HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

So, the lines? (yes, again....)

Old
02-08-2009, 12:01 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
So, the lines? (yes, again....)

I think its pretty obvious that the A.Kost Pleks Kovy line doesnt work and will never work again.. Last year they were dominant, this year they hurt the team everytime they touch the ice.. Carbo has to try new lines, something has to be done right now to shake this team.. So, what are your suggestions short term, being realistic?Any call up from Hamilton?

Personally Im not a big fan of Begin centering the fourth line, while its probably not the biggest concern at the moment, I think calling Chipchura up could help to stabilize the team a little bit.. Chipchura played his junior in the West and surprise surprise, we play 3 of our next 4 games in that area.. I think it could be the good moment to call him up..

I would call Weber up too and give him a real shot on the PP since no one in the team is able to take effective shots from the point.. We tried A.Kost there, Kovalev, S.Kost, Tanguay, Dags a little bit, no success.. Markov can pass the puck like no one but just cant be the one to rely on the hit the net.. Some guys need some rest anyway, guys like Gorges, OByrne, Bouillon can rest for some games, it will be beneficial for everyone..

I would sit S.Kost again, his play in the last 2 games has been brutal to say the least, he is doing a decent job on the PK but overall he is playing pretty bad, doesnt look mature enough physically to be effective..

So my line-up would look something like this:

A.Kost Koivu Dags

Higgins Plekanec Paccioretty

Kostopoulos Lapierre Kovalev

Begin Chipchura Dandeneault

extra: S.Kost

Markov Komi

Hamrlik OByrne

Bouillon\Gorges Weber

In net well, Price could save his last few games by winning in the West, where he played his junior there as well..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:05 AM
CPrice

I actually like the idea of throwing Kovy on a grinder line. It might wake his ass up. I really couldn't see him grinding it out though.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think its pretty obvious that the A.Kost Pleks Kovy line doesnt work and will never work again.. Last year they were dominant, this year they hurt the team everytime they touch the ice.. Carbo has to try new lines, something has to be done right now to shake this team.. So, what are your suggestions short term, being realistic?Any call up from Hamilton?

Personally Im not a big fan of Begin centering the fourth line, while its probably not the biggest concern at the moment, I think calling Chipchura up could help to stabilize the team a little bit.. Chipchura played his junior in the West and surprise surprise, we play 3 of our next 4 games in that area.. I think it could be the good moment to call him up..

I would call Weber up too and give him a real shot on the PP since no one in the team is able to take effective shots from the point.. We tried A.Kost there, Kovalev, S.Kost, Tanguay, Dags a little bit, no success.. Markov can pass the puck like no one but just cant be the one to rely on the hit the net.. Some guys need some rest anyway, guys like Gorges, OByrne, Bouillon can rest for some games, it will be beneficial for everyone..

I would sit S.Kost again, his play in the last 2 games has been brutal to say the least, he is doing a decent job on the PK but overall he is playing pretty bad, doesnt look mature enough physically to be effective..

A.Kost Koivu Dags

Markov Komi

Hamrlik OByrne

Bouillon\Gorges Weber

In net well, Price could save his last few games by winning in the West, where he played his junior there as well..

He was in the 5 habs tonight !! Could've had at least 3 points if only his teammated could've burried their chances...

Ohh and Kyle Chipchura is a Good AHLer at best.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Higgins-Koivu-D'Ago
Pacioretty-Lapierre-Andrei
Kostopoulos-Plekanec-Kovalev
Sergei-Chipchura-Laraque

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:12 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
He was in the 5 habs tonight !! Could've had at least 3 points if only his teammated could've burried their chances...

Yeah Erika, we all know your love for the cute little Sergei..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
I actually like the idea of throwing Kovy on a grinder line. It might wake his ass up. I really couldn't see him grinding it out though.
or we can bench him....seriously

sit his @$$ down for 1 game and teach him a ****** lesson

it worked wonders for lapierre

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:33 AM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
or we can bench him....seriously

sit his @$$ down for 1 game and teach him a ****** lesson

it worked wonders for lapierre
Realistically they arent going to scratch Kovalev.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:34 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Begin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos
Higgins-Koivu-D'Agostini
Pacioretty-Lapierre (double shift)-Laraque
Glumac-Chipchura-A.Kostitsyn

Markov-Komisarek
Markov-Harmlik
Markov (triple shift)-Hamrlik (double shift)

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Patrice Brisebois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post

I assume you're talking about the invisible Canadiens player he passed it back to when he was moving towards the net with a clear shot. Damn that invisible player, he should really bury his chances!

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:39 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Hey Erika, remember when Sergei passed on a breakaway to...nobody! Yea, I thought so.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
Realistically they arent going to scratch Kovalev.
I'm sure he would ask for a trade if that happens. Im sick of seeing him deking 1-2 guys out and create a turnover right after. It's not the All Star Game anymore.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Erythro73

A.Kost Koivu Kovalev : A. Kost seems to play very well with Koivu, and... I wonder how Kovalev would react, playing with a good center who's the heart of this team.

Higgins Plekanec Paccioretty : I think Plekanic can't play Kovalev anymore, and, well... maybe he can be create enough for Higgins, who misses 99% of his chances right now. Paccioretty is working hard enough to maybe motivate Plekanic to work harder.

Kostopoulos Lapierre D'Agostini : A very good line, if you ask me.

Begin Chipchura S.Kost : Begin puts energy, and grit. I think Chipchura may be good playing with a talented player like S. Kost... if he can be better... S.Kost is talented like hell, but he needs to get it together pretty quick, because now he is ****.

Markov / Komisarek
Hamrlik / Dandenault
Bouillon / Gorges
__________________________________________________ _______
OR
A.Kost Koivu S.Kost : I want to see the brothers again with a talented center.

Higgins Chipchura Kovalev

Kostopoulos Lapierre D'Agostini : A very good line, if you ask me.

Begin Plenanec S.Kost

Same defs.

Erythro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Stradale

Pacioretty-Koivu-A. Kostitsyn

Dont care about the rest, they will probably gonna suck anyway but put these three together and we might have something.

EDIT: Damn.. after 53 games, this team doesnt have a real 1st line yet.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:43 AM
HabzManiac

Higgins- Plekanec- A. Kostitsyn- See if Kovy off the line helps
Pacioretty-Koivu- Kovalev- What have we got to lose
S.Kostitsyn- Lapierre- D'agostini
Laraque- Begin- Kostopoulas
Dandenault

Markov Komisarek
Hamrlik- O'Byrne
Gorges- Bouillon
Brisebois

Price Halak

IR
Tanguay
Latendresse

HabzManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Hey Erika, remember when Sergei passed on a breakaway to...nobody! Yea, I thought so.
Even if it was bad, Sergei isn't close to being our worst player. He's a 2nd year player and isn't the first to have a struggle season after a first good one.

Kovalev, Plek, A.Kost, Higgins should all be looked at before S.Kost. Even D'Ago hasn't been as good as he was earlier.

As for that breakaway, if his bro would have followed through with the play, it would have been a highlight moment.

In order, Kovalev, Plekanec, Higgins and A.Kost should all be criticized before Sergei.
Our D has also been beyond pathetic.

A.Kost shouldn't be paired with Kovy, he's pretty invisible when he's paired with him. I know Kovy is trying his best, but right now he's hurting the team more than helping it. He seems to bring down every linemate he's paired with.

I'd like to see Carbo impose some type of new system instead of just letting his players play and make new lines.
I seriously can not grasp the system of this team, it just seems completely disorganized.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:52 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
sergei - saku - a-kost...sergei plays with the 2 players he has had most success with as a hab. a-kost finally the go to guy. brothers playing together along with saku's effort should create a solid work ethic from this trio.

maxpac - lappy - kovy or dago...no doubt maxpac and lappy will bring the effort every game. so place them with our most skilled player who has two guys who can get the pucks in the corner.

higgins - plek - d'ago or kovy...only line i really do not like. plek is useless. but as a 3rd line center just keep it simple and play solid defense. higgins is a great 3rd liner imo. dago is most effective on the top 2 lines. this line lacks a player who can carry the puck. so maybe switch kovy and dago. but kovy and plek is not working at all this year

laraque - begin - kosto...typical fourth line. gotta think about stewart and dandy playing here as well. this is all about energy.

all this shows is there is a real lack of finish on our team. with kovy not producing at all basically after a-kost there is no real and proven threat from the slot. even a-kost has his doubters.

these are all brand new line so they may look stupid but what the hell....losers of 7 out of our last 9...we have to do something to find a spark.

although i do think maxpac - koivu - akost would be a very solid line. i wouldnt like any combination of our next 2 lines.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:58 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Even if it was bad, Sergei isn't close to being our worst player. He's a 2nd year player and isn't the first to have a struggle season after a first good one.

Kovalev, Plek, A.Kost, Higgins should all be looked at before S.Kost. Even D'Ago hasn't been as good as he was earlier.

As for that breakaway, if his bro would have followed through with the play, it would have been a highlight moment.

In order, Kovalev, Plekanec, Higgins and A.Kost should all be criticized before Sergei.
Our D has also been beyond pathetic.

A.Kost shouldn't be paired with Kovy, he's pretty invisible when he's paired with him. I know Kovy is trying his best, but right now he's hurting the team more than helping it. He seems to bring down every linemate he's paired with.

I'd like to see Carbo impose some type of new system instead of just letting his players play and make new lines.
I seriously can not grasp the system of this team, it just seems completely disorganized.
thats what i was thinking after i saw the play. yes it turned out to look like a horrible play by sergei. but if andrei continued to drive towards the net he would have been in position to receive the pass.

but driving to the net is a foreing concept to many of these players so sergei should have known better

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:58 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

A.Kost Koivu Dags

Markov Komi
Hamrlik OByrne
Bouillon\Gorges Weber

AKost-Koivu-Dags
Pacioretty-Lapierre-Kovalev
Higgins-Plekanec-Kostopoulos
SKost-Begin-Laraque/Dandy
IR: Tanguay (put in AKost spot, AKost to Kostop's spot, Kostop to 4th RW)

Markov-Gorges
Hamrlik-O'Byrne
Bouillon-Komisarek
extra: Brisebois

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:07 AM
couris

Sergei been playing well lately. You can also see the effort his there.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:04 AM
BigBen07

Id like to see:

D'ago-Saku-Andrei (this is the line i'd like to see for an extended period to see if there is any magic
Higgins-Lappy-Patches ( I think could be a tough line to play against)
Sk-Pleks-Kovy ( Tanguay for SK when he returns- not to optimistic about this line but we'lll see)
Laraque/Dandy(depending on matchup)-Begin-Kosto

Like i said id like to see that Saku line the most. Whatever way the other 4 wingers ( Patches, KOvy, SK and Higgins are spread out between Lappy and Pleks is fine, just have to find the right mix)

Markov-Komisarek
Hammer-OByrne
Georges-Briser/Dandy/Bouillon ( would probably be my depth chart for the 6th dman now)

We need help on the back end! Until then just have to hope everyone picks their game up.

Price
Halak

Seems most people have the same kind of idea. Break up the Pleks-AK-Kovy line and make sure Andrei is away from Kovy. Hopefully we see some change come Monday night.

Go Habs Go!

BigBen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:07 AM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
No Doubt! i think Sergei has 3 assists in his last 3 games and they were all due to hard forechecking..

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:11 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Higgins-Plekanec-A. Kost
Kostopolous-Koivu-D'Agostini
Pacioretty-Lapierre-S. Kost
Laraque-Begin-Kovalev

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Thinkbig

Bench Sergei?

I thought he played well...

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Ross MacLochness

After Carbonneau went back to Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev for the 5th time this year I've stopped wasting energy worrying about the lines. It's obvious he doesn't have a ****ing clue what to do at this point.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Belso

Can I say something about lines? I can understand a little chemistry, but WTF? These are NHL players. I know this isn't the 80's anymore, but how could it be possible that a player will only perform when he gels with only 1 or 2 players on the team?

Ok let me explain. They play Carbo's system. Depending on who has the puck and where that person is, you play a certain way. For example, if Max Pac, or Lapierre or Latendresse goes into the corner, why should it matter who they are playing with if they are told by Crabo to get the puck to the player going to the net? It could be Andrei or Saku or Kovy or Sergei, etc..

So you CAN play better with team mates that you have more chemistry with, but it shouldn't make you a complete failure if you don't play with certain players...

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing, "they just haven't found the right lines". It's hockey. Besides, Komi and Markov are on the ice so often that they are part of the lines too. Markov is also always on the power play.. You can't tell me that they can't learn to play with this guy after two seasons...

So IMO it's not the lines that makes the difference.. Hockey is hockey! It's not football. The plays are simple enough to be able to make things happen no matter who you play with each night..

The problem seem to be deeper. They can't execute plays. They miss open nets, missed pass, hit posts, make too many blind passes, too many soft passes which turn into turnovers and they try to be too creative.

This is why they aren't playing well. It has nothing to do with who they play with.. I think the players are starting to "Beleive" that it has to do with whom they play with.. And if a game goes well and their line produces they gain confidence and start to execute plays better and believe it's because they found the right formula..

Here's my magic formula.. Beat the players to the puck, go to the net when you have to, don't get too fancy, don't panic, don't go down on your knees too fast, don't make soft passes, if a pass seems impossible that's because it probably is and shoot to the net and try to get rebounds instead. etc.

Play hockey already!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote