HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella

Old
02-04-2009, 04:46 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
After watching both Drury and Gomez for the past two seasons there is no way they are earning anywhere near the amount of money they are making. Neither of them resemble a 1st line player--and Naslund doesn't either.

Pro-rate their stats for the year so far and we have 3 50 some point players. Very underwhelming. It just doesn't cut it no matter how rosily you paint it. It strikes me that both Drury and Naslund and might as well add Redden as well are on their last NHL contract--what's for sure is they'll never get anywhere near the same again--from anyone.

The thing is they get the big money--and with that comes the responsibility to lead the team on the ice first and foremost. Yesterday's game was abysmal. Someone needed to step up and despite the fact that Naslund tied it almost at the buzzer--if Kovalchuk had put that empty net away like you'd expect him to 98 times out of 100 that game would have been a shutout in front of a full house with deservedly high expectations considering the Graves retirement event and the mediocrity of the Atlanta franchise. What is more Drury wears a C and Gomez and Naslund each wear an A and where are they when the chips are down? All the talk about getting rid of Renney notwithstanding bringing the disciplinarian Tortorella in and I bet in no time Drury, Gomez, Redden and Naslund will all be in the dog house.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:48 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
First of all, there won't be a coaching change during the season. That's just not in the cards. However, an off season change may happen and Torts could be the guy. Three reasons why...

He is friends with Sather and from what I have heard, Glen values and admires his work. That's always a good starting point. Secondly, I can easily see Renney accepting a move back to the front office. There's plenty of player development and procurement work to be done and I can't imagine Sather is expanding his workload at this point in his life. And finally, there is the realization that after 4 years, the team may simply need to hear a different voice. No matter what you think of Renney (and I certainly ranks among his strongest supporters) any voice wears thin in the locker room after that much time. It may be good and right to make a change.
After the events of the last few days, I'm not so sure this may happen later rather than sooner.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Stoney La Rock

I've wanted to see Torts in NY again for years, but I don't think this is the time for it. Bringing in his fireworks will be lost on these players right now and could make things even worse.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote