HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Question about Numbers

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2004, 07:06 PM
neversummer

vCash: 500
Question about Numbers

Does the Ranger organization assign numbers to players, or do the players choose their number? I seems like they used to assign traditional numbers (like NFL football) but have loosed up a bit.
Nedved wore #10 and #93, was ten assigned to him, what did he wear in St. Louis.
Zubov #21 for us #56 for Dallas.
Tyutin #51 seems to be an exception. Maybe you choose if your a stud. If not you get what they give.
I remember seeing M. Savard wearing #67 then he came to the Garden wearing like #18.
How does it work, anyone know.
Not to say K. McLean would have lead us to the promised land if he was able to wear #1 (retired of course) but I feel the number means something to the player, it did for me. Thoughts?

Old
08-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Edge

it depends on the situation.

For example, Savard's 67 was a ranking given to a rookie in training camp.This is done based on two things usually.

A. It often times has something to do with a ranking system that varies from team to team.

B. It's so the player can be found easily. When you're looking at rookies you are trying to decide what to do with them. If they where regular numbers you have to search for them. Essentially you want to find them as easily as possible and not have them confused with anyone else.

As for numbers it depends. As a player gets more sway they usually have some choice in their number. This varies from team to team. The Rangers traditionally have usually let the players decide. But rookies who are called up for a look are usually just assigned a number because in most cases no team wants to tie up a number for a guy who will be on and off the roster.

Players often change numbers over the years. Nedved adopted 93 because that was the year he became a Canadian citizen. Amonte went with 33 at first because he was number 3 in College but the number was taken by James Patrick. Over the years he went with either 11 or 10.

Some players change numbers because they know it will always be there {Roenick switched from 27 to 97 and has requested it ever since}.

The most requested numbers usually have at least a 7 or 9 somewhere in it. For whatever it just seems more visually appealing on a jersey.

I remember when I played {and this was before Roenick did it} I wore number 97 because I just loved the way it looked on a jersey.

Old
08-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Bacchus

Has anyone a clue, why Bure didn't keep his #96?

Old
08-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Edge

Wanted Rocket Richard's number 9 with the Rangers and before that, it really didnt bring him a ton of luck.

Old
08-09-2004, 07:57 PM
neversummer

Interesting I wore #27 b/c I wanted to play like Roenick, it looked cool, and the number has another significance to me. I was convinced the rangers organization assigned the numbers. Glad to hear thats usually not the case.

Old
08-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Edge

it really depends.

They are also pretty good at letting guys switch numbers {Verbeek, York, Lundmark was allowed to pick 21 after he gave up 26 to Rucinsky, Graves took 9 after giving 11 to Messier, etc.}.

Old
08-09-2004, 08:04 PM
neversummer

So what numbers will G. Murray and J. Balej wear, #25 and #20 or will one or both change.

Old
08-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Edge

Both are likely to keep the numbers if they want them.

If both make the club out of training camp next season, they'll probably be allowed to pick numbers with the expectation that they will hopefully see more time than not with the parent club.

Old
08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Synergy27

I'm really interested in the whole number selection process as well. I wear #27 when I play, initially chosen to emulate Alexei Kovalev, I have since grown to just love the way the number looks on a jersey. It's strange how some people are drawn to certain numbers, a guy on my team just loves the look of the #81 (has nothing to do with Satan), I think it looks really gaudy. I'm assuming there is something at work in our unconscious mind that leads to these predispositions. Does anyone know of any scientific studies done in relation to this?

Old
08-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Edge

I know for a fact that there have been studies done about numbers and letters and even sounds.

I couldnt tell you the results {college is getting pushed further and further out of my brain with every that goes by}. But there is something to it.

When you look at names you see some letters have a lot more names than others.

M happens to be a very popular letter because it has a soft sound to it. As i mentioned earlier, many players love the way a 7 or 9 looks on a jersey {either in single digit or double digit form}.

Certain numbers don't stand out {a single eight, twenty one, etc.} Certain numbers do.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:45 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
Has anyone a clue, why Bure didn't keep his #96?
Bure switched to 96 and had a ton of injuries. He switched back to #10, but the Rangers already had Sandy McCarthy and what more appropriate number for the "Russian Rocket" to wear than "Rocket" Richard's #9?

From what I recall, he called Adam Graves and asked for permission before he did it. Adam, classy as always, was very accepting of Bure's adoption of the number.

In almost all cases, the player gets to choose his number. Generally, veterans get their pick over younger players.

High numbers are somewhat frowned upon in the league. They stand out and give the impression that the player is not a team player. In the 1996 World Cup, Ron Wilson -- then head coach of the US team -- didn't allow any player to have high numbers. The concept was that it was a team and no one player should stand out. Roenick took #27 again (he had been #97), Mathieu Schneider (then #72) switched to #5. Keith Tkachuk took #17 because Chris Chelios had the #7. Tony Amonte switched from 33 to 11. Doug Weight switched to #19 from #39.

If I recall, it was...

Leetch #2, D. Hatcher #3, K. Hatcher #4, Schneider #5, Housley #6, Chelios #7, Carney #8, Modano #9, LeClair #10, Amonte #11, Guerin #12, Rolston #13, Hull #15, LaFontaine #16, Tkachuk #17, Deadmarsh #18 (from 28), Weight #19, Suter #20, Young #21 (from 48), Konowalchuk #22, Roenick #27... I can't remember anyone else.

Old
08-10-2004, 02:29 AM
Edge

Just one correction. Amonte had already switched to number 10 with Chicago. He took 11 for two reasons, the first being LeClair really wanted it and the second being number 11 was Mark Messier's number so it was an added bonus.

Old
08-10-2004, 07:23 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I've used 36 for awhile now.

In basketball and baseball, I used to use 9. Because I was kind of a martial arts buff back when I was younger, and there's this belief about there being 9 different aspects of this and that.. blah blah. I thought then, 9 is like being complete. I also at times used 13, but when I played football, that wasn't allowed, cuz I played safety. That means, you get anywhere from 20-49. 44 is good, but too widely used. Sanders had 20, so for some reason, that to me meant the numbers in 20 emulated finesse, which is great... but I was a brutish strong safety... so I multiplied 9 by 4, and got 36, which I think looks mean.

And Barnaby stole it.

Old
08-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Leetchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Just one correction. Amonte had already switched to number 10 with Chicago. He took 11 for two reasons, the first being LeClair really wanted it and the second being number 11 was Mark Messier's number so it was an added bonus.
Ahh yes, good call.

Old
08-13-2004, 01:43 AM
Mark O

Showing my age....thinking back to a time when the 1st string goalie wore #1, the backup wore #30, and everyone else wore numbers in between. Where have you gone, Ed Giacomin & Gilles Villemure?

Old
08-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer
So what numbers will G. Murray and J. Balej wear, #25 and #20 or will one or both change.
I think Murray's choice number has always been #10, but he switched to #25 after the Rangers claimed McCarthy off waivers. My bet is that Garth switches back to #10 if it's available.

I wonder if Ortmeyer will switch to something other than #41?

BTW, anyone remember when Kaspar was #72 in preseason? Ick.

Old
08-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Leetchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
I think Murray's choice number has always been #10, but he switched to #25 after the Rangers claimed McCarthy off waivers. My bet is that Garth switches back to #10 if it's available.

I wonder if Ortmeyer will switch to something other than #41?

BTW, anyone remember when Kaspar was #72 in preseason? Ick.
I'm pretty sure Kasparaitis was born in 1972. He switched to #6 to honor Jim Schoenfeld, who wore the #6 and played defense when he was a player in the NHL.

Closed Thread