HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2008-2009 Hartford Wolf Pack thread (con't...)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2009, 11:52 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Game 49:Manchester Monarchs 6 @ Hartford Wolf Pack 3

Game 49:Manchester Monarchs 6 @ Hartford Wolf Pack 3
The Manchester Monarchs deserved a better fate than they received in a 4-3 loss in the home end of their current home-and-home series with the Hartford Wolf Pack last Saturday. They earned it in Hartford on Wednesday night by capitalizing on a second period Wolf Pack collapse and a 3-for-6 power play performance en route to a 6-3 victory.

The Wolf Pack got off to a good start, dominating the early minutes of play and earning the first lead of the game on the power play at 6:24. Artem Anisimov, fresh from his debut with the New York Rangers on Tuesday night, controlled the puck in the right corner and fed it up to the right point where Corey Potter teed up a slap shot that was blocked in front but found its way on to the stick of P.A. Parenteau at the left side of the net. Parenteau backhanded the puck past starting goaltender Daniel Taylor for his 21st goal of the season, tying Anisimov for the team lead in goals.

Manchester answered on a power play of their own less than two minutes later when Brian Fahey lost track of left wing Matt Moulson, who took a feed in the slot from Marty Murray, who was stationed behind the net, and one-timed it past Hartford starter Matt Zaba’s glove.

The goal brought the Monarchs to life, and from there on out, the visitors out-worked, out-thought and out-hit the home team. After finishing the first period tied with nine shots on goal apiece, Manchester put up a dominant 17-8 lead in shots in the second period (34-26 over all) while tallying three straight goals in the first 12:37 of the frame.

At 4:13 the game’s eventual first star, 19-year old Russian defenseman Viatcheslav Voynov, a former national team teammate of Anisimov’s who was a healthy scratch in Saturday’s match, took a shot from the top of the right circle which was blocked in the slot, but squirted free from a tangle of bodies to AHL All-Star Justin Azevedo. Azevedo, who was wide open right in front of Zaba, took his time, forcing Zaba to make the first move before putting it in the top corner with just one second remaining on a Wolf Pack penalty.

Only 25 seconds later Slovakian winger Vladimir Dravecky found a pinching Voynov in the right circle. Voynov one-timed the puck past Zaba for his second goal of the season to make it 3-1.

Manchester extended its lead to 4-1 at 12:37 of the period when Murray was allowed to take multiple whacks at a rebound of Moulson’s shot before he poked it behind Zaba for his eighth of the season.

In a period in which they were thoroughly dominated Hartford finally showed some signs of life in the closing minutes. Left wing Brodie Dupont kicked things off with a bone-crunching hit in the defensive zone, which turned into a rush up ice. Once inside the Manchester zone, Parenteau earned his 55th point of the season when he fed Jordan Owens in the high slot. Owens hesitated a split second as Anisimov skated through the crease, timing the screen perfectly and beating Taylor for his ninth of the season to cut the deficit to two goals at 17:54.

It looked like the Wolf Pack might be able to make a game of it when Manchester defenseman Joe Piskula was whistled for holding with 39 seconds remaining in the period. But Pack blueliner Potter evened things up 26 seconds later when he was assessed a goaltender interference penalty after bumping Taylor in the crease.

That penalty would come back to haunt Hartford early in the third period when Scott Parse expertly deflected defenseman Alec Martinez’s slap shot from the point past Zaba while the teams were skating four-on-four. The tally effectively ended any hopes of a Wolf Pack comeback.

Each team would add another goal in the last two minutes of the game. With Devin DiDiomete in the box for charging, Manchester picked up its third power play goal of the game at 18:35 when David Meckler scored off the rebound of a Trevor Lewis shot as he was falling to the ice.

Dale Weise tallied the final Wolf Pack goal with 1.1 seconds remaining when a wide shot from Potter bounced off the back boards to where he was stationed near the left post. Weise backhanded the puck past Taylor for his second goal in as many games.

The loss ended Hartford’s three-game winning streak, giving them a record of 25-19-2-3 for 55 points, good for third in the Atlantic Division behind Providence (57 points) and Worcester (56). Portland remains just two points behind the Pack with a game in hand.

Notes:
* Brandon Sugden returned to the lineup after missing two games with a hand injury.
* Defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti was a -2 on the night, dropping his team worst plus-minus rating to -17. Tom Pyatt was also -2.
* Zaba was a nominee for both the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week award for the week ending February 1, 2009 and the Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender of the Month for January.
* With a goal and an assist, Parenteau increased his team scoring lead over Anisimov to four points and has points in all but two of his last 17 games (9 goals, 18 assists). Anisimov has picked up at least a point in all but two of his last 19 games (10 goals, 15 assists).
* The contest featured three fights: Devin DiDiomete vs. Richard Clune, DiDiomete vs. Josh Kidd, and Dale Weise vs. Andrew Campbell. None of them were particularly noteworthy or had a clear winner.

Scoring:
1. Parenteau (21) (Potter, Anisimov) 6:24 (PP)
1. Moulson (8) (Murray, Purcell) 8:20 (PP)
2. Azevedo (6) (Voynov, Lewis) 4:13 (PP)
2. Voynov (5) (Dravecky, Meckler) 4:38
2. Murray (8) (Moulson, Piskula) 12:37
2. Owens (9) (Parenteau, Fahey) 17:54
3. Parse (13) (Martinez, Bagnall) 0:27
3. Meckler (11) (Lewis, Gauthier) 18:35 (PP)
3. Weise (5) (Potter, Sauer) 19:58

Lines:
Owens - Rissmiller - Weise
Dupont - Anisimov - Parenteau
Pyatt - Ouellette - Ford
DiDiomete - Moore - Sugden

Potter - Sanguinetti
Nightingale - Sauer
Urquhart - Fahey

Zaba / Daigneault

Three Stars:
1. Viatcheslav Voynov
2. Marty Murray
3. Matt Moulson

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...tfords-streak/

Last edited by squishy: 02-05-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old
02-05-2009, 12:00 AM
squishy

Btw, Trxjw... stop directing the Anisimov-hating riff-raff to this thread.

Old
02-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Yeah, it's not needed.

This is the love Artem thread.

Old
02-05-2009, 12:50 AM
lucky13
Iron Chic

hey sqish, jarrko..... always appreciate your thoughts and recaps with everything pack related..... that said ....i hope you dont mind but ive got just a couple of questions ...

1. sangs n sauer both play the right side...now is that exclusively for both of them ...meaning neither one can play the left with any authority....and if the can...have they ever been lined up together?
being how mikes a big stay at home somewhat of a banger kind of guy...with good mobility, and sangs bein very gifted offensively, knowing when to rush the puck.....you know what all rangers still dream of ....a semi duo of leetch and beuk....obviously wont be the same...but i think you get what im saying...

2 dane byers....im a big fan of his game...hes got decent actually under rated hands..a big body and hes not afarid to get dirty...the rangers really need a player like that...im pretty sure hes got what it takes to make it to the big show...but i cant find anything about injury updates...just the basics that were released when he 1st got hurt....

thanks guys

joey c

edit.....by the way.....huge fan of AA......been watching closely since hes arrived in n.america

Old
02-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

I'm not sure about whether Sauer and Sangs can play the other D side or not, maybe Squish will know.

Byers is on track with his injury. I doubt he'll return this year. I guess there's a chance. I forget what the last status on that was.

Old
02-05-2009, 08:21 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
1. sangs n sauer both play the right side...now is that exclusively for both of them ...meaning neither one can play the left with any authority....and if the can...have they ever been lined up together?
being how mikes a big stay at home somewhat of a banger kind of guy...with good mobility, and sangs bein very gifted offensively, knowing when to rush the puck.....you know what all rangers still dream of ....a semi duo of leetch and beuk....obviously wont be the same...but i think you get what im saying...
As far as I can remember, Sauer's never played the left side in his time in Hartford, and Sanguinetti definitely hasn't. Sanguinetti's been paired with Corey Potter almost exclusively this season.

I think the Rangers are hoping that Staal and Sanguinetti are that Leetch/Beuk-esque pairing of the future. Not that Staal is as physical as Beuk, of course, but his talent lies in the defensive end rather than the offensive, while Sanguinetti is the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
2 dane byers....im a big fan of his game...hes got decent actually under rated hands..a big body and hes not afarid to get dirty...the rangers really need a player like that...im pretty sure hes got what it takes to make it to the big show...but i cant find anything about injury updates...just the basics that were released when he 1st got hurt....
Byers guested as color commentator during the Pack's road trip to Manitoba about a month ago and said his recovery is on schedule, which means a mid- to late-April return, meaning he probably won't be back unless the Pack get through the first round of the playoffs.

And I agree that his hands (and everything else) are extremely underrated amongst folks around here.

Old
02-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Btw, Trxjw... stop directing the Anisimov-hating riff-raff to this thread.
You all are supposed to punish them. That's why we keep you in here.

Old
02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You all are supposed to punish them. That's why we keep you in here.
Ha! Unless, as a moderator, you're giving me multiple get out of jail free cards, that's not a good plan.

When the kid finally does make the NHL full time I think I'm going to have to retire from HF Boards. Because once the less-knowledgeable masses start labeling him a "bust" because he doesn't score 50 goals in his first season (or better yet a "lazy Russian" because he doesn't run around hitting everything that moves) I'll be unable to behave like the lady *cough* I am. Better to retire early than get myself banned.

Old
02-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Ha! Unless, as a moderator, you're giving me multiple get out of jail free cards, that's not a good plan.

When the kid finally does make the NHL full time I think I'm going to have to retire from HF Boards. Because once the less-knowledgeable masses start labeling him a "bust" because he doesn't score 50 goals in his first season (or better yet a "lazy Russian" because he doesn't run around hitting everything that moves) I'll be unable to behave like the lady *cough* I am. Better to retire early than get myself banned.

Believe me, I feel your pain. I vow to hand out more pardon's than Bill Clinton.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Levitate

Quote:
(or better yet a "lazy Russian" because he doesn't run around hitting everything that moves)
"He doesn't use his size enough! He needs to develop a mean streak!"

Old
02-05-2009, 01:52 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
"He doesn't use his size enough! He needs to develop a mean streak!"

Old
02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
gravytrain6t

Squishy...

Do you have any idea how Byers recovery is coming a long. I know he's out for the season. But as far as you know, is his rehabilitation coming a long smoothly? He's my favorite player in Hartford and IMO, the Rangers best prospect. That's why I'm so concerned.

The ACL is in the knee area correct? So is it just a matter of keeping the knee stable and letting it heal? I know your not a doctor. I'm just really concerned how he's coming along with the injury.

Has anyone said anything who covers the Pack? Any setbacks? Have any other hockey players had/have this problem?

Any type of info. you give would be greatly appreciated.

Old
02-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Do you have any idea how Byers recovery is coming a long. I know he's out for the season. But as far as you know, is his rehabilitation coming a long smoothly? He's my favorite player in Hartford and IMO, the Rangers best prospect. That's why I'm so concerned.

The ACL is in the knee area correct? So is it just a matter of keeping the knee stable and letting it heal? I know your not a doctor. I'm just really concerned how he's coming along with the injury.

Has anyone said anything who covers the Pack? Any setbacks? Have any other hockey players had/have this problem?

Any type of info. you give would be greatly appreciated.

Look up like 6 posts....

Quote:
Byers guested as color commentator during the Pack's road trip to Manitoba about a month ago and said his recovery is on schedule, which means a mid- to late-April return, meaning he probably won't be back unless the Pack get through the first round of the playoffs.

And I agree that his hands (and everything else) are extremely underrated amongst folks around here.

Old
02-06-2009, 01:33 PM
squishy

Hartford Wolf Pack head coach Ken Gernander was a guest on NHL Home Iceís Hockey This Morning show on Thursday and discussed the teamís season thus far, the progress of top prospects Artem Anisimov and Bobby Sanguinetti, encorcer Brandon Sugdenís role as a mentor, and his own relationship with Wolf Pack General Manager Jim Schoenfeld and the Rangers/Wolf Pack organization itself. You can listen to a replay of what he had to say on AHL Live.

http://ahl.neulion.com/team/console.jsp?catid=3&id=1743

Old
02-07-2009, 01:58 PM
squishy

Potter's been returned to Hartford. I presume he'll play tonight.

Old
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Potter's been returned to Hartford. I presume he'll play tonight.
Can you imagine what kind of stuff he has to tell the kids on the Pack after being a part of that debacle last night?

I bet they all just can't wait to be a part of the big club now.

Old
02-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Can you imagine what kind of stuff he has to tell the kids on the Pack after being a part of that debacle last night?

I bet they all just can't wait to be a part of the big club now.
Let's not project our problems with the Rangers onto the Wolfpack.

I'm sure the youngins' don't think of themselves as part of the problem. If anything, they're young enough and optimistic enough about their chances of making it in the NHL to think they can actually help solve some of the problems the organization is facing.

Old
02-07-2009, 04:11 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I'm sure the youngins' don't think of themselves as part of the problem. If anything, they're young enough and optimistic enough about their chances of making it in the NHL to think they can actually help solve some of the problems the organization is facing.
This

If a player is going to be upset because they've been thrown into an environment that's not completely ideal then they can go screw themselves. 90% of character is built through adversity

Old
02-07-2009, 04:43 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Let's not project our problems with the Rangers onto the Wolfpack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
This

If a player is going to be upset because they've been thrown into an environment that's not completely ideal then they can go screw themselves. 90% of character is built through adversity
It was a joke...obviously a minor league player on any team would prefer to be playing for an NHL team.

Jeez...

Old
02-07-2009, 05:05 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It was a joke...obviously a minor league player on any team would prefer to be playing for an NHL team.

Jeez...
Liar

Old
02-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
This

I know what you're saying, but a good argument can be made that success builds character too. Knowing how to win is just as important--perhaps even more important--as surviving adversity.

Old
02-07-2009, 10:14 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

Its going to be the Sean Avery thread as soon as his plane lands.

Old
02-08-2009, 01:22 AM
squishy

Game 50: Hartford Wolf Pack 3 @ Springfield Falcons 2

Game 50: Hartford Wolf Pack 3 @ Springfield Falcons 2
A week ago the Hartford Wolf Pack stole a 4-3 win in Manchester when they connected for two third period goals on only four shots. On Saturday they cashed in on three of just nine shots they put on the net through the first 44 minutes of play to defeat the floundering Springfield Falcons by a final score of 3-2.

Hartfordís 16 shots tied a franchise record low for shots on goal in a game set in their inaugural season a dozen years ago.

All three Wolf Pack goals game during special teams play. Two were scored with the team shorthanded, including the unassisted game-winner by first star Brodie Dupont at 3:58 of the third. With Artem Anisimov in the penalty box serving his second minor penalty of the game, Dupont poked the puck out of the Hartford zone and past Falcons defenseman Taylor Chorney, who stumbled, allowing the Hartford winger to skate in solo on Springfield netminder Devan Dubnyk. Dupont pulled the puck to his backhand as Dubnyk attempted the poke-check, and put it over the sprawling goalie for his tenth tally of the season. With the goal the unsung hero of the Packís leading line topped last yearís rookie marks of nine goals and 23 points.

Hartfordís first shorthanded goal of the night had come at 7:04 of the first period from an unlikely source. Belorussian defenseman Vladimir Denisov, whoís been the odd man out for three straight games and has missed 12 of the last 15 due to a combination of illness and healthy scratches, fired a snap shot over Dubnykís glove from just inside the Springfield blue line. The goal came while Corey Potter, fresh from Friday nightís debacle in Dallas with the Rangers, was serving one of two hooking penalties he was whistled for on the night.

Denisovís shot was one of only four the Pack would muster through the first twenty minutes. At the other end of the ice, Matt Zaba made his fourth consecutive start, and stopped all nine first period shots he faced.

The shot differential would only get worse in the second session. As it was on Wednesday against the Monarchs, the second period proved troublesome for the Pack in Springfild, as they allowed 16 shots on Zabaís net while putting only two of their own on the Springfield goal.

Two of Springfieldís second period shots would find their way past Zaba. The first came just 1:03 into the period when Guillaume Lefebvre came out of the right side corner with the puck and fed Wethersfield, CT native Colin McDonald in the right circle for a one-timer that beat Zaba high on the glove side.

Anisimov answered back for the Pack exactly four minutes later on the power play. P.A. Parenteau, who earned the lone assist on Denisovís tally, picked up his second helper when he threaded a perfect pass through the crease to Anisimov, who was stationed off the right post. The 20-year old center had plenty of time to set himself and roof the puck over Dubnyk, regaining sole possession of the team lead in goals with his 22nd of the year.

The Falcons would get a power play goal of their own, on a 5-on-3, after Anisimov was whistled for hooking at 12:41 while killing a penalty called on Jared Nightingale 38 seconds earlier. Springfield leading scorer Ryan Potulny knotted the score at two when he put home the rebound of Viacheslav Trukhnoís shot from the right circle at 13:43.

That set the table for Dupontís shorthanded game-winner early in the third. Once again the home team out shot the visitors in the period, but by a less remarkable 12-10 margin. One of those Hartford shots came on a penalty shot that was awarded to Parenteau after he had his feet taken out from under him by former Pack defenseman Jake Taylor at 16:50 of the period. Parenteau was unable to elevate the puck on his penalty shot attempt, allowing Dubnyk to make the pad stop to hold Hartfordís lead at one. But Zaba was equal to the task, stopping everything the Falcons threw at him in the closing minutes of the game.

Dubyk finished the game with 13 saves on 16 shots, while Zaba earned third star honors by stopping 35 of 37 shots he faced. With his recent strong play, Zaba has eclipsed Hartford number one goaltender Mikka Wiikman, who remains out with an undisclosed illness, in both goals against (2.72 to 2.74) and save percentage (.907 to .904).

Hartfordís third consecutive road win improved their record away from the XL Center to 10-10-2-1, bringing their road record to the .500 mark for the first time this season. With an over all record of 26-19-2-3 the Wolf Pack now have 57 points, good for sole possession of second place in the Atlantic Division, two points back of Providence and one ahead of Worcester. Springfield is wallowing in last place in the division with a 16-26-6-1 record for 39 points, just a point ahead of the Rochester Americans for last place in the league.

Hartford travels to Lowell on Sunday to face the baby Devils, who currently rank fifth in the Atlantic with 50 points and two games in hand.

Notes:
* Parenteauís two assists give him 57 points in 50 games and move him into a tie for third over all in AHL scoring with former Wolf Pack forward Alexandre Giroux. He has seven points in his last three games, and 24 in his last 14. The Packís leading point-getter has only been held off the scoreboard once in that span.
* Anisimovís goal gives him 22 on the season, good for eight in the league. His 52 points in 50 games puts him in a three-way tie for fourth place in AHL scoring. His 10 power play goals tie him for seventh in the league.
* Jordan Owens appears to have suffered an injury in the game, though itís not clear when or what it might have been. He didnít play in the final period of the game, and missed a good chunk, if not the entire second period.
* Matt Stefanishion returned to the line-up after missing the Packís last game and four of the last five as a healthy scratch. Matthew Ford took his seat in the press box as a healthy scratch. David Urquhart joined him to make room for Denisovís return.

Scoring:
1. Denisov (2) (Parenteau) 7:04 (SH)
2. McDonald (4) (Lefebvre, Spurgeon) 1:03
2. Anisimov (22) (Parenteau, Sanguinetti) 5:03 (PP)
2. Potulny (21) (Trukhno, Schremp) 13:43 (PP)
3. Dupont (10) 3:58 (SH)

Lines:
Dupont - Anisimov - Parenteau
Owens - Rissmiller - Stefanishion
Pyatt - Ouellette - Weise
DiDiomete - Moore - Sugden

Potter - Sauer
Denisov - Fahey
Nightingale - Sanguinetti

Zaba / Daigneault

Three Stars:
1. Brodie Dupont
2. Colin McDonald
3. Matt Zaba

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...n-springfield/

Old
02-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Quote:
Two of Springfieldís second period shots would find their way past Zaba. The first came just 1:03 into the period when Guillaume Lefebvre came out of the right side corner with the puck and fed Wethersfield, CT native Colin McDonald in the right circle for a one-timer that beat Zaba high on the glove side.
My home town.

I still remember when Colin was drafted. He graduated in the same class as my sister. Very cool stuff. I hope he reaches his potential someday.

Anyways, just like always, fun game up in Springy. When those two teams get together it's something special. Especially atmosphere wise in a small arena like theirs. I couldn't believe they only had 6 shots after two periods. I guess if you added up all the blocked shots and missed shots it wouldn't look so bad but it doesn't work like that! A win's a win, they deserved this one.

Old
02-08-2009, 02:05 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
My home town.

I still remember when Colin was drafted. He graduated in the same class as my sister. Very cool stuff. I hope he reaches his potential someday.

Anyways, just like always, fun game up in Springy. When those two teams get together it's something special. Especially atmosphere wise in a small arena like theirs. I couldn't believe they only had 6 shots after two periods. I guess if you added up all the blocked shots and missed shots it wouldn't look so bad but it doesn't work like that! A win's a win, they deserved this one.
Did you notice anything (injury-wise) with Owens away from the play or anything? There was no mention of him being missing, but he definitely didn't play in the 3rd, and neither my husband or I could remember seeing or hearing his name in the 2nd.

Closed Thread