HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How did you do last night?

Old
02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
slackerracker

vCash: 500
just got home from my night of back to back games, in the first game no points and wasn't on the rink for goals against and we won 5-4, 2nd game we lost 2-1 and i had our only goal. The worst part of the game is with about a minute left in the offensive zone(i play defense) i got a really bad charlie horse/cramp in my calf and could barely move and missed the last minute of the game as we were trying to tie it up. Overal in the 2nd game i had like 8 shots but out of those 8 there were 3-4 misses. But it sucked being on the bench for that final minute because i couldnt' physically skate with my calf muscle tightened up the way it was. And being on of the higher scorers for my team it left me in a bad mood.

Now to shower and write and essay for a 1230 pm class tomorrow.

slackerracker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
at pick-up last night I had one of the better offensive sessions I've ever had. Keep in mind this is through a college, while the playing levels and types vary there is a lot of good talent there. We only had one goalie. Me, I'm usually the type of guy who grinds it out and even in pick-up just scores ugly goals when I do score. I had a nice goal where I caught a long pass from the defenseman around the blue-line, was one on one with the defenseman, deked to my backhand and skated around him protecting the puck, got the goalie to commit to a backhand shot, then went forehand as I skated back in and went 5-hole. I got a breakaway a little while later, and I'm usually horrible on breakaways. I caught the pass, which was a real hard one(I usually suck at catching passes, it's something I've worked on) and I took a good angle, deked once and went high stick side and beat the goalie. I had two garbage goals in front where i got the pass and the goalie was moving across and went 5-hole. Then there was a nice goal I had going the other way shooting for posts, I went to my backhand and lifted it, hit the post. It felt good to have that kind of night, being someone that doesn't score especially not anything that looks pretty. One of the regulars is from ontario and he said to me "jeez man, it almost looks like you know what you're doing out there tonight" haha

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
1 G
2 A
4 PIM

Filling in on a men's team.

Penalty for unsportsmanlike counduct and roughing.

My goal was a nice tip in from the slot. First assist was after a rebound. Second was on a give and go.

and I redented my damn cage. One of the bigger guys dumped me face first in the corner and I caught the edge of the boards on my cage.

02-05-2009, 02:18 PM
kingfisher

1G (high slot, kicked the puck to my stick, hard wrist along the ice barely got in)

1A (breakout pass to 2 on 1 missed how it went in cause i tripped on my own feet)

kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:36 PM
NYRSinceBirth

I have evaluations tonight, to join my first league, and I tweaked my groin dead lifting 2 days ago and running yesterday. It feels ok, but it's super stiff today of all days. I'm sure this won't go over well.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
1 G
2 A
4 PIM

Filling in on a men's team.

Penalty for unsportsmanlike counduct and roughing.

My goal was a nice tip in from the slot. First assist was after a rebound. Second was on a give and go.

and I redented my damn cage. One of the bigger guys dumped me face first in the corner and I caught the edge of the boards on my cage.
I like the penalties ha. I bet re-denting your cage hurt.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post
I like the penalties ha. I bet re-denting your cage hurt.
The first time I did it we spent an hour fixing it. This time I think I may need a new one.

The roughing was for grabbing the guy who tossed me in the corner, the unsportsmanlike was lipping off, talking trash and tripping a guy the way to the box.

Oops.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Dr Turk

scored my first goal of my life in a learn to play lesson/league scrimmage. Was standing in front of the goal and had a sweet keith tkachuk like deflection into the net.

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:58 AM
qwertysac

5-3 win

1g-2a

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Saved*

Well, last night I went out by myself and brought 5 pucks and a new stick. CCM Joe Thornton curve.

In my first 5 minutes I lost all my pucks and had to get them all.. wow I couldn't keep the puck down, and my wrist shots/whip shots fly off faster than my slap shots lol. It's now my favorite curve because if I manage to hone the curve, I'm pretty sure it will be easy to pick corners from further than 15 feet out.

So that's how I did last night. I'm about to make a board asking if anyone knows a good stick maker that makes a good composite based on this curve.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 11:10 AM
densetsu

4-3 win. This was subbing in for a last-place div 10 team, which is sad yet fun as well... the attitude is totally different than my regular team. They're like kids! Except for those two fights.

19 saves on 22 shots, .864 SV%. That's an average-ish beer league save percentage around these parts. Wish I could have had that second goal back, guy started to come across the crease and then put it short side, tipped off the toe of my trailing pad and just over the line...

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:54 PM
kingfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
scored my first goal of my life in a learn to play lesson/league scrimmage. Was standing in front of the goal and had a sweet keith tkachuk like deflection into the net.
haha nice, thats how i scored my first a couple weeks ago too in my first game of drop in

kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:57 PM
pcgflyers12*

i tied the game up 4 to 4 with 3mins left in 3rd period.....i hit left crossbar and off the goalie and in....we lost in overtime 5 to 4 tho.

pcgflyers12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:59 PM
pcgflyers12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwermblues24 View Post
i tied the game up 4 to 4 with 3mins left in 3rd period.....i hit left crossbar and off the goalie and in....we lost in overtime 5 to 4 tho.
o man that really sucks. My team has a game tonight. playing our "rival". its one of those we win, they win, they win, we win. theres been about 3 fights in the others games we have played them. We lost in the semi-finals to them last year.

Old
02-06-2009, 01:02 PM
pcgflyers12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgflyers12 View Post
o man that really sucks. My team has a game tonight. playing our "rival". its one of those we win, they win, they win, we win. theres been about 3 fights in the others games we have played them. We lost in the semi-finals to them last year.
well good luck 2 you..... let us know 2morrow how it goes....

Old
02-06-2009, 01:04 PM
pcgflyers12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwermblues24 View Post
well good luck 2 you..... let us know 2morrow how it goes....
alrighty, my game is at 5 30. itll be over at aboult 730 or 8. hope we dont go into OT or shoot out. we always loose in those.

Old
02-06-2009, 07:46 PM
pcgflyers12*

well. we won 2-1. i had 0 points. 6 P.I.M and one fighting major +2 and had 3 hits. I had 2 min. Hooking. 2 min high sticking. 2 min roughing. and fought. it was close fight.

Old
02-06-2009, 09:00 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
Well, last night I went out by myself and brought 5 pucks and a new stick. CCM Joe Thornton curve.

In my first 5 minutes I lost all my pucks and had to get them all.. wow I couldn't keep the puck down, and my wrist shots/whip shots fly off faster than my slap shots lol. It's now my favorite curve because if I manage to hone the curve, I'm pretty sure it will be easy to pick corners from further than 15 feet out.

So that's how I did last night. I'm about to make a board asking if anyone knows a good stick maker that makes a good composite based on this curve.
CCM stick with a Thornton curve would do, but I wouldn't use that curve. As a beginner you should be on something much less extreme so you learn the correct technique and don't use the curve as a crutch.

As for what companies make the best composites, it depends on how much you're willing to spend. And you should never use one on anything but ice anyway.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:57 AM
HerrAlex

we were short men last night and I was forced to play D. Apparently my teams goalie said that i was playing for the rest of the season because I played so well. hopefully im not going to get jinxed

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 04:02 AM
vivianmb

two assists and only lost 1 faceoff all night. we won 5-3 against the 5th place team. we are now 2 points out of 1st.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 01:46 PM
pcgflyers12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
two assists and only lost 1 faceoff all night. we won 5-3 against the 5th place team. we are now 2 points out of 1st.
congratulations. we are now 5 out of first. its a close race too. there is a four way tie for 2nd, and we are in that race.

Old
02-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
CCM stick with a Thornton curve would do, but I wouldn't use that curve. As a beginner you should be on something much less extreme so you learn the correct technique and don't use the curve as a crutch.

As for what companies make the best composites, it depends on how much you're willing to spend. And you should never use one on anything but ice anyway.
I stopped reading at beginner. I'm not lol. I'm just not used to using a stick that keeps the puck high with little effort.. I usually use the Mission Hossa type curves on my stick, and it's nearly non existant. It takes more effort and skill to pick corners with it, and that's why I like it. I bought the Thornton as a secondary stick as I broke my last secondary. I like the way the puck reacts on whip shots/wrist shots, so I'm thinking of using it as my main stick if I can get a nice OPS. Already found one online.

You can't tell me you've never skated out on the ice with a new stick and wired a few shots too high before you got the hang of the curve

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 07:24 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgflyers12 View Post
congratulations. we are now 5 out of first. its a close race too. there is a four way tie for 2nd, and we are in that race.
fun aint it??
good luck.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 07:29 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Scored on a turn over and killed a 6-minute penalty

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:29 PM