HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Melanson: the jury is out...

Old
02-01-2009, 03:16 PM
FerrisRox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Theodore's decline had nothing to do with coaching, it was all the off ice crap he was involved in, both legal and illegal.
This is starting to get absurd.... Asterix actually claims that Melanson hasn't taken "any goalies anywhere near the top?"

Huh?

How about Jose Theodore winning the LEAGUE MVP!??

How is it possible that he gives Melanson no credit for that at all, yet has no problem assigning the full blame for Theodore's decline to Melanson? How ridiculous is that? Then he fully ignores all of the off-ice issues Theodore had to deal with and the fact that the Canadiens, at that time, weren't a very solid hockey club. How convinient.

The entire argument - considering the great run of goaltenders Montreal has had from Roy to Theodore to Huet to Price is beyond dumb.

He might as well be arguing that the earth is flat with his ability to ignore facts and manufacture excuses in their place. Montreal has a Hart and Vezina winner under Melanson, and the only credit Melanson gets for working with Theodore is to be blamed for his decline. Absurd.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Again tonight on the second goal... what was Price doing on his knees folks? That's a coaching problem. I'm truly concerned that Price will be a wasted talent if we don't address the situation.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Hab-a-maniac

People are panicking about Price way too much. He just got back from a ****ing ankle injury. Before it, he was awesome. Since returning, not so much and yet people are scratching their heads? Give it some time. Ankle sprains are notoriously difficult to recover from. As well, Roy may have won the 86 cup and conn smythe but that team had a collection of great rookies, solid vets and the fortune of not having to play the league best Flyers (Rangers did that for them), Caps (Rangers again) or Oilers (Flames took care of that), but he drew questions for his play in the playoffs of 1987-92.

People wondered if he was just some reg. season wonder, leaching off a solid defensive team. Price is not in unchartered territory that Roy never found himself in. People want miracles, but even if Carey went into Brodeur mode, this team could not win a cup. There's not the nucleus for playoff hockey to do it with. Carey is just one person, but all his hype is backfiring when posters wring their hands about his "emo" attitude and struggles with some shots. We're lucky to have him, so calm down. And it ain't like Halak is the superior option at this point.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
People are panicking about Price way too much. He just got back from a ****ing ankle injury. Before it, he was awesome. Since returning, not so much and yet people are scratching their heads? Give it some time. Ankle sprains are notoriously difficult to recover from. As well, Roy may have won the 86 cup and conn smythe but that team had a collection of great rookies, solid vets and the fortune of not having to play the league best Flyers (Rangers did that for them), Caps (Rangers again) or Oilers (Flames took care of that), but he drew questions for his play in the playoffs of 1987-92.

People wondered if he was just some reg. season wonder, leaching off a solid defensive team. Price is not in unchartered territory that Roy never found himself in. People want miracles, but even if Carey went into Brodeur mode, this team could not win a cup. There's not the nucleus for playoff hockey to do it with. Carey is just one person, but all his hype is backfiring when posters wring their hands about his "emo" attitude and struggles with some shots. We're lucky to have him, so calm down. And it ain't like Halak is the superior option at this point.
I think that you're misinterpreting the thread here. This is in no way a negative towards Price, but rather an observation that Melanson can't tap into his immense talent, trying to make him into a mold that doesn't fit rather than working with the skills he already has.

Price is a hybrid goalie who uses mostly the butterfly. Since in Montreal, he plays like Huet and that's not good. He allows too many goals up high or due to the fact that he's down on his knees BEFORE the shots are taken and with no one in front of him. This is coaching and my concern is that Price will never be the goalie that he can be with Melanson as a coach.

Old
02-07-2009, 12:12 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Price is a hybrid goalie who uses mostly the butterfly. Since in Montreal, he plays like Huet and that's not good. He allows too many goals up high or due to the fact that he's down on his knees BEFORE the shots are taken and with no one in front of him. This is coaching and my concern is that Price will never be the goalie that he can be with Melanson as a coach.
Price has the face of of guy who's panicking during the games. There is no goalie coach that can do anything about it. I have no idea if Melanson is good or not, but Price's problems aren't in his technique. A goalie who's on his knees too soon is a nervous goalie.

He's a kid and he has the toughest job in hockey...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 04:45 AM
GNick42

I hope my biggest fear isn't coming true...Melanson messed up Price like he has many others. Price's confidence doesn't look sharp like it was when he got to Montreal. Like to see a vet goalie bought it to partner with Price

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Price has the face of of guy who's panicking during the games. There is no goalie coach that can do anything about it. I have no idea if Melanson is good or not, but Price's problems aren't in his technique. A goalie who's on his knees too soon is a nervous goalie.

He's a kid and he has the toughest job in hockey...
I agree that he's young and has a very tough job. But knowing what I know about Price, it is truly not a concern to me.

I do strongly disagree with that his problem isn't technical. The way to hug the post, the way to go down on every shot, whether he's screened or not, the way he moves laterally, those are traits that every goalie coached by Melanson share. He's transforming every goalie into a butterfly goalie and they all struggle because they're on their knees to often and too soon.

Old
02-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
I agree that he's young and has a very tough job. But knowing what I know about Price, it is truly not a concern to me.

I do strongly disagree with that his problem isn't technical. The way to hug the post, the way to go down on every shot, whether he's screened or not, the way he moves laterally, those are traits that every goalie coached by Melanson share. He's transforming every goalie into a butterfly goalie and they all struggle because they're on their knees to often and too soon.
You've been repeating the same crap over and over without bringing any valid argument, stop bumping this thread if you're just going to repeat yourselves over and over.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
You've been repeating the same crap over and over without bringing any valid argument, stop bumping this thread if you're just going to repeat yourselves over and over.
Because it's the truth! Something needs to be done about it, that's why. Anyone who knows a thing or two about goaltending will tell you!

I'm so frustrated right now. If we keep Melanson, let's trade for a second tier goalie and get something good for Price. We're ruining him. I've been following his career for a long time and I've never seen him play like that. It's a very scary situation.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-09-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old
02-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Because it's the truth! Something needs to be done about it, that's why. Anyone who knows a thing or two about goaltending will tell you!
Then forgive me of I will wait for someone who knows a thing or two to tell me.
Price's glove side is a disaster. He's way deep in the net. Do you think someone is TELLING him to play that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post

Price can't track the puck with his glove. He's deep. has nothing to do with an ankle. He's in a huge slump.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-09-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
MayorFord

jean perron has been saying it for like forever..

WE NEED A ****ING BETTER GOALIE COACH AND A DEFENSEMEN COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** WERE ONLY FANS AND WE ****ING KNOW THIS, HOW THE **** CAN GAINEY NOT NOTICE IT?

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Again tonight on the second goal... what was Price doing on his knees folks? That's a coaching problem. I'm truly concerned that Price will be a wasted talent if we don't address the situation.
So Melanson is coaching him top go down early on high shots and play too deep in his net?

The biggest problem with Price is that his dumbass coach starts him every night despite the fact that he is struggling. Give him 1-2 games off to work with Melanson and get his game back. You can't take an extra hour of practise time when you are starting that night.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
So Melanson is coaching him top go down early on high shots and play too deep in his net?

The biggest problem with Price is that his dumbass coach starts him every night despite the fact that he is struggling. Give him 1-2 games off to work with Melanson and get his game back. You can't take an extra hour of practise time when you are starting that night.
halak was in for tonight but he was sick, so Price started.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Kirk Maltby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Then he fully ignores all of the off-ice issues Theodore had to deal with and the fact that the Canadiens, at that time, weren't a very solid hockey club. How convinient.
What are all these terrible off-ice issues that he had to deal with? Filming a commercial for Mike's?

Kirk Maltby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:37 PM
CarrePrisme

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyLecavalier View Post
What are all these terrible off-ice issues that he had to deal with? Filming a commercial for Mike's?
5 of his family members, including his father, arrested in loan shark raids.
Father-in-law, guy cloutier, arrested in sex scandal.
Ridiculous media craze over his use of propecia.

just those three put him under a lot of media attention. even when he was gone, Mtl media got all excited when he was photographed with paris hilton.

i wasn't really a fan of theo, but at one point, i felt bad for him.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Kirk Maltby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrePrisme View Post
5 of his family members, including his father, arrested in loan shark raids.
Father-in-law, guy cloutier, arrested in sex scandal.
Ridiculous media craze over his use of propecia.

just those three put him under a lot of media attention. even when he was gone, Mtl media got all excited when he was photographed with paris hilton.

i wasn't really a fan of theo, but at one point, i felt bad for him.
I just really don't see how these could explain his terrible play since his MVP season. The propecia thing blew over after a week. Everybody knew it wasn't a big deal.

Kirk Maltby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Kirk Muller

A point that i think is very valid that was made on the main board is the lack of a veteran presence for Price.

Bob Gainey has taken a 21 year old goalie and put the weight of the city and franchise on his shoulders with absolutely ZERO veteran experience behind him.

If I want my young Franchise goalie to turn into a star, i am going to put in place a backup goalie who can mentor and support him. I think this is another colossal mistake on the behalf of Gainey.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:34 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Um, members of his family being arrested and facing jail time?

Old
02-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Then forgive me of I will wait for someone who knows a thing or two to tell me.
Price's glove side is a disaster. He's way deep in the net. Do you think someone is TELLING him to play that way.
Yes, it's coaching! I've been coaching for a couple of decades, most specifically goalies and although I'm far from claiming that I'm qualified at the NHL level, it's compelling to see the resemblance in "style" (or lack of there of) between every goalie that Melanson coaches! They all go down on their knees on every shot, screened or not. They all try to anticipate instead of reacting to situations. They all move laterally on their knees across their crease, in case no one had noticed before. Did you see Huet last night? It was Price all over again! How many times did they get beat because they were on their knees HOPING for a shot when the forward made a pass across and they were totally out of position with a gaping cage? They're all weak high glove side BECAUSE THEY'RE ON THEIR ****ING KNEES all the time! It's tough to stop a high shot from your knees!

Give Melanson the boot or trade Price otherwise, he'll be a wasted talent!

Old
02-08-2009, 11:36 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
I just really don't see how these could explain his terrible play since his MVP season. The propecia thing blew over after a week. Everybody knew it wasn't a big deal.
You're guilty of serious revisionist history. Nothing blew over at all. The guy was taking crap from all sides. The Montreal media love to build up french stars then tear them down. Theodore was traded out of mercy just as much as for hockey reasons.

And if you think he's played "terribly" since his MVP season, you're not paying attention. He had a pretty solid season last year and he's currently 20-10-2 with a .900 save percentage and a 2.77 GAA this year. Pay attention.

Old
02-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

As for Theo-dwhore, he was good one year. He then regressed big time there after. Yes, he had off-ice issues but the more he worked with Melanson, it never got better did it? Now that he's away from him, he seems to be picking it up somewhat. He's another victim of Melanson's coaching, trying to make him a full out butterfly goalie without the much needed size to cover the net.

Old
02-08-2009, 11:42 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

I don't think Melanson is in favour of the goalies dropping to their knees per se.

I remember when Theo was still playing for the Habs and he was always dropping to his knees, Melanson said that Theo's problem was that he lacked confidence and that's why he went down too quickly.

And now again last night, Melanson said that he will have to work to rebuild Price's confidence. So going down too quickly isn't necessarily the style that Melanson favours but it's rather a function of the confidence of the goalie.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
I love how its Melansons fault since Price is having problems.

Did you guys ever figure out why we always had good goaltending in montreal even with average to below average goaltenders like hackett, huet and all?

Yeah, that's right.

Melanson

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:54 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
You're guilty of serious revisionist history. Nothing blew over at all. The guy was taking crap from all sides. The Montreal media love to build up french stars then tear them down. Theodore was traded out of mercy just as much as for hockey reasons.

And if you think he's played "terribly" since his MVP season, you're not paying attention. He had a pretty solid season last year and he's currently 20-10-2 with a .900 save percentage and a 2.77 GAA this year. Pay attention.
very asute u are I agree. as for Price,u guys (Most posters on here) though, all thought he was the next Ken Dryden or Patrick Roy.so much for that thought i bet.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
very asute u are I agree. as for Price,u guys (Most posters on here) though, all thought he was the next Ken Dryden or Patrick Roy.so much for that thought i bet.
Get François Allaire here and we'll see... everyone here will see.