HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I come in peace-Price

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2009, 10:25 AM
  #26
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post


Considered close to Price by who? You?
Quite a lot of pundits. Remember, this was BEFORE he'd faltered at the NHL level.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:35 AM
  #27
The n00b King ©*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Scatbox-less :(
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Those pads are ugly as ****.

Plus the wallpaper of him I have has his white pads, and when I put it on he won a few straight before getting injured. IT'S THE PADS.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-07-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Keep the personal comments out.
The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:47 AM
  #28
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Quite a lot of pundits. Remember, this was BEFORE he'd faltered at the NHL level.
He was a late first round draft pick, and was considered a bit of a project at the time. At no time during his career was he ever even remotely close to being considered a can't-miss prospect or a franchise goaltender.

You're either confused or re-writing history in order to try and illustrate your point.

Toivinen was never in the same stratosphere as Carey Price as a prospect. Quite simply you're just wrong. In the 2002 draft there was a very highly touted Finnish goaltender that many thought had the chance to be a legitimate star #1 netminder... but that goalie was Kari Lehtonen, who was drafted 2nd overall. After him, there wasn't even a consensus #2 (and many pundits felt there may not be another goalie drafted in the first round that year. Two were, Cam Ward and Tovinen.)

Tovinen was lumped in with Cam Ward, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers, Tobias Stephen, Josh Harding, David LeNeveu were all considered a roll of the dice, meaning they were pretty closely lumped together as the second tier of guys after Lehtonen.


Are you sure you're not mixing up Kari Lehtonen and Hannu Tovinen? They are both Finnish goalies from the same draft, and Lehtonen - while not considered the kind of prospect Price is - was certainly a lot closer then Hannu Tovinenen ever was.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
  #29
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
I think the issue is two fold:

One he's in a slump, his timing is just a bit off, or his focus or something.

Two, the team in front of him is doing assbackwards things. I am pretty sure the Habs have allowed more odd man rushes and scoring chances in the last five games than they did in the previous 15.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
  #30
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Patrick Roy said it: The kid is very good, but he's going to have inconsistency problems because of his youth. That's exactly what's happening to him.
So he's only "very good" nothing more? Did Roy had consistency problems?

I think Price should go back to his white pads.. with white, you can't see the 5 holes properly.. since he got the new red pads, he let in 10 5 hole goals..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
  #31
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
He's on a slump, simple as that. He's a very young goalie and it will happen to him from time to time. His defense making horrible mistakes doesn't help either...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:06 AM
  #32
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
So he's only "very good" nothing more? Did Roy had consistency problems?

I think Price should go back to his white pads.. with white, you can't see the 5 holes properly.. since he got the new red pads, he let in 10 5 hole goals..
and where the hell did you invent this stat from ?

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:13 AM
  #33
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
I general he seems to be ok, but I do find that he's let in on average one soft goal a game since his return which is hurting his performance. But it's Hockey. They might all be fluke goals. It's hard to tell from watching on TV what's soft and what's fluke...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:20 AM
  #34
11Goat11
Inside her
 
11Goat11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
It's not his pads, he's young and you will get inconsistency with young goaltenders. Most of the goals he has been letting in have been upstairs so his pads would have nothing to do with it. I still think they are ugly though and want the old ones back asap.

Carey is a gamer and I still have tonnes of confidence in him that he will be a star for many years.

And Toivonen was a high rated goalie prospect, not sure why people are disputing that. He was projected to be an all-star starter, maybe not as hyped as Price but the pundits were definitely hyping him.

11Goat11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:29 AM
  #35
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,261
vCash: 500
It would be nice to have Huet to calm the goaltending down, because Price has been average this year.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:37 AM
  #36
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
It would be nice to have Huet to calm the goaltending down, because Price has been average this year.
Short memories

You don't remember the Price that hadn't lost in regulation in 13 games and had allowed 2 goals or more only 2-3 times, do you? The Price that had the best win % after Nabokov, that Price with a 0.925 save % and the Price with a 2.21 GAA? The Price who had better stats than Roberto fricking Luongo before his injury? Do you?

It would be nice to have a Huet, the Huet that is getting outplayed by Khabibulin, the Huet that Hawks fans wouldn't mind letting go and the Huet with a 13-9-3 record on an elite team like the Blackhawks.

God, sometimes Habs fans disappoint me.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:46 AM
  #37
JustAHabFan
Registered User
 
JustAHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Short memories

You don't remember the Price that hadn't lost in regulation in 13 games and had allowed 2 goals or more only 2-3 times, do you? The Price that had the best win % after Nabokov, that Price with a 0.925 save % and the Price with a 2.21 GAA? The Price who had better stats than Roberto fricking Luongo before his injury? Do you?

It would be nice to have a Huet, the Huet that is getting outplayed by Khabibulin, the Huet that Hawks fans wouldn't mind letting go and the Huet with a 13-9-3 record on an elite team like the Blackhawks.

God, sometimes Habs fans disappoint me.
I totally agree with you. But it is obvious that he is not the same goalie coming back from the injury. I don't know if he rush a bit and try to comeback too early or his timing is off. Charbonneau should allow Halak to play a couple of games and let Melanson work with Price.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:47 AM
  #38
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I totally agree with you. But it is obvious that he is not the same goalie coming back from the injury. I don't know if he rush a bit and try to comeback too early or his timing is off. Charbonneau should allow Halak to play a couple of games and let Melanson work with Price.
only one way to get timing back and it AINT sitting on the bench !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
  #39
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,235
vCash: 500
Him and Kovalev are costing us games right now... Price has been brutal since he came back from the injury...

I'd start Halak tonight, I'm tired of his lazy game-breaker goals allowed...

So far, he's in the middle of the pack in terms of goalie, he's far from that franchise goalie everyone talks about, but he's young and still can become one... but for the last month... just awfull...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:54 AM
  #40
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I totally agree with you. But it is obvious that he is not the same goalie coming back from the injury. I don't know if he rush a bit and try to comeback too early or his timing is off. Charbonneau should allow Halak to play a couple of games and let Melanson work with Price.
I'm not arguing he's not playing well, it's just that people tend to see negative stuff all the time and generalize way too fast.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:56 AM
  #41
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Him and Kovalev are costing us games right now... Price has been brutal since he came back from the injury...

I'd start Halak tonight, I'm tired of his lazy game-breaker goals allowed...

So far, he's in the middle of the pack in terms of goalie, he's far from that franchise goalie everyone talks about, but he's young and still can become one... but for the last month... just awfull...
God, I love it when people parrot CBC/TSN commentators as original thought.

Kovalev isn't playing well, granted, but he's not costing us games either. He isn't nearly as bad as some press are going on about. McGuire last night, freaking out, trying to make it seem like Kovalev was benched during a key powerplay. First, he was on the ice when the penalty was called, thus clearly he would be second wave. Second, when D'Ago was late coming off, he tried to spin it like he still wasn't out until the guy skated by him.

It's all hype. They've got a story, they're pointing out every little thing to make it seem like he is a problem.

Last night, his penalties were bad, but they didn't cost the game. Ryan Miller, inconsistent effort, a mediocre night from many key players, and a Komisarek brain cramp cost us the game.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:58 AM
  #42
Travis Moen
Registered User
 
Travis Moen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
It would be nice to have a Huet, the Huet that is getting outplayed by Khabibulin, the Huet that Hawks fans wouldn't mind letting go and the Huet with a 13-9-3 record on an elite team like the Blackhawks.
The same Huet that has a .917 save % and a GAA of 2.32 compared to .912/2.53 for Price?

And if the Hawk are an elite team, so are the Habs...

I know that stats don't mean anything but the reason fans turned against Huet was that he wasn't reliable and was allowing bad goals and Price is doing exactly the same thing.

I'd still take Price ahead of Huet not because he is better but because he is younger and has the potential to be better.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:07 PM
  #43
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
God, I love it when people parrot CBC/TSN commentators as original thought.

Kovalev isn't playing well, granted, but he's not costing us games either. He isn't nearly as bad as some press are going on about. McGuire last night, freaking out, trying to make it seem like Kovalev was benched during a key powerplay. First, he was on the ice when the penalty was called, thus clearly he would be second wave. Second, when D'Ago was late coming off, he tried to spin it like he still wasn't out until the guy skated by him.

It's all hype. They've got a story, they're pointing out every little thing to make it seem like he is a problem.

Last night, his penalties were bad, but they didn't cost the game. Ryan Miller, inconsistent effort, a mediocre night from many key players, and a Komisarek brain cramp cost us the game.
I'm not watching CBC/TSN... and I watch most games in bars so I don't really listen to the commentators.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-07-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Keep the personal comments out.
MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:25 PM
  #44
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
So he's only "very good" nothing more? Did Roy had consistency problems?

I think Price should go back to his white pads.. with white, you can't see the 5 holes properly.. since he got the new red pads, he let in 10 5 hole goals..
Yea Roy did.
If I remember correctly he didn't start the year as starter following his 86 cup run.
It also took him a number of seasons before becoming the clear cut #1, around 5-6years.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:34 PM
  #45
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Like ive said, sometimes we forget that he's only 21. Right now his main problem is his focus. First and third goal are good examples of it. Price sometimes is not always alert of whats going on, hes so laid back that sometimes he lacks focus.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:34 PM
  #46
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I'm not watching CBC/TSN... and I watch most games in bars so I don't really listen to the commentators.
Well then maybe the drinking in bars is clouding your vision.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-07-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:35 PM
  #47
Anksun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
It's not the number of shoots, it's the quality.

The habs defense have been giving the blueline as if every rush is coming from an Ovechkin for the past 4+ games.

When there is a 2 on 2, for the past few games. The very next guy you'll see coming in the camera view is always an opponent and pretty much never a habs forward backchecking. There is your problem.

Alright Price has look uncomfortable for 2 weeks. But he got to look left and right at every moment since that stretch. Cross-ice, backhand passes are been allow in the SLOT on counter-attacks as if it was routine...

Of course you are going to looks nervous and will give a bad goal frequently if you are expecting a backhand pass from a 4th liner who have been given the Slot and all the space he need.
_______________________

The separation between the defense and the offense is back to what is was at the beginning of the year and 2 years ago. Something that wasnt that bad last year. Stop giving the Slot freely on the counter attack 2 times out of 3 and you'll see Price regain his confidence, stay more up and stay focuss on the shooter in no time.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 01:01 PM
  #48
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
The same Huet that has a .917 save % and a GAA of 2.32 compared to .912/2.53 for Price?

And if the Hawk are an elite team, so are the Habs...

I know that stats don't mean anything but the reason fans turned against Huet was that he wasn't reliable and was allowing bad goals and Price is doing exactly the same thing.

I'd still take Price ahead of Huet not because he is better but because he is younger and has the potential to be better.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?navid=NAV|STN|Main
You really think the Habs are as good as the Hawks?

If Huet's stats were that good, how come he's 13-9-3 while Khabibulin is 16-4-5? They're playing for the same team I believe and they have respectively played 25 and 27 games. Doesn't that tell you that: 1- The Blackhawks are and excellent defensive team (126 goals allowed, Habs=148) and 2- Huet's stats don't mean that much. Sure, they're good, but he doesn't win as much as Khabibulin, playing for the exact same team.

Once again, I'm not denying the fact that Price is struggling, but please don't bring Huet in the discussion for many reasons. The guy was traded because he was caught in a Tampa Bay nigh club getting his stick tasted by girl not named Madame Huet and he's playing for a different and better hockey club.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 01:03 PM
  #49
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Short memories

You don't remember the Price that hadn't lost in regulation in 13 games and had allowed 2 goals or more only 2-3 times, do you? The Price that had the best win % after Nabokov, that Price with a 0.925 save % and the Price with a 2.21 GAA? The Price who had better stats than Roberto fricking Luongo before his injury? Do you?

It would be nice to have a Huet, the Huet that is getting outplayed by Khabibulin, the Huet that Hawks fans wouldn't mind letting go and the Huet with a 13-9-3 record on an elite team like the Blackhawks.

God, sometimes Habs fans disappoint me.
So, in your mind, you throw out the bad games and only focus on the good ones. Gotcha.

Statistically, he's middle of the pack.... average.. and the stats don't lie.

I still think Price has what it takes to be a special goalie, no doubt, but he's let in a lot of bad goals this year.. and been average. I think the kid would benefit from a veteran to help him out, I think they all do.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 02:13 PM
  #50
NJDevil22
Vol For Life
 
NJDevil22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Quote:
I still think Price has what it takes to be a special goalie, no doubt, but he's let in a lot of bad goals this year.. and been average. I think the kid would benefit from a veteran to help him out, I think they all do.
Ya I have noticed a few goals that probably shouldnt have got passed him. I just cant put my finger on whats caused it or if it is really a problem with the defense doing something different or both.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I think the issue is two fold:

One he's in a slump, his timing is just a bit off, or his focus or something.

Two, the team in front of him is doing assbackwards things. I am pretty sure the Habs have allowed more odd man rushes and scoring chances in the last five games than they did in the previous 15.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts.

NJDevil22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.