, but them and the Rangers, perhaps not this year because of cap concerns. The salary juggling required would definitely complicate any such transactions.

I would have thought the Canucks for sure, but they have been playing so badly in the last while I don't see Gillis making a move unless the club shows him they are capable of winning something. If they get some momentum I can see them maybe dealing their 1st to load up for the playoffs.

And Pittsburgh because as bad a year as they have had, they have that firepower. I don't see them dealing for a rental again. If they trade a 1st it will mean somebody comes back that will be with them for a couple of years.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 01:16 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Who the hell would go to the Draft on the first day if your team is not even picking?
players ranked in the top 30 and their families. Does the draft actually make money from selling tickets.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 01:18 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
what players are worth a first in this market?
I would bet Burke is basing his number on how many players that are available will get a 1st round pick.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 04:06 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The most interesting thing from that Burke interview is how certain he seems to be that Pronger is getting moved.
My gut says Montreal. And a minor deal for help up the middle. Perhaps Dominic Moore in Toronto, who has been wonderful when paired with almost anyone. Could be a real asset for the Habs come playoff time.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Now a superb, in-his-prime dman is not worth a friggin' mid to late first rounder?

You're referring to Kaberle with those qualities? You're right abotu the comic relief! His play has been going down hill for the last two years. Thanks, but no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
This. ↑↑↑

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFluoric View Post
Is that less or more than usually? It sounds pretty average to me.
It's not that it's breaking news, it's that on HF Boards, accumulating 1st round picks and top prospects to some is more important than winning. If you trade your 1st round pick, you're pawning off the future, sellin' the farm, OMG TEH CUBBARD IS BEAR, for a chance to win now, and if you don't win the Stanley Cup, you sold out and are doomed for eternity.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Isn't that Markov's job? I'm not saying Kaberle isn't worth a mid to low 1st round pick nor am I saying Kaberle would be an upgrade over Markov (I'll let Hab-Leaf fans argue over that)....but wouldn't the Habs get better bang for the buck by using that 1st (along with something else obviously - same as any deal for Kaberle would require more than just that) by acquiring a *CENTER* as Lang is out for the season? Now, I don't follow the Habs on a "day to day basis" - is Markov hurt?

It ain't just about "getting value" - it's also about needs. Should the Canucks give up their first (+ other stuff) for a great starting goalie on a cheap contract for two years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post
I'm pretty sure he didnt mean to say it to sound like he's smart and all.
This is Brian Burke we're talking about. He's his biggest cheerleader.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 02-06-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Tarmore

Quote:
You're referring to Kaberle with those qualities? You're right abotu the comic relief! His play has been going down hill for the last two years. Thanks, but no thanks.

This. ↑↑↑

Agree with your second point I really don't see Montreal moving their 1st round pick at this years draft unless they get a great steal. I could even see them trying to pick up an extra first after the play-offs.

I do not agree with your first point. Had the draft not been in Montreal the IMO the Habs would be in the bidding for Kabs (and a first would be in the offering) but with a similar player on the team I'm not thinking they would be the #1 bidder. Probably bargin shopping.

Tarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 09:27 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Easily. Certainly worth the pick+ of any team in or near the playoff picture right now.

The extent to which draft picks are overrated around here has reached epic proportions. Now a superb, in-his-prime dman is not worth a friggin' mid to late first rounder?

I used to think the 1st round draft picks are were overrated here... But in this salary cap era it is essential that a team can put 1st contracts in to the lineup that can contribute.

If your team doesn't have at least one of the 800-900K top 6 forward or top 4 defensemen, your team is most likely going to be in juggling mode with the cap (Good teams).

These players are typically one of your first three picks.

If I am a NHL executive at the deadline - I am carefully weighing my future vs. the likelihood of making real noise in the playoffs. In my opinion you don't give up a high picks "just to make the playoffs". You give up an important asset to win now and no other reason. Teams that are one or two components away from championship caliber give up these type of asset.

This is when a GM proves what he is worth -- Making the realistic assessment of his teams possibilities and their current state.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 09:39 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrymir View Post
Good that means that the sens will have 5-8 1st round picks this year...
While trading Spezza and Heatley

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post

With a lot of posters here talking about how deep the 2009 draft will be what three to six teams do you expect to possibly move their first round draft picks for help in the playoffs this year?
Yeah, and '99 was gonna be amazing too.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
johnny canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosh Pit View Post
1) There is no pressure to make the playoffs for the next 2-3 years.

2) Horrible proposal.
I think he was kidding.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote