HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the main problem with our team ?

View Poll Results: What' the main problem with our team
Lack of offensive D-Men to replace Streit 18 18.75%
We badly need a real first line center to setup Andrei 30 31.25%
Goltending 11 11.46%
All that problem must be fixed 37 38.54%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2009, 09:23 AM
cguerin

vCash: 500
What's the main problem with our team ?

Personnaly, i think that we need a fisrt line center to replace Plek. Andrei has never the puck to shoot.... i strongly believe that if he play with a guy like Savard, he'll have many 40 goals seasons. So with a trade including Plek and Higgins , may be we can find a guy like that.... tought

Last edited by cguerin: 02-08-2009 at 09:30 AM.
cguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:27 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Sure, Price hasn't been good. But the team had to expect him to only let in one goal in the last two games for Montreal to win. That's unacceptable. Yes, the team can't win games having to score 4 or 5 goals because Price is not playing well right now. But on the other hand, the team can't win games not finishing chances and making it a priority that Carey Price must be superhuman for them to win.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:29 AM
JrHockeyFan

It isn't listed, but we lack a bonafide scorer. Not a setup guy, a guy that buries the chances.

Seems like every game we are behind on the board one way or another.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Where's the lack of team chemistry/team effort?

It really doesn't look as if everybody is on the same page.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:33 AM
evilstanley

team is not reacting to adversity
carey is giving away one or two terrible goals EVERY game
power play is dormant
kovalev and andrei are invisible

kostopoulos is our best forward

my 2 cents

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:42 AM
goldglove

where is the Rolan Melanson option ? Does he have a lifetime contract a la Dipietro ?

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:49 AM
ToysInTheAttic

I think it is time for Kovalev to move on. I agree with McGuire when he says that Kovy's lack of desire and intensity is a bad influence on the rest of the team. AK46 and Plekanec were playing good hockey until re-united with Kovy. Kovy has great trade value and would be a good fit with another team, in return the Habs would get a player or two that would better fit the Habs speed. I really think that if the Habs make a move at the trade deadline it will involve Kovalev. In a way I would miss him as he has been my favourite Hab since he joined the team, but right now I do not think he is a good fit for the team.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:01 AM
SherbrookeW

Can we have some rational analysis of this team and its problems? It's not that hard -- and no, the idea that they're "soft" or "don't care" or "lack grit" doesn't help at all. ( If you think the reason that NHL players play badly is because they're uninterested or cowardly how do all of us explain our hockey careers? Are we not in the NHL because when we played we were soft and scared? Or because we didn't have the right skills, natural or learned?)
Here are the problems,and those responsible, as I see them after forty years of Habdom:
1. Carey Price: obviously, Gainey made a serious error in turning the job over to him before he was really ready. (Unless one believes that the Huet trade was essentially a mistake predicated on thinking we'd get Hossa and another goalie.) He's been shaky since the playoffs, the whole league has a book on him (it has one chapter:"High, Glove Side" ), and he is losing his confidence nightly. This could be a real disaster in the making, since a goalie without confidence is a goalie without a future. Fault: Gainey. Cure: rest , and better coaching.
2. Kovalev. His problems have nothing whatever to do with a "lack of desire" or whatever the haters are saying this week, and everything to do with a loss of speed. It happens to all highly skilled players eventually; it happened to Guy Lafleur a lot sooner than it's happened to Kovy. But now it has happened, and he won't get that step back. So what to do? He has zero trade value, unless Detroit or someone wants additional Cup insurance. The only thing to do is to let him play his game, and pray that we make the playoffs and he finds himself on the pp. Yes, it's a remote chance. But there's no better plan. Fault: Gainey, again, for not seeing this coming, and Carbo for not adjusting to the reality but getting mad at it.
3. Now the real heart of the problem: both Kosts, Plekanec, Higgins, Komi...with the exception of Markov, who was playing his way up from All-Star to Norris candidate, and maybe Lapierre, who's great but a third liner, all of the bright young talent on this team has either stalled this year or gone backwards. They were talented youngsters on their way to being solid NHLers and maybe stars, and they have not made even normal progression. Why is that? Does anyone doubt that Higgins on the Islanders (or AK 46 on , say, Atlanta) would be scoring far more. In brief, the problem again is coaching. Carbo forgets Scotty Bowman's basic rule : everyone has a role, and everyone has to play it. Scorers score, checkers check, fighters fight, occasionally. LEt's adapt to this rule, set the skaters free, and see what happens.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Motivation, a mean streak. They do not have any.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:02 AM
goldglove

My Opinion:

50 % of our team does not know where they will play next year. How can they be effective in their job and the team ? I mean, everybody who starts to be worried about their future is not has effective in their job. But Gainey can't sign everyone so he can't make everyone happy.

Tanguay
Koivu
Kovalev
Lang
Higgins
Plekanec
Begin
Kostopoulos
Latendresse
D'Agostini
Bouillon
Dandenault
Komisarek
Brisebois

Gainey have to sign the players he wants to keep next year and trade the others.

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:03 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
Motivation, a mean streak. They do not have any.
This !

The personel is there but no one seems to want to step up, no one is taking control. The team is just strolling towards the offseason.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Talent Analyst

We need a first line center! Koivu can't play more than 17 minutes, Plekanek don't deserve to play more than Koivu and Lapierre, well, have to play more because of those two center.

We will finally have a real first line when we will have a first line center. We have to reevaluate the job Plekanek is doing right now, because I don't think he's a third line center.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:08 AM
goalchenyuk

we just need to call the Super K

The Inkredibles will save us !!!

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:25 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
we just need to call the Super K

The Inkredibles will save us !!!

That made my day

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:36 AM
MrNasty

e) lazy play. They are not playing with any desperation or enthusiasm...that is their problem.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Belso

I wrote this before, but let me say it again:

Can I say something about lines? I can understand a little chemistry, but WTF? These are NHL players. I know this isn't the 80's anymore, but how could it be possible that a player will only perform when he gels with only 1 or 2 players on the team?

Ok let me explain. They play Carbo's system. Depending on who has the puck and where that person is, you play a certain way. For example, if Max Pac, or Lapierre or Latendresse goes into the corner, why should it matter who they are playing with if they are told by Crabo to get the puck to the player going to the net? It could be Andrei or Saku or Kovy or Sergei, etc..

So you CAN play better with team mates that you have more chemistry with, but it shouldn't make you a complete failure if you don't play with certain players...

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing, "they just haven't found the right lines". It's hockey. Besides, Komi and Markov are on the ice so often that they are part of the lines too. Markov is also always on the power play.. You can't tell me that they can't learn to play with this guy after two seasons...

So IMO it's not the lines that makes the difference.. Hockey is hockey! It's not football. The plays are simple enough to be able to make things happen no matter who you play with each night..

The problem seem to be deeper. They can't execute plays. They miss open nets, missed pass, hit posts, make too many blind passes, too many soft passes which turn into turnovers and they try to be too creative.

This is why they aren't playing well. It has nothing to do with who they play with.. I think the players are starting to "Believe" that it has to do with whom they play with.. And if a game goes well and their line produces they gain confidence and start to execute plays better and believe it's because they found the right formula..

Here's my magic formula.. Beat the players to the puck, go to the net when you have to, don't get too fancy, don't panic, don't go down on your knees too fast, don't make soft passes, if a pass seems impossible that's because it probably is and shoot to the net and try to get rebounds instead. etc.

Play hockey already!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Kaptain Bégin

The biggest inkredibles should be Komisarek, no?

All the answers are good, but none are the only good answer.

I think they're simply a young team who try to learn playing and winning together. Our best player should be Carey Price. It's him who will bring the next Stanley cup. But how many 21 years old goalie won he cup without any bad game or bad streak. At the same time last year, Price was in the AHL to regain confidence. After he come back, he finish his season with great performances and the 5th save %. Don't give up on him, it's a mather of time. Same thing with Kost brothers and some others.

I think they're a good team, not a great one. Our vets take to much place on the locker room. It's their job, but I think we build a young team and after that, we bring some vets to complete. It should be Komo's teams, Price team, Gorges team. They are the future of the team and Koivu, Kovalev, Brisebois and Lang will not be with the team when Stanley will be back in the right place, Montreal.

Bob must finished what he begin. Give the team to the youngters!

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
nnynetpotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
My Opinion:

50 % of our team does not know where they will play next year. How can they be effective in their job and the team ? I mean, everybody who starts to be worried about their future is not has effective in their job. But Gainey can't sign everyone so he can't make everyone happy.

Tanguay
Koivu
Kovalev
Lang
Higgins
Plekanec
Begin
Kostopoulos
Latendresse
D'Agostini
Bouillon
Dandenault
Komisarek
Brisebois

Gainey have to sign the players he wants to keep next year and trade the others.
+1.Explains the motivation and grit issues as well

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Frank Doby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
We need a first line center! Koivu can't play more than 17 minutes, Plekanek don't deserve to play more than Koivu and Lapierre, well, have to play more because of those two center.

We will finally have a real first line when we will have a first line center. We have to reevaluate the job Plekanek is doing right now, because I don't think he's a third line center.
It is true. We have 2 first line wingers but a great hole in center. Is it so difficult to see it Bob Gainey

Last edited by Frank Doby: 02-08-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Frank Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

In no particular order:
  • Lack of skilled grit and size, along with desire

• Lack of a top 4 defenseman with some offensive upside to help Markov

• Lack of at least one true sniper who will capitalize on scoring opportunities instead of hitting the post or missing the net

• Lack of a veteran backup goaltender to help Price in his development

• Lack of a quality goaltending coach

• Lack of a true coach for the defense, ala Jacques Laperrière in the good ol' days

• Lack of pride for wearing the CH

• Lack of luck (injury-wise) this season.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doby View Post
It is true. We have 2 first lines wingers but a great hole in center. Is it so difficult to see it Bob Gainey
Its not Carbo's fault, I realise that. Even I can't criticise Gainey so far. Plekanek before this years, was evaluate as a first line center. This years, he's not. Carbo divide first line ice time between Lapierre and Plekanek.

As for Gainey, we don't know how the market is. First of all, he needs to reevaluate the job he will does with Koivu and Plekanek. If teams wants big for they're top line center, we have to giving up on Plekanek. But it is worth it? For top line center we have to give bigs things. We need to reevaluate Plekanek potential, because I don't want Gainey to destroy the team for a center that Plekanek can be as good, or near in a short-medium time.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:20 AM
BigHab*

Just a few questions regarding the situation the team finds itself in presently...
*why don't we have a veteran backup for Carey?
*why does Kovalev play more after playing worse?
*what's with the love-in with Boullion?
*why don't we have more Canadian content on this team?
*why is Price always on his knees? where did he learn that from?
*why don't we have a D coach by now?
*where is our first line center going to come from?
*why shouldn't anyone be deemed 'expendable' when entertaining a trade?
*have any Habs playing the PP ever heard Howie Meeker's reasoning that you have to shoot it on the net if you want to score?

Personally, I think we need a shooting PP quarterback, first-line centerman and veteran goalie backup. Gainey needs to consider trading, letting go a number of the following: Brisebois, Boullion, Dandenault, Kovalev, Koivu, Begin, Laraques, Tanguay, Plekanec and one of either Price or Halak.

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:20 AM
j52

1. The Price is wrong! He is a goalie without an average glove hand, who flops on the ice constantly. He has not won a game for the team this year, but has lost several. He has killed morale by letting in at least one bad goal per game.
2. The players don't shoot the puck. They pass endlessly on the powerplay, but can't or won't shoot at the net.
3. The leaders , several K's , don't lead!
4. The killer B's (Bouillon, Begin, and Brisebois) are Hab killers. They play poorly, cough up the puck, and should not be on the team.
5. We need a pure goal scorer, not Laraque!

This team is playing itself into 10th place by year's end.
Gainey better step in now!

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Habitants

i was just thinking about this, and i came up with some key points. basically you must look at last season and find the differrence.

FIRST:kovalev and Pleks are no playing like they did last year. they were the 2 best players on the team, and this season they are not helping very much. i cant explain why, but this is obviously a key problem

SECOND: Injuries, last seaon the team was lucky enough to not have many injuries. but this year they have had some problems. missing important players for long periods. It has been nice to see some the others players step up and the teams depth has been tested. I am very happy with Maxpac and Dagger.but when a player returns from injury they take some time to get back up to speed, and all this player rotation disturbs chemistry.

THIRD: Goaltending. i love Price, and i am a big Halak supporter. i Know these guys are both young, but they need to be playing better. I realize Price missed some action, but he has been letting in some questionable goals on a regular basis. If the team wants to win, goaltending needs to be better. Not to say that it is the main problem, especially when the team is not scoring more than 2 goals per game, we need more scoring.

FOURTH: finally possibly yhe most important point. Expectation and how other teams anticipate the Canadiens. Obviously this season expectations are huge and the pressure is immense for the 100. Last season the Habs were not even on the radar, no one expected them to do anything. They were able to come in and take many teams by surprise, and in the end this is what led to such a succesfull season. The team is paying for that now. After last season other teams come to face the habs with an attitude that they are a tough team, and they step up their game. The habs are no longer the underdogs, and they are facing tougher adversity.

In the end i am still not worried at all. they are still on pace for similar record of last season despite all these issues. Also i am expecting Tanguay to have a big impact when he returns. I do expect Gainey to make a move to improve the team but i am not anticipating anything blockbuster. in my head Derek morris or Nick Boynton would be the best bang for your buck deal that would not require overpayment.

GO HABS GO!!!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Frank Doby

I agree, but Plek has not any confidence in his play this year. This affects directly Kovi and A. Kostitsyn. Those two can not receive the puck from their center, bring a center similar to Marc Savard, a fine passer. It is clear that the play of Kovi and Kostitsyn would be upgraded with a better center, they have the talent.

Frank Doby is offline   Reply With Quote