Notices

All Other Metroplex Sports Talk (Pt. 1)

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2009, 11:51 AM
theheadmata

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
In case no one has seen yet, if anyone cares, the MY to 3rd base drama has been resolved with him agreeing to the move. He said he doesn't like the move, but is willing to do it for the team.

Someone in the Newberg forum posted:

"I hated being mad at MY."

I agree with that statement 100%.

Old
01-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
In case no one has seen yet, if anyone cares, the MY to 3rd base drama has been resolved with him agreeing to the move. He said he doesn't like the move, but is willing to do it for the team.

Someone in the Newberg forum posted:

"I hated being mad at MY."

I agree with that statement 100%.
The reason he probably accepted the move to 3rd is because his trade value because of his contract is to much for other teams to take on...so this was really his only recourse.

Old
01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Good. Improving team defense is just as important as improving the pitching staff. Especially considering the amount of pitch-to-contact groundball pitchers the Rangers have. Balls hit to the left of second base may actually stand a chance of being fielded.

Old
01-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Chad_

Am I the only one who reads a hard copy of TDMN? I realize there are only a few anymore, but I ask because I'm curious about any opinions regarding Jean-Jaques Taylor, specifically his column on Turco, Richards and Ribeiro yesterday and his brief on the Young situation today.

More on Young, I can't help but think what a little ***** he is. Quotes from Young:

"At the end of the day, there are certain factors that come into this. One is pride. Absolutely I'm proud. Pride isn't something you can shut on and off." - You're not being benched, just moved to a position where you'll actually be better at. And pride can be a handicap, believing you're better at something than you actually are. That Gold Glove actually pumped up your pride while remaining a joke around MLB.

"I've always loved the fans. This thing was something I wanted to hammer out behind closed door and that's something that's regrettable. I didn't want the fans to choose between a player and the organization. These fans who have seen me, know me." - If he wanted to "hammer [this] out behind closed doors," why did he spill all to FSN's Ken Rosenthal? It's because he wanted to have public support behind him, thus pitting fans between Young and the org., the exact opposite he claims now.

I used to be a Young fan, but I'm not much of one anymore, and it has directly to do with his post-move quotes.

Old
01-16-2009, 02:52 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Am I the only one who reads a hard copy of TDMN? I realize there are only a few anymore, but I ask because I'm curious about any opinions regarding Jean-Jaques Taylor, specifically his column on Turco, Richards and Ribeiro yesterday and his brief on the Young situation today.

More on Young, I can't help but think what a little ***** he is. Quotes from Young:

"At the end of the day, there are certain factors that come into this. One is pride. Absolutely I'm proud. Pride isn't something you can shut on and off." - You're not being benched, just moved to a position where you'll actually be better at. And pride can be a handicap, believing you're better at something than you actually are. That Gold Glove actually pumped up your pride while remaining a joke around MLB.

"I've always loved the fans. This thing was something I wanted to hammer out behind closed door and that's something that's regrettable. I didn't want the fans to choose between a player and the organization. These fans who have seen me, know me." - If he wanted to "hammer [this] out behind closed doors," why did he spill all to FSN's Ken Rosenthal? It's because he wanted to have public support behind him, thus pitting fans between Young and the org., the exact opposite he claims now.

I used to be a Young fan, but I'm not much of one anymore, and it has directly to do with his post-move quotes.
When I am home I read it regularly, anyway I agree with you however I was never that big of a fan of Young but this shows his true colors.

Old
01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Sony Eriksson*

30+ errors = gold glove?

Old
01-16-2009, 03:45 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Did any of you read Kevin Sherington cover article, it is truly sad. This town hasn't done anything for a decade but choke. He missed another the Desperados though.

Old
01-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Chad_

Young had only 11 errors,a low amount. One's ability to field a position is not just about handling the ball, rather it also includes an ability to get to a ball, the latter Young had problems with.

Yeah, I read Sherrington's column. It puts it all into perspective, I guess, but I still don't see how it's all that bad in comparison to many other sports towns. The Cowboys are the big disappointment, in my eyes at least, since they haven't won a playoff game in the time frame. But missing is the addition of FC Dallas and the Frisco Rough Riders, which would seem to cement the impact of sports within the Dallas area as opposed to what seems to be Sherrington's underlying premise that sports in the Dallas area has remained a constant.

ADDED: How could I forget the additions of Lone Star Park and the higher stakes racing at the venue, or Texas Motor Speedway? If anything, I'd argue the area has become more of a sports center in that time frame, though it sure would be nice if one of the local teams could win something.

Last edited by Chad_: 01-16-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old
01-29-2009, 10:09 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I know this is sort of old but the Rangers now have the ugliest batting helmets ever created.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
I know this is sort of old but the Rangers now have the ugliest batting helmets ever created.
I think they are ok....not great but not horrible!

No worse than this one:

Old
01-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
Wooo Chris Davis. Longview product.

Old
01-29-2009, 11:36 AM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Chris Davis is a hoss, I really hope he wants to be a lifer and that management will allow him to be one.

Old
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

those expos' ones are amazing

Old
01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
He's a Boras client. You've got to think he'll be in pinstripes in about 5 years. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for disappointment. At least we have Smoak waiting in the wings.

And that Expos helmet is sweet.

Old
01-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Chad_

I like the Expos helmet, not so much the new Rangers one. Considering it's the same Southwest Sports Group who designed the mustard yellow Stars alternate and the 'Mooterus,' the new Rangers helmet could be worse.

Old
02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

lol...AROD tested positive for 'Roids when he was with the Rangers and won the LVP.

Man the Rangers were the place to go if you ever wanted steroids back in the day....Palmeiro, Juan Gon, Pudge, Canseco, and more.

Old
02-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Chad_

And A-Rod knew he tested positive, yet he still has maintained his innocence. I really despise liars.

It's hard to believe Jose Canseco, out of all people, has been the most trustworthy guy in the whole steroids saga. He's correctly nailed it several times while his reputation has been continually drug through the mud by both players and journalists allegedly being objective.

Old
02-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

Wherever he goes (besides NY) they should be chanting AROID!

Old
02-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Really do begin to wonder why fans actually thought he wasn't taking them.

75% of the league is taking roids.

Old
02-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post

Any Rangers to name?

Old
02-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

I'm sure some will come up soon enough. There's bound to be some.

Old
02-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post

That's a bogus number. Seventy-five percent of professional baseball players are not and were not taking HGH. The number is very low now (teens, if that) and the number was much closer to 40 percent during the so-called 'Steroids Era.' I am fully aware of what has been reported and what has been alleged, but I've been told first-hand that figure is too high by people who would have a fairly firm grasp on baseball players during the era in discussion.

As to why did people think he wasn't on HGH, it's because no one wants to believe those whom they admire are tainted, cheaters or less than admirable people. For people like myself who grew up on the game and consider it one's first true love, the mere fact that there are some of the game's best players cheating to get a million added on to an already multi-million dollar contract and/or break an all-time record is heart-breaking.

I never liked A-Rod, but that doesn't make this news any less disheartening for me. He cheated the game. He cheated every single player who has ever suited up to play baseball, both within the professional and amateur ranks who dreamed of having a career in the game. The MLBPA knew of the problem, as did MLB, and stood by and did nothing until mandated by an over-reaching governmental inquiry.

This news isn't any more devastating than previous 'outings' of HGH users, but it's just more weight on the already breaking bridge for many people. Don't underestimate the number of people that still want to believe MLB remains relatively unchanged, the least changed pro game of the big four, and for that reason records actually mean something more than records in other sports.

Old
02-07-2009, 05:23 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I never liked A-Rod, but that doesn't make this news any less disheartening for me. He cheated the game. He cheated every single player who has ever suited up to play baseball, both within the professional and amateur ranks who dreamed of having a career in the game. The MLBPA knew of the problem, as did MLB, and stood by and did nothing until mandated by an over-reaching governmental inquiry.
He cheated on his wife with the Crypt Keeper.

Old
02-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
He cheated on his wife with the Crypt Keeper.
Haha! Yeah, he did. At least when Canseco did it, she was still good looking. But A-Rod had to swoop into Canseco's sloppy seconds after Canseco ripped him just to somehow prove he wasn't on HGH.

HGH? Maybe not, but some sort of hallucinatory drug.

Old
02-07-2009, 05:35 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Haha! Yeah, he did. At least when Canseco did it, she was still good looking. But A-Rod had to swoop into Canseco's sloppy seconds after Canseco ripped him just to somehow prove he wasn't on HGH.

HGH? Maybe not, but some sort of hallucinatory drug.
Chad_ has been suspened for 6 games for stating the obvious. He just couldn't learn from Avery's mistakes.

Elisha Cutherbt = sloppy seconds = Madonna (virgin my ***)

Closed Thread