HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundquist vs. Blackburn

View Poll Results: Who do you pick?
Henrik Lundquist 28 37.84%
Dan Blackburn 46 62.16%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
What Lundqvist has done in the SEL over the last 2 years and at the WC's this year has been nothing short of great.

And to top that off, he's just turned 22 as of March 2nd. With Salo, Tellqvist and Lundqvist on the World Cup roster, I would expect that Lundqvist get's the nod there too, I highly doubt that that can be said for either Blackburn or Montoya even if they were on Team Sweden. Henrik has shown and proven more at this point in his career than either Danny or Alvaro and will do so again very soon.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here--Lundqvist was picked as the up and coming kid goalie--unless something drastic happens he's not expected to play much (except perhaps in the preliminary round) because the World Cup is going to be played on the smaller ice surface.

But, other than that, I pretty much agree with you--Lundqvist has already shown quite a bit and may very well turn out to be the best of the bunch. The only real question left is how well (and how quickly) his game translates to the smaller ice surface.

Old
08-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous
No, we keep all goalies until we know who is the best. Chicago traded Hasek to make room for Belfour. Bad mistakes, dont repeat them!
Belfour had some great seasons with Chicago--took them to a Stanley Cup final--I seriously doubt that Hasek would have done very much better and certainly was not ready to carry the load Belfour regularly did with the Blackhawks. And since both had to leave Chicago to win a Stanley Cup, it really doesn't matter who Chicago kept and who they traded.

Belfour has been more durable too.

Old
08-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
this line interests me...it's hard (for me at least) to really see where the rangers stack up goaltending prospects wise against the rest of the NHL sometimes. the rangers have 3 guys who can all be studs in net, i have no doubt about that...but when you don't know a ton about the other teams prospects around the NHL, you just start hearing fans of each team list off their prospects and go "yeah so and so is awesome, he did this and this, i'd take him over anyone, blah blah blah" and i get to wondering who the really good prospects in the NHL actually are.

just seems sometimes like every team thinks they have superb goalie prospects and they should be one of the top ranked teams in that department

True, but I would honestly put these three against any in terms of potential and their odds of possibly hitting that potential.

Heck I'd put our top 6 against anyone and wouldn't feel ashamed. Does that mean they are necessarily better? No, but at the same time I wouldn't feel they were out of their league either.

Old
08-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Edge

You think the pads are bad, you gotta see some of the chest protectors and gloves a lot of european goalie use. They look like they are ready to explode. Everytime a puck is shot i half expect them to pop and go flying around the arena.

Old
08-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
You think the pads are bad, you gotta see some of the chest protectors and gloves a lot of european goalie use. They look like they are ready to explode. Everytime a puck is shot i half expect them to pop and go flying around the arena.
Either that or they'll all join together to form mega-voltron to fight evil...

...ok, I'll give up on a dead joke.

Old
08-12-2004, 10:57 AM
pld459666

Do you honestly believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here--Lundqvist was picked as the up and coming kid goalie--unless something drastic happens he's not expected to play much (except perhaps in the preliminary round) because the World Cup is going to be played on the smaller ice surface.

But, other than that, I pretty much agree with you--Lundqvist has already shown quite a bit and may very well turn out to be the best of the bunch. The only real question left is how well (and how quickly) his game translates to the smaller ice surface.
that they are going to risk success on Salo? I highly doubt that and after his preformance at the WC's against NHL shooters there's no doubt in my mind that Lundqvist gets the start for Team Sweden.

They may have tabbed him as an up and comer, but the fact remains he's their best option today regardless of what Salo has done in his career.

There's a reason Salo signed in Sweden and while I'm sure he'd want everyone to believe it was to play in his homeland, I'm sure it's because he was going to slaed to be a back-up. He's been on a slide for the last 2-3 years and if Team Sweden is smart, they aren't going to pin their hopes on him.

Old
08-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Fletch

I do think the NHL 'shooters'...

Henrik faced this past Spring is a lot different than the ones he will face if he is to play this Fall. Would they risk success on Salo? If you think they'd risk it on Lundqvist, then I equally believe they'd risk it on Salo.

Old
08-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Levitate

lundqvist did stop breakaways and shots by guys like demitra, gaborik, etc...NHL stars. not saying i think he'll really get the start (tellqvist will probably get the biggest look IMO) but you seem to downplay his play at the world championships

Old
08-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Edge

I think that is important to point out that seems to be getting forgotten here. We're not talking about a 20 year old with WJC experience. We are talking about a guy who is 22 and has now faced some real NHL shooters.

Salo is the known commodity but the Swedes might be looking to shake things up seeing as they will have their stars and really want to win.

In the end I don't know who will start, but Lunqvist is right there in the mix. ESP after the level he's taken it up too.

Old
08-13-2004, 02:18 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
I am pretty sure Tellqvist will be our starter and I would like to see Lundqvist as his backup. Maybe play him against Germany. This year there are a lot of great goalies in the SEL and Lundqvist is probably the best of them. Among those goalies we have Liv (Detroit), Salo, Bjurling (Edmonton), Holmqvist (Minnesota), Henriksson and finnish goalies like Kapanen and Norrena. That says something about the talent that Henrik has..

Closed Thread