HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ribs's Replacement - Brendan Tedstone

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-12-2004, 02:35 PM
  #26
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
What you said is that he does not have size. Thus he is not a good hockey player because he is small.
See, there's the problem with your argument right there. That second sentence. What he said is he does not have size. I'm with you there. The part about him not being a good hockey player because he is small is all in your head. You're jumping to conclusions. If you had said "Thus he is limited by his lack of size" we'd all agree with you. Everbody knows Ribeiro is a good hockey player.

Squeaky is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 02:50 PM
  #27
Tucker316*
 
Tucker316*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
What you said is that he does not have size. Thus he is not a good hockey player because he is small. I am just bringing up names of players who are not big by NHL standard to show that using size while talking about talent is not really important. I used this guy, 6'4 350lbs to illustrate the fact that if you have size, it does not mean that you are a good hockey player.

For me Ribs, is a good 2nd-line center and he will not be a superstar but it is ok with me! We have Saku as our first line center and only real superstar and that's ok with me.
Actully that is obvious. Anyone knows he has no size, but he lacks speed as well. He lacks just certain other facets of the game that would make him better.
Sometimes skill alone isn't enough.
Marty is small but he has complimentary skills that he can use to elevate his game. It helps alot. Ribs has none. He should try developing them.

Tucker316* is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 03:36 PM
  #28
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316
Actully that is obvious. Anyone knows he has no size, but he lacks speed as well. He lacks just certain other facets of the game that would make him better.
Sometimes skill alone isn't enough.
Marty is small but he has complimentary skills that he can use to elevate his game. It helps alot. Ribs has none. He should try developing them.
Yes Ribeiro is not the typical hockey player, in the sense that he lacks most of the true abilities that many NHL'ers have... His game revolves around Precision... Meaning he is one of the FEW NHL'ers who can thread a puck through an assortment of sticks in the offensive zone... It's a rare, but great quality to have...

If there was another player that was similar to Ribeiro, it would have to be the player who is known as the Greatest to ever lace up the skates (not the same, but similar). Now, before I get flamed by people who read in to this statement briefly, I will explain my reasoning as to why Ribeiro is just fine.

Ribeiro has uncanny vision... It's like watching Dominik Hasek spin his spine like a slinky (i.e. it's a talent that is individual, kind of like a trademark). As I've said, he can find the holes better than 99% of the league, this goes with pinpoint accurate shooting. His shot isn't hard, but it gets wherever he wants it to go with ease. That's how he potted 20 goals last year (and to be honest, it is much harder to score 20 these days). This is what I mean with the comparison to Gretz, he has very similar qualities in his passing ability, and shot (and in fact most of his deficiencies are similar to Gretzky's).. The one thing he lacks that made the Great one, well, Great is anticipation. It has been written that Gretzky plays like he's watching from the second balcony of any stadium, he could throw blind passes and hit his mark with uncanny results... If this is the case (Gretzky watching from the second balcony), then Ribeiro is playing like he sees from the ice... There aren't as many deceptive playmaking situations... But Ribeiro has a quality to him that suggests he is seeing the ice much better than most.

As for putting on size, strength etc... I hope he does, but it is not the basis of what makes his game... Sure he could use a little more speed, perhaps a bit of size (so long as it doesn't slow him down like a few years back), or even general work ethic... It could put him in another level of play... But for Mikey to generate 60-70 points, I think he could do it again... Because as his skill level goes, for what he's good at... There aren't to much better than him at it (vision). Anyways, time will tell for sure, but Ribeiro IMO is destined for good things in the next couple of seasons, If he improves (which I believe he can) he can be a genuine star in this league. Can he fade away and be a one year wonder? I am sure he could, but I for one am hoping that last year's Ribeiro was only the tip of the iceberg to a great NHL career.

Marchy79 is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 04:22 PM
  #29
wisher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Anyone know how to block someone because Mr. stephan is frustrating to read. He must work as a political spin doctor.

wisher is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 04:28 PM
  #30
Stefan_Latulippe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisher
Anyone know how to block someone because Mr. stephan is frustrating to read. He must work as a political spin doctor.
I started the thread! My name is on it. You don't want to read me. Don't open-up the thread! That's it!

Stefan_Latulippe is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 06:02 PM
  #31
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisher
Anyone know how to block someone because Mr. stephan is frustrating to read. He must work as a political spin doctor.
I like hearing what Stephan Latulippe has to say, the boards are meant for debates, and expressing our opinions in regards to the hockey team, I see his reasoning as to why Ribeiro shouldn't be written off because of a few deficiencies in his game (most players do have them). I agree with him on the points that he has brought up...

I don't understand why so many get frustrated over different points of view on a discussion board. We've all have had our fair share of debates over these boards

Marchy79 is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 10:57 PM
  #32
EaGLE1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316
Actully that is obvious. Anyone knows he has no size, but he lacks speed as well. He lacks just certain other facets of the game that would make him better.
Sometimes skill alone isn't enough.
Marty is small but he has complimentary skills that he can use to elevate his game. It helps alot. Ribs has none. He should try developing them.
When you think 2-3 plays in advance, you don't need to be fast.
Gretzky scored near 900 goals in the regular season without being fast or having a hard shot. He is the living proof that a player don't need to be fast even if they are small to be sucessfull. Allison is not fast either. Andreychuk was a skating liability and he managed to have a great career.

Nothing is faster than a crisp pass. Ribeiro is the best playmaker on the team. What if he deke a D-man and then pass to the right directly at open Mike Ryder?? He don't need to be fast to do that.

EaGLE1 is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 11:03 PM
  #33
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,724
vCash: 500
Was it supposed to be funny...

Talk about a useless trade...

Sorry but personnaly, I didin't find it funny at all...


ChuckyToGally is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 11:05 PM
  #34
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogin_19
Was it supposed to be funny...

Talk about a useless trade...

Sorry but personnaly, I didin't find it funny at all...

*thread

ChuckyToGally is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.