HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack PHANTOMS (schedule within post #403)

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2009, 06:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1000
Adirondack PHANTOMS (schedule within post #403)

Last thread reached 1,000 posts.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-02-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old
02-06-2009, 06:25 PM
FlyersProspect2

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Bring them to Springfield gogogogogo

Old
02-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Before the thread closed, I was discussing why I thought it was time for the Spectrum to close. The Phantoms are minor league hockey and they bring in families and kids, and thats terrific.

Personally, I'd trade them to not sit in traffic on the way home from an event and have something to do in that area. It's otherwise a ghost town, and I'm getting a little old to be drinking after the event at a tailgate.

Old
02-06-2009, 08:26 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

I was sad to hear about the Phantoms being sold. There are one of the main reasons I'm such a huge hockey fan today. During their first season here I went to a few games (in particular a penalty filled playoff game against the Hershey Bears) that turned me from a casual fan into a fanatic. I'll have a lot of great memories of this team particularly their two calder cup runs (both of which I went to almost all of the home games).

Old
02-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I was sad to hear about the Phantoms being sold. There are one of the main reasons I'm such a huge hockey fan today. During their first season here I went to a few games (in particular a penalty filled playoff game against the Hershey Bears) that turned me from a casual fan into a fanatic. I'll have a lot of great memories of this team particularly their two calder cup runs (both of which I went to almost all of the home games).
Let me ask you something, and answer truthfully......do you honestly go to more than 5 Phantoms games a year? And, if so....do you go to more Phantoms games than Flyers games?

Old
02-06-2009, 08:53 PM
turkinaa

I'm really hoping to make it to at least one game at the Spectrum before the end of the season. School in Baltimore has really put a damper on my ability to go to games.

Old
02-06-2009, 09:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Let me ask you something, and answer truthfully......do you honestly go to more than 5 Phantoms games a year? And, if so....do you go to more Phantoms games than Flyers games?
Back when they first came around, so many people used to go. Sadly though, the attendance soon died off.

Old
02-06-2009, 11:37 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
whoever made the point about Springfield being division rivals with Hartford(NYR), Lowell(NJD), Providence(Boston). Very good point. teach em at the AHL level to build up the hatred at the AHL level. That is of course if the Flyers move there.
Springfield Phantoms. Might have to get used to that.

Old
02-07-2009, 06:15 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
Springfield Phantoms. Might have to get used to that.
My guess is that the Phantoms name will be "retired" and the franchise will get a new identity.

Old
02-07-2009, 06:35 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Back when they first came around, so many people used to go. Sadly though, the attendance soon died off.
That's because in the beginning minor league hockey in this town was a novelty and was marketed as an inexpensive alternative to the Flyers. Add to that identifiable players like Frank Bialowas and you had a successful endeavor.

After the first Calder Cup season that novelty really wore off and the organization had to scramble to re-brand the team (trading Frank Bialowas on Frank Bialowas night was probably one of the stupidest things this team ever did. Yes, they brought in Dennis Bonvie, but Bialowas was a cult hero in this city). That re-brand was today's affordable family friendly Phantoms, which cost the Phantoms many season ticket holders (myself being one of them).

Another problem is what the AHL product has become. Games like the ones that whatthef described (which I was at too and remember vividly as early in the 1st period the Phantoms were 2 men short and everyone felt the game slipping away until Bruce Coles intercepted a pass and scored a short handed goal that completely changed the game. I believe the Phantoms won that game in a blowout) are few and far between now. If the AHL was still a rough and tumble league then maybe things would be different, but as the NHL has changed so has the AHL.

All of this said I don't want people to think that I'm not a fan of this franchise because I am (although not nearly as much as I used to be). Further if there was a realistic way to keep them in town I would be all for it. However, the Spectrum has lived a good life, but is now a shell of what it once was and is a horrible venue when there is only 2000 people in the stands.

Just as we got used to having our AHL team across the parking lot, we will get used to having our AHL team somewhere else and we will just have to rely on fans in whatever city they go to to join this forum and keep us updated on how our players are doing.

Old
02-07-2009, 09:04 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
My guess is that the Phantoms name will be "retired" and the franchise will get a new identity.
Springfield Atoms?

Old
02-07-2009, 09:08 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Come to AC and revamp the Boardwalk Bullies.

Old
02-07-2009, 10:16 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Come to AC and revamp the Boardwalk Bullies.
While Peter Luukko came out and said that AC is not an option, perhaps the Brooks group feels differently, but from all of the articles it doesn't look that way.

With all due respect, AC just isn't a good spot for minor league hockey. Even the worst drawing teams draw well if they make it to their league's championship and the Bullies couldn't even do that. I went to 2 of the finals games and if there were 3000 people there (many who were Phantoms STHs) it was a lot.

Old
02-07-2009, 10:27 AM
mm6492

On a good note

I got Claude Girouxx's autograph today. I wrote a letter to him via the phantoms about 2 weeks ago and today received 2 autographs on crads

Old
02-07-2009, 10:39 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I was sad to hear the Phantoms were sold. The cup clinching game in 05 is one of my top hockey memories to date. Hopefully we will get an affiliation relatively close.

Old
02-07-2009, 12:23 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelValParanormal View Post
I was sad to hear the Phantoms were sold. The cup clinching game in 05 is one of my top hockey memories to date. Hopefully we will get an affiliation relatively close.
I agree. Obviously it wouldn't be as easy as it is now, but I always enjoyed getting to go see future Flyers trying to work their way up the big team.

Old
02-07-2009, 07:24 PM
TehBBA

Since the Penguins owner now owns them, I would assume they would become the Penguins minor league affiliate. Maybe the Flyers could poach WB/S?

Old
02-07-2009, 07:38 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBBA View Post
Since the Penguins owner now owns them, I would assume they would become the Penguins minor league affiliate. Maybe the Flyers could poach WB/S?
Do they not own Wilkes-Barre Scranton???

I am mad about the fact that it was soo easy to switch guys between teh minors and the NGHL- the orginization was pretty much 1 big system. We could easily move players back and forth- they played across teh street fg4rom each other

Old
02-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post

I am mad about the fact that it was soo easy to switch guys between teh minors and the NGHL- the orginization was pretty much 1 big system. We could easily move players back and forth- they played across teh street fg4rom each other
It was a luxury. Talk to the San Jose Sharks who had the Cleveland Barons as their farm team. Other teams have done it, are doing it, and are doing fine with their system.

Old
02-07-2009, 08:46 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post

Yes, the Pens own WB/S.

The Flyers and their AHL affiliate will now have to work like virtually every other NHL/AHL team does. Frankly it's just not that big of a deal.

Old
02-08-2009, 06:45 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I certainly hope not, but I have a feeling you could be right.

I tried to send Comcast Spectator a message via their website telling them that I was disappointed with their decision and felt that it was a bad move as they own the Flyers, so ultimately it is best for them to directly control their minor league team- but the message system wouldn't work (I'm aware the message wouldn't make any difference in what has happened).

Old
02-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
Phantoms up 1-0 vs. Bridgeport with 7 mins left in the second. Klotz is in the line up.

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1005509

Old
02-08-2009, 05:26 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
wheres Nodl at

Old
02-08-2009, 05:27 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
wheres Nodl at
Good question. He missed another game recently, but in the last game he had a goal and two assists.

Old
02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I certainly hope not, but I have a feeling you could be right.

I tried to send Comcast Spectator a message via their website telling them that I was disappointed with their decision and felt that it was a bad move as they own the Flyers, so ultimately it is best for them to directly control their minor league team- but the message system wouldn't work (I'm aware the message wouldn't make any difference in what has happened).
If the team isn't going to be in the immediate area I think, out of respect for those players that donned a Phantoms sweater that the name should be retired.

Closed Thread