HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

ARod and a positive steroids test

Old
02-07-2009, 11:00 AM
BigBen07

vCash: 500
ARod and a positive steroids test

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=2661...=topStory_main
Just saw this on tsn and espn's websites. Seems like he tested positive for steroids in 2003 b4 it was "against the rules". I always thought he was a guy who was on steroids but my buddies would hear nothing of it. When he broke into the league around 95 he was half the size as he is now. Still only a news report i guess but wouldnt surprise me at all if it were true. Im a big baseball fan ( formerly expos now angels b.c of Vladdy) but this is just another black eye for the game to have this come out about the guy who will most likely break the all time home run record again. All these records are a joke now and its hard to know who was and was not clean. Anybody care about this or am i the only one hah?

BigBen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
dfk711*
The real #11

I just read the story too. Only thing that sucks about this is that now all the Red Sox fans will bring it up for years, even though everyone in their right mind knows that David Ortiz was juicing too back when he was killing it.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Disappointing but it's hard to single out guys, even of this caliber, considering what we know about baseball in the steroid era.

No wonder these guys were putting up such eye-popping #'s.

Makes you wonder just how good the Ruth's, Gehrig's were. Fill those guys full of today's "nutrition" and they'd've been swinging for 100 dingers.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
Disappointing but it's hard to single out guys, even of this caliber, considering what we know about baseball in the steroid era.

No wonder these guys were putting up such eye-popping #'s.

Makes you wonder just how good the Ruth's, Gehrig's were. Fill those guys full of today's "nutrition" and they'd've been swinging for 100 dingers.
That is why I am not watching baseball anymore. Just a bunch of super overpaid cheaters.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:35 AM
marioroberge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
I just read the story too. Only thing that sucks about this is that now all the Red Sox fans will bring it up for years, even though everyone in their right mind knows that David Ortiz was juicing too back when he was killing it.
Yea, juicing Wendy's milkshakes.

marioroberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Magic33

I dont enjoy baseball and have never played (except for throwing a ball or two) so I was wondering how much steroids actually affects a persons skill set? Is it in terms of batting? Im sure steroids dont help play his field position? Or do they? And for batting, isnt it more technique then strength, or is it more strength? Im asking because I have no clue.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Kriss E

Steroids and baseball...that always makes me laugh..lol..
What a joke..

Just make it legal and move on already..everyone of their stars seem to do it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:35 PM
BigBen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
I dont enjoy baseball and have never played (except for throwing a ball or two) so I was wondering how much steroids actually affects a persons skill set? Is it in terms of batting? Im sure steroids dont help play his field position? Or do they? And for batting, isnt it more technique then strength, or is it more strength? Im asking because I have no clue.
I've played my whole life and have been to several national championships so i have so sort of idea but cant answer the question fully as i have never taken steroids haha

From what i've heard and read steroids basically help you recover quicker so that you can work out more often and build muscle at a greater rate than if you did it naturally. Thats why you see some guys end one season and come back a year later 30 plus pounds heavier and ripped up. Steroids probably wouldnt help his defence that much no . Most guys take it to help their power and give them that extra strength and bat speed needed to hit the ball of of the park. Obviously you have to have skill, an olympic weightlifter would have all th emuscle mass and strength needed but probably have no chance at having the hand eye coordination in order to connect with the ball. So i guess its a combination of the skill they are naturally born with and the steroids helping them get that much more of an advantage. Its sad to see b.c these guys have incredible talent to be able to hit the ball they way they do. Has to be frustrating for guys with similiar talent who chose to stay clean and probably of been past over or kept in the minors b/c they didnt have as much "pop"

Hope thats somewhat accurate and helps you see what all the fuss is about

Old
02-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Brisk-Illusion

I never really understood why steroids are so frown upon in professional sports, anything that makes players better makes the game more interesting.

I don't see why steroids should be banned in any spot, they might be unsafe, but no one is forced to take them.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I never really understood why steroids are so frown upon in professional sports, anything that makes players better makes the game more interesting.

I don't see why steroids should be banned in any spot, they might be unsafe, but no one is forced to take them.
Well, if everyone around are taking some, you don't have much choice but to take it also, if you want to outperforme them...

Plus, the real issue here is the consumption of steriods at a young age... there are a lot of teenagers in high schools and colleges that take steroids to be better, to have a chance to be drafted and not everyone is chosen, but the damage done while taking it is enormous. At the Major level, it's not that problematic except for the fake records and all, but in the minors and in colleges and high schools, it's extremely damaging.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 01:45 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Well, if everyone around are taking some, you don't have much choice but to take it also, if you want to outperforme them...

Plus, the real issue here is the consumption of steriods at a young age... there are a lot of teenagers in high schools and colleges that take steroids to be better, to have a chance to be drafted and not everyone is chosen, but the damage done while taking it is enormous. At the Major level, it's not that problematic except for the fake records and all, but in the minors and in colleges and high schools, it's extremely damaging.
The thing is: When taken properly under a doctor's supervision (Lyle Alzado wasn't), there is not one documented case of "damage". Make it legal and it becomes safer to use.
There was a great piece done by HBO a few years back on steroids- it was quite interesting. I'll see if I can find the link on youtube.

Last edited by loudi94: 02-07-2009 at 01:51 PM.
loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedobear View Post
Yea, juicing Wendy's milkshakes.
Look back at how yellow his eyes were in 02-05, now that he is off of them, he hasn't been able to stay healthy and has had horrible batting numbers.

But he has had his share of milkshakes, no doubt

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 02:04 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
The thing is: When taken properly under a doctor's supervision (Lyle Alzado wasn't), there is not one documented case of "damage". Make it legal and it becomes safer to use.
There was a great piece done by HBO a few years back on steroids- it was quite interesting. I'll see if I can find the link on youtube.

Theres also a video called "bigger, faster, stronger" it is a really good documentary if you want to learn more on the issue.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 02:15 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
Theres also a video called "bigger, faster, stronger" it is a really good documentary if you want to learn more on the issue.
Downloading it now.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:21 PM
BigBen07

A-Fraud:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847

Thought id post this update in case anyone was interested and following.

Old
02-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I'm very dissapointed, I always said to myself that A-Rod was a pure athlete. When the Mitchell report came out, I was praying that A-Rod and Albert Pujols weren't mentionned.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:33 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

players use them, get caught a few years later and keep playing like nothing happened...

so what's the point in catching them ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:39 PM
3TB3*

bigger story is how stool pigeons have become a fact of life today in the usa. a "confidential" test and someone leaks it? Phelps goes to a party a stoolie makes a video of him on his phone? burress is exposed by a another stoolie working at a night club? etc., etc. Just like it was in world war 2 nazi germany, neighbours squealing on each other.

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:40 PM
BigBen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
players use them, get caught a few years later and keep playing like nothing happened...

so what's the point in catching them ?
Yeah, the whole thing is nothing but a joke. I hope they release that 104 player list of guys who Failed tests that year at somepoint. I'd be nice to finally see who if anyone at all is legit!

Old
02-09-2009, 02:50 PM
3TB3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen07 View Post
Yeah, the whole thing is nothing but a joke. I hope they release that 104 player list of guys who Failed tests that year at somepoint. I'd be nice to finally see who if anyone at all is legit!
if it was confidential they should not have released any names

but you are right if they did release one name they should have released the entire lot

c/p

"The introduction of steroids when they were first available were marketed to parents. They were said that if the parent wanted to give their boys a better advantage in athletics they could give them growth hormones so they would be bigger and stronger. Some of the information was very lacking. Most of the effects of the grouth information did not even talk of the downside, short lifespand and other health problems. Boys were taking hormones in high school. My opinion is any use AFTER they were banned should be penalized. Before that time the specified drugs were not illegal ."

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Judge Sauer*

So a story on CNN, A-Rod confirms that he was juiced from 01-03 while with the Rangers prior to his trade to the Yankees.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:19 PM
BigBen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
So a story on CNN, A-Rod confirms that he was juiced from 01-03 while with the Rangers prior to his trade to the Yankees.
Yup. Theres also a video clip of him doing an interview with Peter Gammons on Espn.com in which he gives his reasons for doing it and expresses his remorse and apologies to the fans and all that good ol stuff...

Old
02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Joe Cole

That Youtube video was really good. Very interesting that the real push on banning steriods was when Ben Johnson beat the golden boy Carl Lewis (that is how the report called him).

Back to the topic, I could not care less if professional atheletes use steriods.

We mythologize sports way too much. It is entertainment, that is all. We may give it more worth, but it is what it is. A person who willing does something for the enjoyment of others and is paid for it.

If there are rules in the leagues banning it, that is another story. Then you broke the rules of the league. But in a larger moral sense, I does not affect me at all.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

A-Roid, A-Fraud, A-very.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

1-No one is forced to play professional spots, if you don't want to take steroids to keep your million-dollar job hitting a ball,you're always free to do something else with your life.

2-Kids who take steroids are idiots who are going to take them regardless of whether or not major leagues allow them. Saying banning steroids would get rid of this problem is like saying that banning alcohol would stop all teenage alcohol-related deaths...

3-This is a BS-issue made up by the media in order to sell newspapers, it doesn't make any difference in the real world if some guy hitting a ball took something to make himself better or not. This is just the kind of thing that people love to talk about because it makes them feel good about themselves. We're all a bit jealous of professional athletes and there's nothing better than to watch one fall apart. See what happened to Barry Bonds and Michael Vick. Hell, I'll even add Sean Avery to that list.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote