HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston and Toronto

Old
02-08-2009, 11:09 AM
chef223

vCash: 500
Boston and Toronto

TORONTO SUN: Mike Zeisberger reports Pavel Kubina is willing to waive his “no-trade” clause and provide the Maple Leafs with a list of teams if management were to approach him about accepting a trade.
BOSTON HERALD: Steve Conroy reports the Maple Leafs have been scouting the Bruins for the last three games
Kubina is exactly the type of defensemen that Boston is looking for to compete and Antropov and Poni have all been linked to Boston before as well. What type of deal do you think the two teams could be looking at? Kubina himself will land Boston's first , so please think before you answer. I don't see Boston trading away Wheeler, Kessel, or Lucic but if the Leafs are scouting the Bruins then someone who is playing on that roster is likely to be moved.

chef223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:16 AM
grabo84

Bruins can't afford Kubina. They might be interested in Antropov or Ponikarovsky, depending on the price. Beyond that, maybe players that can fit into a lesser role, but definitely not anybody who adds a lot of salary next year.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:18 AM
DaStinger
My Precious!

vCash: 477
Send a message via MSN to DaStinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Bruins can't afford Kubina. They might be interested in Antropov or Ponikarovsky, depending on the price. Beyond that, maybe players that can fit into a lesser role, but definitely not anybody who adds a lot of salary next year.
Yup you're right sir. I think we'd take either a 3rd line winger or a top 4 defenseman, but no matter how it shakes out we don't have room for salary next year.

DaStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:24 AM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef223 View Post
TORONTO SUN: Mike Zeisberger reports Pavel Kubina is willing to waive his “no-trade” clause and provide the Maple Leafs with a list of teams if management were to approach him about accepting a trade.
BOSTON HERALD: Steve Conroy reports the Maple Leafs have been scouting the Bruins for the last three games
Kubina is exactly the type of defensemen that Boston is looking for to compete and Antropov and Poni have all been linked to Boston before as well. What type of deal do you think the two teams could be looking at? Kubina himself will land Boston's first , so please think before you answer. I don't see Boston trading away Wheeler, Kessel, or Lucic but if the Leafs are scouting the Bruins then someone who is playing on that roster is likely to be moved.
I just can't see Boston being a serious trading partner. The problem with Kubina is that he still has 1 year remaining after this one at a rather large salary ($5 million cap hit). This is going to limit the teams that will be interested and it may also lower his value.

To look at this in terms of the cap...Boston currently has $42.6 million committed to the cap for next year. They will have to sign both Krejci and Kessel at probably about $4-5 million/year each and if they bring in Kubina they will be at about $55.6 million (best case scenario). All that and they still either have to sign or replace Thomas, Fernandez, Yelle, Axelsson, Hnidy and Hunwick with no cap space left.

I just can't see it happening and it is much more likely they go after somebody like Kuba who is a UFA at the end of the season. In this case most of the above mentioned problems go away.

Last edited by FlapJackKing: 02-08-2009 at 02:18 PM.
FlapJackKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:26 AM
chef223

Boston could easily move Fernandez to Toronto , ala Montreal last year with Huet and fit Kubina under contract. I know that Kessel and Krejci are both RFA's next year and both are going to be looking for hefty raises. Toronto would probably ask for Lashoff , salary dump and a pick.

Old
02-08-2009, 11:50 AM
4rde

Kobasew and Bergeron for Kubina

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:53 AM
chef223

It's sad that Toronto fans now would have to think twice about landing Bergeron, I hope that he remains healthy and can play out a full season without any concussion symptoms.

Old
02-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Boston could easily move Fernandez to Toronto , ala Montreal last year with Huet and fit Kubina under contract. I know that Kessel and Krejci are both RFA's next year and both are going to be looking for hefty raises. Toronto would probably ask for Lashoff , salary dump and a pick.
The problem isn't fitting him this year, it's next year. Manny is a pending UFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arde View Post
Kobasew and Bergeron for Kubina

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Acekicker123

I'd imagine someone like Dominic Moore would be the best fit for Boston.

They've already got a ton of firepower up front, and might want to add a good two-way 3rd liner for cheap.

Acekicker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Cappo40*

Kubina to Boston would result in mediocrity coming back to TOR with bad contracts so Kubina's can fit...

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Martyros

i think Boston is better off finding a player like Dupuis that can play a two-way game and won't cost alot

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:50 PM
OLUSAF

what is zach hamill's value to Boston?????? is antropov straight up for Hamill reasonable???

OLUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Cappo40*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLUSAF View Post
what is zach hamill's value to Boston?????? is antropov straight up for Hamill reasonable???
The cap..

Toronto would likely have to take a bunch of salary to make any trade with BOS..

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Nah...Hamill was just recently an 8th overall pick (IIRC)...while his value isn't as high as his draft status would suggest...he's worth more than Antropov for sure in my book...by a good margin...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:54 PM
mgeise

Quote:
The Bruins cannot add any more expensive, long term contracts. Their defense would be scary with Kubina back there as well, but they will have so much trouble locking up Kessel, Krejci, and Thomas this offseason that they cannot take on any more contracts like Kubina's.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:57 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Fernandez is not in Boston's plans next year; he is an impending UFA and they need his contract off the books. They could fit in Kubina's contract this year, but it would be near impossible in the future to fit under the cap with Kubina's contract.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:01 PM
OLUSAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappo619 View Post
The cap..

Toronto would likely have to take a bunch of salary to make any trade with BOS..
nhlnumbers.com has bos with 3 million left under the cap

OLUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:03 PM
4rde

Quote:
nhlnumbers.com has bos with 3 million left under the cap
Sturm injured.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Kubina makes no sense. Boston can't afford anything other then expiring contracts unless the same amount of money goes the other way.

The only guys that carry that kind of contract value on Boston are Savard, Bergeron, and Chara. So again, Kubina doesn't make sense.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:49 PM
bzer

Zach Hamill hasn't proved much in his first year at Providence. For now, Antropov's value would be higher...in my books.

bzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzer View Post
Zach Hamill hasn't proved much in his first year at Providence. For now, Antropov's value would be higher...in my books.
Considering he just came off surgery and Antropov is a UFA, Hamill's value is higher...in my books.

Old
02-08-2009, 01:55 PM
iPunch
#StandWithOttawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
Fernandez is not in Boston's plans next year; he is an impending UFA and they need his contract off the books. They could fit in Kubina's contract this year, but it would be near impossible in the future to fit under the cap with Kubina's contract.
Maybe Fernandez is the kind of guy Burke was talking about when he said he was willing to sell capspace for players that would be UFAs at the end of the season?

Fernandez
pick/prospect

for

Marlie player

Dunno, Im just speculating

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Deal Sealer

Send a message via MSN to Deal Sealer
I'm not so sure I would agree with that assesment. If Chia sees Antropov who can play wing on the second line and even come in on the second PP unit to screen the goalie and tip some point shots on goal Chiarelli would consider making the deal. Then Antropov is UFA and they can focus on their RFAs in Kessel and Krejci.

Deal Sealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
chef223

Antropov's value is obviously higher, and with weak deadline this year as far as talent being moved Antropov will garner a nice return come March. By the way Hamill has taken a huge decline in Boston's prospect pool , since Colborne has been hot.

Old
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Maybe Fernandez is the kind of guy Burke was talking about when he said he was willing to sell capspace for players that would be UFAs at the end of the season?

Fernandez
pick/prospect

for

Marlie player
Seriously? Unless that "marlie player" is Luke Schenn, how on gods green earth does it make sense to give away the best statistical goalie in the NHL this season? Are you kidding me?